The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME announce new ADI-2 Pro 2 Channel Converter
Old 23rd November 2017
  #181
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques View Post
I've got both an ADI-2 Pro and a Mytek Brooklyn here in the studio. Even though they are equally great sounding if I could have only one it would be the RME. Soundwise they're different but equally good, I can work easily with both, but feature wise the RME is just killer.
I agree, and let's not forget the headphones out, which are superior on RME, and also ADC, which is great as well. RME ADI-2 Pro is the best bang for the buck in the hi-end converter world
Old 2nd December 2017
  #182
Here for the gear
 

Agree. And it keeps getting better and better:

ADI-2 Pro / AE Firmware Update 150 DSP 85 (Page 1) — ADI-2 Pro — RME User Forum

Old 28th December 2017
  #183
Here for the gear
 

selling mine

If someone is interested I am selling mine in the classifieds.

Rme adi-2 pro
Old 28th December 2017
  #184
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
I wish they'd make an ADI-4 Pro.

Love this unit but need more IO.
Old 28th December 2017
  #185
Lives for gear
 
midmost's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I wish they'd make an ADI-4 Pro.

Love this unit but need more IO.
just buy two??!! lol
Old 22nd January 2018
  #186
Gear Nut
Wanted to chime in with my current experience with the unit for those interested;

I have a motu 1248 and 24ao which I use for summing and outboard processing and capture the final mix or inserts with a black lion audio white sparrow.
I LOVE the DA on the 1248 and 24ao but I am not the biggest fan of the AD conversion. it is good for recording but for analog inserts during mixing I feel like I loose some fidelity when capturing with the 1248, especially if using 44 khz or the internal clock (I know the debates about internal/external clocking, but I must say the black lion clock to my ears helps out with the motu). Anyway I got the adi-2 pro for another pair of good ad converters and also to use for remote recording when I only need one or two inputs.

First DA conversion:
The DA on the RME is great! That being said, so is the DA on the 1248 and I think they are similar enough that I would be happy using either. The RME takes the edge but only slightly. Noticeable with quiet sources with particular transients or the attack of various instruments.

Headphone amp: GREAT! can hear every details. noticeably better than the headphone amp on the 1248 (which I also very much like)

AD conversion: great aswell! I would say somewhere in between the 1248 and BLA white sparrow. Picks up all the detail without smearing and muddyness that the 1248 can sometimes add. That being said, it doesn't seem to react to transients and high frequency details aswell as the sparrow but I would be more than happy printing mixes with it and indeed have printed some mixes with as it helps balance the sound of particular tracks. It feels "honest" for lack of a better word, whereas the sparrow feels enhanced and perfected

The ability to switch between filters is also very cool. The slow filter at 88khz is awesome and having the option of printing with different filters opens up even more tonal possibilities.
Old 27th October 2018
  #187
Anyone know if it's possible to use ADI 2 Pro as an usb interface, with a 2in2out converter such as Pure2 via AES, and use digital and analog ins and outs at the same time?

So the Pure2 for my analog loop via AES, and ADI for monitoring and recording?
Old 29th October 2018
  #188
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to use ADI 2 Pro as an usb interface, with a 2in2out converter such as Pure2 via AES, and use digital and analog ins and outs at the same time?

So the Pure2 for my analog loop via AES, and ADI for monitoring and recording?
Im not 100% but I am pretty sure it can function as an interface using the digital inputs/outputs aswell as the analog inputs. I think its something like 6-8 outputs
Old 29th October 2018
  #189
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to use ADI 2 Pro as an usb interface, with a 2in2out converter such as Pure2 via AES, and use digital and analog ins and outs at the same time?

So the Pure2 for my analog loop via AES, and ADI for monitoring and recording?
Yes, you can do what you want to do. If you look on page 38 of the ADI-2 Pro User's Guide, in the diagram for "ADI-2 Pro USB Mode, 6/8 channels", you'll see that you can use the ADI-2 Pro conversion, AES converters, and SPDIF converters (coaxial OR optical) simultaneously.
Old 29th October 2018
  #190
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
Yes, you can do what you want to do. If you look on page 38 of the ADI-2 Pro User's Guide, in the diagram for "ADI-2 Pro USB Mode, 6/8 channels", you'll see that you can use the ADI-2 Pro conversion, AES converters, and SPDIF converters (coaxial OR optical) simultaneously.
Ok great thank you, then I'll order it. Just wish that the black version had rack mounting possibilities
Old 30th October 2018
  #191
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Ok great thank you, then I'll order it. Just wish that the black version had rack mounting possibilities
By "black version", just make sure you're referring to the following unit (which is an AD / DA converter):

RME: ADI-2 Pro FS Black Edition

...opposed to the following unit (which is just a DA converter):

RME: ADI-2 DAC

As the AD / DA converter is more expensive than the DA converter (for obvious reasons).

