The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So hey, rumor is that Digi's 003 will appear at Namm 2008
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebri View Post
Wow you guys are really extrapolating my statements quite a bit. Digi never said 10K is high end, it's just a magic marketing number that they discovered
Wow, OK fine. Maybe I shouldn't use the term high-end because it causes consternation. Most of the PTHD users on Gearslutz are in a section called (a-hem) "high-end". Just having fun with you guys

Hey btw, what were those 2K-10K products that failed? Mr. Green suggests that the products failed because they sucked, so I'm interested in the history there...
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Addict

003 SS

Screenshot from digi site. I don't think this has been posted yet.

j
Attached Thumbnails
So hey, rumor is that  Digi's 003 will appear at Namm 2008-003.png  
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3 View Post
Screenshot from digi site. I don't think this has been posted yet.

j

so what do you think, when they will anounce it?
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Maniac

With the tenor of the discussion at hand, I'm sure the reaction will be that the products in question sucked, as certain vocal people here feel all Digi products suck.

There was some Session 8 product I believe, but I can't remember the other ones mentioned.

There ya go, pull out the pissing monkey next to Session 8

BTW, on the 2K marketing limit thing, I remember a friend at Fender mentioning that Street price on all guitars 2K and under sell well. Some Guits get a ton of attention over that mark, but are more for show that sell only a couple a year such as the Dick Dale model.
Old 25th February 2007
Here for the gear

Progress? Digi?

Digi pushing for progress? That would be a new one to me. Every time I hear about the "new features" in version updates to LE, I think "yep, Cubase has been doing that for years, I can't think of another DAW that DOESN'T do that, etc." Come on, guys. You know that the 003 is going to be a recycled 002 which was a recycled 001. There will be "new and improved" (but still unuseable) preamps. It will have 8 analog, 8 digital io with a couple of preamps (possibly 8, but I highly doubt it). I'll bet my LIFE it wont have more than 18 io. Basically, they aren't going to put anything on the new interface that makes PTLE not lame because they don't want people to start rationalizing buying an LE rig over an expensive HD rig. This will be the case until the rest of the industry comes to its senses and realizes that even PTHD isn't all that great and stops buying it. At that point, they will discontinue the TDM platform and pull out all of the stops on the native side of things. They will come out with a native system that has unlimited track count and unlimited io count. It will be undeniably inferior to systems costing half as much. But for some reason, people will still eat it up.

If you want a real native system now, don't hold your breath on the 003. Get a Fireface800 with Cubase4. That will give you unlimited track count, unlimited expansion as far as io, much better sound in the converters and pres (not subtle), and zero latency monitoring.
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I thought this was an interesting quoet from one of the amalysts:

"We believe Avid's problems originate in competitive pressure the company is facing in its core professional video business, where Avid is viewed as over-charging for and over-promising technology," it added."

I guess it's company policy for Avids companies to overcharge.
Yes, well spotted - this is a very 'telling' comment from the analyst and reveals the fundamental ideal and problem that lies behing Digis business model - imho.

If they do not get with the picture (forgive the pun) then they will suffer more and more, that is a good thing because I have a problem with companies that charge too much for too little...
Old 25th February 2007
sbs
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
and the new protools will have offline bouncing, vst support, the best midi ever, and will support any hardware...heh
will it work on my sound blaster card? I really hope so, I love the sound of the sb converters, they make my casio phat, dude...
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Hahahahaha.. Who gives a crap what Digidesign releases next anyway!! hahaha
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbassist View Post
Hahahahaha.. Who gives a crap what Digidesign releases next anyway!! hahaha
All the thousands of happy le users perhaps?
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

umm sorry for the amateurishness of the question, but what are you guys expecting 003 to have that 002 or HD don't have ?
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

-Stable, High Quality, Non-Proprietary, Wordclock that handles all sample rates (up to 96 at least)

-I couldn't care less about ADC

-Slightly improved conversion. Maybe even to that comparable to BLA Modded 002

-Better more high end pre's.

-Retain the monitoring section / racmountability

-High Quality Headphone Amp??!?! That'd be cool.

-Perhaps expanded I/O to meet growing demands of industry. (18 is fine, but more is handy)

-Not Blue Colour Scheme... would ruin my rack's because it would stick out like a sore thumb
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
All the thousands of happy le users perhaps?
the thousands of happy le users? is that a joke? that's one very limited program...

get a real daw... don't talk to me about PTle. it really sucks. and yes, i do have it and ocasionally use it. it's a joke. a bad one.
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Im waitin til the 004 comes out to upgrade....in 2379 AD
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
-Stable, High Quality, Non-Proprietary, Wordclock that handles all sample rates (up to 96 at least)

-I couldn't care less about ADC

-Slightly improved conversion. Maybe even to that comparable to BLA Modded 002

-Better more high end pre's.

-Retain the monitoring section / racmountability

-High Quality Headphone Amp??!?! That'd be cool.

-Perhaps expanded I/O to meet growing demands of industry. (18 is fine, but more is handy)

-Not Blue Colour Scheme... would ruin my rack's because it would stick out like a sore thumb
Sounds like you could need a Fireface 800!
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbassist View Post
Sounds like you could need a Fireface 800!
lol - ALREADY want one bro!!

On top of that, not only is it a solid peice of excellence on its own, it can actually work perfectly in a Digi002(R) Rig. Just use it as a standalone 10 channel Analog to Adat / S/Pdif converter, and clock the Digi002 off the RME.

