Old 21st January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth

Seriously!?!?!

Looks amazing!!

Arturia MatrixBrute analog synth revealed

Attached Thumbnails
Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-arturia-matrixbrute-1.jpg  

Last edited by lukecage; 21st January 2016 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: wording corrected
Old 21st January 2016
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth

Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrix-front.jpg

music software and hardware developer Arturia is proud to introduce its innovative MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer — set to reset the benchmark by going down in history as arguably the most powerful analogue synthesizer ever created — at The NAMM Show 2016, January 21-24 in Anaheim, California, USA...

When was the last time your heart started racing at the thought of making music? How long has it been since you heard sounds that were entirely new? When did you last find an instrument that truly inspired you? Arturia actively posed such challenging questions to itself when readily rising to the challenge of designing the MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer. So here’s the answer: an astonishing programmable monophonic/duophonic analogue synthesizer set to start your heart racing and serve up entirely new sounds as a truly inspirational instrument... meet MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer! As a massive-sounding and highly-specified beast of analogue avant-garde-era synth technology, it is fit for reaching the outer limits of truly 21st Century sonic exploration, thanks to the trademark sound of its three ‘Brute’ oscillators, superb-sounding Steiner-Parker and ladder filters, three ultra-fast envelope generators, amazing analogue effects, and — the pièce de résistance — its incredible modulation matrix. Modular... without the painful patching practice of going modular, in other words!

What makes the massive-sounding MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer so state-of-the-art, then? Matrix by name, matrix by nature, that namesake modulation matrix is at the heart of MatrixBrute, making the most of each ‘module’ through a matrix that offers thousands of potential modulation routings. Assign any of 16 modulation sources to any of 16 modulation destinations (in MOD mode) and set the amounts of each modulation routing using the dedicated data encoder; four such destinations are user programmable and can clearly be seen in the eye-catching E Ink (Electronic Ink) display. Don’t be afraid to invent a sound palette of your own and make your musical mark!

That multifaceted matrix also allows presets to be recalled quite literally at the touch of a (dedicated) button (in PRESET mode). Go grab one of the 256 pioneering, pre-programmed professional presets or recall one of your own original sound creations... instantly! Indeed, MatrixBrute packs the power of a modular synth system with an all-important ability to save each patch. No need to worry about recording a sound straight away for fear of losing it forever!

Furthermore, the matrix can also be pressed into action as an awesome 64-step sequencer with separate STEP, ACCENT, SLIDE, and MODULATION options (in SEQ mode). Make musical moves directly on your analogue synthesizer. Sounds can evolve in melody and texture... exactly the way you want them to!

To help maintain a 100% analogue signal path, MatrixBrute also adds true ANALOG EFFECTS to its stereo output — choose from chorus, delay, and flanger with five operational modes... and, yes, any ANALOG EFFECTS controls can be set as modulation destinations in the matrix! When was the last time you worked with analogue effects and a great arpeggiator? Ask no more. MatrixBrute has got you well and truly covered. Multiple modes of both the Arpeggiator and Sequencer allow almost unlimited musical ideas to quickly and easily flow forth for instant inspiration!

It’s a given that any analogue synthesizer only sounds as good as its VCFs (Voltage-Controlled Filters) and VCOs (Voltage-Controlled Oscillators). The MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer sounds superb, markedly making the most of its four-mode STEINER FILTER (upgraded to support both 12dB/oct and 24dB/ oct slopes alongside a dedicated Drive control for creating thicker sounds) and three-mode LADDER FILTER (known for creating punchy bass and fat lead sounds with 12dB/oct and 24dB/oct slopes alongside another dedicated Drive control). The three VCOs are each equipped with a sub-oscillator as well as Saw, Pulse, and Triangle waveforms with the unique wave-shapers that are the trademark of the beloved ‘Brute’ sound of the MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer’s smaller siblings, the award-winning and amazingly compact and bijou MiniBrute and MicroBrute monosynths (both boasting MIDI, USB, and CV connectivity together with a host of unique features). But by pairing a 49-note (full-size) keyboard (featuring both velocity-sensitivity and aftertouch for a musical feel with plenty of expression) with a beautifully-designed, solid chassis (featuring a helpfully-hinged, hands-on capacious control panel), the road-ready MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer is both bigger and better, boasting more connections than an airport... well, almost!

