The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So hey, rumor is that Digi's 003 will appear at Namm 2008
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
it good for editing and opening PT files though. that's the only reason i have it in my studio....
my sessions are probably all to simple.. I'm not a fan of using 100's of tracks etc.. so to me , it does what it does pretty well, fast and stable. (knock on wood) .. yesterday, after I posted I opened up a session and it wouldn't play! Holy smokes, scared me for half hour till I decided to disconnect and connect the firewire cable. heh
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
personally, I constantly run out of busses on LE. Thats a pain in the ass...
You run out of 32 busses all the time? Are you trying to buss every track twice over or something?

I personally love using both HD and LE, and to me, all other software DAWs out there are amateurish (especially Steinbug). Logic's nice for certain things.
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmshroom View Post
You run out of 32 busses all the time? Are you trying to buss every track twice over or something?

I personally love using both HD and LE, and to me, all other software DAWs out there are amateurish (especially Steinbug). Logic's nice for certain things.
if you want 2 split a kick in low,mid,high 3 busses. bass low,mid,high 6 busses
lead vocal low mid high 9 busses ,instrument low, mid,high, 12 busses

and reverbs,delays,maxxbass,flanger,chorus,stereo spread, etc,etc,

sub mixes of vox harmony's (8 harmony tracks) 8 busses
drum bus,percusion buss, pad &string buss,guitar buss.

and the list go's on and on .

then 32 busses are nothing

amateurish !!!! i use pro tools all the time but the midi side of pro tools is amateurish .
Logic is the protool for midi.
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hi!
Even though I am an HD user, I am really interested to see what the 003 offers.

IMO, Digi should have listened to me (they never do though...bastards...and they know I am always right... )

I really like the Digi 192 I/O. Go ahead, flame, trash, thrash..whatever. For the money, it is an excellent interface. For the money, it could have been even better...if they had added a few things. First, allow it to operate in stand-alone, and have a slot for alternate interfacing. IOW, stock it has the ability to operate stand-alone, or connected to a Digi HD card. But, they could have made that connection removable, and allowed the user to sub in a firewire connection. Bingo! You now have a good quality I/O that could be used with PT LE. Sure, go ahead and limit the LE software re: I/O numbers. But, this simply allows for the user to upgrade to a mid-level software (in fact, it actually provides incentive to go HD)..maybe an SE or something...that adds more I/O capability along with more tracks, etc. Oh- what's that? You want to upgrade to HD? Gee, how simple is that now, compared to what the typical LE user would have to go through?

Currently, as an LE user, you probaby grabbed a 002 or 002R, and then grabbed the Music Production Toolkit. Then some of this software, some of that. You realize you want the HD software features (which includes higher track counts and the ability ot use alot more I/O), but that means selling all that LE/002 stuff...or "trading it in" to Digi at a pretty good loss. Buggerfuq on that.

But, if they would have done that, they prolly would have buggered it up by doing this with ONLY the 96 I/O instead...<sigh>...
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

just one question. what's the point in limiting tracks and busses in a native daw? especially with the new processors...

with Le you're limited by default... plus no ADC... native OMF support, native vst support ( in some situations adapters just don't cut it...) ... etc...

not to count the digi things like dedicated hardware (which are basically an obsolete dongle, especially since there are many better interfaces and converters on the market that support basically every other program) no score view, realtime bounces only... etc... i could go on and on...

and the midi is a real joke. the kind of programming i do in sonar (or any other major daw just could not be done in PT (in any version that is) i could use 32 busses just for vst/rewire synths.... i 've had stuff far over 100 tracks (my top so far was something like 260 tracks ,even though all tracks did not sound at the same time... i just used it instead of automation since there were many cues and the duration of the movie was about 2hrs... huge file)

and most of my recordings here feature not only a full drumset (8-16 tracks) plus many channels of percussion, synths, guits, vocals, bk vocals, and god knows what else, so it's easy to explain why i simply could not do with IMO stupid digi policy limitations. and even a 64 track limit could be a bummer sometimes...( fact: there is no reason for the limit to exist except company policy,most any other daw can take the same digi 001/002 and record limitless tracks and other stuff on it..

of course, the mileage and the road can vary...

but my PT Le is still only good for editing and opening PT files...
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

Rumor has it that it will be bundled with these great plugs...heh

http://sonicfinger.com/VSV.html
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
i could use 32 busses just for vst/rewire synths....
Instruments and Rewire in PT don't use Busses. Instruments go right on the top of an instrument track, which does not eat up track count...

...and Rewire is limited only by Propellerheads' built-in limitation of the Rewire protocol, not by any other company.
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Why wouldn't you bus these to one bus, and use and multiple aux inputs set to the same input?

Example: Kick sent to bus 1. Aux Input 1,2,3 all set to input from bus 1, and then each aux track filtered accordingly?

