The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio 1073MPA - Dual Channel Preamp – $790
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Nut
Stam Audio 1073MPA - Dual Channel Preamp – $790

Stam Audio 1073MPA - Dual Channel Preamp – Limited Run - 100 Units

[Video and audio samples coming soon]

We are very happy to introduce the Stam 1073MPA, a faithful replica of a vintage 1973 British preamp considered by many the best and most sought after preamp ever produced and for the first time ever, it's affordable!

We have gone to great lengths to faithfully match the sonic characteristics and behaviour of the original using nothing but the best components available, leaving no detail unnoticed; Making our 1073MPA as distinctive and valuable as possible.

It features a Carnhill/St Ives input transformer that precisely matches the original Marinair and a Carnhill/St Ives output transformer. We also offer an optional Sowter output transformer which provides an extended bass frequency response and is even more similar to the original Marinair LO1166.

The Tantalum, Polystyrene and Vishay capacitors are the best components available, surpassing the audio quality of any other alternative, thus, staying true to the original components.

All our units are handmade and calibrated in our workshop in Chile, where they get a full health check twice and burn for 24 hours.

At Stam Audio sound quality is our priority. Every component of every unit is premium quality and carefully selected to ensure our units match, or even surpass, the quality of high-end boutique gear. This price is only possible by ordering in large batches and selling with small margins.

Technical Details

• Carnhill input and output transformers
• Optional Sowter output transformer
• True to the original 1073 schematic
• Tantalum and Polystyrene capacitors
• Vishay/BC capacitors
• 2N3055 output transistor
• Completely discrete signal path
• 70dB of Gain
• Trim
• Marconi style knobs
• 48V phantom power
• Impedance selection (300 – 1200 ohms)
• Less than 0.5% THD
• XLR inputs
• XLR and TRS outputs
• External power transformer (115V or 230V)
• Final assembly by hand in Chile
• 1-year warranty
• 30-day money back guarantee

Price
  • 990 USD (790 if you pre-order) with Carnill transformers;
  • 990 USD (890 if you pre-order) with Carnhill input transformer and Sowter output transformer.

To reserve your unit, a 200-dolar deposit is required. The rest must be paid before shipment.

Our Stam 1073MPA will start shipping in October. This is a limited run of 100 units that will sell out fast, so if you want to reserve yours, send your deposit via PayPal to [email protected]

Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with our latest news and check our photo album: https://www.facebook.com/stamaudio/

Feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited by DrUninstall; 2nd July 2016 at 05:03 PM..
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Nut
Stam Audio 1073 Audio samples 1

Here are some audio samples:
  • Here you can listen to a vocal track, processed through the Stam 1073MPA and next, the same vocal through an SSL preamp:

• Here's a comparison between a vocal track processed without and then with our SA-2A, the 1073MPA was used on the entire audio:

• Finally, here's a comparison of an acoustic guitar track without and then with our SA-2A, the 1073MPA was used on both examples:
Old 2nd June 2016

Congrats Miguel. Looks and sounds fantastic. All the best to you and Joshua and team. Hope you sell out all of these babies.
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Demulling View Post
Congrats Miguel. Looks and sounds fantastic. All the best to you and Joshua and team. Hope you sell out all of these babies.
Thank you for your feedback and best wishes, Derek!
A lot of time and work were put into this and we could not be happier with the results.

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

That's a fine sounding pre, Joshua. Love that mid thing the Neve does. If i was making decent money and not just maintaining a personal studio, I'd be down for 5 of those babies.

And that SA2A sounds just freaking amazing. I kick myself every time I think about them as I wish I had one in my rack.

I can't wait to strap the SA4000 across my buss!

Keep up the fine work!
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelbatalha View Post
Stam Audio 1073MPA - Dual Channel Preamp – Limited Run - 100 Units

[Video and audio samples coming soon]

We are very happy to introduce the Stam 1073MPA, a faithful replica of a vintage 1973 British preamp considered by many the best and most sought after preamp ever produced and for the first time ever, it's affordable!

