The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonnox Release ENVOLUTION – an Evolution in Envelope Shaping
Old 8th December 2015
News Desk Editor

Software Sonnox Release ENVOLUTION – an Evolution in Envelope Shaping

Sonnox Release ENVOLUTION – an Evolution in Envelope Shaping-sonnox-envolution-300dpi-.jpg

Sonnox, leading designer of innovative mixing plug-ins, has today released a brand-new product, Oxford Envolution, a frequency-dependent envelope shaping plug-in to radically modify the sound of individual tracks, buses and even master outputs.

Envolution boasts comprehensive and independent control of transients and sustain, with ‘Tilt’ or ‘Focus’ controls to choose where in the frequency spectrum the effect is applied. This allows complete manipulation of the audio’s envelope to produce creative and even extreme results.

Transients can be boosted to add presence and punch, or reduced to create perspective; while the sustain section can easily make the ambience around a recording bloom, or can be cut back for quick and precise gating.

Senior Sales & Marketing Manager, Nathan Eames, comments, “With such a wide range of potential users in so many audio sectors, from post, music to live sound, we’re excited about the creative possibilities that Envolution will bring. In keeping with all Sonnox designs, we’ve kept three core values in mind throughout the development process of Envolution – ease of use, an intuitive interface and most importantly – a great sound!”
Early feedback from users has been overwhelmingly positive:

“This plug-in is pure gold, absolutely love it. *It will be my main weapon in 2016!” - StoneBridge

“I can change envelopes as I might do in the sampler if I had full*access to the source material!” - Jonathan Campbell

“WOW!!! I’m seriously impressed with Envolution - from the comprehensive controls and the intelligent*frequency selectors, to the gorgeous GUI.” 
- Simon Morrison

Envolution is available in Native format – AAX Native, Audio Units and VST - at a retail price of £170 GBP (ex VAT), and AAX DSP format at a retail of £275.

Link : Sonnox Oxford Plugins
Attached Thumbnails
Sonnox Release ENVOLUTION – an Evolution in Envelope Shaping-sonnox-envolution-300dpi-.jpg  
Old 8th December 2015
Just tried the demo!! Excited! Really powerful shaping abilities here, but a little goes a long way.
Old 8th December 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds very good, not too jittery, i'd like to know what the latency is between in and output as i'd like to use this for shaping samples triggered from my vdrums.

BUT! overpriced. At half the price, i'd buy it instantly, at this price, will wait.
Old 9th December 2015
At this day and age this price is "brave" to put it in a mild term...
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
At this day and age this price is "brave" to put it in a mild term...
Yup...they lost me there...

Zz.
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds great, but very expensive. I might wait for next Black Friday.

Value for money, to get the EDM sound you also might need a
Nexus 2 that is €199 during December. ;-)

Last edited by Bob Yordan; 10th December 2015 at 03:50 PM..
Old 9th December 2015
Gear Addict

I love Sonnox plugins (got most of them) but I have to agree with other posts regarding price of this one - it's just too high! Even with current discount at AudioDeluxe it's still $210. Bought Softube Transient Shaper for $55, it's great for what it does, but I wouldn't pay for it more than $75. I might consider Sonnox for max $99. Next sale maybe
Old 9th December 2015
Gear Addict

Dont buy it ! The price will go down. sadly sonnox are one of the last companies to (not) adjust to the new world order declining economy.
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
Dont buy it ! The price will go down. sadly sonnox are one of the last companies to (not) adjust to the new world order declining economy.
Maybe they don't have to?
Old 9th December 2015
DSK
Lives for gear

Maybe they depend on a niche market of mastering/mixing studios who can afford it.

Why try to sell thousands when you can sell a few hundreds and have less support to worry about.

I have TransMod from them which is really really nice so this one looks rather fantastic..
.. but I can do much much better things with the amount of funds required for Envolution.

With Omnipressor, Transmod and other similar tools I can do enough transient shaping to simply not care about it's existence.

Sonnonx and a few others are still playing the elite game because they know they have something good and there are people out there willing to pay for some 10-20% extra in real or perceived quality.

It actually looks like a great processing tool and they are used to charge like this.
So I see no problem here for me as a customer.