Same thing with the vox harmony sub mix. Set the output of each harmony part to a single bus (or stereo, whatever), then the input of the Aux input sub to that bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravian View Post

amateurish !!!! i use pro tools all the time but the midi side of pro tools is amateurish .
Logic is the protool for midi.
Old 26th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Hi!
Even though I am an HD user, I am really interested to see what the 003 offers.

IMO, Digi should have listened to me (they never do though...bastards...and they know I am always right... )

I really like the Digi 192 I/O. Go ahead, flame, trash, thrash..whatever. For the money, it is an excellent interface. For the money, it could have been even better...if they had added a few things. First, allow it to operate in stand-alone, and have a slot for alternate interfacing. IOW, stock it has the ability to operate stand-alone, or connected to a Digi HD card. But, they could have made that connection removable, and allowed the user to sub in a firewire connection. Bingo! You now have a good quality I/O that could be used with PT LE. Sure, go ahead and limit the LE software re: I/O numbers. But, this simply allows for the user to upgrade to a mid-level software (in fact, it actually provides incentive to go HD)..maybe an SE or something...that adds more I/O capability along with more tracks, etc. Oh- what's that? You want to upgrade to HD? Gee, how simple is that now, compared to what the typical LE user would have to go through?

Currently, as an LE user, you probaby grabbed a 002 or 002R, and then grabbed the Music Production Toolkit. Then some of this software, some of that. You realize you want the HD software features (which includes higher track counts and the ability ot use alot more I/O), but that means selling all that LE/002 stuff...or "trading it in" to Digi at a pretty good loss. Buggerfuq on that.

But, if they would have done that, they prolly would have buggered it up by doing this with ONLY the 96 I/O instead...<sigh>...
Instead of having the 192 (or other HD interfaces) retooled to accomodate Firewire (that also has its limitations), I would have made a really simple Core card instead that could use the current HD interfaces, but doesn't include as much DSPs as the current core cards.

Just enough to handle 32 I/Os and the mixers (stereo and surround), no TDM plug-ins support. This with the current version of Pro Tools HD (except for the plug-ins that would be RTAS, like LE).

This way LE users could go HD but would be able to keep and use their RTAS investments, have access at a "unlimited" version of Pro Tools (need more I/Os, add another interface, need more voices, add another card) and with the power inside modern computers, external DSP processing is less a problem. This card would be similar to the old d24 card of the first Mix systems.

Nicely priced so a basic system would cost around $5000 and hardware exchanges from LE systems at around $4000 would be interesting. Most advanced LE users don't use Digi's Pres/Converters on LE hardware anyway, so their outboard investments would be put to good use.

This way may also get Digidesign to capitalize on their HD developments and maybe add a couple of new interfaces to their line-up (like a cheap dual adat smux interface and a 16ch output interface for those who like to mix out-of-the-box).
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebri View Post
Why wouldn't you bus these to one bus, and use and multiple aux inputs set to the same input?

Example: Kick sent to bus 1. Aux Input 1,2,3 all set to input from bus 1, and then each aux track filtered accordingly?

Same thing with the vox harmony sub mix. Set the output of each harmony part to a single bus (or stereo, whatever), then the input of the Aux input sub to that bus.
Makes more sense, definitely. Probably saves CPU power too.
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravian View Post

If you need this to mix, you need a console man! Even just an analog router....
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEar View Post
If you need this to mix, you need a console man! Even just an analog router....
i always mixed on a console.

thats why i put it up like that.

but what thebri said sounds nice, im'a look in 2 that.
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have no idea what we are in store for with an 003.

One feature that can be guaranteed to be there will be word clock, because the Mbox 2 Pro has it (and that is the feature I am most looking forward to - since the current clocking options are pretty weak).

Other than that, I have no idea. There is such a wide range of things it could be.

I sure am looking forward to seeing what the feature set is, though.
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
I have no idea what we are in store for with an 003.

One feature that can be guaranteed to be there will be word clock, because the Mbox 2 Pro has it (and that is the feature I am most looking forward to - since the current clocking options are pretty weak).

Other than that, I have no idea. There is such a wide range of things it could be.

