The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AOM Invisible Limiter G2
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

AOM Invisible Limiter G2

Invisible Limiter G2 | A.O.M.

New limiter from AOM! Any opinions?

Focus on Limiting, Once Again

Loudness war is over, limiting just for loudness is no longer an issue, however, how we should limit signals is still an issue. Limiters continue to play one of crucial roles in mastering process, and become a more aggressive part in sound tuning.

Invisible Limiter G2 is focusing to allow precise control to user. Its basic algorithm is inherited from the predecessor Invisible Limiter, but there are a lot of enhancements, such as reduction shape controls, softknee, channel link, manual attack/release time, dither, side chain filter, etc. You will get huge amount of freedom.

Attack Shape:Soft Knee:
Easy Mode

The freedom of control also brings complexity and difficulties in learning. Invisible Limiter G2 offers "Easy Mode". In this mode, the limiter shows only essential controls for rapid learning and practical use.

Unity Gain Monitoring

Loudness affects to perception. Louder sound often brings better impression for listeners, but the same effect leads engineers to a wrong sound judgement.

The idea of Unity Gain Monitoring is simple – putting negative gain on output stage. The amount of negative gain is same as makeup gain. Using Unity Gain Monitoring, the makeup gain is cancelled and you can focus the sound difference through limiting.

Oversampling

Non-oversampling peak limiters have a problem on detecting peaks. The figure below shows peak detection of limiters. Non-oversampling(1x) samples and oversampling(8x) samples result a same analog waveform. Non-oversampling(1x) limiters cannot detect a true peak in resulting analog waveform. In contrast, oversampling(8x) limiters can detect and process the true peaks.

Note that Invisible Limiter G2 is true peak aware, but it is for sound, not for measurement. The limiter does not guarantee conformance to any true peak measurement specification.

There is an obscure but important improvement in oversampling low-pass filter. This kind of filter aims to remove ultrasonic frequencies in the middle of oversampling process. In Invisible Limiter the filter has achieved 70 to 80dB reduction, the corresponding part in Invisible Limiter G2 does 160dB.
Old 20th May 2016
Haven't tried it, but the previous version is fabulous. Gonna have to try this one out soon.
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

It might be wonderful but I'm not convinced about the "one year license" - $49 and after a year it stops working!
Old 20th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
It might be wonderful but I'm not convinced about the "one year license" - $49 and after a year it stops working!
Their "rental" model is the only one that makes sense to me. You can rent it for a year for $49 to try it out, if you like it you pay $150 for the lifetime license. Or you pay the $199 right away if you are sure about it.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Addict

Their old Invisible is already best on market. If this one is better, then there is no way someone can do better. I believe in Slate, but I think FG-X 2 won't be better.
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methull View Post
Their old Invisible is already best on market. If this one is better, then there is no way someone can do better. I believe in Slate, but I think FG-X 2 won't be better.
Agreed. I like the simplicity of the V1, how this one can be better on the easy mode?
Old 20th May 2016
Funny I was just tweaking Invisible Limiter when I read this!! Invisible Limiter V1 is the best on the market imo. Amazing what it can do with 5db of reduction or more.
If V2 is better then it's a no brainer.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
Their "rental" model is the only one that makes sense to me. You can rent it for a year for $49 to try it out, if you like it you pay $150 for the lifetime license. Or you pay the $199 right away if you are sure about it.
Yeah, that's actually not a bad model. Certainly gives you the chance to try it thoroughly before commiting to the purchase. It also shows that AOM has a lot of faith in their product, which is good.

On the other hand, since the entry barrier is so low, more people will rent it, put it all over their projects, and then be compelled to buy it when the year lapses to maintain compatibility.
Old 20th May 2016
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methull View Post
Their old Invisible is already best on market. If this one is better, then there is no way someone can do better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Funny I was just tweaking Invisible Limiter when I read this!! Invisible Limiter V1 is the best on the market imo. Amazing what it can do with 5db of reduction or more.
Limitless is better IMO.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
Limitless is better IMO.
+10000000
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Nut

I bought Invisible Limiter exactly 20 days ago and I never even got an email that an update is available for purchase. I am pretty pissed because....
1- I never got an email that an update was available for purchase
2- I just checked the update price and I would have to pay 99$ to update, and I just bought the first version 20 days ago

If this is how this company does business, it will be the last time I buy any plugins from them!

Last edited by Sayt0n; 21st May 2016 at 02:17 PM..
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Nut

So I just contacted support and they just told me that there is nothing they can do. If I want Invisible Limiter G2, I have to pay 99$ to update even though I just bought Invisible Limiter 20 days ago. They didn't even offer a discount. What a joke of a company!!! Last plugin I buy from them. Why would I pay 99$ to upgrade...if I put another 50$ and I can buy a completely new plugin cough cough "Limitless" which is from a completely different company.

