The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Grace Design m108 ADC - 8 x 2 USB Audio Interface
Old 15th May 2016
Grace Design m108 ADC - 8 x 2 USB Audio Interface

m108
8 Channel Remote Controlled Mic Preamplifier / ADC

USA Retail $2,845.00

DAW system front end / 8X2 USB interface / remote recording / high-end sound reinforcement
From 25 years experience of creating acclaimed professional audio products, comes the latest evolution of our mic preamplifier design: the m108. With eight channels of our transparent, musical mic preamplification, state of the art A/D conversion, multiple digital output formats, and flexible local or remote controlled operation, the m108 is a vital addition to any modern audio production environment.

Unrivaled Performance
Based on the acclaimed success of our m802 remote controlled mic preamplifier, the m108 distills the best of these achievements into a sleek, elegant 1U chassis design. Our transformerless, transipedance mic preamp design is unmatched in its ability to effortlessly resolve complex sonic waveforms, resulting in recordings of amazing clarity and depth. Integrated A/D conversion delivers digital signals to the workstation that are pure and beautiful. Latest generation s-Lock PLL ensures pristine, jitter free sample clock when clocking from external word clock or Dante clock. And an asynchronous mode USB interface provides the best possible jitter performance when connected to a computer.

Simple Operation
A push-button rotary encoder is used for navigating and operation, with a user interface that is simple and intuitive. Dedicated push-buttons are assigned to core functions: 48V phantom power, phase reverse, channel grouping and meter peak clear. A crisp OLED screen displays complete system information, including channel gain settings, metering, peak status, and the system setup menu.

Powerful Configuration
Out of the box, the m108 is ready to go as a stand alone mic preamp / ADC. With integrated serial or MIDI control, the m108 can be confi gured in large channel-count remote systems, with control from our existing m802 hardware remote control unit, from Protools™, or our forthcoming m108 control computer utility. And an optional DANTE™ interface is provided for network audio configurations. The m108 control protocol is backward compatible with the m802 so you can add m108’s to an existing m802 system.

• 8 channels of balanced analog preamp outputs

• 8 channels of transparent, musical mic preamplier

• Wide gain range: -8 to 74dB

• Ribbon mic mode

• 8 channels of 192kHz ADC outputs via AES, ADAT (4ch SMUX) and USB Class 2

• External Word clock in and out

• Reference DAC and headphone amplier for low-latency monitoring of channel pairs or USB playback from a computer

• Channel 1 & 2 HI-Z inputs on front panel

• High contrast, wide viewing angle OLED display for all system parameters and setup menu

• Combination RS 485/422 serial / MIDI ports for control from existing m802 RCU or Protools™

• RJ45 Ethernet port for network control

• Expansion slot for optional Audinate / DANTE™ network audio card

• Cooling fan for reliable operation in the harshest environments

• Built in 100-240VAC universal AC power supply

• 5 year transferrable warranty

• Made in the USA
Old 15th May 2016
Gear Addict
Well Dayum........
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

Considering the quiality of Grace's products, I think that this is very well priced. I've been using Grace for years and the preamps are on the very top of the range - so many details and undamanged transients.

I am only wondering though about the build-in fan and any potential noise coming from the unit...
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

Cool but not for me... Looks good nice though.
Old 16th May 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyearbouti View Post
I am only wondering though about the build-in fan and any potential noise coming from the unit...
Fan..?
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Fan..?
I'm not a fan of the fan either. Unless it's optional...since I record in a climate controlled room and not the Sahara desert making the fan optional is hopefully apart of the package.
Old 16th May 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

If everything else fails, there's always this:

I pulled out the power cable for the fan inside my Sonnet PCIe box... Silence is golden.
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

"Reference DAC" = 'top quality, unsurpassable' or 'just for checking'
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

I stil have an old Lunatec V3 preamp, which has a build in ADC that is older generation than this one here. I can only say that it sounds amazing. In direct comparison to my Prism (Lyra/Titan) it steps a bit behind (the ADC part only - the pre has both analogue and digital outs, so makes an easy test). But it is not bad in any way - far better than the usual interface quiality ADCs on the market. I had an RME UFX (which I love for its reliability) and I can always tell in an blind AB test, which one is which. The Grace is just far more detailed and with very quick transient response - it doesn't sound plastic. So I can only assume that this one here will be at the very top end.
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I pulled out the power cable for the fan inside my Sonnet PCIe box... Silence is golden.
True, although it is very possible that it will only run in case it needs to. It might stay silent for most of the time. It may even be there for protection only...
Old 18th May 2016
Here for the gear