But considering the economy and alternatives like Zynaptiq's Unmix:Drums which is in the same price bracket I would have played more competitive..
Old 9th December 2015
DSK
Lives for gear

On a second note what I find strange is that they use for the demo EDM kind of sounds which are targeted at a younger audience who definitely couldn't afford this so.....
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
On a second note what I find strange is that they use for the demo EDM kind of sounds which are targeted at a younger audience who definitely couldn't afford this so.....
I think you're looking at it from a music production perspective while most potential users will probably be mixing engineers (as you already mentioned two posts above).
Old 9th December 2015
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I think you're looking at it from a music production perspective while most potential users will probably be mixing engineers (as you already mentioned two posts above).
Exactly.. the SW looks mixing oriented.... but the demo is focused too much on the EDM sound where most music creators also mix their own stuff and then send straight to be mastered.

Unless I am mistaken... but that's where my confusion comes from.
Old 10th December 2015

Really impressed by the demonstration vid. Can't wait to test drive it.
Old 10th December 2015
awesome plugins but they're pricing is way out of line so I've never bought.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Looks/sounds fantastic.

I don't think the price tag is out of line in any way. Oh well. Good tools are going to cost you.
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Head
Was very excited about this, but I don't get it. I love transmod, but I don't see what this adds compared to the tools that I already have.
Very hard to make it sound good, but maybe it works better for acoustic sounds.

The price is insane for something so basic, maybe if their support could bother responding to emails I would be more inclined :P
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Nice try, they take the transient processing a bit further........but the pricing is just ridiculous. I have the ones from N.I., Softube
and Waves, also I have the Transmod and i use it very often. Why they don't give the option to Transmod users for an upgrade path to Envolution, since it's the same tool with more bells and whistles?

Never mind, will wait for FabFilter's version of transient processor which i'm sure it will deliver the same and maybe more in a good price.

Cheers!
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Addict

Most of us here on GS are well informed about things like prices, so I'd expect just about everyone here to pass on this one because of the insane price.

But what about the rest of the (uninformed) world? Will people really pay this much for a transient shaper?
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Addict

Sound nice, but indeed expensive. I wish more plugin manufacturers would use House and electronic music examples in their video's.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Considering there're tones of phenomenal options out there - the pricing is simply ridiculous. In fact, all Sonnox plugins are massively overpriced even during sales times.
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Nut

Not a very good demo video; the same kind of clumsy sound I´m trying to avoid (or they have been in a hurry to tweak the sound and publish the video). Not impressed.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

As a customer, this company treated me like sh*t a few years ago. I still feel too bitter to give them my dough. Although the responsible parties probably no longer work there...
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak View Post
they take the transient processing a bit further........
in what way?
Old 11th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Considering there're tones of phenomenal options out there - the pricing is simply ridiculous. In fact, all Sonnox plugins are massively overpriced even during sales times.
This!! I've never been tempted by any of their stuff even during a sale. Just look at the competition (Fabfilter, Slate, etc.).
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
in what way?
In the way of more control over the processing.

-You can select the frequency, independently for transients and sustain parts.
-You have a Hold variant that gives more options shaping the envelope.
-You have a monitor with the Diff mode where you can listen only the effected parts of the signal and act accordingly.
-Bypass switch on both processes apart from the main bypass.
-The dry/wet knob is a nice add on too.
-The Warmth, i guess a touch of saturation to .....warm things up? (I like it on TransMod though)

In general it has some more functionality than just a two knob processor, that most of the competition has to offer, but even this way it doesn't justify the price at all for me. As i said will wait for FabFilter's approach on the Transient matter...
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

If they don't sell, they will lower the prices

But I suspect that they will, sell that is.

PS. Remember that many of (if not most) Sonnox users are commercial studios and pro engineers and producers, that will have Tax deduction and paying clients to "pay" for their gear and plugins (have to have larger income than expenses of course ).
It is in this world Sonnox lives and breaths. And doing fine btw
Old 11th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
It is in this world Sonnox lives and breaths. And doing fine btw
Is it tho? I doubt that.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

This thing seems much more powerful than what's on the market in this segment . Still, Sonnox seem to be the only company charging extra for AAX DSP ( TDM style) Softube, Plugin Alliance, Flux, Matthew Lane all provide DSP versions for the same price .
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
As a customer, this company treated me like sh*t a few years ago. I still feel too bitter to give them my dough. Although the responsible parties probably no longer work there...
This was actually one of my first thoughts when I saw the thread, Chad. I remember them screwing with you back then.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search