The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focusrite Red 4 Pre
Old 14th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickDeckard View Post
@ JCRob . I bought a Red4Pre about a year ago. It's been rock solid on a 2012 Mac Mini, 2013 15" MacBook Pro, 2016 15" MacBook Pro, and i9-9900k Hackintosh.
This was via thunderbolt. I've never had a crack/pop, dropouts, or any other issues with this interface. 18 tracks drums on MacMini, 96k, buffer 32 and 64 - perfect.
I can't remember latency exactly at 96k, but I tested at 192k and Logic reported .8 ms roundtrip. No real tracking at this sample rate though - just tests.
I've also used DVS (Dante Virtual Soundcard) without issues on Windows and Mac, but Thunderbolt only on Mac. Have not used Digilink.

Apologies, Ive ran out of time to comment on conversion/preamps. Short answer though. Conversion definitely better. I can only say the preamps sound good, clean and have plenty of gain for mics that need it - SM7/RE20/BeyerM260/ for example.

Id' be happy to elaborate after work if it helps. Or PM you as well.

BTW, 2nd post on GS. Haha!

-Bill
Thanks for the reply Rick!! Awesome community here so happy your 2nd post is for me!!
It’s great news, and would like to know more if/when you can. For me is a thing of maybe “sacrificing” the comfort of having 8 preamps with the Clarett 8pre for connecting a Yammha module, Axe Fx, REDDI, Mics and having a spare channel for other peripherals. But if is noticeably better, then the offer might be very good for me.

Thanks again!
Old 14th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
My guess is you would be pretty happy with the 4Pre. The only downside I see is that the Rednet works a little differently then the focusrite control app, and if you were using this for custom headphone mixes, the Rednet app doesn't let you name each source or mix on the app.

I think this is a pretty big drawback and hopefully focusrite will update the Rednet app so you can name everything and have it show up with those names on the iOS app.

Also, I get a lot more "waiting for device to reconnect" from the ios app and then it fails to connect and you have close and reopen the app to get back into it. This happens for me pretty consistently if I turn the screen off, then reopen it. After that it will only reconnect if you close and reopen the app.
Thanks Ryan as well!

The Rednet with the Dante exp. is a great addition, and I’m a noob in that area, ‘though I’ve been working with the Presonus RML stage mixers and controllers...

On the other hand, it’s been impossible for me to hear some audio examples of that unit against other big names, so thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Just to note @ RyanC you can rename mixes and sources in RedNet Control when using a Red.

To rename a Mix, go to the Custom Mixes tab, select a Mix from the right sidebar and then double-click the name in the middle of the screen.

To rename an input/playback source, double-click just above the pan slider (by default it'll show a number in that box). This name change will show up in the FC iOS app as well.

If anyone on this thread needs any further information about the Reds (or any of our other products for that matter) then please feel free to get in touch with us directly: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
Jack
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFocusrite View Post
Just to note @ RyanC you can rename mixes and sources in RedNet Control when using a Red.

To rename a Mix, go to the Custom Mixes tab, select a Mix from the right sidebar and then double-click the name in the middle of the screen.

To rename an input/playback source, double-click just above the pan slider (by default it'll show a number in that box). This name change will show up in the FC iOS app as well.
Oh nice....I was trying to rename the actual source, didn't get that spot there.

Any ideas on the FC control app not wanting to reconnect?
Old 16th August 2019
Gear Maniac

@ RyanC - we're aware of a problem that causes the iOS app to disconnect if you lock the iOS device for a short length of time, that's not specific to your setup. I don't have a timescale for a fix at the moment I'm afraid so for the time being I'd recommend turning off the option to auto-lock the iOS device, at least while you're in a session using the app.

Best,
Jack
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFocusrite View Post
@ RyanC - we're aware of a problem that causes the iOS app to disconnect if you lock the iOS device for a short length of time, that's not specific to your setup. I don't have a timescale for a fix at the moment I'm afraid so for the time being I'd recommend turning off the option to auto-lock the iOS device, at least while you're in a session using the app.

Best,
Jack
Ok great, thanks Jack
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search