The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME announce new ADI-2 Pro 2 Channel Converter
Old 7th April 2016
Hardware RME announce new ADI-2 Pro 2 Channel Converter

[IMG]https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=550325&stc=1&d=****046959[/IMG]

Hi Everyone,

RME have announced the ADI-2 Pro. Their new 2 channel converter that supports sample rates of up to 768kHz!!!

The Reference Class for Conversion, Control & Measurement
New Experience in Sound and Quality
The ADI-2 Pro is RME's new reference AD/DA converter, USB 2.0 DAC, USB 2.0 interface and high-end headphone amplifier. It's design, unique specifications, user features and its ability to deliver crystal transparency, make it perfect for mastering and measurement applications as well as the ultimate tool for audiophiles everywhere.

TheADI-2 Pro boasts quality components and circuitry throughout its half rack design. With RME's fresh concept in Plug & Play, the comprehensive feature set is easy to set up and use. Based on your connections, the ADI-2 pro will automatically switch to AD/DA converter, USB interface or analog preamp mode. You can manually override the Auto Mode if required.

Analog or Digital - Options Galore
The ADI-2 Pro includes two servo-balanced analog inputs on combo XLR/ TRS jacks, two separate balanced and unbalanced outputs on XLR and TRS, two stereo 'Extreme Power' headphone outputs on the front, optical SPDIF I/O that also understands ADAT, and coaxial SPDIF (RCA) and AES I/O (XLR) via an included breakout cable. This universal set of I/O options offer quality and flexible connectivity to those who take a no-compromise approach to audio.

The USB 2.0 port is UAC 2 and is fully Class Compliant for connection with compatible iOS devices. and is also used for firmware updates. Including an external switched power supply with lockable connector, the ADI-2 Pro can be powered from battery easily, opening up mobile applications as well as galvanically isolated use cases.

Perfect Sound Capture and Reproduction
An integrated Sample Rate Converter solves any clocking problem between SPDIF and AES, with the help of RME's latest SteadyClock III technology. Thanks to the latest AD/DA converters and RME's own FPGA-based Class Compliant core, the ADI-2 Pro offers sample rates of up to a staggering 768kHz.
High Resolution Display Operation

RME's designers have incorporated many unique features, which are be found on any comparable devices, are controlled using the high-resolution display. The ADI-2 Pro includes 5-band parametric EQs for individual phone compensation, an adjustable bass/treble quick access, a binaural crossfeed function, adjustable loudness filter, selectable AD/DA filters and four analog reference levels.

Professional features such as M/S Processing, stereo width and phase reversal up to full control and storage of all settings are all included, as well as RME's famous Spectral Analyser, a 30-band bi-quad filtered analysis tool offering unprecedented musical visualisation, perfectly complementing the new IPS display.

“Extreme Power “ Headphone Output
The ADI-2 Pro is equipped with a newly designed head-phone output stage, which excels with 0.1 Ohm output impedance, a maximum output level of +22 dBu, and a maximum output power of 2.2 Watts per channel!

The headphone output enjoys the 120 dB SNR performance of the DA converters used on the line outputs resulting in virtually hum and noise free listening.

Synthax Audio UK is a pro audio distributed based in St. Albans, just north of London. Representing brands including RME, Ultrasone, Fairlight and Ferrofish, Synthax Audio UK is committed to offering the highest level of service to its ever growing customer base.

Link : RME ADI-2 Pro
Attached Thumbnails
RME announce new ADI-2 Pro 2 Channel Converter-zoom_rme_adi-2_pro_38620.jpg  
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Nut

This looks unreal!

Don't know, but Japanese people always have much more information than European - so I have googled and just found way more info about it here:

Musikmesse 2016 ADI-2 Pro - Synthax Japan Inc. [シンタックスジャパン]

Based on info from Synthax Japan, specs looks very promising!

