Waves Audio Announces Waves Nx – a Virtual Mix Room Plugin - Page 25 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio Announces Waves Nx – a Virtual Mix Room Plugin
Old 12th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
They're already taking suggestions for what they should focus on added next to that list.
Is there an email address or place where we might make suggestions of models to add?
Old 13th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Is there an email address or place where we might make suggestions of models to add?
There is a poll in FB group right now.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

would love to see the Beyer's 880's 250s too! as well as the 1770s
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey guys, I have the Sennheiser HD 650s, noticed that the HD 600s are listed in the supported headphone list. Wondering if NX is still worth it for me?
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

So it seems the NX is not really worth without the head tracker clagnut? Wish waves would clearly indicate this on their product page. It should say "Dont buy this unless you have the head tracker hardware or at least a webcam". F41L.

Time to demo the Can Opener then
Old 5th April 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
To me, the dongle is next to useless and a bit of a gimmick. Nx is absolutely worth it without the head tracker.
Old 5th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osumosan View Post
To me, the dongle is next to useless and a bit of a gimmick. Nx is absolutely worth it without the head tracker.
I'm confused.. how can waves say that disabling head tracking turns off parts of the speaker modelling? Or does that apply to those surround modes only?
Old 5th April 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Maybe the 3D aspect of the mix is diminished if you don’t track your movement. I can’t attest to that because I only work in stereo. However, the theory is that head movement is necessary to perceive multiple dimensions in which case no plug in can simulate immersion without head tracking and you won’t find a replacement. I think Sony has an immersion system, but you’d have to hear from someone else about that.
Old 5th April 2020
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
A webcam works pretty well. What I thought was most critical are the head measurements.
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

I dont have a webcam either. O well, I'll see how I get on without the tracking, I bought the plug already so might as well see if its useful even without tracking.
Old 7th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
A webcam works pretty well. What I thought was most critical are the head measurements.
Should grab their Bluetooth HeadTracker, dude. It's much more effective. You also don't have to work with your face glued in front of the camera... That's a huge bonus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osumosan View Post
Maybe the 3D aspect of the mix is diminished if you don’t track your movement. I can’t attest to that because I only work in stereo.
It's good for that extra bit of immersion, but IMO, it isn't critical to anything having to do with actual mixing if you're working with it for stereo mixes. Most of us tend to try and stay within our mixing sweet spots when making important mixing tweaks anyway, rather than moving about.

Mixing in surround could be an entirely different situation though, but I have yet to try NX for anything but stereo.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Should grab their Bluetooth HeadTracker, dude. It's much more effective. You also don't have to work with your face glued in front of the camera... That's a huge bonus.
I'd also wager that using the bluetooth tracker instead of the camera is more CPU friendly
Old 7th April 2020
_gl
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The tracking isn't just for larger head movements, but the idea is that even micro-movements give subtle spatial cues that help to move the sound source out of your head.

I personally don't think it's essential, but it definitely helps make it seem natural, and I like the immersion.
Old 11th April 2020
Lives for gear

Ok, I finally installed the Nx, and measured my head size. Initial impression is that it feels a tad gimmicky, just diffuses the mid and high frequencies. Also a CPU hog even without the head tracking. The change in spatialization is the only thing that feels like it could be truly useful. And that ambience level control range is ridiculously calibrated - feels like its a copy paste from a reverb plugin lol

I think I'll be only using it for spot checks to gain a different perspective on the program material. Very unnatural sounding and smears all transients heavily.

Think I'll give the Can opener a try, it might suit me needs better.
Old 11th April 2020
_gl
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I found that the exact head measurements are crucial. Beyond measuring, try adjusting the values a decimal place up or down. my measurements didn't quite work, but when I hit the magic offsets, suddenly baml convincing positional audio. the difference was ridiculous. I have mine set so the virtual speaker positions match my real speakers in my studio. It genuinely sounds like sound is coming from the physical speakers, especially with the tracker (which keeps them where they're supposed to be as I move my head).

Last edited by _gl; 26th May 2020 at 07:14 PM..
Old 24th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Interesting read here. Thinking of picking NX and the head tracker to start experiment with surround mixing and exploring a MSM array. I dont have the physical space for rear speakers, so if it does work to mix surround to some extent - that is great! It is about 65 Euros on Thomann for the basic software and the head tracker.

What is the compatability status of the NX headtracker? Does it work with recent updates of Windows 10 or is there is anything you can do to make it work if you have an updated machine?
Old 26th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gl View Post
The tracking isn't just for larger head movements, but the idea is that even micro-movements give subtle spatial cues that help to move the sound source out of your head.

I personally don't think it's essential, but it definitely helps make it seem natural, and I like the immersion.
Well actually it’s more essentials then you think. If you read the white paper on these type of studies you will understand that brain gains it’s sense of space and depth from all the micro movements you do. It works very much like echolocation we see in animals like bats and dolphins.

That’s why if you turn off the actual tracking the imaging flattens into a static 2D space. In other words NX or Abbey Road Studios becomes a glorified reverb. For it to work you need the tracking, for it to work well you need the head tracker so it picks up those micro movements.
Old 26th May 2020 | Show parent
_gl
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well actually it’s more essentials then you think. If you read the white paper on these type of studies you will understand that brain gains it’s sense of space and depth from all the micro movements you do. It works very much like echolocation we see in animals like bats and dolphins.

That’s why if you turn off the actual tracking the imaging flattens into a static 2D space. In other words NX or Abbey Road Studios becomes a glorified reverb. For it to work you need the tracking, for it to work well you need the head tracker so it picks up those micro movements.
I've had the tracker a long time, and in practice I don't think it is essential. You still get the (fixed) spatial positioning, crossfeed, (neutral) reverb etc.

But as I said in my post, the micro-movements do add something significant, so the tracking is valuable (as well for the larger immersion which is great). But there is benefit even without it (for me).

Last edited by _gl; 26th May 2020 at 04:11 PM..
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wish you could dial down the room ambience on Abbey Road Studio 3 like you can on Nx.
Old 4th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... if you turn off the actual tracking the imaging flattens into a static 2D space. In other words NX or Abbey Road Studios becomes a glorified reverb.
Not entirely true. Without the tracking device, they become a "glorified reverb" plus a binaural crossfeed algorithm. I think that much of the disagreement here is based on not recognizing that binaural crossfeed and tracking are separate processes. Each contributes to the final result.
📝 Reply