The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hacienda-labs Studer169 preamp and SSL4000E dynamic section upgraded reissue
Old 4th February 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Smile Hacienda-labs Studer169 preamp and SSL4000E dynamic section upgraded reissue

Dear,

I was surfing on the web looking for Studer169 preamp then i found this thing.
HL169:
Based on the rigorous Switzerland brand vintage mic pre, HL169 was developed in close collaboration between the picky sound engineers and electronicians from Les Studios de l'Hacienda (France).

HL4000:
Rediscover this compressor / gate section based on the dynamics of the mythical SSL4000E and taste the "Color" button.

It looks like to clone of mythic Mic pre and SSL dynamic section with some upgrad like discret HighPass filter on the 169 and "strange" color button on the HL4000. And the crazy thing is the price...

Have a look here
Attached Thumbnails
Hacienda-labs Studer169 preamp and SSL4000E dynamic section upgraded reissue-studer_ssl_169_neve_hacienda_labs_preamp_comp_carnhill_03.jpg  

Last edited by xarolium; 5th February 2016 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: add picture
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Don't want to piss on the parade.. but my 169 doesn't look anything like that INSIDE.. what the heck is this frankenstein??

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 5th February 2016 at 12:29 PM..
Old 5th February 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Don't want to piss on the parade.. but my 169 doesn't look anything like that INSIDE.. what the heck is this frankenstein??
Thid preamp seems to use Carnhill VT2499 OUTPUT transformer. A huge Brain inside
Attached Thumbnails
Hacienda-labs Studer169 preamp and SSL4000E dynamic section upgraded reissue-30-large_default.jpg  
Old 5th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Don't want to piss on the parade..
Then why do you?

I think these two are quite intesting - and the price point is VERY attractive.

The 169 was originally built using discrete components if I recall correctly - quite simple I believe.
Still, the circuit might be the same or similar, even though it looks differently.
Old 8th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
Then why do you?

The 169 was originally built using discrete components if I recall correctly - quite simple I believe.
Still, the circuit might be the same or similar, even though it looks differently.
well, price is attractive because its full of cheap cr*p.... a studer it ain't
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78
what the heck is this frankenstein??

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
well, price is attractive because its full of cheap cr*p.... a studer it ain't
What's with all the hate here? This preamp uses a modest (but perfectly acceptable) Neutrik transformer on the input and a very nice Carnhill OT. The 169 was originally a seven-transistor discrete circuit in front of a whole bunch of opamps (http://yhr95gdcd.com/studer_169-269_schems.pdf). This preamp appears to have the same seven transistors. I don't see any "cheap cr*p" in there, nor any reason to suspect it's anything but a Studer 169 clone. What gives?
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you are totally right. i looked at the wrong pic on their homepage....
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
Then why do you?

Because has nothing to do do with a studer 169 imho..
even less so with a carnhill output xformer, never existed a studer 169 like that, a toroidal xformer..

studer used the highest quality components available back then, plus serious engineers.. don't BS about the rigorous swiss brand, when the product is not up to that standard and it's a mashup of designs..sorry..

I'm not criticizing the product itself, even if I'm not to excited about it anyway, but more the "marketing" BS bla bla..
The only thing attractive is indeed the price here, sorry..

I'm sure the preamp might be useful to somebody looking for a specific sound with a tight budget.. but please, just don't sell it for something that is NOT: a studer 169 preamp.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 9th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Because has nothing to do do with a studer 169 imho..
even less so with a carnhill output xformer, never existed a studer 169 like that, a toroidal xformer..

studer used the highest quality components available back then, plus serious engineers.. don't BS about the rigorous swiss brand, when the product is not up to that standard and it's a mashup of designs..sorry..

I'm not criticizing the product itself, even if I'm not to excited about it anyway, but more the "marketing" BS bla bla..
The only thing attractive is indeed the price here, sorry..

I'm sure the preamp might be useful to somebody looking for a specific sound with a tight budget.. but please, just don't sell it for something that is NOT: a studer 169 preamp.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
You know you're talking about the Studer 169, right?
http://auxsend.net/consolecowboy/wp-...-MODULE_01.jpg

The 169 is a great sounding module, but there's nothing magic in it. They have more eletrolytics and slow opamps in the signal path than most people would be comfortable with these days. If anything, these new 500 series modules are probably an improvement. Also, nothing wrong with toroidal transformers. Seems like your main issue is that they're being built by a company that's not Swiss.

I have no idea if the build quality or sound of these is any good, but there's certainly no reason to doubt it based on a handful of photographs.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

You're right it's not a studer 169 preamp it's a Hacienda-labs HL169 preamp
the best way to get an opinion is to wait records or try.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRoomStudios View Post
You know you're talking about the Studer 169, right?
http://auxsend.net/consolecowboy/wp-...-MODULE_01.jpg

The 169 is a great sounding module, but there's nothing magic in it. They have more eletrolytics and slow opamps in the signal path than most people would be comfortable with these days. If anything, these new 500 series modules are probably an improvement. Also, nothing wrong with toroidal transformers. Seems like your main issue is that they're being built by a company that's not Swiss.
I really hope you're not implying a racist issue here, 'cause it's not really the case...

there are plenty of revered (and great sounding) preamps with a slow slew rate opamp.

I'd try to avoid a toroidal as an output xformer, if I could, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarolium View Post
You're right it's not a studer 169 preamp it's a Hacienda-labs HL169 preamp
the best way to get an opinion is to wait records or try.
Anyway it doesn't look like it's a 169, so why market it that way? That's the only gripe I have with this product.. it might sound fantastic for that price, I don't care, don't sell it for something that is not, trying to catch on the name of other gear..being american, english, german or whatever..

It's like marketing a red trabant like a ferrari testarossa remake, because of its glorious ferrari red..

whatever..
be happy

those are my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 10th February 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Anyway it doesn't look like it's a 169, so why market it that way? That's the only gripe I have with this product.. it might sound fantastic for that price, I don't care, don't sell it for something that is not,
Please compare both schematics. HL169 is not a 100% clone but very close to the original Studer 169 preamp design
Attached Thumbnails
Hacienda-labs Studer169 preamp and SSL4000E dynamic section upgraded reissue-hl-169-pre.jpg   Hacienda-labs Studer169 preamp and SSL4000E dynamic section upgraded reissue-original-studer-169-pre.jpg  
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow... this got weird fast: racist mic pres?

Reminds me of that quote from Diva a little, though:

"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Are we to be on about Neumann and Telefunken next?
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'd be interested in hearing the Dynamic section!
Old 23rd February 2016
Here for the gear
Hi everyone !!
I join this forum because after a lot of search about this products I bought the HL169 and the HL 4000
I have some API500 modules (Neve/Milenia...) and this two modules are amazing!!
A very good fabrication and the sound is GREAT !!!
The HL169 have a big "crystal" Gain (so good for my ribbons mics) but can make a nice coloration/saturation if I want for Snare/perc etc...
The DI is very good too ( on bass it's a real pleasure ;-)

The HL4000 is a real "ssl comp" very sensitive
I made a test with vocal... great !! with drums stems ... great!! with acoustic gtr ... great !!!
For me the best thing of this clone is the "color" button
this button change for me the compressor reaction and color !!! you have two compressor in one !!! it's very different and so good for different sources ;-)

my conclusion is simple : THIS IS PROFESSIONAL MODULES
I made a lot of test with my other module and no problem they stay in my lunchbox !!!! I keep in touch with this guy they make very good products
and the price is around 50% less !!!!!
DON'T WAIT !!! TEST IT !!!
πŸ“ Reply