Nelson
Old 30th October 2018
  #192
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsona View Post
By "black version", just make sure you're referring to the following unit (which is an AD / DA converter):

RME: ADI-2 Pro FS Black Edition

...opposed to the following unit (which is just a DA converter):

RME: ADI-2 DAC

As the AD / DA converter is more expensive than the DA converter (for obvious reasons).

Nelson
Hehe yeah that would be pretty awkward!

Btw, anybody know if there's a way to rack mount the Black Edition, as it has no screw holes or anything. Would look way better in my black desk..
Old 30th October 2018
  #193
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Hehe yeah that would be pretty awkward!

Btw, anybody know if there's a way to rack mount the Black Edition, as it has no screw holes or anything. Would look way better in my black desk..
Looks like RME sell kits on their site. Not sure about black though.

RME: Accessories - Rackmounts
Old 30th October 2018
  #194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Looks like RME sell kits on their site. Not sure about black though.

RME: Accessories - Rackmounts
yeah the Black Edition for some reason doensn't have mounting holes, so I guess I have to pick the "ugly" version
Old 30th October 2018
  #195
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
yeah the Black Edition for some reason doensn't have mounting holes, so I guess I have to pick the "ugly" version
I have the ugly version, I actually find it quite nice.

An alternative for you would be to buy a single-unit rack-mount shelf. Then unscrew the 4 ADI-2 Pro feet, drill appropriate holes in the shelf, and mount the ADI-2 Pro using the same screws. There are also rack-mount shelves available that have holes pre-drilled in the most common locations.
Old 30th October 2018
  #196
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
I have the ugly version, I actually find it quite nice.

An alternative for you would be to buy a single-unit rack-mount shelf. Then unscrew the 4 ADI-2 Pro feet, drill appropriate holes in the shelf, and mount the ADI-2 Pro using the same screws. There are also rack-mount shelves available that have holes pre-drilled in the most common locations.
Thnx for the tip, but I think I'll just go with the version you have. Wonder why they removed the rack mounting holes on the Black Edition though..
Old 30th October 2018
  #197
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Thnx for the tip, but I think I'll just go with the version you have. Wonder why they removed the rack mounting holes on the Black Edition though..
I think it's marketed more towards the hifi crowd rather than for studio use. Hifi might be a larger market, so it might make sense.

I just wish RME would port TotalMixFX to the ADI-2 Pro. It could replace the current firmware, which I think is geared more towards the hifi crowd. Either/or, choose which firmware you want, it would make the ADI-2 Pro much more flexible.
Old 30th October 2018
  #198
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
I just wish RME would port TotalMixFX to the ADI-2 Pro. It could replace the current firmware, which I think is geared more towards the hifi crowd. Either/or, choose which firmware you want, it would make the ADI-2 Pro much more flexible.
I've addressed this in another ADI-2 Pro thread.

I think it's strictly a marketing decision. They can do it if they wanted to. They chose not to, perhaps they don't want it to hurt the sales of their other interfaces.

Menu diving isn't all that fun, especially one where you have to navigate through several levels.
Old 31st October 2018
  #199
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I've addressed this in another ADI-2 Pro thread.

I think it's strictly a marketing decision. They can do it if they wanted to. They chose not to, perhaps they don't want it to hurt the sales of their other interfaces.

Menu diving isn't all that fun, especially one where you have to navigate through several levels.
Yes, I'm sure it's a marketing decision. They want the ADI-2 Pro combined with something like a UFXPlus if you want TotalMixFX. That's a ridiculously expensive combo for a small or hobby studio.

A couple of days ago I picked up a MOTU 828es, which gives me all the features I'm looking for in an interface at half the price of a UFX2 or UFXPlus. I was worried about the MOTU Win 10 drivers, but so far it's even more stable than the UFXOriginal I sold a few months ago.

So the RME ADI-2 Pro combined with the MOTU 828es looks promising, but I have a lot of testing to do.
Old 5th November 2018
  #200
So I got the ADI Pro 2 FS the other day, and so far I'm loving it!

There's one thing I can't figure out though, I'm using it in the multichannel mode so I can use my Pure2 for the analog loop,
but I can't seem to figure out how I can monitor the incoming AES signal. Anybody know how, or if possible?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 68 views: 13764
Avatar for mixmuppet
mixmuppet 20th May 2015
replies: 453 views: 115780
Avatar for rameron
rameron 7th August 2020
replies: 1281 views: 170793
Avatar for markblockjzz
markblockjzz 7th May 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump