The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith Announces OB-6 Desktop Analog Synth Module
Old 23rd June 2016
News Desk Editor

Hardware Dave Smith Announces OB-6 Desktop Analog Synth Module

Dave Smith Announces OB-6 Desktop Analog Synth Module-ob-6-desktop-module.jpg

Dave Smith Instruments LLC today announced that they will begin shipping a desktop module version of their acclaimed OB-6 six-voice analog synthesizer in the early fall. Like the keyboard version, it boasts a sound engine inspired by Oberheim’s original SEM and features an all-analog signal path with discrete VCOs, VCAs, and filters. The knob-per-function front panel offers immediate access to virtually all parameters.

As Dave Smith explained: “The OB-6 has met with unprecedented approval from across the music industry. In just the four months since its release, it’s been adopted by an extraordinary number of artists and is already appearing in projects across the world.” Added Smith: “We wanted to make the desktop version available as quickly as possible to make it even easier for musicians to take it on the road or into the studio. We made it a priority that the desktop version retain the same powerful sound, and easy-to-use front panel interface as the keyboard version.”

Smith continued:
“We’ve also added a poly chain feature so that any two OB-6s can be paired for 12-voice polyphony. That is a monstrously big sound.”
The essence of OB-6’s vintage sound is its discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) and discrete, state-variable filter, both based on the classic Oberheim SEM (the core of Tom Oberheim’s acclaimed 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers). Voltage-controlled amplifiers complete the all-analog signal path. Said Tom Oberheim: “The desktop module sounds every bit as good as the OB-6 keyboard because, on the inside, it’s exactly the same — the same VCOs, VCFs, and VCAs and the same big, in-your-face SEM sound that people have always loved.”

The module weighs approximately 13 lbs (5.9 kg) and measures 20.75” L x 7.8” W x 4.4” H (52.0 cm x 19.8.cm x 11.2 cm).

The OB-6 desktop module will be available in the early fall with a projected MAP of $2,299.

Price and specifications subject to change.

Link : https://www.davesmithinstruments.com.../ob-6-desktop/
Attached Thumbnails
Dave Smith Announces OB-6 Desktop Analog Synth Module-ob-6-rear.jpg   Dave Smith Announces OB-6 Desktop Analog Synth Module-ob-6-desktop-module.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Addict

Very nice! My cup of tea
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

I prefer the look of this as they seem to have done away with the blue stripe design.
Old 24th June 2016
Old 25th June 2016
I just don't understand why you would make it so it wouldn't fit in a rack.
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I just don't understand why you would make it so it wouldn't fit in a rack.
That's why it's called a desktop module
Old 28th June 2016
Soon as I get a job I'm buying one.
How do you connect OB6 to a computer to use in a DAW and with my midi controller? Does one only need a USB cable?
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKII View Post
That's why it's called a desktop module
yea so what? it could have easily be both, you know, like many of their other DESKTOP MODULES (P12, P08). They wanted to save money somehow probably because a new board would have to be made to fit 19". It was a stupid decision.
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Pok View Post
Soon as I get a job I'm buying one.
How do you connect OB6 to a computer to use in a DAW and with my midi controller? Does one only need a USB cable?
yes and audio cables of course
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

As soon as I saw the OB-6, I knew I wanted a desktop module. I am very happy right now.
Old 29th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo Kid View Post
yes and audio cables of course
Thanks, looks like I'll need to buy an interface then only got a gaming sound card. I've been meaning to get a Babyface for some time so I'll get both one day.
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

Did anyone already check if you have the same access to buttons as the keyboard version, or do we have to go menu diving with the module?
Old 2nd August 2016
Gear Addict

I was really interested in the OB-6 but to find it only has 1 LFO for a synth that costs £2000 is a joke!
Old 2nd August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGee View Post
I was really interested in the OB-6 but to find it only has 1 LFO for a synth that costs £2000 is a joke!
fair criticism, but this synth is hardly a "joke" - have you played one? Heard it live?

Also, the X-Mod section allows you to use OSC 2 as a second LFO. And/Or to use the Filter envelope to modulate things too. Yes, you lose an Oscillator per voice, which is a trade off.

sure, a second LFO on the OB6 or P6 would have been nice. But the original Prophet 5 didn't have two. The OB Matrix 12 with it's myriad modulators will set you back quite a bit more (if you can find one ha)

If you want a 6-voice polysynth patch with two VCA oscillators and two analog LFO's per voice - you are going to spend way more than 2299USD, period!

If i need a crazy complex sound with nutso lfos modulating everything, i just a use a softsynth or Nord/Virus makes some damn good emulations of analog synths.
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Addict

Don't get me wrong I like the sound of the synth a lot from some of the demos I've heard, much more so than the Prophet 6 but for £2000+ losing the 2nd oscillator to gain a 2nd lfo is not something I can live with. It's not even about mad modulated sounds. 2 lfos is not a lot, use one for pwm and you're not even left with one to sweep the cutoff. Surely it wouldn't have cost that much to add an extra lfo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
fair criticism, but this synth is hardly a "joke" - have you played one? Heard it live?

Also, the X-Mod section allows you to use OSC 2 as a second LFO. And/Or to use the Filter envelope to modulate things too. Yes, you lose an Oscillator per voice, which is a trade off.

sure, a second LFO on the OB6 or P6 would have been nice. But the original Prophet 5 didn't have two. The OB Matrix 12 with it's myriad modulators will set you back quite a bit more (if you can find one ha)

If you want a 6-voice polysynth patch with two VCA oscillators and two analog LFO's per voice - you are going to spend way more than 2299USD, period!

If i need a crazy complex sound with nutso lfos modulating everything, i just a use a softsynth or Nord/Virus makes some damn good emulations of analog synths.
Old 3rd August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGee View Post
Don't get me wrong I like the sound of the synth a lot from some of the demos I've heard, much more so than the Prophet 6 but for £2000+ losing the 2nd oscillator to gain a 2nd lfo is not something I can live with. It's not even about mad modulated sounds. 2 lfos is not a lot, use one for pwm and you're not even left with one to sweep the cutoff. Surely it wouldn't have cost that much to add an extra lfo.
i find in practice the VCOs sound so good that the second oscillator isn't needed to create fat PWM sounds, because of the subosc. so i use osc 2 set to LF for Pulse width and the LFO for whatever else, and get some pretty nice tones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search