Fear not, the fan should only come on in extreme temperatures to protect the unit from overheating. If you have a stack of units in a rack with no space between them and you're at Red Rocks in July, then you can expect that the fan will come on. If they were spaced in a rack in a temp controlled studio or machine room, then the fan shouldn't come on. You won't need the cutters to disable the fan as it can simply be unplugged, but we won't cover any damage incurred from using the unit without the fan connected under warranty. We chose a fairly quiet fan so it really shouldn't be an issue.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Design View Post
Fear not, the fan should only come on in extreme temperatures to protect the unit from overheating.
This is exactly what I wanted to read. As long as it's physically turned off entirely in a climate controlled, well-ventilated rack then I'm sold.
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
m108
8 Channel Remote Controlled Mic Preamplifier / ADC

USA Retail $2,845.00

DAW system front end / 8X2 USB interface / remote recording / high-end sound reinforcement
From 25 years experience of creating acclaimed professional audio products, comes the latest evolution of our mic preamplifier design: the m108. With eight channels of our transparent, musical mic preamplification, state of the art A/D conversion, multiple digital output formats, and flexible local or remote controlled operation, the m108 is a vital addition to any modern audio production environment.

Unrivaled Performance
Based on the acclaimed success of our m802 remote controlled mic preamplifier, the m108 distills the best of these achievements into a sleek, elegant 1U chassis design. Our transformerless, transipedance mic preamp design is unmatched in its ability to effortlessly resolve complex sonic waveforms, resulting in recordings of amazing clarity and depth. Integrated A/D conversion delivers digital signals to the workstation that are pure and beautiful. Latest generation s-Lock PLL ensures pristine, jitter free sample clock when clocking from external word clock or Dante clock. And an asynchronous mode USB interface provides the best possible jitter performance when connected to a computer.

Simple Operation
A push-button rotary encoder is used for navigating and operation, with a user interface that is simple and intuitive. Dedicated push-buttons are assigned to core functions: 48V phantom power, phase reverse, channel grouping and meter peak clear. A crisp OLED screen displays complete system information, including channel gain settings, metering, peak status, and the system setup menu.

Powerful Configuration
Out of the box, the m108 is ready to go as a stand alone mic preamp / ADC. With integrated serial or MIDI control, the m108 can be confi gured in large channel-count remote systems, with control from our existing m802 hardware remote control unit, from Protools™, or our forthcoming m108 control computer utility. And an optional DANTE™ interface is provided for network audio configurations. The m108 control protocol is backward compatible with the m802 so you can add m108’s to an existing m802 system.

• 8 channels of balanced analog preamp outputs

• 8 channels of transparent, musical mic preamplier

• Wide gain range: -8 to 74dB

• Ribbon mic mode

• 8 channels of 192kHz ADC outputs via AES, ADAT (4ch SMUX) and USB Class 2

• External Word clock in and out

• Reference DAC and headphone amplier for low-latency monitoring of channel pairs or USB playback from a computer

• Channel 1 & 2 HI-Z inputs on front panel

• High contrast, wide viewing angle OLED display for all system parameters and setup menu

• Combination RS 485/422 serial / MIDI ports for control from existing m802 RCU or Protools™

• RJ45 Ethernet port for network control

• Expansion slot for optional Audinate / DANTE™ network audio card

• Cooling fan for reliable operation in the harshest environments

• Built in 100-240VAC universal AC power supply

• 5 year transferrable warranty

• Made in the USA
Made in the USA!!! Awesome! So this are the same design as your excisting Mic Pres?
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

It better be at that price however 8 pres... for 3 G's... sounds way too good to be true. I'd still rather just run with their pre on something else.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

Toe nail clippers?

Old 9th June 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post
Toe nail clippers?