As such, you can comfortably work with any setup — cue control voltage interfacing in abundance (12 CV inputs and 12 CV outputs to interface with any standard 1V/oct modular gear); AUDIO IN (line and instrument levels allow for adding an external oscillator from a favourite modular synth or processing a guitar or other instrument through the filters, VCA, and analogue effects); GATE In and Out (to trigger external gear or trigger the internal envelopes remotely); SYNC In and Out (to synchronise the internal sequencer and arpeggiator with external devices); standard MIDI In, Out, and Thru (to connect to both modern and vintage gear alike); USB I/O (to interface to a computer-based DAW directly and also use the free editor/librarian software); and PEDALS (Expression 1, Expression 2, and Sustain inputs to provide realtime control) — not forgetting, of course, MASTER OUT (stereo master outputs on 1/4-inch jacks).

As a phenomenal source of inspiration and a truly empowering instrument, MatrixBrute is easy to understand. Forget drop-down menus and dual- function controls. Forget connectivity issues. Forget imitations. This is you in control. This is you inventing sounds. This is analogue avant-garde!

The MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer will be being showcased on Arturia’s booth (#6920) in Hall A at The NAMM Show 2016, January 21-24 in Anaheim, California. Come check it out!

The MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer is expected to ship in Spring 2016 when it will be available to buy directly from Arturia online or through the company’s global network of dealers and retailers.

For more detailed information, please visit the MatrixBrute Analog Synthesizer product webpage here: Arturia - Home
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrixbrute-3.jpg   Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrixbrute-5.jpg   Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrixbrute-12.jpg   Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrixbrute-34.jpg   Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrixbrute-44.jpg  

Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrixbrute-49.jpg   Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrix-back.jpg   Arturia ushers in analogue avant-garde era with MatrixBrute Analog Synth-matrix-front.jpg  
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
WOW, didn't see this coming
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Holy S&*T !!!!!!!! I want one !!!!!!!!!!!

Price?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
price
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Brace yourself! The only 4 octave keyboard haters are coming.... Curious for samples....
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKII ➡️
Brace yourself! The only 4 octave keyboard haters are coming.... Curious for samples....
I'm one of them, but only for Poly synths! 4 octaves are fine for mono. Still don't understand why DSI didn't put a 5 octave on the Prophet 6. Such a dumb decision if you ask me.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Holy shi-yeet.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Whoever merged my original thread with this one - Thank you!
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
One word... WOW.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There was $1800 quote somewhere. As said: It need 5 year warranty. Arturia hardware is notoriously bad quality. This having even more components to go wrong. Let's see how it goes when it's shipping, but would no be pre-ordering this and be a beta tester.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow...wasn't planning on buying a monosynth this year... Already looking at gear to sell to get this one. That 16x16 sequencer matrix looks Sexy... And are all those cv outputs?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito ➡️
There was $1800 quote somewhere. As said: It need 5 year warranty. Arturia hardware is notoriously bad quality. This having even more components to go wrong. Let's see how it goes when it's shipping, but would no be pre-ordering this and be a beta tester.
$1800 would be a good price and I hear you on the bad build quality. I've had to return two Arturia products over the past 5 years. Not cool.
But if this is built as good as it looks, then count me in !!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It might not be perfect (Arturia build quality...) but it sure is innovative. Can't wait to hear it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage ➡️
$1800 would be a good price and I hear you on the bad build quality. I've had to return two Arturia products over the past 5 years. Not cool.
I have returned two Arturia KeyLab 61's that they advertise being "Built like a tank!". They weight like a tank, but have durability of cardboard box.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The matrix sure is innovative. And the (modulatable) analog effects could be cool too, although being analog doesn't have to mean they're good.

