NAMM 2016: Warm Audio WA-2A - 2A style, all tube optical compressor - Page 20 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2016: Warm Audio WA-2A - 2A style, all tube optical compressor
Old 8th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I admit I bought Wa2a out of curiosity and based on hype and I really don't like the unit. There is no comparison to LA2A or even UA Reissue LA2A and they play in a totally different league. I also greatly prefer plugins to it and it has remained unused in my rack for the last 5 months.

Wa2a has very low headroom and does more damage to the signal even with conservative levels and gain reduction. Beautiful highs go away even with jus 2dB of. compression, everything starts to sound midrangey and small in a pretty negative way once sent through it. It is nothing wrong woth my unit, I have tried lots of Wa2a's and this is simply their character. While the built quality is pretty good and the units are sturdy (apart from cheapish WA76), sound is greatly compromised IMHO. If you want a good compressor rarher look elsewhere. If you want a LA2A sound, get Universal Audio. Same applies for WA76 IMHO. These are more of a distortion boxes than a studio compressors. Still if I needed to choose between them I would rather choose WA76.

If they wouldn't sell as "La2a" clones, they wouldn't be w
Interesting...see, this is why we need an Audio Consumer Reports type of organization! Because you may be right but maybe not?
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

We just need some really good A/B comparisons that's it.
Old 24th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is no comparison to LA2A or even UA Reissue LA2A and they play in a totally different league. I also greatly prefer plugins to it and it has remained unused in my rack for the last 5 months.
Interesting. I can't get near with plugins. Both wa76 and wa2a sounds noticable better to my ears compared to any compressor plugin I've tried. I'm curious what compressor plugins you are using wich you mean sound better?
Old 25th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Interesting. I can't get near with plugins. Both wa76 and wa2a sounds noticable better to my ears compared to any compressor plugin I've tried. I'm curious what compressor plugins you are using wich you mean sound better?
Likewise. It's not a close comparison here between the WA-2A and WA-76 and any of the plugins I've got (UAD, Slate, Softube, Waves, etc).

Same with any good hardware. Deeper, more weight, more space around the source.
Old 25th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I definitely agree regarding WA76, which is great for the price, but WA2A simply lacks headroom and sounds very midrangey. UA LA2A Reissue has really open highs and sounds smooth. WA2A does thicken the sound in a way, but there is a thin line where it starts to distort and roll off your high end which is after that impossible to get back.

I prefer new UAD LA2A although it lacks some grab of HW counterpart, but at least sound more transparent IMHO.
Old 28th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I definitely agree regarding WA76, which is great for the price, but WA2A simply lacks headroom and sounds very midrangey. UA LA2A Reissue has really open highs and sounds smooth. WA2A does thicken the sound in a way, but there is a thin line where it starts to distort and roll off your high end which is after that impossible to get back.

I prefer new UAD LA2A although it lacks some grab of HW counterpart, but at least sound more transparent IMHO.
Before giving it a bad wrap .. I did have a bad tube in my from the factory which is VERY common. It worked but eventually died after a very short life..
📝 Reply