The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Voxengo PrimeEQ
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Guru

Voxengo PrimeEQ

"PrimeEQ is a parametric equalizer plug-in for professional music production applications. PrimeEQ was designed to be the first equalizer to reach for when track or mix equalization is necessary: just insert the plug-in, put and drag the control points to the desired positions.

PrimeEQ implements an extremely optimized user interface. It features an innovative “differential” filter display which shows you how exactly a given selected filter contributes to the overall EQ shape. All control points are placed on the overall EQ shape making the workflow with this equalizer fast and efficient. PrimeEQ is similar to CurveEQ in this respect except that PrimeEQ uses independent parametric filters instead of a continuous EQ curve.

PrimeEQ features deeply customizable spectrum analyzer of the same high quality as found in SPAN, GlissEQ, and other Voxengo plug-ins.

* Extremely optimized workflow
* New “differential” filter display
* Real-time spectrum analysis
* Up to 32 parametric filter bands
* 13 filter types
* Narrow-band sweeping
* User interface window resizing
* Stereo and multi-channel processing
* 64-bit floating point processing
* Preset manager
* Undo/redo history
* All sample rates support
* Zero processing latency"

Easy-to-use parametric equalizer plugin (AU, VST) - Voxengo PrimeEQ - Voxengo

Old 9th January 2016
Damn it Voxengo, why u no AAX?
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear
I still don't understand what difference it makes
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Guru

I recommend taking PrimeEQ for a spin. It is the smoothes parametric EQ I've ever come across.

One caveat: The developer Aleksey Vaneev tells me that "Automation parameters will be added in a future update."
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Head

price reduction to $49.
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

Indeed, sounds very smooth
What about an output level knob..?
( A tilt filter would be cool also... as a 18 Dbs HPF..)
An option to reverse the handeling of the Q size on the trackpad..
Auto selected "tool" by frequency range..
As usual, free pizza delivery would be welcome
Old 11th January 2016
No special features, no M/S... far behind other similar EQs like Acon, Pro-Q, DMGAudio...
I don't see the point why Alexey developed such an mediocre EQ... he can do this a lot better and he has also better EQs like GlissEQ.
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

Maybe he just wanted a basic eq in his range, there's nothing wrong with that is there? Feature rich maybe not, but in terms of sound it's not mediocre at all. Alexey knows what he's doing with eq.
Old 11th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Maybe he just wanted a basic eq in his range, there's nothing wrong with that is there? Feature rich maybe not, but in terms of sound it's not mediocre at all. Alexey knows what he's doing with eq.
A basic EQ for $80 (this was the first price) where most other EQs are a lot better, having more features etc? IMO the only selling point is now the reduced price. For $49 you have a good basic entry level EQ.
I don't think there is a special sound, I'm sure you can "0" PrimeEQ with most other EQs, also with the DAWs EQ, in a phase cancellation test.
The good thing is only the analyzer (it's Afaik the Span spectrum analyzer he used).

Sorry but I don't see some innovations with this EQ and I don't understand why Alexey has released such a mediocre EQ. Makes no sense for me, because you cannot expect a lot of sales not to mention that most users already have better EQs.
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

The gain control on filters can be useful for setting up Linkwitz-Riley crossovers (i.e. -6dB at the cutoff on a 24dB hi/lo-pass) for multiband work - that's not necessarily a characteristic you get in other EQs without cascading 12dB filters.
Old 11th January 2016
Gear Guru

4damind, you are entitled to your opinion - I don't share it - but you are not entitled to insult developers. A little courtesy goes a long way.

PrimeEQ has replaced all of my parametric EQs. To my ears, it sounds better and is easier to manipulate than any of the usual suspects, which I either own or have demoed.

I find the reduction to only the functions I actually need very refreshing. I don't need volume controls in an EQ, for example.

You need to play around with this EQ to appreciate how incredibly easy it is to zoom in on individual frequencies. No zipper noise, no artefacts. At the price, this EQ is a steal.