I just hope this isn't simply a bigger Mini/Microbrute. I have a Mini here and have been trying to coax some softer tones out of it for a month now, but it seems to me its softer tones have no character and all the other sounds are just raw and... brute. (And I know all the gainstaging tricks, and not putting Brute factor/resonance way up, etc.) But this could also be my taste. What doesn't come down to taste though, is that I think the knobs and sliders on the Mini are scaled very unmusically. For instance, for me the envelope sliders only are really usable in the bottom 25% of the range. When I compare this to my Sub37, I can feel the difference between a company doing their first hardware synth and a company that has been doing that for more than 40 years. (Of course the Sub 37 is more expensive, but I don't think that's because of the scaling of the knobs.)

Based on their plugins, I'd say that Arturia believe that more functions are better. I don't think this is true. Consider a Juno60 for instance. Really basic, but because of the great basic tone of the synth, a lot of people like it. So let's hope the tone (and knob scaling) of this thing is a step up from the Mini/Micro. That combined with the innovative matrix/sequencer could make this a big hit. I will try it for sure.

Last edited by mossie23; 21st January 2016 at 05:02 PM..
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
332 active users on this thread now -, it seems arturia is shaking the market... Want to hear it ASAP !
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Based on their plugins, I'd say that Arturia believe that more functions are always better. I don't think this is true. Consider a Juno60 for instance. Really basic, but because of the great basic tone of the synth, a lot of people like it. So let's hope the tone (and knob scaling) of this thing is a step up from the Mini/Micro. That combined with the innovative matrix/sequencer could make this a big hit. I will try it for sure.
So right, too much features is usually a sign basic tone is not good enough, I'm playing right now in front of a TVS Oberheim (new generation). CEM are sounding gorgeous with so few options (even without using the patch panel)...

Simple tools allow to focus on sound and too much choices kill the choices... namm demo soon hopefully !

Last edited by isham; 21st January 2016 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Typo
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isham ➡️
So right, too much features is usually a sign basic tone is not good enough, I'm playing right now in front of a TVS Oberheim (new generation). CEM are sounding gorgeous with so few options (even without using the patch panel)...

Simple tools allow to focus on sound and too much choices kill the choices... namm demo soon hopefully !
Completely agree!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder if you can hook two up and play battleship?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham ➡️

Not necessarily. It is also a function of market forces. Some programmers want a ****load of functions and features and they (the functions and features), in another way, are part of the "tone" albeit a different kind of tone if you will.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➡️
Not necessarily. It is also a function of market forces. Some programmers want a ****load of functions and features and they (the functions and features), in another way, are part of the "tone" albeit a different kind of tone if you will.
If the Minibrute oscillators are anything to go by, then I for one, am not holding my breath for hearing the pitch of one Brute oscillator modulated by a second Brute oscillator through the matrix.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie23 ➡️
I for one, am not holding my breath for hearing the pitch of one Brute oscillator modulated by a second Brute oscillator through the matrix.
No such luck as oscillators can't be used as mod sources:

If you look at the MOD source and destinations is rather limited matrix. Good luck trying to do FM modulation with it.(Unless CV ins can be targeted to filter and osc's)
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow! Need some sound on this puppy...that's a hella fully functional mono.

Hah! Ask and ye shall receive. Truthfully, the sound didn't do a lot for me. Sounded a bit thin to me.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No such luck as oscillators can't be used as mod sources
says who ?
They can modulate each other and modulate the filter too.

Kinda looks like the Schmidt in mono...
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Looks really promising , still no word on GUi upadte for their minuscule plugins ?
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Prettiest synth I ever saw! Too bad it will most definately be out of my price range. What a beauty...
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its nice but i'll stick with micro or mini.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
No such luck as oscillators can't be used as mod sources:
ok at the MOD source and destinations is rather limited matrix. Good luck trying to do FM modulation with it.(Unless CV ins can be targeted to filter and osc's)
Aren't there 4 decidated "Audio Mod" knobs above the "Wheels" section on the lower left?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz ➡️
its nice but i'll stick with micro or mini.
I wont
📝 Reply