- AD chip: AK5574

- DA chip: AK4490

- DSD support

- Opamps: TI SoundPlus range (I guess it will be something from OPA16xx range)

- THD: 0.00003 / -130dB !!! (looks like they've implemented some parallelization of AD/DA converters)

- Premium Nichicon MUSE capacitors

- Headphone amps also look unreal

- DigiCheck analyzer on IPS display (just wow!)

- Headphone Crossfeed feature

- Sample Rate Conversion

Shall I sell my Babyface Pro soon?

This is definitely on my watchlist. Good job RME!
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Nut

Nice RME
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Nut

Just found this on Youtube. Looks awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AUIEv247gE
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Nut

Looks great! Besides Mastering Studios, I think they are really aiming ate the high end HiFi market.

But in the video they say the main out gets muted when you plugging in headphones. I hope this is not the case because you often you left the headphones plugged in, at least me ;-)
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotzi View Post
Looks great! Besides Mastering Studios, I think they are really aiming ate the high end HiFi market.

But in the video they say the main out gets muted when you plugging in headphones. I hope this is not the case because you often you left the headphones plugged in, at least me ;-)
They should do a version with monitor controller functions.
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Addict

and the price is ?
Old 8th April 2016
Jtt
Gear Addict

and what does understands ADAT mean in the description?
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

768kHz ?

Did RME do this just because they can ?
Is there any app that supports this samplerate ?

Old 9th April 2016
Gear Nut

Watch the AK4490 chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
768kHz ?
Did RME do this just because they can ?
Is there any app that supports this samplerate ?
If the DAC chip is indeed the Asahi Kasei 4490 chip, as reported, the 768 kHz make sense, even in the case that no computer-side application supports this rate directly (yet).

AK4490EQ | Product | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices

Think DSD: the AK 4490 supports not just PCM, but also DSD256 (aka Quad-Rate DSD), with a sampling rate of 11.2896MHz.
Now do the maths, considering that, by specs, DSD256 ought to provide for equal division of both 44.1KHz multiples and 48KHz multiples. All in 32 bits, with five different built-in filters, according to AKM, and presumably some advanced noise-shaping (courtesy either of AKM or RME).

Even if you never get to use the actual 768kHz directly (most XMOS PCB I've worked with would cap out at 384kHz anyway), the high resolution processing capacity of the new chips is going to come in handy.
Old 9th April 2016
HNT
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
and what does understands ADAT mean in the description?
I guess it means that despite the connector type being optical S/PDIF, it recognizes the ADAT protocol, so you can use it to get an analog signal in from an AD/DA (that supports ADAT) converter, and then output it throught the ADI-2 outputs. Or in the opposite way: use ADI-2 ADAT output to get 8 digital outs to an AD/DA with ADAT (thus 8 analog outs at last).

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, since I'm not totally sure about that, and would love to know it to decide between it and the MADI Face Pro (planning to switch from traditional audio interfaces to Digital + Converters).
Old 9th April 2016
Does it have the Totalmix DSP FX like the Babyface?
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
and the price is ?
According to this info (http://www.modernhifi.de/rme-adi-2-pro-160408/):

1400 Euro
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.e.neumann View Post
If the DAC chip is indeed the Asahi Kasei 4490 chip, as reported, the 768 kHz make sense, even in the case that no computer-side application supports this rate directly (yet).

AK4490EQ | Product | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices

Think DSD: the AK 4490 supports not just PCM, but also DSD256 (aka Quad-Rate DSD), with a sampling rate of 11.2896MHz.
Now do the maths, considering that, by specs, DSD256 ought to provide for equal division of both 44.1KHz multiples and 48KHz multiples. All in 32 bits, with five different built-in filters, according to AKM, and presumably some advanced noise-shaping (courtesy either of AKM or RME).