We have gone to great lengths to faithfully match the sonic characteristics and behaviour of the original using nothing but the best components available, leaving no detail unnoticed; Making our 1073MPA as distinctive and valuable as possible.

It features a Carnhill/St Ives input transformer that precisely matches the original Marinair and a Carnhill/St Ives output transformer. We also offer an optional Sowter output transformer which provides an extended bass frequency response and is even more similar to the original Marinair LO1166.

The Tantalum, Polystyrene and Vishay capacitors are the best components available, surpassing the audio quality of any other alternative, thus, staying true to the original components.

All our units are handmade and calibrated in our workshop in Chile, where they get a full health check twice and burn for 24 hours.

At Stam Audio sound quality is our priority. Every component of every unit is premium quality and carefully selected to ensure our units match, or even surpass, the quality of high-end boutique gear. This price is only possible by ordering in large batches and selling with small margins.

Technical Details

• Carnhill input and output transformers
• Optional Sowter output transformer
• True to the original 1073 schematic
• Tantalum and Polystyrene capacitors
• Vishay/BC capacitors
• 2N3055 output transistor
• Completely discrete signal path
• 70dB of Gain
• Trim
• Marconi style knobs
• 48V phantom power
• Impedance selection (300 – 1200 ohms)
• Less than 0.5% THD
• XLR inputs
• XLR and TRS outputs
• External power transformer (115V or 230V)
• Final assembly by hand in Chile
• 1-year warranty
• 30-day money back guarantee

Price
  • 990 USD (790 if you pre-order) with Carnill transformers;
  • 990 USD (890 if you pre-order) with Carnhill input transformer and Sowter output transformer.

To reserve your unit, a 200-dolar deposit is required. The rest must be paid before shipment.

Our Stam 1073MPA will start shipping in September. This is a limited run of 100 units that will sell out fast, so if you want to reserve yours, send your deposit via PayPal to [email protected]

Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with our latest news and check our photo album: https://www.facebook.com/stamaudio/

Feel free to ask any questions!
Boo on the Limited Run
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quick question Josh, are the XLR and TRS outputs available simultaneously?
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Also, if possible could someone comment on the recorded vocals on where the trim was set, how much hair you can get overloading the input and what the difference in output trannies makes in that regard (if any.)

Thanks! Thinking of selling my racked pair of RCA Ba31a's and buying these...
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear
How does it look inside?
Old 2nd June 2016
Beautiful! This and the SA-2A will be magic. Now we need an EQ!
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear
Any discounts for sa2a and future sa4000 owners?
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does it look inside?
+1
Old 2nd June 2016
Here for the gear

I put my pre-order in for the Stam 1073MPA with Carnhill input transformers and Sowter output transformers. I can't wait to receive the SA-2A, SA4000, and now the 1073MPA.

Thanks for making it possible for musicians and engineers to buy legendary gear at a fraction of the cost!

~Phillip
Old 3rd June 2016
Company Rep
Hi Guys,

I will have pictures of the inside this weekend. I will also have some DI Bass samples that we recorded yesterday with a small video as well.

SA-4000 and SA-2A clients get a further 100 dollar disccount from the pre-order price but spots are limited. These will sell out fast.

Thanks for all your nice comments as always, any questions feel free to ask Miguel or myself.

Joshua
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Hey, Will you ship to Ireland? Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016
Company Rep
Yes, we ship worldwide.

Thanks!
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Addict

How different are the two output transformers? Any graph or audio demo?
Do you still have some sa2a left to bundle with one of this?
Thanks
Old 5th June 2016
Lives for gear
I'd love to hear this against another 1073! Would that be a possibility, Joshua?
Old 5th June 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Any discounts for sa2a and future sa4000 owners?
Yes! If you've ordered a SA-4000, expect an e-mail within the next 5 days that mentions said discount.
Old 5th June 2016
Lives for gear
In addition to hearing this against a 1073 or comparable recreation, it would be really great to hear the Carnhill output transformer against the Sowter. That would definitely influence my order!
Old 6th June 2016
Gear Addict

This looks great! How come you are only doing a limited run?
Old 9th June 2016
Company Rep
We will have new samples and vids very soon!

