The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments: UNA CORDA
Old 17th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I ask because NI mentions Nils on the product website and the una Corda was developed for him (and he uses it on his tour) .

Just curiosity about his envolvement. He is a die hard analog fan so it seems incredible he took on this project.
Oh OK! My apologies!

I didn't read the blurb (only listened to the very lovely demo) and thought you were implying that they had somehow "copied" Frahm's use of prepared piano as if it was invented by Nils.

Very interesting back-story then? I just might have to... RTFM!

R.
Old 17th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmi View Post
Dear Tui,

sure, I don't mind you giving us some input
I understand partly what you mean by the term "phaseyness". For the individual tones of the piano we try to avoid phaseyness by working on the phase-relationship quite a lot during the mixdown of the samples, so there shouldn't be any surprises. That's also the reason why we don't allow lots of mixable close-miking options, since that usually results in a phase-mess

Cheers,
Stephan
Dear Stephan,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. (Now I feel like sitting down with you and your team for a reeeealy long chat. )

You see, it is weird to me how piano libraries often end up sounding so different from the instruments they were made with. When you sit down behind a nice, real grand and play a few lines, going up the octaves, there is a tonal balance, and high notes retain a certain "body" and "weight". However, with libraries, it is often as if the low end of higher notes has been EQed out, as if the "thump" from the hammers was gone... Would that be a possibility? Added to that the strange phase behaviour of individual notes... Almost similar to individual notes being out-of-tune, but not quite...

In moments like these, I wished I knew more about physics, because I might then be able to figure it out!

Here's a little Horowitz playing Scarlatti (one of my favourites). As you can hear, when he goes up with the registers, the notes retain "body" and "weight", and there's no thinning out:

I imagine, after creating a library, you compare the sound of a tune played by the same pianist on the real instrument, and then with the library?

Best wishes

Tui
Old 18th December 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Could anyone that has purchased this post some quick demos? The NI demos are nice but most make it hard to hear the actual instrument in detail. Spitfire and LASS for example in depth videos where you can hear the sounds well.
Old 30th December 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I bought the Una Corda. I do like it a lot, though it's not as versatile as I'd hoped.

I find the cotton and felt not very useful (for me). Also the various noises that can be added aren't useful for me.

What is good is:

- The pure sound itself is very good and very unique, and sampled very nicely with good response.

- The Color control allows you to hear more of the softer samples or more of the louder ones--great way to adjust the tone.

- The resonance available is amazing--it can be too much if you turn it up too high, but it works great for ambient textures. The slow attack combined with the resonance provides really nice sounds.

When I accompany myself singing soft jazz ballads, the gentle sound of the Una Corda encourage me to sing more gently too. It's a nice instrument.
Old 31st December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lukas View Post
I bought the Una Corda. I do like it a lot, though it's not as versatile as I'd hoped.

I find the cotton and felt not very useful (for me). Also the various noises that can be added aren't useful for me.

What is good is:

- The pure sound itself is very good and very unique, and sampled very nicely with good response.
Sounds very cool Jon! Any chance you could be bothered to upload a simple audio example of the core sounds? I really want a good struck piano-esque sound but I need to hear it first, these prepared libraries are expensive!
Old 31st December 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Cheers for the feedback Jon...

I'm actually on the fence on this one. I think some of the features would not be very useful to me either while others, like the integrated reversed samples, would be really welcomed and make my work flow easier. I just need to love the tone and feel. The later is harder to tell from demos.

@ truelight - This has an all patch walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDhkZ45c-Dk
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I dig the video and the instrument but

- the problem with NI is that things always end up in the next Komplete (most of them, apparently not the new brass/strings series) and it makes no sense to buy them when they come out as the upgrade price stays the same for everyone

so congrats, I guess, and see ya after K11 Ultimate comes out

k
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good, very good
Old 1st January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This is excellent. Other than the lovely general tone, there are some really nice additions/options that you don't usually find in piano sample libraries that I like.
Old 3rd January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Hi Stephan, perhaps this is my opportunity to personally thank you guys for The Maverick..? I can't tell you how grateful I am for this library... I am sitting here right now with it, practising. The Maverick is the first library I've tried (I own quite a few) that is perfectly balanced across all octaves and never sounds clangy.

Have you considered sampling a 1920s or so Steinway? I am sure you'd do an amazing job.

Anyway, congrats on your recent release, I'll be checking it out.
I would like to thnak you as well. Maverick was the main reason I upgraded to Komplete 10
Old 3rd January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Big love for Nils Frahm here... stoked about the sounds !!!

Please include it into the new Ultimate and please have again a discounted Ultimate Upgrade available again like the years before
Old 7th January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Finally picked up the Una Corda... and fell in love once again with playing the piano. Absolutely inspiring and beautiful for ambient / reflective pieces.

Now for that Maverick piano... surely there is a second-hand one somewhere!
Old 8th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just made a video playing the Una Corda (pure) while singing The Nearness of You. The gentle sound is great for a ballad like this. I didn't add any reverb to the Una Corda, not even the built-in reverb. I did use fairly high settings (about 2/3 of max) for the "Resonance" and "Tonal Depth" controls. Increasing the "Low Keys" setting meant I did not have to use EQ (except a little bit of the built-in EQ at the top end), and I kept the "Dynamic Range" setting fairly low so that I didn't need compression (though there is a little compression and limiting on the master bus).

Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear
I think this is one of the best sample libraries I have heard. Oodles of character, sounds great and incredibly well put together!
Old 28th January 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
SamplesLoops New video: Creating Una Corda

Hey guys,

I hope that you still have a great time using UNA CORDA. We've finished another video with some more details about the UNA CORDA instrument.
Enjoy

Cheers,
Stephan
πŸ“ Reply