The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia announces iLoud Micro Monitor - the smallest studio reference monitor
Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

I'm not dodging anything. I already stated you shouldn't have such issues with purchases from authorized/official sources.

Also, our warranty is clearly expressed on our web site, please consult https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal/index.php?R=warranty for any details you need.

You've been working with our Support Manager (until you stated you were ending that discussion and would rather use Gearslutz as your platform) but if you have any other requests like some "personal vouching" or similar that is unclear to you from your previous discussions with him, my answers here, or the warranty details linked above, please reply to him and I'm sure he can continue to assist.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
I'm not dodging anything. I already stated you shouldn't have such issues with purchases from authorized/official sources.

Also, our warranty is clearly expressed on our web site, please consult https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal/index.php?R=warranty for any details you need.

You've been working with our Support Manager (until you stated you were ending that discussion and would rather use Gearslutz as your platform) but if you have any other requests like some "personal vouching" or similar that is unclear to you from your previous discussions with him, my answers here, or the warranty details linked above, please reply to him and I'm sure he can continue to assist.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Actually, your Support Manager definitively ended the discusion:
Quote:
After checking into this further, unfortunately, we are not able to assist you here with an exchange directly due to the unknown status of the units purchased from this unauthorized dealer.
My best suggestion here would be to continue to contact the seller and push for a refund or exchange.
You know what - I'm actually NOT going to leave this conversation. Post a recommended reseller for Cape Town, ZA, and I'll purchase and follow up here. Failing that, I'll purchase from Tuerk who I believe are authorized. You can confirm or deny that here.
Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

He didn't end it with that statement, except to give you the exact appropriate advice to return to your eBay seller. Sorry that is not what you were looking to hear but that is not unexpected from any company including IK. Please do so or reply to our Support Manager if you feel that isn't correct.

You can find our authorized dealers at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/dealers
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post

You can find our authorized dealers at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/dealers
Order placed from your own website:
Order No. 2019INT109703WEB
I'll be updating here.
Old 19th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyOfMind View Post
I get a ton of buzzing at A=440Hz using a digital piano sound. It seems to be the cabinet itself (I attempted to damp the grilles and literally everything else possible). I contacted iK support, but as I had bought (new) from an allegedly unauthorized eBay dealer they don't want to hear about it. It would cost more to ship them back (from South Africa) than they are worth. Recordings below (Kawai MP7 -10 dBV set at about 80%; iLoud set exactly at midway-volume position; Earthworks M30 into a TASCAM HS-P82). First recording has the mic dead in front, about 10cm. Second recording is about 1cm from the middle of the left side (hilariously bad).
http://qfactor.co.za/iLoudBuzz.wav
http://qfactor.co.za/iLoudBuzz2.wav

I would buy another pair from iK directly if I believed that they wouldn't suffer from the same problem - but tapping on the cabinet doesn't inspire me with confidence. I am also not going to be paying return shipping on any pair that is defective. If they want to take me up on my offer they are welcome to do so, but they will need to be confident that they can deliver a pair free of buzzes.

I usually mix on a calibrated pair of KRK RP10-3s, which may be an object of derision among the Genelec crowd, but they at least are entirely buzz-free. The iLouds would be rather convenient when travelling, if they worked.
Certainly annoying. Have you tried reproducing using a single tone generator (e.g. https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/)? That's how I was able to diagnose the port noise issue. Or even any other source besides the piano sound you made your recordings?
Old 20th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaberte View Post
Certainly annoying. Have you tried reproducing using a single tone generator (e.g. https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/)? That's how I was able to diagnose the port noise issue. Or even any other source besides the piano sound you made your recordings?
I am going to do better than that. I am preparing an exponentially swept sine test and will plot magnitude response and secondary distortion components (2nd, 3rd, etc) per frequency. That will be some time tomorrow or Friday when I get back to the office. I will repeat these measurements against the second set of speakers when they arrive. I will also log the input level and volume setting. The first quick test revealed the same buzzing at even moderate to low levels.

Last edited by SocietyOfMind; 20th November 2019 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Nut

Well, the second set arrived and they exhibit the exact same problems of cabinet resonance. Resonance is putting it mildly - it's rather loud buzzing, at multiple frequencies on some units. I tested them with an exponentially swept sine at slightly less than -13dBV, gain at dead mid position, limiting the low frequency to 100 Hz as the room was good but not perfect. Earthworks M30, TASCAM HS-P82. Distortion products up to the 7th order were calculated. At the end of all this, all I can say is that the speakers are relatively flat, but if you ever need to work on iso tracks or use them for critical listening (you know, like monitoring) they are going to disappoint in terms of mid frequency distortion. I know I find them unusable to monitor piano, but hey, others disagree. I'm honestly not going to bother trying to exchange these with Italy at this point. They can find a home with one of the laptops, or maybe they'll end up as slightly expensive stocking fillers for someone.