Yes! Doesn't this one look just nasty? It looks like it'd take your entire toe off.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

I know ill get flamed but i have to ask what converter chip is used
Old 13th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I know ill get flamed but i have to ask what converter chip is used
We are using AKM's latest 8ch ADC the AK5578.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

This looks really nice. I record almost exclusively acoustic instruments (notice the name and pic) and this, together with my Apollo 8P seems like a match. Around here, performance is 90% of what goes on, gear needs to sound good, not take up too much space, be reliable, and never get in the way of the natural sound of the instruments. I have not used Grace but from what I understand, it does all that at a good price.
Old 24th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quick Qestion

Hey guys,

I'm new audio engineering and have been doing a lot of research so bear with me and my ignorance. My question concerning Grace Design's m108 is, where would I plug my monitors into to? I want to say it would require a XLR-male end with a TRS male end going into my speakers, which are KRK VXT 6.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
TheLoneWolf
Old 27th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneWolf View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new audio engineering and have been doing a lot of research so bear with me and my ignorance. My question concerning Grace Design's m108 is, where would I plug my monitors into to? I want to say it would require a XLR-male end with a TRS male end going into my speakers, which are KRK VXT 6.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
TheLoneWolf
We will have a control room out option for the m108 that will provide balanced 1/4" outputs for powered monitors. It's volume control will be linked with the headphone out volume control, but you will be able to have either both outs active or switch between headphone out and control room out.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Head

Is the USB interface class compliant? (Will it record to iOS?)

Any thought on a future AVB card?
Old 5th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
Is the USB interface class compliant? (Will it record to iOS?)

Any thought on a future AVB card?
The USB interface is class compliant and it can indeed be used with iOS.
There are currently no plans to offer AVB.
Old 13th July 2016
Here for the gear

Line Ins?

Will there be option to bypass the preamp to use as line input to the ADC section? Can line outs be sourced pre-ADC?

I'm in need of a new interface and considering this one, but no lines in (while I wouldn't be surprised) would be a bit of a deal breaker for me.
Old 23rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Been a long time since any new piece of gear has caught my eye - but this ....ah.

I am looking for clean gain, not "color" - which is easily had with all manner of plug ins. I record mostly acoustic instruments (jazz, folk and the like). This looks like the ticket. 8 channels of Grace to expand, lets say an Apogee Symphony.

Looks great - can`t wait for the reviews to come in.
Cdlt
Old 4th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhoffman View Post
Will there be option to bypass the preamp to use as line input to the ADC section? Can line outs be sourced pre-ADC?

I'm in need of a new interface and considering this one, but no lines in (while I wouldn't be surprised) would be a bit of a deal breaker for me.
The mic pre is always in circuit, but you can connect a line level signal and set the preamp to minimum gain for a suitable line in stage. The analog line outputs are pre-ADC.
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict

Anyone have hands-on experience with one of these yet that they'd like to share? Very curious...
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear
Monitoring?

I know this is more of a generalized Dante question, but... Let's say you have a pair of m108s that you're using like stage boxes. What are the options for monitoring back in the control room?

Or is it simply a matter of running the Dante virtual soundcard, creating an aggregate device, and sending audio to monitors via your favorite D/A converter?

Last edited by bwanajim; 9th January 2017 at 06:23 PM..
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I know this is more of a generalized Dante question, but... Let's say you have a pair of m108s that you're using like stage boxes. What are the options for monitoring back in the control room?

Or is it simply a matter of running the Dante virtual soundcard, creating an aggregate device, and sending audio to monitors via your favorite D/A converter?
Basically, yes. The m108 can be used to monitor a return from Dante, but for the situation you are talking about, you'll either need a Dante capable DAC or aggregating Virtual Soundcard with your DAC interface.
Old 11th January 2017
FYI, SoundonSound just reviewed the M108. They noted that the fan came on high at startup, then after bootup and initialization was quiet for hours. They were really pleased. That sort of fan behavior is normal for computers (and that's what the digital side of this device is, after all) and the fact that the fan can run at various speeds supports the idea that it should be silent in most circumstances.

Tourtelot (who hangs in the Location Recording Forum) should be receiving his unit in the near future. He's a fellow Dante enthusiast, and I'm looking forward to reading his reviews, as he'll be using it for on-location 96KHz recording with Dante connectivity to his recorder(s).

Remember that Dante devices only communicate with other Dante devices at the same sample rate, so if you look for a hardware remote monitoring solution, be sure it will run at the rates you'll be using with the M108. I believe the Amphe-Dante ($200) will run at 96 kHz, and provides a pair of XLRs to drive an amplifier or monitoring controller. The Focusrite RedNet AM2 ($400) includes a pair of outputs and a headphone amp with separate gain.

Anyway, the Grace M108 appears to be a great choice for a top-notch transparent preamp/AD converter, period, and the Dante option makes it even more versatile. It's at the top of my upgrade list.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search