I sure am looking forward to seeing what the feature set is, though.
Like I said in another thread.... I bet that will be the ONLY difference.
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Im not expecting anything dramatic with the 003. I wouldnt be suprised if it has 16 I/O adat, 8 analog I/O probably with 8 mic pre's, spdif, wordclock, one or two headphone amps & midi interface. This would place it in competition with offerings by Focusrite, Presonus etc
Old 27th February 2007
Here for the gear

There are a couple of rumblings on the DUC about a March 1st release......
Old 27th February 2007
Hey look, here's a counter counting down until the 003 launch.

http://www.cherubini.com/
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvc1977 View Post
Im not expecting anything dramatic with the 003. I wouldnt be suprised if it has 16 I/O adat, 8 analog I/O probably with 8 mic pre's, spdif, wordclock, one or two headphone amps & midi interface. This would place it in competition with offerings by Focusrite, Presonus etc
I agree. That isn't a gigantic facelift from 002 but they better throw in all the software. Musician Production Toolkit, Strike, Velvet, etc, etc for me to even look at it. The mic-pres need a major facelift as well. That would justify an upgrade that will probably be around 2-3K.
Old 27th February 2007
Here for the gear

I can pretty much confirm from a very reliable source that vanamp and glitch are correct on the March 1st release. Let's just say my source works very close to the action and has actually seen a production model in the flesh. Thursday it is, apparently! First shippings will be within the next couple of weeks.

I am interested in the non-rack version myself. The BAD news is that they have dropped the standalone mixing mode. So you can't use the desk as a digital mixer with effects etc. without connecting it up to a computer running ProTools. That's a real bummer for me, as part of the justification for me upgrading from 001 was to have the versatility of a device that could also be a standalone digital mixer. I need to upgrade though as the Mac OS 9 or 10.3 options with 001 are no longer an option for me.

It's going to have firewire connectivity, 4 mic-pre's and word clock. Overall, it's going to be fairly similar to the 002.
Old 27th February 2007
Thursday release. In the shops by mid April.

Two products 003 & 003R.

Both feature the same I/O:-

8 Analog
8 ADAT (with S/MUX)
2 S/PDIF
2 AES/EBU

20 i/o maximum.

In addition there is wordclock i/o, two headphone amps, talkback mic, expanded monitor controls (DIM etc) & dedicated record arm buttons on the 003. MIDI i/o and the alt inputs on rca phonos stay. There will be no more stand-alone mixer mode. Both products are extensively restyled & here is the best bit, the 003R is 1U.
Old 27th February 2007
Here for the gear

Digidesign appear to have set up a short redirect on their website. www.digidesign.com/003 redirects to a page with the current 002 rack header flash. Then again, there might be some clever URL analysis being done which finds the closest match.
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewyear View Post

Two products 003 & 003R.

8 Analog
8 ADAT (with S/MUX)
2 S/PDIF
2 AES/EBU

20 i/o maximum.

In addition there is wordclock i/o, two headphone amps, talkback mic, expanded monitor controls (DIM etc) & dedicated record arm buttons on the 003. MIDI i/o and the alt inputs on rca phonos stay. There will be no more stand-alone mixer mode. Both products are extensively restyled & here is the best bit, the 003R is 1U.

ok these are the hardware news, anything new on the software side especially LE?
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Two products 003 & 003R.

8 Analog
8 ADAT (with S/MUX)
2 S/PDIF
2 AES/EBU

20 i/o maximum.
not impressed in the least if this is true. but thanks for the info, anyway.
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

thenewyear, is your info actual news or just speculation?
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
20 i/o maximum.

Too bad for me, 20 inputs is just below my standard for tracking.
Yes, I usually don't use more than 20 at a time, but as I move more and more into the realm of tracking whole bands at once, 20 would be just a bit limiting for me.
let's see:

12 drum tracks
2 bass tracks
2 guitar A tracks
2 guitar B tracks
2 vocal tracks
==========
20 tracks

but then if I decide to throw in an ambient pair somewhere... gotta cut corners.
this limits my productivity. if it works for others then that's great, but I hate having to make the choice in a tracking situation on whether to add those ambients OR be able to use two tracks per guitar....

if the 20IO max is true, it really is too bad they get away with making these incremental upgrades to their product line.

off to buy more PT mix stuff I go
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Addict

No 80b eq's on that thing?

And would someone tell that blinking royer banner that my ears
are hybrid anatal-digilog electro-mechanical devices.

There's a green booger man doing jump ropes in the smiley column.

I'm gonna go track on a tricked out korg stage echo, word.

clock

Rob
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Too bad for me, 20 inputs is just below my standard for tracking.
Yes, I usually don't use more than 20 at a time, but as I move more and more into the realm of tracking whole bands at once, 20 would be just a bit limiting for me.
let's see:

12 drum tracks
Go buy the Earthworks drum mic kit and you'll find yourself using less drum mics but having a much better sound.
Old 27th February 2007
Deleted User
If I were running DIGI I would have three tiers of product:

1. Le as it is right now
2. HD would become the middle ground
3. New HD, whatever you want to call it would be high end

That would cover everyones needs. Same software for all with ADC, unlimited tracks and busses. Main diff would be the I/O choices and TDM capacity.

Im sure Im WRONG somewhere but its a good thought
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
... & here is the best bit, the 003R is 1U.
That's the best bit??
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

I sure hope the 20 i/o is wrong and is at least 24 i/o as well. Or it'll be a bust for me as well :(

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search