The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focusrite Red 4 Pre
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Nut

Focusrite Red 4 Pre

It seems very good news.

https://us.focusrite.com/thunderbolt...faces/red-4pre

One interface, lots of protocols… lots of Ins and outs, near zero latency … (and pro tools hd/x interface also…!!)

Price expected to be €2699.99 inc vat …

Is this cheating ?!!! :-)
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Addict

Wow interesting. Focusrite seems to be making their way up to high end.
Old 18th March 2016
DSK
Lives for gear

Looks really good
Old 18th March 2016
Gee
Lives for gear

Exciting times to be shopping for converters. This one looks great!
Old 18th March 2016
Going at the new ensemble and Apollo necks. Looking forward to reviews / user feedback.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

I also think this is a very smart product. Much more convincing than any of the other Red interfaces - this can work in so many applications. And the price point is about right I think.
Old 18th March 2016
Got the email about this yesterday. Looks really promising. I have a Scarlett as a mobile converter and it always performs extremely well.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Addict
Awesome product really. I have been sitting on the fence between AVB and Dante ever since MOTU released their AVB range but Focusrite have continued to make it difficult for AVB. You can walk into any situation and be 100% your interface will be compatible and integrate well with any existing setups. Happy to see dual Thunderbolt ports and although the newer version 3 with USB-C has better specs there is still no support for it since no Mac computers currently features the port and the Windows computers with the port so far don't yet have support from Microsoft and developers for drivers. Maybe the inclusion of Thunderbolt 3 would be a way of also offering the first USB 3.1 interface since USB is the only protocol that will be missed by some. Also for Pro-Audio, Thunderbolt 2 is more than sufficient, in terms of bandwidth and latency, it is also still compatible with Thunderbolt 3 via an adapter. PCIe is still the best way to interface audio and ProTools HDX and HD-Native are industry leading in terms of performance. Including Dual Mini DigiLink connectors is great.

I believe it could be cheaper while I agree for such a rich feature set most will probably not complain. However Focusrite have been making Dante, Thunderbolt and ProTools HD interfaces for awhile now and benefit from savings made from economies of scale. The MOTU 1248 is almost $1k cheaper.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Head
Here's their website with some more detail: https://us.focusrite.com/red-4pre-in-depth?reload=1#air

This looks really, really, good. I have the Rednet 1 and love it. I'm guessing the preamps are the same as on the Rednet 4?
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Maniac

LOVE THIS!!

I guess Focusrite read my mind, because this is exactly what I need. Digi ports for my HD rig, with enough analog I/O for my stereo bus outboard and optical to connect to my DM2000. TB for when I'm using my MacBook Pro and Dante for live.

Price point to me is more then fair, considering it's going to replace my Avid Omni which cost more.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

I can't figure it out. Are the preamps, line inputs, and instrument inputs all on different converter inputs? The specs for analog 1-4 and 5-8 are different, so I assume they're not.

Regardless, this seems like the interface a lot of people have been waiting for, and a great way to get into Dante...
Old 19th March 2016
Here for the gear

A nice combination of modern interface features with DANTE. Great job!
Old 19th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
Happy to see dual Thunderbolt ports and although the newer version 3 with USB-C has better specs there is still no support for it since no Mac computers currently features the port and the Windows computers with the port so far don't yet have support from Microsoft and developers for drivers.
Actually the new Macbook has a USB3.1 connection.
There is no information about whether USB 3.1 offer similar performance and latency as PCIe/TB does.
Aside from that, Focusrite already started TB development for their last TB range.

The unit looks stunning, and using their PCIe Dante interfaces with converters on an almost daily basis, it is very promising regarding usability and quality.
Just really curious about their Windows TB drivers once they get released.
Old 19th March 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Actually the new Macbook has a USB3.1 connection.
There is no information about whether USB 3.1 offer similar performance and latency as PCIe/TB does.
Aside from that, Focusrite already started TB development for their last TB range.