Last edited by Sayt0n; 21st May 2016 at 02:36 PM..
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Maniac

bought it yesterday. low cpu usage and good sounding, but your 20 days over problem is bad. not the best move from the company.
Old 21st May 2016
Quote:
Limitless is better IMO.
Hmmm gotta check it out.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Hmmm gotta check it out.
Yeah it's a bit of a 'game changer' as far as limiters go tbh. Super flexible (if you want it to be), and some great innovative stuff going on under the hood.
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Nut

limitless is great, but the cpu usage/latency killed it for me. this one is, so far, my new fave, and will replace Elephant as my 'reference mastered mix' limiter...
(i've been A-B'ing this, elephant, and fabfilter's limiter all morning).
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherking View Post
limitless is great, but the cpu usage/latency killed it for me. this one is, so far, my new fave, and will replace Elephant as my 'reference mastered mix' limiter...
(i've been A-B'ing this, elephant, and fabfilter's limiter all morning).
Why is CPU usage/latency an issue for a mastering limiter?
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Why is CPU usage/latency an issue for a mastering limiter?
i use a limiter on the master out of Logic X, but only for making reference mixes for clients (they like hearing it 'big'). i use a real mastering engineer for the final releases.

so, am doing a lot of tweaking up until the last minute. and my mac struggled running limitless in this situation (but it IS a great limiter)...
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherking View Post
i use a limiter on the master out of Logic X, but only for making reference mixes for clients (they like hearing it 'big'). i use a real mastering engineer for the final releases.

so, am doing a lot of tweaking up until the last minute. and my mac struggled running limitless in this situation (but it IS a great limiter)...
I see. Yeah fair enough best use a limiter such as AOM G2 in such cases then.

I keep the high CPU/high latency stuff for when i'm mastering my own stuff for obvious reasons.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
So I just contacted support and they just told me that there is nothing they can do. If I want Invisible Limiter G2, I have to pay 99$ to update even though I just bought Invisible Limiter 20 days ago. They didn't even offer a discount. What a joke of a company!!! Last plugin I buy from them. Why would I pay 99$ to upgrade...if I put another 50$ and I can buy a completely new plugin cough cough "Limitless" which is from a completely different company.
EDIT:
OK, now I am confused. Did you pay $99 for version one of Invisible Limiter? If so, the $99 upgrade price is completely fair. Your total expenditure would be the same as anyone else who buys Invisible Limiter G2 right now.
However, if you paid more than $99 for Invisible version 1 and that was only 20 days ago, AOM should give you a discount so your total expenditure is not more than $199. It's called a grace period, and almost all companies do it.

Last edited by Squeegee 303; 21st May 2016 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: I apologize. I did not have al the facts.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Me too, that's not cool...
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Are there differences beetween version 1 and the new in easy mode? Any sonic improvements?
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
That is incredible. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will never buy a plug-in from this company.
Now, if they change their mind on this matter and contact you with some grace-period offer, please let us know. That might change my mind about them. But for now, I will definitely not be buying anything from them.
G2 is not a straightforward update from G1, but different product. And as for this case, $100 discounting is already applied to all existing Invisible Limiter Lifetime licensee, just independent from the timing of purchase. Note A.O.M. does not emit preliminary notification to anyone external, thus everyone is under a same condition.

btw I'm a bit weary to talk to such people of very offensive words...
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Are there differences beetween version 1 and the new in easy mode? Any sonic improvements?
When you use in Easy Mode without further tweaks, difference to G1 will be:
  • Completely rewritten oversampling engine.
  • New 'Modern' limiting mode is selected.
  • Stereo Link is set to 100%, means fully-linked.
  • Can use pre-limiting DC removal filter.
  • Can use built-in dither
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsuto Kubo View Post
G2 is not a straightforward update from G1, but different product. And as for this case, $100 discounting is already applied to all existing Invisible Limiter Lifetime licensee, just independent from the timing of purchase. Note A.O.M. does not emit preliminary notification to anyone external, thus everyone is under a same condition.

its not a question of being offensive or not. the problem is that I paid you maybe even 18-19 days before you released this product. every other company I know would have given a free update to their newest version considering the time frame. then, I re-messaged you to ask if you are sure that I have to pay the 100$ to upgrade, and you tell me yes. So what your tell me I have to pay the same amount of money as a customer who maybe bought your plugin a year or so ago and was now updating. So I just gave you the full money for a full license to a plugin that is now old, and 18-19 days after, you release this version (G2), and then you tell me I have to pay full upgrade price to update. I was waiting to see if maybe you would have even considered cutting it down to 50$ for my update since I paid you 18-19 days before you released this updated version publically. The response I got back from you was not the response I was hoping for. I'm just seriously really disappointed. Any other company would have given me a free update or at least, discounted my purchase.

Also, you keep telling everyone that this is a new product...it is a new product but it is an UPDATE to the existing one. If it wasn't an update, why did you name it the same and "G2" it!? Even the GUI looks the same. And why give people the option to update if its a new product!? You should be charging full price or have an into price.
Attached Thumbnails
AOM Invisible Limiter G2-aom-limiter.jpg  
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

I apologize for not having all the facts before I posted my comment. I assumed your customer paid $199 for version 1 and he was now being asked to pay an additional $99 for version G2.
If he only paid $99 for version 1, then the $99 upgrade fee is totally fair, and I apologize for my words that you found offensive. ごめんなさい。
However, in my opinion, if he paid more than $99 for Invisible version 1 and that was only 20 days ago, AOM should allow him to surrender his version 1 license and give him a discount so that his total expenditure for G2 is not more than $199. It's called a grace period, and almost all companies do it.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you use in Easy Mode without further tweaks, difference to G1 will be:
  • Completely rewritten oversampling engine.
  • New 'Modern' limiting mode is selected.
  • Stereo Link is set to 100%, means fully-linked.
  • Can use pre-limiting DC removal filter.
  • Can use built-in dither
Looks good, how it is on the Cpu?
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
I apologize for not having all the facts before I posted my comment. I assumed your customer paid $199 for version 1 and he was now being asked to pay an additional $99 for version G2.
If he paid more than $99 for Invisible version 1 and that was only 20 days ago, AOM should give him a discount so that his total expenditure is not more than $199. It's called a grace period, and almost all companies do it.
I bought the full version(lifetime) 18-19 days ago....before this version was publically released.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
I bought the full version(lifetime) 18-19 days ago....before this version was publically released.
How much did you pay for the full version when you bought it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search