The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Grace Design m108 ADC - 8 x 2 USB Audio Interface
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
If everything else fails, there's always this:

I pulled out the power cable for the fan inside my Sonnet PCIe box... Silence is golden.
Not always possible , i remeber my vs 700 fan i just disconnected it , the security kiked in , no way for the card to function then .... had to plug in it again ...
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Am I understanding things correctly, that the analog outputs on the M108 are only mic preamp direct outputs and not available to use as playback outputs from a DAW?

-Dan.
Old 19th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
Am I understanding things correctly, that the analog outputs on the M108 are only mic preamp direct outputs and not available to use as playback outputs from a DAW?

-Dan.
That is correct. The analog output is a buffered balanced output direct from the mic amp. The only path for DAW playback is 2 channels via USB or the Dante option through the stereo DAC which feeds the headphone out or control room out option. It is a possibility we can do an 8 channel DAC option for 8x8 USB functionality, but that is not in the works yet...
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Design View Post
That is correct. The analog output is a buffered balanced output direct from the mic amp. The only path for DAW playback is 2 channels via USB or the Dante option through the stereo DAC which feeds the headphone out or control room out option. It is a possibility we can do an 8 channel DAC option for 8x8 USB functionality, but that is not in the works yet...
Still quite useful for us location recordists who'll put one or two of these up to connect our microphones and drive a playback pair or talkback channel. I'm assuming that in Dante each M108 shows up as two receivers and eight transmitters?
Old 19th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Still quite useful for us location recordists who'll put one or two of these up to connect our microphones and drive a playback pair or talkback channel. I'm assuming that in Dante each M108 shows up as two receivers and eight transmitters?
When using Dante with the m108, you can transmit 8 channels from the m108 ADC and also receive 8 channels from your Dante network to the m108 monitor path. You can only select one pair of Dante channels for monitoring through the stereo DAC at a time though. This basically allows you to send up to 4 stereo mixes to an m108 over Dante.
Old 19th January 2017
Ah. Let me read that back to you. The M108 appears to Dante as an 8 transmitter/8 receiver device. But if I send 8 streams to the Dante card in the M108, I can only pick one pair (I'm assuming 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 rather than say 1/7) for DA conversion.

Do I have that correct?
Old 30th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Ah. Let me read that back to you. The M108 appears to Dante as an 8 transmitter/8 receiver device. But if I send 8 streams to the Dante card in the M108, I can only pick one pair (I'm assuming 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 rather than say 1/7) for DA conversion.

Do I have that correct?
Yup!
Old 7th February 2017
Hi im very intrested in this product. Congrats for coming up with this wonderfull set!

I was wondering if there is a sonic diference with your other 8 channel mic preamps or if they use the same pre?

Thanks
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Addict

Hello Sebastian,

You may find some answers on the Grace Design website here:
m108 mic preamplifier

Scroll down to the section titled "Curious about the differences between the m108 and the m802?"
Old 13th February 2017
Wonderfull!!! It explains it very well. Thanks!!!
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Addict

Just a friendly bump -- anyone have some hands-on experience yet with an m108 which they'd care to share?

I've read the available reviews that have been published so far, but it would be especially helpful to hear the thoughts of someone who does a good deal of location recording and has put the m108 through its paces in that regard.

Cheers,
Luke
Old 20th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Just a friendly bump -- anyone have some hands-on experience yet with an m108 which they'd care to share?

I've read the available reviews that have been published so far, but it would be especially helpful to hear the thoughts of someone who does a good deal of location recording and has put the m108 through its paces in that regard.

Cheers,
Luke
Come over to the location forum... One of our regular posters was expecting an M108 this month.
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Addict

Thanks Tim, will do!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
I'm trying out a Grace Design M108 at the moment. I used the DI to record a Martin acoustic guitar. A pleasant result was achieved. I then recorded a vocal track with a U87ai and compared it against my Buzz Audio MA.2.2. The Grace was much clearer and had a beautiful top end. The Buzz Audio was thicker and did not open up the top end like the Grace. So far I have been very impressed with the M108.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

Using it with vocals and i found the m108 deliver a lot of the depth.

Daniel.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I'm trying out a Grace Design M108 at the moment. I used the DI to record a Martin acoustic guitar. A pleasant result was achieved. I then recorded a vocal track with a U87ai and compared it against my Buzz Audio MA.2.2. The Grace was much clearer and had a beautiful top end. The Buzz Audio was thicker and did not open up the top end like the Grace. So far I have been very impressed with the M108.
I have an ma2.2 myself and have grace m101 pres. While not a 108, the grace 101 still sounds great but it does have a somewhat "hard" quality. My MA2.2 has a more open and dimensional sound than my Grace. Although as I said, they're not a 108 and it's possible that Grace has improved their sound with this new unit.

Does your MA2.2 have transformers? It sounds like you're describing transformer saturation. If you have them in your MA2.2, then only the TRS outputs will be transformerless. The XLR outputs will be transformered.

Later versions of the MA2.2 were available with Lundahls which are cleanish, but earlier ones were available with Sowters, which are heavily colored. I actually have an MA2.2 with the Sowter transformers. It's really great for tracking guitars because I take a feed off the XLRs and get dark and thick sowter color, and take a second feed off the TRS outputs and get an incredibly clean, open, and three dimensional sound and I can choose at mix time which I feel works better.

You'd have to check your serial number on the back to see if you have it. If you do, you'll have TX at the end of the serial number. But it still won't tell you what type - you'll have to open it and peek inside to see.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
The Buzz Audio MA.2.2 I have is a great unit and I will not be parting with it. I purchased it in 2013. It has the lundahl transformers. I have been very pleased with it and it has been my go to preamp for pianos, vocals, string instruments, and bass drum and snare.

I recorded an acoustic guitar track with A U87ai through the transformerless outputs and compared it with a U87ai going into the Grace M108 (using the same guitar part). The MA.2.2 was fuller (this time it was not thick and not compressed sounding as it was through transformer outputs) but it required a hi shelve EQ to fit it in the mix. The guitar track from the Grace M108 sat well in the without any EQ. Both guitar tracks were very good. I get the impression that with the Grace it will be possible to record many tracks without them competing as much for a place in the sound space. Synths sound really beautiful through the DI inputs. My Rickenbacker 4001 bass sounded fantastic through it. For the first time I was able to capture a wonderful DI ed bass sound without having to apply any EQ to sculpture the sound. Up until recently I was using a Manley Vox Box for those duties.

Overall, I am very impressed with the Grace M108. I was not expecting this performance.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
I ended up buying the Grace m108, keeping the Buzz Audio MA.2.2 and also getting a Pacifica and Aurora GTQ2.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear
My Coles 4038s sound lovely through the m108. The m108 has a setting for ribbon microphones. It certainly increases the level needed for ribbon microphones whilst not introducing noticeable noise.

The m108 sounds great on the following sources tested to date: vocals, acoustic guitar, toms, hi-hat and DIed bass and electric guitar.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search