The unit looks stunning, and using their PCIe Dante interfaces with converters on an almost daily basis, it is very promising regarding usability and quality.
Just really curious about their Windows TB drivers once they get released.
I thought the USB-C port on the Macbook had support upto only USB 3.0 (5Mbps) and not USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Mbps). This leads well to what I want to point out.

Is it possible to have an audio interface featuring a USB-C port that can function either as USB 3.1 (including older USB 2.0-3.0 via a USB-C to USB adapter) or Thunderbolt 3.0 (including older Thunderbolt 1.0-2.0 via a USB-C to Mini Displayport)?
How soon will we start seeing Thunderbolt 3.0 interfaces and more importantly getting Thunderbolt Windows drivers?

If the rumors are to be believed we only have a few more days before we have a new Macbook Pro with Skylake and Thunderbolt 3.0.

I have seen adapters starting to appear and wonder what (if any) the performance impact will be when using such an interface on newer computers on Thunderbolt 3.0.

This is a well thought out interface. I can imagine using it in my bedroom plugged to a laptop with Thunderbolt to lace some ideas before going to the studio and plugging it into the HDX Cards, and finally going for a gig and jumping on the Dante network.
Old 19th March 2016

Wow, excellent set of features. Nicely done Focusrite

matt
Old 20th March 2016
Here for the gear
I'm wandering here, how the DigiLink works on this unit. Does it behave as a host or a slave?

I' thinking of a studio upgrade from old Mac Pro ProTools HD with 3 Digi 192s to something more up to date (new Mac and thunderbolt based interfaces) was thinking of two Apollos, but now Focusrite made me think
Old 21st March 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio_C View Post
I'm wandering here, how the DigiLink works on this unit. Does it behave as a host or a slave?

I' thinking of a studio upgrade from old Mac Pro ProTools HD with 3 Digi 192s to something more up to date (new Mac and thunderbolt based interfaces) was thinking of two Apollos, but now Focusrite made me think
You can connect it directly to a HDX/HD-Native or the legacy cards, or slave it to another interface. You can also have other interfaces slaved to it. Each Mini-Digilink is recognised as two 192s to give 32ch I/O.
Old 21st March 2016
MGA
Gear Addict

Yep. Was going to purchase an Avid Omni and a DAD DX32 but this suits my needs to a tee. Working mostly with Yamaha CL series desks for live work so this will be great. Day one purchase when released.
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 View Post
Wow interesting. Focusrite seems to be making their way up to high end.
Well, they started high end, then added mid and lower tiers, eventually dropped their high end stuff, and now they are adding high end back again.
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

This product looks really cool but I was kind of hoping for 4 channels of their original Red preamp. Of course that's not going to happen at this price point though.
Old 25th March 2016
Gear Head

interesting. Focusrite seems to be making their way up to high end.[/QUOTE]

Lol dude Focusrite has been making high end equipment since day one. FYI Focusrite is one of Rupert Neves second and last company he started as its the little brother to Neve Electronics. Focusrite use to make those million dollar large format Mixing consoles back in the day as Rupert Neve sold his Neve Electronics company in 1985 and started Focusrite the same year. He sold Focusrite and his assets in 1989 to Sound craft founder CEO but they continued to make large format consoles in the Early 90s. You seem to be way too focused on the Safffire/Scarlett range as the RedNet, ISA, Forte, Liquid Channel are very high end products that Focusrite has made way before the Clarett and RED 4 Pre. The RED line was oringally made in 1995. Then you have the Blue line, high end Mastering grade Converters, EQs, Compressors... Focusrite is one of those big names like Universal Audio when taking about serious Pro gear. Chris Lord Alge uses the Red 3 and the RedNet Converters! Just thougt I give you a run down History of the company if you may not know.
Old 25th March 2016
MGA
Gear Addict

Bring back the ISA 215 I say. I'd buy one of those on day one release too....
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Finally!!

