Messe 2016: Drawmer unveils new MC3.1 MONITOR CONTROLLER - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Messe 2016: Drawmer unveils new MC3.1 MONITOR CONTROLLER
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
I have just purchased an MC3.1, and I and wondering what cable I need to connect the SPDIF (RCA) output from my Motu 1248 to the combo jack on the digital input of the MC 3.1 - seems like RCA to 1/4"but I can't seem to find a 75 ohm cable like this for sale?
I think this (and a regular spdif-cable) would do the trick - how much impedance can a jack have ??
Messe 2016: Drawmer unveils new MC3.1 MONITOR CONTROLLER-jack.jpg

@ LesC - the digital input is indeed a combo jack according to the manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Messe 2016: Drawmer unveils new MC3.1 MONITOR CONTROLLER-jack.jpg  
Old 11th July 2017
Gear Addict

@ Helge - Oops, you're right, it's been changed since the picture at the top of this thread.
@ Hardtoe - If you're anywhere near the Toronto area I have several of the adapters that Helge mentioned that I no longer use. I'll gladly give you one.
Old 11th July 2017
Hi - thank you both for your help - I have bunch of those adapters, so I will just do that - wasn't sure if that was ok on a SPDIF cable that's all
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi - thank you both for your help - I have bunch of those adapters, so I will just do that - wasn't sure if that was ok on a SPDIF cable that's all
Please let us know how you would rate the conversion quality
...and may I ask what DA you were using so far ?
Old 12th July 2017
Will do Helge - I have been using a Motu 1248 clocked off an Apogee Big Ben (which I prefer to the internally clocked presentation), which I quite enjoy.

This 1248 sounds very clean and hi-fi, with an open spacial presentation - moved up to the 1248 from the older Firewire Apogee Ensemble, which sounded good, but was more closed in presentation.

Interested to see how the MC3 stacks up.

(Also, using Hedd's Type 07's for monitors, which are really fantastic 2 way speakers)
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
Just noticed there is no metering on this unit - does anyone see that as a major drawback?
Yeah, given all the thought that was put into this unit feature-wise, its pretty hard to believe they decided that metering wasn't needed. It shoulda gone right where that huge MC3.1 logo is. I still want one though. Lol.

Last edited by AudioKemestry; 1st August 2017 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Interested to see how the MC3 stacks up.

Still interested in first hand experience
Old 1st August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
Still interested in first hand experience
The MC3 DA is very clear and focused sounding, but I prefer my Motu 1248 Clocked off a big ben combo.

The 1248 just sounds a little more rounded, musical and deep to match my preference.

As a controller in general, the MC3 is great - solidly built, good feel and great features, but I would not get it for the DA if you already have one you like...
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The MC3 DA is very clear and focused sounding, but I prefer my Motu 1248 Clocked off a big ben combo.

The 1248 just sounds a little more rounded, musical and deep to match my preference.

As a controller in general, the MC3 is great - solidly built, good feel and great features, but I would not get it for the DA if you already have one you like...
Thanks alot - that helps. Guess it´s going to be tough to beat the myteks I´m running here anyway - but I really don´t want to get in the grace, avocet pricerange...
Old 26th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
Thanks alot - that helps. Guess it´s going to be tough to beat the myteks I´m running here anyway - but I really don´t want to get in the grace, avocet pricerange...
Just to update, I have to say that I have begun to admire the MC3's dac more after some usage - it's open, focused and clear with a lot of fine detail - not flattering, but accurate.

My Motu 1248 sounds more euphonic (softer focus and a bit more punchy, tight in presentation - a little larger then real life overall).

(both clocked off a BigBen 44.1)

I think that the MC3's dac may be the better tool for mixing - will try to work for it for the next batch of tracking & mixing and see how things shape up comparatively.

I may have been too quick to choose my old comfortable tone over accuracy.

Will update again in awhile....
Old 14th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just to update, I have to say that I have begun to admire the MC3's dac more after some usage - it's open, focused and clear with a lot of fine detail - not flattering, but accurate.

My Motu 1248 sounds more euphonic (softer focus and a bit more punchy, tight in presentation - a little larger then real life overall).

(both clocked off a BigBen 44.1)

I think that the MC3's dac may be the better tool for mixing - will try to work for it for the next batch of tracking & mixing and see how things shape up comparatively.

I may have been too quick to choose my old comfortable tone over accuracy.

Will update again in awhile....
Looking to pick up an MC3.1 unit soon. Any more updates on the D/A and overall workflow/quality?
Old 14th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkr View Post
Looking to pick up an MC3.1 unit soon. Any more updates on the D/A and overall workflow/quality?
Love the D/A with more use - super accurate and focused - like it a lot more than my Motu 1248, which is already decent, but it's a clear step up in its ability to allow solid mix decisions, due to hearing what's really going on without coloration.