Great for easy low latency monitoring.
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Head

Hmmm, when 002 came out did Digi offer a hardware trade from the 001 to 002 and if they did what was the cost of that?
Old 25th February 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

This whole thread is about a product that hasn't hit the market yet?
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
the thousands of happy le users? is that a joke? that's one very limited program...
I never used any other program, but I can do everything I need to do on LE

I do mostly rock.. etc.. and it works fine. Actually I find it exceeds my needs.. and can't think why anyone would need more ??? Unless you work at a studio that records full orchestra's and such, if you don't I think LE is enough and so easy to work with.
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post

I do mostly rock.. etc.. and it works fine. Actually I find it exceeds my needs.. and can't think why anyone would need more ??? Unless you work at a studio that records full orchestra's and such, if you don't I think LE is enough and so easy to work with.
personally, I constantly run out of busses on LE. Thats a pain in the ass...
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Not that I care or anything but to let all you protools lovers out there know, I just got word that Digidesign Told many companies not to say or even talk anything about the 003... So something is definitely up with DIGI... They might not even release it anytime soon which sucks for all you LE users if you wanted one but thats just an update... take care!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=jindrich;1146771]let's hope they focus in quality instead of quantity

Who's insterested in a box with say twice the amount of 002ish pres and converters? That might be fine in the $1000 market, but not in a higher (twice?) price range, where users start to look for QUALITY. ( I might be wrong though)

Look at what apogee is offering with the "ensemble": 4 high-class pres and 8 converters that go head to head with those from digi's 192 interface. All for $2k. Add another $1k for Logic, and for $3k you have a turkney solution that runs miles ahead of any LE system, both in terms of software possibilities and hardware quality.

the 003 should be either a 002 replacement (some better specs, same price) or a bridge between HD and LE. Something like a clone of apogee's "ensemble" as audio interface with an unlimited native version of the HD software, including proper ADC, all for less than $4K.[/QUOT

Thats What I'm talkin about, Well Said
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomppa View Post
Hmmm, when 002 came out did Digi offer a hardware trade from the 001 to 002 and if they did what was the cost of that?
Digi still has an upgrade path from the 001 to the 002.
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/news/d...th07_25984.pdf
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

Just get the BLA Mod and be happy.
Awesome mod, Big Difference.
I would wait awhile to buy anything new anyways.
I have no problem working with 002r and I record 98% live instrument.
But thats me so just chill and enjoy what you have and lets make money and music.
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post
maybe i did grossly exagerate it in my post... but i think there are lot's of better options than ptle...in other words IMO most any major daw today is better than PT le.

i have used most of the daws on the market. PT HD is a great program, even though the little digi idiosyncracies really get to me... but le is a whole different thing.

pt le is a very limited daw. and limited by default.and the lack of all kinds of important features (which are too many to list in this post)really is a big bummer. if you do work with other programs you'll surely understand what i mean.

it good for editing and opening PT files though. that's the only reason i have it in my studio....
Old 26th February 2007
digi changed the website so rather than "003 factory", "003 rack", it now just says "00 factory", "00 rack".

http://www.digidesign.com/sitemap_cr...cfm?langid=100

i've been thinking a lot about when/if digi will do something new. and i've also been thinking hard about other competition. the apogee ensemble looks like a real nice piece of hardware, but i'm simply not really into jumping over to apple logic. the reason that the hardware looks so attractive, however, in addition to logic integration, is the fact that it has above average pre's and A/D section. (and is marketed as such, so if a client walks into your studio, they see something they recognize and trust)

if you us PT, then obviously you are going to use PT hardware. but what about people that are on the fence? w/o a definitive commitment to one DAW over the other, it will be the hardware that makes the difference. (although probably a backwards way at looking at things) i have seen absolutely no evidence that there is any collaboration and this is really more of a "what if" question than a prediction, but wouldn't it be cool if digi were to collaborate with grace? grace already advertises integration into PT for their remote preamps, so why not go the extra step and introduce an 003 (or maybe an 004 the next round) that features grace pre's. this industry is all about the marketing for a significant share, those that don't have the experience or resources to actually listen to gear, so a name like grace might throw up some street cred for digi in their fight against apogee/logic.
Old 26th February 2007

maybe im clutching at straws here but it seams the spanish version of digidesigns website has been updated before the english. in the LE home page:

english

"....rather than a mouse and QWERTY keyboard, the Digi 002 or ProjectMix I/O with Pro Tools...."

Spanish

"....con faders y perillas, en vez de hacerlo con un ratón y un teclado tipo QWERTY, el Digi 003 o la ProjectMix I/O con el software Pro...."

anyone speak spanish?
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Maniac

yeah slutz i think the digidesign guys are playin tricks on us
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
maybe im clutching at straws here but it seams the spanish version of digidesigns website has been updated before the english. in the LE home page:

english

"....rather than a mouse and QWERTY keyboard, the Digi 002 or ProjectMix I/O with Pro Tools...."

Spanish

"....con faders y perillas, en vez de hacerlo con un ratón y un teclado tipo QWERTY, el Digi 003 o la ProjectMix I/O con el software Pro...."

anyone speak spanish?
Says the same thing. Also I just had a look and it doesnt say 003 anymore.

You lot are like kids waiting for christmas! heh
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Head

It's funny how MAC users are not interested by DIGI 003 on the DUC forum.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1116904

Compared to PC users.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1116902
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Nut

Trust me, we´re equally interested. But the Pc thread is where all the 003 action is, was like that before every major music expo too.

But it IS kinda weird

COME ON DIGI!!!!

I´ll gladly shell out 4k for a mid-range system. Sound like one of my converters on the 002 is ****ed anyway. I´m ready for a trade in

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search