I mean, I know it's been out for a week or 2, but this is the Clarett I've been waiting for... Seems it was at the bottom of the to-do list?!?
Old 26th March 2016
Questions

Hi all,

Where does this sit in terms of the pro audio world? I know specs are far from the full story, but with parallel conversion paths, does this interface compete with the Symphony? Or is it more prosumer (T-Bolt Ensemble/UA Apollo)? Would a mastering facility use it (for its converters)?

Interestingly enough, Chris Lord-Alge seems to be using RedNet for his consoles and printing the 2-channel mix using a Symphony.

After checking the Focusrite page, these (RedNet) boxes seem to be famous for setups requiring huge channel counts such as touring rigs (as opposed to smaller high-end studios).

I guess I may have to test this box against some competitors for some answers...

Cheers,

Phil
Old 27th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Hi all,

Where does this sit in terms of the pro audio world? I know specs are far from the full story, but with parallel conversion paths, does this interface compete with the Symphony? Or is it more prosumer (T-Bolt Ensemble/UA Apollo)? Would a mastering facility use it (for its converters)?

Interestingly enough, Chris Lord-Alge seems to be using RedNet for his consoles and printing the 2-channel mix using a Symphony.

After checking the Focusrite page, these (RedNet) boxes seem to be famous for setups requiring huge channel counts such as touring rigs (as opposed to smaller high-end studios).

I guess I may have to test this box against some competitors for some answers...

Cheers,

Phil

I don't think he uses Apogee anymore as that was like before he got the RedNet system recently. He was still using the Sony digital tape machine at the time and then printing the outs of the sony playback to Protools via Apogee Symphony. Because when you think about, why would he be using more than one converter for his Pro Tools? I believe that's where the confusion is. He actually uses the RedNet 5 Protools HD Bridge and the RedNet I & II Converters. Pretty much went Focusrite all the way. Hope that makes sense. The RedNet Converters are pretty top notch high end with Larvy, MyTech, Lynx... In fact the USB Forte interface is based off the flagship RedNet system as it shares many of the same electronic components esp the same remote control Rednet 4 Pres. While the Red 4 Pre is a hybrid version of the RedNet. If you notice, the Red 4 Pre inherited the same software display from the Forte interface display. I would say it's more Pro Audio or both with all those I/O's that no one can really compete on with Dante. It Interfaces well the existing RedNet system. You can use it as a standalone converter I guess but, there are many mastering grade converters have dynamic ranges higher than 120 (db) A weighing. but at 121 (db) more than enough. The Rednet operates at 119 (db) both in and out. The Forte even operates at 117 (db) in and 118 (db)* out "equivalent to the Apollo Twin" converter performance as well as the clarett line operating 118 (db) in and 119 (db) out. Pretty much expect all modern higher end converters to operate in that range now a days with very low noise floor while competition heats up.

No Apogee in the video. https://youtu.be/zq7ZB68X5NY
Old 28th March 2016
Focusrite RED Products

Thanks for the input.

Both Apogee and Focusrite still list Chris Lord Alge as a user.

I should try and hunt down the link, but a user on here explained his setup; he uses the REDNET gear on the individual channels of his console/gear, and uses the Symphony to print his 2-buss.

If someone on here can update this information, or can correct it, then by all means.., please do so.

I've since emailed Focusrite with a number of questions. I'll report back as soon as I hear from them. I'm quite surprised with the lack of fanfare about this product, as their Clarett range has recieved many positive reviews.

I guess they just don't charge enough for their stuff!?