Don't use a lot of the extra features so far, beyond input & speaker selection and the headphones amp, and mono checker (I am using with main monitors, b monitors and a sub) - haven't got into the freq solo bands much and have to do a bit of rewiring of the studio to use the talkback section, so that's still coming (but will be good for my workflow)

I love the size and chunkiness - really feels great under the hand and solid (like my Drawmer 1968 MkII that I have never had any issues with for years of faithful service) - That being said, something is a little strange with the big volume pot - it seem to have the tendency to be able to slide into a spot where it is in friction, but this is easily adjusted by wiggling the knob - I am going to contact Drawmer, and see what they say about getting it back up to normal - in any event, I am willing to work through this issue - Given Drawmers reputation for quality, I suspect it is not widespread, but an individual problem with my MC3.1.

Overall I love the sound and the feel - it's great for controlling monitoring when in the mix and when tracking

UPDATE - just to let you know about the knob, the scratchiness was actually a non-issue, user error, and the friction spot on the knob seems to be back to normal after a slight tweak on my end, no company contact needed - I think it was just jostled and was sitting funny - now it's all good and everything feels solid and smooth.

Last edited by Hardtoe; 25th October 2017 at 02:14 AM..
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Love the D/A with more use - super accurate and focused - like it a lot more than my Motu 1248, which is already decent, but it's a clear step up in its ability to allow solid mix decisions, due to hearing what's really going on without coloration.

Don't use a lot of the extra features so far, beyond input & speaker selection and the headphones amp, and mono checker (I am using with main monitors, b monitors and a sub) - haven't got into the freq solo bands much and have to do a bit of rewiring of the studio to use the talkback section, so that's still coming (but will be good for my workflow)

I love the size and chunkiness - really feels great under the hand and solid (like my Drawmer 1968 MkII that I have never had any issues with for years of faithful service) - That being said, something is a little strange with the big volume pot - it seem to have the tendency to be able to slide into a spot where it is in friction, but this is easily adjusted by wiggling the knob - I am going to contact Drawmer, and see what they say about getting it back up to normal - in any event, I am willing to work through this issue - Given Drawmers reputation for quality, I suspect it is not widespread, but an individual problem with my MC3.1.

Overall I love the sound and the feel - it's great for controlling monitoring when in the mix and when tracking

UPDATE - just to let you know about the knob, the scratchiness was actually a non-issue, user error, and the friction spot on the knob seems to be back to normal after a slight tweak on my end, no company contact needed - I think it was just jostled and was sitting funny - now it's all good and everything feels solid and smooth.
Good to know! Thanks for reporting.
Old 29th November 2017
Ok another update - turns out the scratchiness came back on the main volume knob, was not user error after all, but a failing pot that became more evident as time went on.

I contacted Drawmer about it and they gave me the option of sending it in (no dice - I'm using it) or dropping the replacement pot in myself (they sent the part at no charge) - I did the DIY route and it was fairly simple and the control is quiet again.

Colin the Drawmer tech who assisted me said "This is surprising as it shouldn't really wear out this fast.", but there is reports of multiple users having this issue over in the MC7.1 thread with MC2.1 controllers.

(Drawmer announces MC7.1 and CMC2 Monitor Controllers)

At the end of the day it's an easy fix and I love the MC3.1's sound and functionality, so not a deal breaker for me - it took me 10 minutes to replace the bad pot.

I am reporting here as I think it's good for other to know in case this issue pops up again, which seems likely (due to a run of bad pots)?
Old 21st April 2018
Just fyi, I have to replace my pot again - the replacement went bad...sending off another email to support now...
Old 23rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Hi!

I was just wondering. The noise you're experiencing, is that coming from the physical knob or is it coming through the speakers?

I have a MC3.1 too, and it's been weird since it was about 1 week old. There's a loud scratchy cracking noise when I turn the volume know while playing music. If I turn it with no music playing there's no noise, so the old trick of turning it up and down a few times doesn't help.

I can't send it back either cause I'd rather die than plugging in my old Big Knob again, so that DIY thing might be something for me.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just fyi, I have to replace my pot again - the replacement went bad...sending off another email to support now...
oh - on some of my basses I change strings less often than you´re replacing pots on the MC ...
Was support cool (replacement still under warranty) ?
Old 25th April 2018
To answer both posts above:

1 - The noise is in the speakers - a scratchyness that comes and goes, but can even degrade sound when the pot is in one position.

2- Support had been very good about sending me replacement pots, but keep insisting "This is surprising as it shouldn't really wear out this fast" the first time it happened and "this is strange" now - judging by reports on various GS threads, it is actually an issue for a significant amount of users - I am just using the controller as intended, it's definitely a pot issue - I think maybe these particular pots have a bad batch?

3- It is very easy to install the new pot - just unscrew the cover and remove the old pot / snap the replacement in - takes about 5 min once you know the lay of the unit

4- Other then this annoyance, I love the MC3.1 and plan to continue a long term relationship
Old 27th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
To answer both posts above:

1 - The noise is in the speakers - a scratchyness that comes and goes, but can even degrade sound when the pot is in one position.

2- Support had been very good about sending me replacement pots, but keep insisting "This is surprising as it shouldn't really wear out this fast" the first time it happened and "this is strange" now - judging by reports on various GS threads, it is actually an issue for a significant amount of users - I am just using the controller as intended, it's definitely a pot issue - I think maybe these particular pots have a bad batch?

