The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TBProAudio releases AB_LM - Loudness Match and Gain Staging Plugin for Windows and Ma Equalizer Plugins
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Size doesn't matter to me. But you could, of course, make a GUI that can expand and diminish.
Right. We will consider this, thanks!
Old 29th June 2017
Looked into loudness matching plugins today and looked into this one because it was a better value than some of the others out there. WOW. A lot of the wow comes from the concept of loudness matching, but the plugin did all the work, and was pretty easy to use. I worked on a mix for a week and had several things on the master bus. The mix came out pretty good but I knew there were flaws. I demod this plug and was able to improve that mix at least 3 fold within an hour. It really goes to show how fooled I was by loudness. I've read some people say the gain can be off by some fractions of a DB, but even if it is the majority of the matching was there enough to really shape the mix properly. I was able to not only make the mix more dynamic and smooth, but I was also able to retain the loudness level I had on the original mix. Unbelievable. This is a game changer for me. Purchased and ready get into some mixes!
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 View Post
Looked into loudness matching plugins today and looked into this one because it was a better value than some of the others out there. WOW. ...
Thank you very much for your great feedback
Old 29th June 2017
I'm having a little trouble understanding the more advanced features of the plugin. I have tried reading this entire thread and the manual but still am confused, I'm hoping you can help me with a particular example.

Let's say I open up an old mix and want to clean it up a bit now that I have this plugin. For the sake of example let's say I have three plugins on the master bus, an EQ going into a compressor going into a limiter. Now setting the limiter would be easy because I can place AB_LM around just that limiter and match the loudness to the preFX signal and not have to worry about the signal level going into another plugin because it is the last in the chain. After tweaking the limiter, let's say I wanted to go backwards now and work on the compressor before it. If I place AB_LM around the compressor only, how can I set it up so the output gain of the compressor stays where it's at so it doesn't affect the amount of signal going into the limiter? Does matching the preFX signal to the original output level of the compressor actually change the amount of signal going into the compressor? Or does it just change how loud we hear it so we can affectively match? I'm afraid I try to match the preFX loudness to the original output level of the plugin, that it will change the ACTUAL level going into the compressor, which is undesirable because it doesn't allow me work on the original signal properties.

Also, whenever I try to hit the match button on preFX side, Pro Tools 12.5.0 crashes. Is there a fix for that?
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Also, whenever I try to hit the match button on preFX side, Pro Tools 12.5.0 crashes. Is there a fix for that?
Fixed with new version 1.4.8.
Old 30th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
Fixed with new version 1.4.8.
Where can I find 1.4.8? The website shows the latest version is 1.4.7..
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Where can I find 1.4.8? The website shows the latest version is 1.4.7..
Download section, just refresh your browser
Old 30th June 2017
Quote:
Download section, just refresh your browser
Thank you for the prompt support! That's a great quality in a business. Makes me want to check out some of your other products now!
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt support! That's a great quality in a business. Makes me want to check out some of your other products now!
Thank you!
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Let's say I open up an old mix and want to clean it up a bit now that I have this plugin. For the sake of example let's say I have three plugins on the master bus, an EQ going into a compressor going into a limiter. Now setting the limiter would be easy because I can place AB_LM around just that limiter and match the loudness to the preFX signal and not have to worry about the signal level going into another plugin because it is the last in the chain. After tweaking the limiter, let's say I wanted to go backwards now and work on the compressor before it. If I place AB_LM around the compressor only, how can I set it up so the output gain of the compressor stays where it's at so it doesn't affect the amount of signal going into the limiter?
With default settings (match mode == Auto) compressor input loudness equals to compressor output loudness, regardless what the compress does.

On top of it you can match the compressor input loudness with help of PreFX gain match with a certain reference level (e.g. -18 dBFS or 0 VU). In this case compressor input loudness == compressor output loudness == -18 dBFS. But please note that match mode “Auto” is only useful during evaluation of different wrapped plugin settings. If you are mixing, just switch match mode to “Manual”, and match PostFX gain once.

As you can see AB_LM could help you to work with a constant level (e.g. -18 dBFS) across several plugins. Just wrap each plugin, match PreFX to -18 and match manually PostFX gain to diff 0 dB.

Quote:
Does matching the preFX signal to the original output level of the compressor actually change the amount of signal going into the compressor? Or does it just change how loud we hear it so we can affectively match? I'm afraid I try to match the preFX loudness to the original output level of the plugin, that it will change the ACTUAL level going into the compressor, which is undesirable because it doesn't allow me work on the original signal properties.
As said, output level is matched to input level (default settings), so input level is not touched.
But if you enable “Inverse”, input level is matched to output level, so input level is changed.

I hope this helps :-)
Old 30th June 2017
Quote:
With default settings (match mode == Auto) compressor input loudness equals to compressor output loudness, regardless what the compress does.

On top of it you can match the compressor input loudness with help of PreFX gain match with a certain reference level (e.g. -18 dBFS or 0 VU). In this case compressor input loudness == compressor output loudness == -18 dBFS. But please note that match mode “Auto” is only useful during evaluation of different wrapped plugin settings. If you are mixing, just switch match mode to “Manual”, and match PostFX gain once.

As you can see AB_LM could help you to work with a constant level (e.g. -18 dBFS) across several plugins. Just wrap each plugin, match PreFX to -18 and match manually PostFX gain to diff 0 dB.

As said, output level is matched to input level (default settings), so input level is not touched.
But if you enable “Inverse”, input level is matched to output level, so input level is changed.

I hope this helps :-)
Well it's not immediately clear, but I will study your explanation and try to implement it. To be honest I won't need to use this plugin to back track mixes very often, as moving forward I will build the mix using the plugin.. so I will have made good decisions from the start. Thank you for taking the time to explain, I appreciate it.
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Addict

I wish there was a simpler version of this plugin. One that automatically matches input volume to output volume, and the only parameter to adjust should be the time constant. Preferably at half the price or free.

This is all I need to avoid getting fooled by plugins increasing volume without improving the sound as such.
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Maniac

This is a must have plugin, if you don't want to go the manual route. A video tutorial that answers some of the above questions is a good idea. kudos to tbproaudio.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

Update to 1.5.0
- NEW: GUI
- NEW: delta monitoring (sender receiver difference signal)
- NEW: global activate/deactivate, match mode, ABFX, drive and delta monitoring (shift mouse click)
- PostGain: stored automatically

Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict

Update to V1.5.1:
- Fix: Min/Max pre-gain/gain limits extended to -/+144 dB
- Fix: Meter display Post FX gain changed to exact opposite of Post FX diff
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Head

What is Delta Monitoring in layman's terms?
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassneck View Post
What is Delta Monitoring in layman's terms?
Delta monitor lets you listen to the difference of the signal before the sandwiched plug-in minus the signal signal after.
This mode monitors directly the impact of your plug-in on the audio signal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search