The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So hey, rumor is that Digi's 003 will appear at Namm 2008
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebri View Post

There are some very passionate and music oriented people there. These people are truely hurt by the bad rep that Digi gets from places like this.

Boohoohoo. I'm so sad.
fuuck
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Boohoohoo. I'm so sad.
fuuck
tutt Thats pretty lame of you to write Hench...

Old 23rd February 2007
500 series nutjob

feel the love
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post

Whatever.
My eyes are ****ing dry for the people at Digi who are hurt by comments made about them and the company they work for.

"Aah you just spent 15K on a new HD set-up. Cool. Oh, you want machine control?
That's extra. Oh, you want OMF import and export? That's extra. Oh, you want MP3 options? That's extra. Well, yes, it's all built into the sofwtare. But we're going to nickle and diem you to detah and make you pay for the stuff that any real proffessioanl system has already available. But here's a bunch of useless crappy plug-ins we'll give you for free, becaseu nobody wants to buy them.dfegad "
Old 24th February 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Whatever.
My eyes are ****ing dry for the people at Digi who are hurt by comments made about them and the company they work for.

That's extra. Oh, you want OMF import and export? That's extra. Oh, you want MP3 options? That's extra. Well, yes, it's all built into the sofwtare. But we're going to nickle and diem you to detah and make you pay for the stuff that any real proffessioanl system has already available. But here's a bunch of useless crappy plug-ins we'll give you for free, becaseu nobody wants to buy them.dfegad "
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Aah you just spent 15K on a new HD set-up. Cool. Oh, you want machine control?That's extra. Oh, you want OMF import and export? That's extra. Oh, you want MP3 options? That's extra. Well, yes, it's all built into the sofwtare. But we're going to nickle and diem you to detah and make you pay for the stuff that any real proffessional system has already available.
Correct me here if I am wrong, really not looking for a battle (ok maybe i am )

Is _____ not included in a HD(2-3) purchase? :

-Mp3 Support
-Midi Machine Control
-OMF I/E
-Some additional Digidesign filemanagment software crap u normally have to pay extra for ('digibase' or something)

I was under the impression it was... Didn't do my homework on the subject though...

Quote:
But here's a bunch of useless crappy plug-ins we'll give you for free, becaseu nobody wants to buy them.dfegad "
Many of them are crappy. I agree. But your entire statement is subjective. And speaking subjectively, much of the included plugs are actually very good, great sounding plugs.

With an HD2 purchase you get: (just a few from the list - 'Listed Plugs')

Crappy:
Maxim

Very Solid IMHO:
D-fi
Focusrite D2/D3
Sansamp PSA-1
Line6 Ampfarm3

You get my drift... The plugin's don't suck. Thats a cheapshot. Some of them do, but thats the same with every manufacturer, except of course "Cedar"
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post

Repeat: Digidesign is a company not a person, Digidesign is a company not a person, Digidesign is a company....

This is capitalism. Criticism drives progress.

Slags are one thing, but educated criticism is the kind of golden marketing feedback that many companies pay big bucks to get.

Forums like this serve digi more than hurt them.
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Addict

Personally,

I think Digi has painted themselves into a corner a bit. I mean, the LE, or at least some portion of it, is certainly in need of an upgrade of sorts. But at the same time, they don't want to dig into their HD sales. So the only real solution under Digi's current marketing plan, is to upgrade it all (incl. HD). Which is something that we'd all balk at, saying (as a lot of the logic/neundo boys are saying) "why do I need 3 HD cards at $4k each? Don't the new apples have enough horsepower to run all of my plugs?" And that sentiment isn't really wrong.

Perhaps the solution is to start making LE more modular (and HD slightly more affordable - possibly doing bundle deals (ex. HD1 + 96i/o for $5500)). By making LE more modular I mean, start offering Toolkits with different features. You want surround, shell out the cash for the LE Surround toolkit. You want PDC, shell out for the plug in toolkit. By the time the interface, and all the toolkits are added up, I have a feeling that the cost would not be that far from an entry level HD rig. Except it's not expandable in terms of processing power.

Just a thought.

Personally, I hope the first rumor is the more accurate, but I have a nagging feeling that it's not the case. And as an aside, I think if whatever the offering is fails to include some sort of mixing/software advance, Digi will be very disappointed by the response. Though the expresscard idea is also intriguing.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

its officially on its way...

scroll down:

http://www.digidesign.com/sitemap_cr...fm?langid=100&

Cheers,
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

it is yeh, I made a screenshot of that just in case...

seems pretty solid indeed, since they list the 003 family alongside the 002 range.

hopefully it'll have at least 24 inputs, if they release a 003 that's basically two times a 002 as suggested earlier in this thread then I'll be totally interested.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
its officially on its way...

scroll down:

http://www.digidesign.com/sitemap_cr...fm?langid=100&

Cheers,
Again, they pulled all the links.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'm still seeing them, Hench.

Cleared cookies too.
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Maniac

i see them too

its coming, few more days to wait
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

let's hope they focus in quality instead of quantity

Who's insterested in a box with say twice the amount of 002ish pres and converters? That might be fine in the $1000 market, but not in a higher (twice?) price range, where users start to look for QUALITY. ( I might be wrong though)

Look at what apogee is offering with the "ensemble": 4 high-class pres and 8 converters that go head to head with those from digi's 192 interface. All for $2k. Add another $1k for Logic, and for $3k you have a turkney solution that runs miles ahead of any LE system, both in terms of software possibilities and hardware quality.

the 003 should be either a 002 replacement (some better specs, same price) or a bridge between HD and LE. Something like a clone of apogee's "ensemble" as audio interface with an unlimited native version of the HD software, including proper ADC, all for less than $4K.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Ya know.. What I find funny is the fact that this is the second time that these links have been available on their site this week. And you can count on the fact that they know the sh*t they stirred up the first time.