Even if you never get to use the actual 768kHz directly (most XMOS PCB I've worked with would cap out at 384kHz anyway), the high resolution processing capacity of the new chips is going to come in handy.
Thanks for the explanation
It seems they were really just trying to push the envelope and see what´s possible today, just like the RME-Rep in the video said...
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
They should do a version with monitor controller functions.
Pretty sure the levels of the analogue out (monitors) can be controlled.

Does look like an awesome unit. Wonder how it will spec up compared to a Pure2?
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Head

Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Pretty sure the levels of the analogue out (monitors) can be controlled.

Does look like an awesome unit. Wonder how it will spec up compared to a Pure2?
But you also need functions for monitor switching and input selector.
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Oh My Root!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsguru85 View Post
This looks unreal!

Don't know, but Japanese people always have much more information than European - so I have googled and just found way more info about it here:

Musikmesse 2016 ADI-2 Pro - Synthax Japan Inc. [シンタックスジャパン]

Based on info from Synthax Japan, specs looks very promising!

- AD chip: AK5574

- DA chip: AK4490

- DSD support

- Opamps: TI SoundPlus range (I guess it will be something from OPA16xx range)

- THD: 0.00003 / -130dB !!! (looks like they've implemented some parallelization of AD/DA converters)

- Premium Nichicon MUSE capacitors

- Headphone amps also look unreal

- DigiCheck analyzer on IPS display (just wow!)

- Headphone Crossfeed feature

- Sample Rate Conversion

Shall I sell my Babyface Pro soon?

This is definitely on my watchlist. Good job RME!
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

I'm surprised there isn't at least a Thunderbolt option
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
I'm surprised there isn't at least a Thunderbolt option
That would take it to "interface" territory. Whereas this seems to be a pure convertor. Seems the USB is just for connecting to Ipods and such.

That said, I'm surprised there's no interface offering from RME between say a Babyface Pro, and a Pure2 !
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
That would take it to "interface" territory. Whereas this seems to be a pure convertor. Seems the USB is just for connecting to Ipods and such.

That said, I'm surprised there's no interface offering from RME between say a Babyface Pro, and a Pure2 !
I gather the USB does give it interface functions.

That they didn't include TB or USB3 has probably more to do with it not needing that much bandwidth, and also savings on cost.
Old 12th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I gather the USB does give it interface functions.

That they didn't include TB or USB3 has probably more to do with it not needing that much bandwidth, and also savings on cost.
USB will give you a class compliant interface but no Totalmix
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

...vs Hilo....
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Nut

I sadly hate BabyFace Pro form factor of a "hedgehog" (otherwise would jump on it), also don't need a totalmix that much (DAW is my mixer and provides effects) and this was looking just brilliant considering the prices I've seen for the current ADI-2. But then I have seen the rumoured price of 1400, which is more than 2x the price of the current one. Is this rumour grounded in reality somehow - does anyone know?
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Maniac

That's true!
But it looks like they wanted to make a contender for something like the Hilo or Pure2, a no-compromise converter.
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Head

f*** yeh it's an interface! exactly what I was looking for.
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Addict

After using RME converters and interfaces for over 10 years I had a chance to AB my Babyface against UAD Blackface Apollo in my studio today.
To my big surprise the Apollo had a 3D image/stereofield I had never experience before... This makes me wanna throw away the Babyface and get the Apollo. The only problem my studio computer does not have a thunderbolt connection. I wonder if this new interface is a step up in that direction and will it be at that level with Apollo because the old Babyface really s**ks :(
Old 14th April 2016
Quote:
For the record, it says 120dB when I translated it, not 130dB.
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolP View Post
After using RME converters and interfaces for over 10 years I had a chance to AB my Babyface against UAD Blackface Apollo in my studio today.
That'll be interesting to compare the specs (when they're published) of the two units! Think I heard 124db (dynamic range) on the AD side in one of the NAMM videos. Thats's probably better than the Apollo. If the DA is only 120db that might not be as good. Of couse there are other inportant specs too...
Old 15th April 2016
Who is this product for?
📝 Reply