The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 16: Dynaudio LYD Personal reference monitors Studio Monitors
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Hardware Messe 16: Dynaudio LYD Personal reference monitors

This is the Personal Reference monitor redefined. LYD is a complete redefinition of our own products, but we did not stop there. We redefined against competitors, we redefined against musicians, we redefined against everyone.

When we started our LYD project, we wanted to create the best nearfield monitor for artists working in smaller setups such as editing rooms and home studios. To do so, we had to look at our past – looking at everything that made our previous monitors great. After that, we went back to the drawing board to find out what we could achieve with the available platforms and technologies.

The outcome is the new LYD range: three monitors that speak to the creative at heart. These monitors help express creativity in every environment, but their true expertise is in small spaces, where their low volume precision comes into its own.

"Low volume precision is one of LYD’s key features"

Since the dawn of Dynaudio, craftsmanship has been an integral part of our legacy, and while LYD is a redefinition of our previous monitors, we have not disowned this characterizing trade. The 28 mm Soft Dome tweeter and three differently-sized MSP drive units – depending on model - used for LYD are still handcrafted in our Danish factory near Skanderborg.

Each handmade drive unit is well-cared for: fuelled individually by state-of-the-art Class-D amplifiers featuring 96kHz / 24-bit signal paths that make sure they have enough power to reproduce sound faithfully.

With our extensive research and know-how, we wanted to offer choices and opportunities for musicians, producers, and artists; options that enabled them to mix and edit their music with precision. To do so, we included an advanced DSP with two tuning presets for different setups, Sound Balance filters for adjusting the frequency response, and Bass Extension for moving the bass cut-off to the preferred position.

- DESIGNED FOR NEARFIELD LISTENING
- EXCELS AT LOW VOLUME PRECISION
- BUILT WITH HANDCRAFTED DRIVE UNITS
- MADE IN DENMARK

LYD 5
- Nearfield Monitor with 5" Woofer
- Bi-amped speaker design with 2 x 50W and state-of-the-art Class-D amplification
- Max. SPL (1m, pair): 106dB
- Crossover Freq.: 5200 Hz
- Freq. Response of 50Hz - 22kHz
- Bass extension to extend or curtail the low end frequency response
- Two different tunings: one for free standing and one designed for speakers within 50 cm of wall
- Sound balance to influence the overall response of the speaker
- Made in Denmark
- More info here
- Street price 499€ per unit.

LYD 7
- Nearfield Monitor with 7" Woofer
- Bi-amped speaker design with 2 x 50W and state-of-the-art Class-D amplification
- Max. SPL (1m, pair): 109dB
- Crossover freq.: 4300 Hz
- Freq. Response of 45Hz - 22kHz
- Two different tunings: one for free standing and one designed for speakers within 50 cm of wall
- Made in Denmark
- More info here
- Street price 599€ per unit.

LYD 8
- Nearfield Monitor with 8" Woofer
- Bi-amped speaker design with 50W HF/80W LF and state-of-the-art Class-D amplification
- Max. SPL (1m, pair): 112dB
- Crossover Freq.: 3900 Hz
- Freq. Response.: 45Hz - 22kHz
- Made in Denmark
- More info here
- Street price 699€ per unit.
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Nut

These look amazing!
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear
I dont get it, they seems very similar to the BM series but white.
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear

In fact, if we compare BM6 mk3 to LYD 7, for 100€ more BM gives you more power, SPL and a pair of Isoacoustics. We will need to wait for the first reviews to see what news LYD series bring. Being a home studio aimed series I was hoping a cheaper price, more a la Focal Alpha.
Old 11th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
In fact, if we compare BM6 mk3 to LYD 7, for 100€ more BM gives you more power, SPL and a pair of Isoacoustics. We will need to wait for the first reviews to see what news LYD series bring. Being a home studio aimed series I was hoping a cheaper price, more a la Focal Alpha.
Also class ab amps in the bm6 mk3 the class d in these and the bm5 mk3
Old 12th April 2016
Here for the gear
As for lyd 8 is concerned, as mentioned they can go down to 45hz it's not quite enough for 8inch woofer. It's very odd. Will be waiting for the first closer look about these new line.
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Nut

Yes on paper things seem similar, but from what I hear, they have changed a lot about the whole tuning and the new Amps are supposed to be a great deal better. From the specs the crossover has been increased a lot higher than the previous BM range, so it is most certainly going to sound quite a bit different.