First the audio files and then the analysis (with serial numbers):
Left1
Right1
Left2
Right2

Amplitude, measured at the speaker input terminals:

Old 13th December 2019
Gear Nut

P.S. I think this could probably have been caught before mass manufacture and fixed with a thicker or denser cabinet.
Old 13th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well, the second set arrived and they exhibit the exact same problems of cabinet resonance. Resonance is putting it mildly - it's rather loud buzzing, at multiple frequencies on some units. I tested them with an exponentially swept sine at slightly less than -13dBV, gain at dead mid position, limiting the low frequency to 100 Hz as the room was good but not perfect. Earthworks M30, TASCAM HS-P82. Distortion products up to the 7th order were calculated. At the end of all this, all I can say is that the speakers are relatively flat, but if you ever need to work on iso tracks or use them for critical listening (you know, like monitoring) they are going to disappoint in terms of mid frequency distortion. I know I find them unusable to monitor piano, but hey, others disagree. I'm honestly not going to bother trying to exchange these with Italy at this point. They can find a home with one of the laptops, or maybe they'll end up as slightly expensive stocking fillers for someone.
This appears to be fairly convincing. No doubt some of the DSP to get that very flat response is introducing some of those harmonics.

For completeness, do you have another, better performing small monitor on which you can run the same test?
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

What SPL did you use for the test?
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
What SPL did you use for the test?
I can kick myself for not measuring it at the time, but back calculating from the gain, recorder measured FS of 11 dBu (and calibrated mic sensitivity of 36.9 mV/Pa) I get in the region of 89 dBSPL C @ 40 cm.

I can re-check this at some point, but that may be in the New Year.
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
This appears to be fairly convincing. No doubt some of the DSP to get that very flat response is introducing some of those harmonics.

For completeness, do you have another, better performing small monitor on which you can run the same test?
I don't, although anyone is welcome to send me a pair (to Cape Town ). My main pair is a set of KRK RP10-3 G3s (I know, I know...) which are definitely not as flat, although they don't buzz... I do have a small pair of B&W DM303s from ages ago that I would be curious to measure (subjectively they way outperformed their price point). I will see what I can set up but it's very much "end-of-the-year" and anything unnecessary is sort of falling off the shortlist.
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

If you have access to a competing small monitor, a measurement mic and a treated, flat room, here is the exact input sweep.

85 Hz to 21760 Hz (exactly 8 octaves for technical reasons), tapered low end to 100 Hz. I could analyse a couple of responses, but more than that would definitely fall off the shortlist...
Old 14th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I don't, although anyone is welcome to send me a pair (to Cape Town ). My main pair is a set of KRK RP10-3 G3s (I know, I know...) which are definitely not as flat, although they don't buzz... I do have a small pair of B&W DM303s from ages ago that I would be curious to measure (subjectively they way outperformed their price point). I will see what I can set up but it's very much "end-of-the-year" and anything unnecessary is sort of falling off the shortlist.
Using my L speaker (the one with all the controls), I can hear a rattle at around 110 to 150 Hz and buzzing from around 490-530 Hz (519 Hz especially) (and of course the port noise around 54 Hz, which can be treated by closing the port hole). I note that your charts of the L speaker also show some large harmonics in the range of 120 Hz and 520 Hz as well.

I should add that I don't hear these issues at moderate or low volume levels, only at mid-to-high volume levels. Further, I am doing nothing to isolate the speaker, no stand, no treatment, just sitting on its own feet on my desk.

I also never notice it when listening to music, only with pure tones.

My conclusion are that these speakers able to play very flat down to 60 Hz or so, and do with highly tuned signal processing (to compensate for the small enclosure and any issues with the drivers) to get these little boxes to sound quite musical top to bottom. To do so in this small of a speaker requires some trade-offs.

I very much enjoying traveling with them (which I do a lot), as I can find nothing at their size, weight and cost any where close. They are fantastic travel companions, and also break down and set up quickly. I love the available custom bag.

Also, they do well at my desk at work (I am not now a professional musician), where I rarely push them hard and have limited space.

If you need speakers for your main mixing desk, where size and weight are not at a premium, I am sure there are other speakers that deserve your attention. If you need speakers that travel well, I know of none better than these iLouds.
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you need speakers for your main mixing desk, where size and weight are not at a premium, I am sure there are other speakers that deserve your attention.
Which ones exactly?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarma View Post
Which ones exactly?
iLoud MTM
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just picked up a pair of these. I like everything else about them but jesus, that wheezing sound is beyond distracting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
I just picked up a pair of these. I like everything else about them but jesus, that wheezing sound is beyond distracting.
Sorry to hear of your troubles with sound, I've shot over a PM to see what could be going on here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles with sound, I've shot over a PM to see what could be going on here.
Replied! And thank you again for graciously reaching out to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search