Cheers,
-Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 View Post
I don't think he uses Apogee anymore as that was like before he got the RedNet system recently. He was still using the Sony digital tape machine at the time and then printing the outs of the sony playback to Protools via Apogee Symphony. Because when you think about, why would he be using more than one converter for his Pro Tools? I believe that's where the confusion is. He actually uses the RedNet 5 Protools HD Bridge and the RedNet I & II Converters. Pretty much went Focusrite all the way. Hope that makes sense. The RedNet Converters are pretty top notch high end with Larvy, MyTech, Lynx... In fact the USB Forte interface is based off the flagship RedNet system as it shares many of the same electronic components esp the same remote control Rednet 4 Pres. While the Red 4 Pre is a hybrid version of the RedNet. If you notice, the Red 4 Pre inherited the same software display from the Forte interface display. I would say it's more Pro Audio or both with all those I/O's that no one can really compete on with Dante. It Interfaces well the existing RedNet system. You can use it as a standalone converter I guess but, there are many mastering grade converters have dynamic ranges higher than 120 (db) A weighing. but at 121 (db) more than enough. The Rednet operates at 119 (db) both in and out. The Forte even operates at 117 (db) in and 118 (db)* out "equivalent to the Apollo Twin" converter performance as well as the clarett line operating 118 (db) in and 119 (db) out. Pretty much expect all modern higher end converters to operate in that range now a days with very low noise floor while competition heats up.

No Apogee in the video. https://youtu.be/zq7ZB68X5NY
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Thanks for the input.

Both Apogee and Focusrite still list Chris Lord Alge as a user.

I should try and hunt down the link, but a user on here explained his setup; he uses the REDNET gear on the individual channels of his console/gear, and uses the Symphony to print his 2-buss.

If someone on here can update this information, or can correct it, then by all means.., please do so.

I've since emailed Focusrite with a number of questions. I'll report back as soon as I hear from them. I'm quite surprised with the lack of fanfare about this product, as their Clarett range has received many positive reviews.

I guess they just don't charge enough for their stuff!?

Cheers,
-Phil
He may be listed as both because he used them both. He was using Apogee from the beginning, but he just recent switched to Focusrite just a few years ago, as he hasn't had the Rednet system long. Here is the most recent video of his studio tour. No Apogee to found in his studio what so ever. He mentions his rednet system for printing at 23:19
This video is only 5 months old of 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81MKsU1CIAk

Chris Lord has two Rednet 5's, 32 tracks each which is Protools bridges that connects The analog console to his three Rednet 2 converters that connects to his DAW Computer that makes up to 48 tracks. That's his D to A to the Console. But he also uses it for printing back the outs of his console, A to D back in to his Protools DAW computer.

While this article mentions nothing about him using the rednet as of 2012. It mentions using the Apogee Symphony for printing because he was still using tape.Recording: Mixing With An Attitude: An Interview With Chris Lord Alge - Pro Sound Web

Some people do switch for many reasons as Apogee is not the only one that makes really good converters out there and by no means they are "all ways" the best as many have caught up to its digital conversion now a days as its not 2004 anymore. Not everyone in the industry uses Apogee as some use Antelope, Prism, Avid... Lots of great options out there besides Apogee. Heck, many people hear very little difference between the Forte vs the Duet 2. The rednet system replaced his old setup as he was using the Sony tape machine for play back to the console, while he was using the Apogee for recording the stereo outs of his mixing console at the time. Who ever said that he uses them both are way wrong haha as it wouldn't make any sense to have like 4 damn converters haha.
Old 2nd April 2016
There's very little info, but I get the impression that Red 4Pre is its own unique PTHD interface (not mimicking an HD I/O). Time will tell.
Old 4th April 2016
Pep
Here for the gear

I'm able to get this at 1.875 euro, in the Netherlands. Lucky me !
Release; May 2016

For other Dutch' people:
Professionele Audio & Studio Apparatuur - Helios Online

Might deliver outside the Netherlands. Not sure tho.

(Also, I'm NOT AT ALL associated with this company).

Peace,
Pep
Old 6th April 2016

One question. Am I right in understanding that this cannot be connected with Dante to your computer? The Dante is only for expansion?

The "Connectivity" section on its product page only lists Thunderbolt and Digilink.

I'm asking because my laptop doesn't have thunderbolt..

Actually, two questions, does this work with old HD cards too? The description seems to say it does:

"any Pro Tools | HD system" (actually, come to think of it, it doesn't specifically mention HDX.. but I assume it works with HDX?)

Matt
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search