Its fair to reserve judgements till we can actually hear them...
Old 12th April 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
Yes on paper things seem similar, but from what I hear, they have changed a lot about the whole tuning and the new Amps are supposed to be a great deal better. From the specs the crossover has been increased a lot higher than the previous BM range, so it is most certainly going to sound quite a bit different.

Its fair to reserve judgements till we can actually hear them...
It's very good for that matter especially if we talk about great frequency response and i guess all in one balanced. And as for comparison with the previous bm6 mklll is the new line lyd7/8 well upgrade in term of improvements if to choose between them...?
Old 16th April 2016
At this point I suppose it's superstition, but it bothers me that so many new monitors use dsp but don't offer an option for a digital input.
Old 20th April 2016
Lux
Gear Maniac

Cross over frequenzy

One thing that really differ compared to Bm series is cross over frequency. Lyd series has very high. Wonder why, Bm has around 1500 I think, and Lyd around 4000.
As example Amphions has 1600 as well as Opals.
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Doesn't mention a high frequency cut switch. On my BM6A MK1 and the BM15A they have a knob to cut up to -4 db (and I cut it -3db). The newer grey non DSP series replaced it with an inferior -1 db cut, that wasn't enough for me. So screw it I guess, a deaf ear bud generation must be what they are for. Ugly white color. BM6A Mk1 goes lower in hz than the largest.

Last edited by Mark D.; 29th May 2016 at 10:59 PM..
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

I don't know tons about DSP in powered monitors.....

why do they convert from analog to digital, when the drivers are analog?

i read the manual from website - no info.

any further info would be welcome.

Old 23rd May 2016
Converting to digital allows for the use of DSP based crossovers in addition to other types of DSP. The designers can more quickly iterate through different parameters, allowing for quicker development and more control to tune the drivers, cabinet, and crossovers.

I would guess they can also offer high quality crossovers at a lower price point, compared to using analog components.

There was a time a few years back when it looked like more monitor makers would offer digital inputs, but it never really picked up as a trend.

I figured that the challenges of controlling the monitor volume from the mix position were never worked out. There is a large base of installed analog monitor control systems out there. So they would have to include analog inputs anyway.

Genelec has a new series out that supports networked audio digital inputs, so maybe change is coming.
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear
Looks cool.. I just wonder ( I know digital is supposed to be more efficient) but why do most companies use such low watt amps for the woofers in Class D amps..?..50 watts just seems weak to push an 8" driver with good results when you consider some of the respected A/B 8" monitors of the same price range boasting 150- 240 watts per channel just for woofers..cellphone..What am I missing..?..
Old 3rd June 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Looks cool.. I just wonder ( I know digital is supposed to be more efficient) but why do most companies use such low watt amps for the woofers in Class D amps..?..50 watts just seems weak to push an 8" driver with good results when you consider some of the respected A/B 8" monitors of the same price range boasting 150- 240 watts per channel just for woofers..cellphone..What am I missing..?..
Class D amps are much more energy efficient, so less energy (in Watts) is wasted, and therefore used, to get to the same SPL in dB.

For example, if you look at the BM5 mk3 and BM6 mk3 monitors:

The BM6's amps are Class AB. The main driver is powered by a 100W amp and the tweeter by a 50W amp. Together they create a max SPL of 119dB at 1 meter.

The BM5's amps are Class D. Both the driver and the tweeter are powered by 50w amps. Together they create a max SPL of 118dB at 1 meter.

The Class D performs almost as well, using much less power.

Both 7" drivers.
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryo View Post
Class D amps are much more energy efficient, so less energy (in Watts) is wasted, and therefore used, to get to the same SPL in dB.

The BM6's amps are Class AB. The main driver is powered by a 100W amp and the tweeter by a 50W amp. Together they create a max SPL of 119dB at 1 meter.