3- It is very easy to install the new pot - just unscrew the cover and remove the old pot / snap the replacement in - takes about 5 min once you know the lay of the unit

4- Other then this annoyance, I love the MC3.1 and plan to continue a long term relationship
Ok, thanks!
I actually emailed Drawmer too and they replied right away with a "Send me your address and I'll have a replacement part sent out to you" so hopefully things will be a little less scratchy here soon.
Old 7th May 2018
Here for the gear

Update: Just got the replacement part and now it's working. Awesome!
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I got 3 or 4 replacement pots for my Drawmer MC2.1 and the only solution for the scratchiness was selling it. Drawmer has a problem with this and should be honest about it.
Old 6th June 2018
SLL
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmainardi View Post
I got 3 or 4 replacement pots for my Drawmer MC2.1 and the only solution for the scratchiness was selling it. Drawmer has a problem with this and should be honest about it.
Hmm... this could of cause be a few units out of thousands of units being shipped and sold?!

BUT.... there is always a but. I also fear these volume knob scratchy problems, since I've had these problems with those monitor controllers I've had before (Danfield monitor 2, SPL 2381).

The Danfield controller was a pretty expensive controller. the only thing that helped on the vol knob scratchy problems, was to let Danfield mount a much more expensive volume pot, that solved the problem back then. unfortunately the controller was haunted by all kinds of different problems, that probably was related to the fact that this monitor2 unit was handmade, and quality control wasn't that good. So I don't have any of the mentioned units any more, as I couldn't trust them, and the sound coming out of them.

About Drawmer support, I don't like the quoted sentence ""This is surprising as it shouldn't really wear out this fast". Well, it should probably last for many years, so to say that "it shouldn't wear out this fast", is not really comfortable to hear, if you buy a quality product.

I would rather hear this... "the pot should last for years to come, and not give you this problem. It's one of of tons of pots that unfortunately is faulty.....". It would make me more trustful, buying a CMC3 when it hits the stores.

Sidestep....
To be honest... I also hear the "home build" thing with the Drawmer controllers. But I rather have these units made with soldering / assembling robots. Not that there wouldn't be any failed units, there would. But humans makes errors. Just saying this, as I've had tons of problems with this home build Danfield controller, where many of the problems could have been fixed with more production control / time and test. Things were rushed out.
Old 25th August 2018
SLL
Gear Maniac

Any news on the Drawmer CMC3?

I'm still waiting for this unit, as it pretty much got what I need. And "if" the quality is better than the Mackie, presonus, SPL monitor controllers, I'm sold. I really like the idea of using the SPdif out of my RayDAT, running it into the CMC3 is possible. I thing this is a better signal way, than running the RayDAT out via ADAT to my RME ADI 8 AD/DA conv., and use these DA converters to the CMC3.

Isn't is about this time or earlier, that the CMC3 would be released to the public?
Old 25th August 2018
Still having to replace pots regularly over here - going to be onto #4 soon (Since July 2017, so averaging 4 months per replacement). Would Be nice if Drawmer would address this issues publicly and find a replacement that worked better
Old 25th August 2018
SLL
Gear Maniac

Thanks Hardtoe for the update on your case. Man, that's not good, replacement of the volume pot for the 4th time. Maybe Drawmer has delayed the CMC3 because of quality problems?

I know they want to be among the best in this price range. But if the controls are failing, it wouldn't be good for the reputation. I hope they get the grip on what goes on with the knobs.
Old 29th August 2018
SLL
Gear Maniac

Well, it seems like the new Drawmer CMC3 is on it's way out in stores. I can see, that Thomann Germany should have the CMC3 within a week, so that's positive news:
Drawmer Studio Monitor Controllers – Thomann UK

It could be nice to know how good the spdif DA convert is. And of cause also, if they've fixed pot problems, controller problems. In this price range, I would like to have proper components build in + a really good warranty in case anything should fail.

It's no secret, that I've looked at the Mackie Big Knob Studio+ , that could half of what the CMC3 cost, and should have some great preamps build in. I've tried more controller in the past (SPL 2381 & Danfield monitor controller), and I've never really thought about buying a cheaper unit before now, where almost all monitor controllers have some kind of fault within a year or so, in the price range where the Mackie's and Danfield's (Mc2.1, MC3.1, CMC2, CMC3) are in.

But what do I loose buying the CMC3, if the warranty and support are good here in Europe. I hope it is.

Any comments are welcome.
Old 29th August 2018
Well, the scratchy pot issue is my only concern and I am willing to keep using the MC3.1 despite the hassle of switching them out periodically (really just takes 5 min).

If the CMC3 has the same DA as the MC3.1, then I think it is really good - I prefer it to my Motu 1248 and to My UA 2192- sound the most specific and balanced to my ear with my monitors...
Old 29th August 2018
SLL
Gear Maniac

As long as Drawmer send out new pots in case of problems, then I'm sort of happy :-)
Of cause, there is a limit...
📝 Reply