IMO.
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
4damind, you are entitled to your opinion - I don't share it - but you are not entitled to insult developers. A little courtesy goes a long way.

PrimeEQ has replaced all of my parametric EQs. To my ears, it sounds better and is easier to manipulate than any of the usual suspects, which I either own or have demoed.

I find the reduction to only the functions I actually need very refreshing. I don't need volume controls in an EQ, for example.

You need to play around with this EQ to appreciate how incredibly easy it is to zoom in on individual frequencies. No zipper noise, no artefacts. At the price, this EQ is a steal.

IMO.
Could you elaborate on the "sounding better" part, please? Thanks
Old 11th January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Could you elaborate on the "sounding better" part, please? Thanks
Well, you can always tell by the way an EQ responds to extreme EQ changes, in particular extreme high-frquency boosts. Mosts EQs sound brittle and harsh and you want to dial it right back because it sounds so awful. Or, you do extreme cuts with a high-pass or low-pass filter, and the character of the audio changes beyond the sound you were looking for.

Basically, most digital EQs mess up the source in some way. Previously, I much liked Voxengo's HarmoniEQ because it exhibits less of those vices than other EQs I've tried.

I must admit I haven't used PrimeEQ much yet - it's been out only for a couple of days - but from the little I've heard it has been something of a revelation. To draw an analogy, it feels as if audio is becoming like putty and you can effortlessly mould it any way you want.

To my ears, in my opinion.
Old 11th January 2016
Mho
Lives for gear

Please, move Span to AAX!
Old 12th January 2016
I've actually been waiting for a gliss style eq from voxengo that was just a regular eq so I'm stoked. I'm glad it doesn't have the extra features of some other eq's. I just want to grab it and go.
Old 12th January 2016
OMU
Lives for gear

M/S is pretty basic nowadays...
Old 12th January 2016
Basic but still not standard and in no way a deal breaker. Not saying the extra features aren't convenient at times, there is also something to be said about something that just does what you generally need it for really well without any clutter
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear

I don't need that fancy auto gain feature, but damn, just a little output control is IMHO the minimum..
And if it sounds that good, and i think it's the case, i'd like to be able to process M/S, or maybe Voxengo is cooking the big brotha of primeEQ
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
I don't need that fancy auto gain feature, but damn, just a little output control is IMHO the minimum..
And if it sounds that good, and i think it's the case, i'd like to be able to process M/S, or maybe Voxengo is cooking the big brotha of primeEQ
Why don't you suggest it to him? He usually responds to queries within hours.
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why don't you suggest it to him? He usually responds to queries within hours.
Why not indeed, don't want to be the only balls/breaker though
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

IMO.
And three years later I bought it, and (after some initial testing) I agree. A recording done twenty years ago with a female singer through lousy equipment I couldn't make it sound ok. But with Prime EQ, I did it!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just discover the EQ today. Test it and bought.

For me, it sounds better than Fab Pro Q, even if it has less features.

BUT WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE AN OUTPUT CONTROL ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted brenn View Post
Just discover the EQ today. Test it and bought.

For me, it sounds better than Fab Pro Q, even if it has less features.

BUT WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE AN OUTPUT CONTROL ?
It does!

The developer added output volume control in one of the free updates. Take a look at the top bar, to the centre-right.

What's New – Voxengo PrimeEQ
Version 1.2, Aug 7, 2019:
Fixed group movement of control points.
Added Retina support on macOS, and automatic high-resolution UI size adjustment on Windows.
Up to 40% lower CPU usage on AVX2-capable processors.

Version 1.1, Jan 30, 2017:
Added ProTools 12+ AAX-64 support.
Added automation parameters for up to 5 bands.
Added bypass switch.
Added master output gain control.

Version 1.0, Jan 3, 2016:
Initial version 1 release.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The developer added output volume control in one of the free updates. Take a look at the top bar, to the centre-right.
Indeed, you're right, then, it's a great tool with a warm sound

I recommande
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search