The BM5's amps are Class D. Both the driver and the tweeter are powered by 50w amps. Together they create a max SPL of 118dB at 1 meter.

Both 7" drivers.
Hello.. Thanks for your reply.. I'm sure you are correct. I'm more or less talking sound wise..I guess I'm used to "slower" A/B sound..
Old 4th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryo View Post

Both 7" drivers.
It's not as significant as SPL but to add to your explanation, Class D amplifiers are smart in their weight, too. BM5 mk3 weighs 7.7kg whereas BM6 mk3 is 11.05 kg. The bigger the output the more the difference.
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Head

So....anybody in touch with LYD ?
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear

LYD are now available in Europe, I read.....

and in USA in August

anyone rockin' them in Europe?

Old 12th July 2016
Gear Nut

We've received stock of the LYD's in India (we distribute them here), so if you have any questions, I'll try and answer.

As for how they sound (even at the risk of being considered biased) - its a very different sound compared to the BM's - the new crossover tweaking and updated driver/amplifier combo deliver much improved detail and imaging/sound stage. Also while the specs may not reflect it, it sounds like the low end reproduction is much deeper and lower than the BM's and had us all surprised.

I'd strongly reccomend you go out and hear them when you have a chance.
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
We've received stock of the LYD's in India (we distribute them here), so if you have any questions, I'll try and answer.

As for how they sound (even at the risk of being considered biased) - its a very different sound compared to the BM's - the new crossover tweaking and updated driver/amplifier combo deliver much improved detail and imaging/sound stage. Also while the specs may not reflect it, it sounds like the low end reproduction is much deeper and lower than the BM's and had us all surprised.
great to know.

Old 14th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:

I'd strongly reccomend you go out and hear them when you have a chance.

It's a great news Reesnat.
Could you tell as , which one do you like most 5, 7 or 8. I mean general frequencies distribution, some smearing or lacking, transients etc ?
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESH_STUDIO View Post
It's a great news Reesnat.
Could you tell as , which one do you like most 5, 7 or 8. I mean general frequencies distribution, some smearing or lacking, transients etc ?
The LYD8's are my favourites so far. Very clean and effortless. The stereo imaging and separation of the instruments is remarkable, giving a real sense of 3D. Due to the high crossover, the vocals seem very natural from the woofer and the high frequencies (like hihats) glide over the top beautifully.

Today we did some comparative tests of the LYD7 and 8 against the Genelec 8040 and found the Genelec's to have very strong (almost boomy?) low end, but the LYD's were more restrained and tighter, while delivering much better detail across the rest of the spectrum.
Old 15th July 2016
Here for the gear
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Is any more difference between 7 & 8 than a little bit more aire movement capability? Does the 7s sound less restrained?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyzwid View Post
Here's a link to test the LYD:
Dynaudio LYD-5, LYD-7 und LYD-8 Test*::*Bonedo
Sadly, it doesn't seems to tell a lot, rather literally quoted manual with some remarks and with my poor german......
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Looking at the test and the graphs inside, 7s seems to have more low end than 8s , but 8s have a more even freq range (except for the last high octave).
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
The LYD8's are my favourites so far. Very clean and effortless. The stereo imaging and separation of the instruments is remarkable, giving a real sense of 3D. Due to the high crossover, the vocals seem very natural from the woofer and the high frequencies (like hihats) glide over the top beautifully.

Today we did some comparative tests of the LYD7 and 8 against the Genelec 8040 and found the Genelec's to have very strong (almost boomy?) low end, but the LYD's were more restrained and tighter, while delivering much better detail across the rest of the spectrum.

Thank you Reesnat

I'm surprised that Genelec 8040 takes over more bass / boomy or strong/ than LYD 8 / I guess you talking about 8 /. In my current room I've got 8040, and I'm so happy with overall balance and yes, bass is strong and big, but very well suited and tight .

I need a pair for my second control room and thinking about LYD 8 , but still got a doubt. They on paper are with less headroom than BM 12 mkiii -123 db spl vs 112 db for LYD8 and a few hertz less deep than BM12...which btw I don't think it's so important overall.