Anyone who's ever operated a website, and I'm sure many here have, know that these things don't just slip by. Especially things of this nature. You don't enter text, or text as a link, mistakenly and then have it lead to nowhere.

It’s quite funny, really... this game.
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Maniac
I would love the 003 to be a PCI-e/ExpressCard/34 with Firewire800. in addition, id laugh my ass off if the next version of PT (which includes 96 tracks and ADC PDC) completely removed support for the 002 to force migrate users to spending more money.Poetic justice would be served upon those 002 users who dissed the 001 users for complaining about their hardware support being removed from PT.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, I get it.
It's just the links that go nowhere.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
id laugh my ass off if the next version of PT (which includes 96 tracks and ADC PDC) completely removed support for the 002 to force migrate users to spending more money.Poetic justice would be served upon those 002 users who dissed the 001 users for complaining about their hardware support being removed from PT.
I'm sure it will happen.
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed. I just got my 002R, but new well and good that will happen sooner than later...
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Well, you have to know they're trying to get rid of their stock of 002s. Look at the ad on the front page of Digi's website. "Buy new HD rig and we'll throw in a 002!"

Oh well, I'm done with that. I decided to switch to running an Ensemble into the M-Audio Lightbridge. Better pre's and converters, still running Pro Tools natively. Life is good.
Old 24th February 2007

Quote:
Whatever.

Preach it Hench! Preach it! Fing ******s
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, I get it.
It's just the links that go nowhere.
One HAS to admire your tenacity.

Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
One HAS to admire your tenacity.

Yeah, I thought that there were pictures. But realise dthey were just links.
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Aid Stock is on a 6 month Low. I was reading some shareholders reports a few weeks ago ( January) and it said AVID's audio division had lower than expected sales ...

http://new.quote.com/stocks/story.ac...02051715003171

http://new.quote.com/stocks/story.action?id=MTO036u2764
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Aid Stock is on a 6 month Low. I was reading some shareholders reports a few weeks ago ( January) and it said AVID's audio division had lower than expected sales ...

http://new.quote.com/stocks/story.ac...02051715003171

http://new.quote.com/stocks/story.action?id=MTO036u2764

I thought this was an interesting quoet from one of the amalysts:

"We believe Avid's problems originate in competitive pressure the company is facing in its core professional video business, where Avid is viewed as over-charging for and over-promising technology," it added."

I guess it's company policy for Avids companies to overcharge.
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebri View Post
They also have some great insights into the market as they have been there for a while. We really took it to them over the gap from LE to HD. They actually had a great answer. Every product that Digi has offered inbetween the two (From 2K to 10K) has failed. Marking wise in the MI world, that is a death zone. You can't really save up more that 2K to cut a check, and if you have to borrow money, 10K is the usual number. Big check, or car payment.
Finally someone with some real insight. That makes so much sense, about the LE-HD gap and why they've kept it that way. Worked extremely well for them btw. What they need to realize is that the mid 2-10K range is growing right now, and products are less likely to fail. Judging from this forum, there are a lot of people ready for that now.

Hey Hench, remember when we kept going back and forth about ranges? Digi just spelled it out, at least from their perspective (and mine too). Low-end < 2K, midend = 2K-10K, high-end > 10K.

IMO, Digi's been right. Even if Digi had come out with a great product in the 2-10K range, most of the bitching on here would continue. It would still be more expensive than x or not as good convertors as y, blah blah blah. The real money has been in high-end and low-end up until now, and they've made most of it. IMO they're a smart enough company to realize that they can't ignore the mid-end, and we'll see the results over the next couple years...
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon2911 View Post
Digi just spelled it out, at least from their perspective (and mine too). Low-end < 2K, midend = 2K-10K, high-end > 10K.
Well, I guess if Digi said it, it must be so.
Or maybe in THEIR world High end is 10k.
Reality is, Hi end is muc more than 10k.
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, I guess if Digi said it, it must be so.
Or maybe in THEIR world High end is 10k.
Reality is, Hi end is muc more than 10k.
Remember, we're talking DAW only, NOT the entire studio. Anyone willing to pay 10K for a DAW is either high-end or bankrupt
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Nut

I would suspect the reason their "mid-level" products failed in the past was not because they were lacking a market, but rather because they were actually very expensive low-end products, and that certainly appeals to no one.

Get away from the "crippleware" approach and make the software equally as capable, seperated by power and hardware only, and you'll see a massive market ready to devour.

...You know - the same market EVERYONE ELSE is targeting. AND not necessarilly getting right, I might add. (aiming too low/narrow)
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow you guys are really extrapolating my statements quite a bit. Digi never said 10K is high end, it's just a magic marketing number that they discovered, as have other manufactures in the MI world. None of their products in the price range have done well, so why make em right?

I hope they do feel some pressure to liven up that 2K point though. Man, when I think of the value of Final Cut pro for 1K (other that the worthless Sountrack), and DV toolkit is more that that, sheesh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search