Limited run do to time constraints but we might do another run in the future.

There are 25 units left!
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
We will have new samples and vids very soon!

Limited run do to time constraints but we might do another run in the future.

There are 25 units left!
Man, I bought the SA-4000 and I´m very seriously thinking about getting this one too, but really, are samples to much to ask? should we always buy blind? Don´t get me wrong, for what I´ve heard of the SA-4000 (which wasn´t much) I´m quite happy to have bough it; but how about samples for this one? maybe photos of the inside? A comparison between this and an original Neve and a Bae?
Not trying at all to be nasty here at all, it´s just that I would like to buy more things from you, if it makes any sense ...
Cheers

Ale
Old 10th June 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Quick question Josh, are the XLR and TRS outputs available simultaneously?
We recommend not to use them simultaneously.

Cheers
Old 11th June 2016
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by alemarti View Post
Man, I bought the SA-4000 and I´m very seriously thinking about getting this one too, but really, are samples to much to ask? should we always buy blind? Don´t get me wrong, for what I´ve heard of the SA-4000 (which wasn´t much) I´m quite happy to have bough it; but how about samples for this one? maybe photos of the inside? A comparison between this and an original Neve and a Bae?
Not trying at all to be nasty here at all, it´s just that I would like to buy more things from you, if it makes any sense ...
Cheers

Ale
There are samples on the website, they have been there for over a year under audio samples. Those were recorded with the 1073MPA. Perhaps it´s not clear and I will add that information.

Photos of the inside will come shortly and more videos as well, thanks for ordering from us!

Joshua
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
How does it look inside?
+1
Old 13th June 2016
Here for the gear

I received 2 e-mails regarding the discount on the 1073MPA because I pre-ordered both the SA-2A and SA-4000 and was wondering if I would receive a $100 discount or a $200 discount since I'll have bought both?

I was also wondering since I already put my $200 pre-order down for the 1073MPA, would my discount will be applied once it is ready to ship? I figured I would post here so other people wouldn't have to keep bombarding you with the same questions. Thanks!

I can't wait to get my hands on all of this amazing gear!

Last edited by Phillip R.; 15th June 2016 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
There are samples on the website, they have been there for over a year under audio samples. Those were recorded with the 1073MPA. Perhaps it´s not clear and I will add that information.

Photos of the inside will come shortly and more videos as well, thanks for ordering from us!

Joshua
Hi Joshua, thanks for the response.
I listened to those tracks and they sound really good, that's why I'm interested in getting this one too ... and I understand that there's no video still if this is a pre-order with pre-order prices; thats all good.
My only thing is that I'd love to listen to "proper" sound samples - that is knowing which output tranny was used, comparisons using the same source, which mic was used, comparing with a vintage Neve, etc That would be great and the usual thing to do before buying a preamp ...

Anyways, hope we get those soon and that I keep it together and don't buy it before that

Cheers,

Ale
Old 13th June 2016
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by alemarti View Post
Hi Joshua, thanks for the response.
I listened to those tracks and they sound really good, that's why I'm interested in getting this one too ... and I understand that there's no video still if this is a pre-order with pre-order prices; thats all good.
My only thing is that I'd love to listen to "proper" sound samples - that is knowing which output tranny was used, comparisons using the same source, which mic was used, comparing with a vintage Neve, etc That would be great and the usual thing to do before buying a preamp ...

Anyways, hope we get those soon and that I keep it together and don't buy it before that

Cheers,

Ale
Yes, you are right about that, everytime I want to get around to it all units have been taken and I guess we rely more on mouth to mouth than samples. Client also tend to make videos like it has happened with the SA-2A.

I will take your advice of course and produce more videos in detail for next product releases and this one as well

Thanks!
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Nut
Hey everyone!

Here is a picture from the inside:

Channel 1 has the Sowter output transformer and Channel 2 the Carnhill output transformer. Resistors are soldered to the frontal switch on a PCB thus they are not visible on the picture.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search