PS : Did you have a chance to try some back panel setings, how they interact with room acoustics ?
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESH_STUDIO View Post
Thank you Reesnat

I'm surprised that Genelec 8040 takes over more bass / boomy or strong/ than LYD 8 / I guess you talking about 8 /. In my current room I've got 8040, and I'm so happy with overall balance and yes, bass is strong and big, but very well suited and tight .

I need a pair for my second control room and thinking about LYD 8 , but still got a doubt. They on paper are with less headroom than BM 12 mkiii -123 db spl vs 112 db for LYD8 and a few hertz less deep than BM12...which btw I don't think it's so important overall.

PS : Did you have a chance to try some back panel setings, how they interact with room acoustics ?

In comparison to the 8040 - my personal opinion after hearing them side by side (including the LYD7) is that the Genelec's are better for listening to music but the LYD's are better for mixing as they are extremely unflattering.

The specs from BM vs LYD series are a mystery to me as the LYD's actually play a bit louder in my opinion. But the response is different (maybe that's why). They have a very clinical quality about them that reminds me a bit of the NS10 (but not as uninspiring or painful to listen to), this is a comment I would never make about the older BMs.

The settings again are a very different affair compared to others - we had the bass extension at -10hz pretty much all the time as this is the setting that allows the LYD to play at its lowest. The bright and dark settings tweak the characteristics fairly evenly, and we prefered the Neutral setting most of the time. The room setting (free vs wall) came in handy when we tested it at a clients untreated room where it was close to a wall and using the wall setting helped curb some of the buildup.

Overall the settings seem to be designed in such a way that they provide you some flexibility and options to taste but not using traditional EQs which obviously colour the sound in their own ways at the crossover point.

Bottom line with the LYD was that not everything we played sounded great on it, for example:

The new ColdPlay Album (Head full of dreams) is not mixed as well their previous albums in my opinion and that shows on the LYD - it made the mix sound a bit too dense and compressed.

On the contrary when listening to Random Access Memories by Daft Punk which is mixed brilliantly - sounds absolutely perfect and full of space, depth etc etc. It was a joy to listen to that album on the LYDs.

And after hearing a bunch of other albums in FLAC, we concluded that yes it does what a studio monitor should - makes good mixes sound good and bad ones sound bad.

Hopefully some of these comments help get an idea.
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
In comparison to the 8040 - my personal opinion after hearing them side by side (including the LYD7) is that the Genelec's are better for listening to music but the LYD's are better for mixing as they are extremely unflattering.

The specs from BM vs LYD series are a mystery to me as the LYD's actually play a bit louder in my opinion. But the response is different (maybe that's why). They have a very clinical quality about them that reminds me a bit of the NS10 (but not as uninspiring or painful to listen to), this is a comment I would never make about the older BMs.

The settings again are a very different affair compared to others - we had the bass extension at -10hz pretty much all the time as this is the setting that allows the LYD to play at its lowest. The bright and dark settings tweak the characteristics fairly evenly, and we prefered the Neutral setting most of the time. The room setting (free vs wall) came in handy when we tested it at a clients untreated room where it was close to a wall and using the wall setting helped curb some of the buildup.

Overall the settings seem to be designed in such a way that they provide you some flexibility and options to taste but not using traditional EQs which obviously colour the sound in their own ways at the crossover point.

Bottom line with the LYD was that not everything we played sounded great on it, for example:

The new ColdPlay Album (Head full of dreams) is not mixed as well their previous albums in my opinion and that shows on the LYD - it made the mix sound a bit too dense and compressed.

On the contrary when listening to Random Access Memories by Daft Punk which is mixed brilliantly - sounds absolutely perfect and full of space, depth etc etc. It was a joy to listen to that album on the LYDs.

And after hearing a bunch of other albums in FLAC, we concluded that yes it does what a studio monitor should - makes good mixes sound good and bad ones sound bad.

Hopefully some of these comments help get an idea.

Apparently, there is more than a cosmetic differences between BM and LYD range. I have to wait a little bit more till my local dealer got the first quantities .
If you've got some new experiences or comparisons with LYD, I'll be happy to share with us .

Thanks a lot Reesnat !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search