The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
OK! Great news, mainly because it's another corroboration. One of our main Beta testers for instance, noticed that when the AROUSOR is up front on the display of a new MAC OS, the main PT screen gets slower and glitches appear, which we do not see here with older OS, nor on any Windows machines. As soon as you close the AROUSOR interface, the problem goes away. If we had to have one or the other work flawlessly, this is the way I would want it. The display on the AROUSOR is really fast and analog feeling, and it would literally HURT me if that got compromised.

While you are adjusting a Plugin, the plugin display should be super accurate without indeterminacies. Once closed and not on top, it should NEVER affect anything but the audio!

Still... isn't it scary that new MAC OS's have degraded video performance? It makes me angry.

Thanks for the info, superwack.
Hi Dave, What is the version of mac os you are testing with?
Old 3rd May 2016
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I'm a PC guy having bailed on Apple when system neXt came out. I had to buy three graphics cards to find something that wouldn't choke on Vista.

My wife had edited all of the neXt training materials and a close friend had fought with it at Stanford. I was not about to go there until a lot got straightened out and by that time I actually found the PC easier to relate to. I just dragged the trash can to the lower right corner, put aliases of my software on a flat grey desktop and most people thought I was still using System 9!

To be polite, I happen to think both M$ and Apple are ethically challenged Ponzi schemes but we are stuck with them.
Great story! Yeah at the Ponzi schemes and the monopolies. They hook you in with lots of support and Apps, and then you pay to keep using them as they break your apps so you have to re-buy them. I complain a lot about Operating Systems but at the end of the day, I do more in an hour now than used to be possible in a day.

And Bob, look at how spoiled everyone is today! A whole studio for $3000 in your computer, automation on every track, and as many EQs and Compressors you can dream up. Sheesh, I spent $8K for just a Ramsa board, with a 3 band EQ on each channel. Bought an Otari MX80 for $24,000 etc. Again, I can do more in a little Windows computer than I ever could with a couple hundred grand worth of hardware. SooOOoo I guess we should be glad.

But still... for a new OS to get slower on the same hardware than an older OS? I dunno.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Picture some loveless schmuck sitting in the spare bedroom of his Mom's house, in his underwear, at his 7 year old PC, next to his Rokits and a Stratocaster knockoff, desperate to make big music and the cost of this plugin is the only thing standing between him and stardom. Oh. That would be me.
That's all of us man.
Old 3rd May 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
OK! Great news, mainly because it's another corroboration. One of our main Beta testers for instance, noticed that when the AROUSOR is up front on the display of a new MAC OS, the main PT screen gets slower and glitches appear, which we do not see here with older OS, nor on any Windows machines. As soon as you close the AROUSOR interface, the problem goes away. If we had to have one or the other work flawlessly, this is the way I would want it. The display on the AROUSOR is really fast and analog feeling, and it would literally HURT me if that got compromised.

While you are adjusting a Plugin, the plugin display should be super accurate without indeterminacies. Once closed and not on top, it should NEVER affect anything but the audio!

Still... isn't it scary that new MAC OS's have degraded video performance? It makes me angry.

Thanks for the info, superwack.
that's a pt and el capitan problem and is happening worse than that with pro tools included plugins! it's a nightmare. El capitan has got major graphics delay bugs. So much for metal.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
And Bob, look at how spoiled everyone is today! A whole studio for $3000 in your computer, automation on every track, and as many EQs and Compressors you can dream up.
Heck, I remember saving up my penny's to get my first Fostex 4 track cassette. And I knew it was the beginning of a beautiful addiction!
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
I don't understand the complaints about price.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. If it's not worth it to you, don't buy it. Why do you feel entitled to a lower price, or feel the need to complain to all of us about it? Do you think you're going to whine your way into a discount?

$350 is a small amount of money. $350 for a useful tool is nothing. This is especially true if said tool does something you value, which other tools don't.

If your finances are a disaster, or you're particularly inept at making money, don't take that out on the people creating tools you can't afford. They don't owe you anything.
Totally agree. People clearly have no idea how much time and money goes into developing, releasing and supporting a new product.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't understand the complaints about price.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. If it's not worth it to you, don't buy it. Why do you feel entitled to a lower price, or feel the need to complain to all of us about it? Do you think you're going to whine your way into a discount?

$350 is a small amount of money. $350 for a useful tool is nothing. This is especially true if said tool does something you value, which other tools don't.

If your finances are a disaster, or you're particularly inept at making money, don't take that out on the people creating tools you can't afford. They don't owe you anything.
It's a mere advice for more sales I suppose
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Totally agree. People clearly have no idea how much time and money goes into developing, releasing and supporting a new product.
But then the question would be, would current stated price generate maximum revenue? In the current market, a maximum revenue price is probably lower (most other developers get products on the market in the $100-200 bin so it's logical to assume this price is what gets most money).
The strategy would probably be to generate more sales long term, i.e. to spread out sales over time, and they can always drop prices after some time to get more people on board, but it is unlikely they are going for maximum revenue atm.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Well said, dude.

The somewhat un********ic price-point of the plug-in has unveiled this crazy schism amongst members of the forum, and perhaps the buying audience for this plugin at large - cleaved between those who think little of spending 350 bucks on a tool that makes mixing quicker, more exciting, better sounding, and those who feel such an investment is disproportionate to the rewards gained, given the high quality of compression plugins costing much, much less. Either group seems to resent the other. Even though I fall into the former category, I wonder if the initial release would fair better if the plugin were to be released at, say, $299? A question above my pay grade...

At the very least, I feel that folks should be respectful of the fact that this compressor, given it's pedigree and what's been said by it's creator, is a true product of passion and love and time and money and research and development.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

There's a helluva lot of whining going on.

Don't like the price? Code your own ****ing Distressor.

Delay? Comparisons to Slate? You've got to be kidding me. What's it been, 6 months or something, including a huge iLok fiasco? Slate would be 2 years with no iLok thing.

Lots of awkward, entitled brattiness going around.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Nut

Worst thread ever

Guys, this has to be one of the most boring threads ever. The hype machine's just not worth it surely dave?
Looking forward to demoing the plugin. Can't read anymore "opinions" about the price blah blah blah.
Hopefully the plugin goes beyond all the fuss.
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
If Mike is backing this (and I am guessing by his comments that he has used it in beta), that just adds weight to the already substantial pedigree. I don't mind the price, even if it hurts my wallet. What's a new phone cost these days? When was the last time you spent above your regular internet bill? If it is 1:1, it would be worth it, knowing that Dave is obsessive about his designs. But what Mike says is true. We've NOT heard it. If it adds the sense of gravity and weight of hardware, within the ease of use and automation of a DAW, without any of the artefacts of analog, I would be silly not to give it a serious demo. If it goes beyond the usefulness of a Distressor, well, what is THAT worth? I fi makes me replace every compressor I own, and regret all those purchases, would it be worth it?

Ultimately, the demo will tell me whether or not the product is for me. Stop drooling and speculating about a product you might not want to afford; listen to the demo when it's available. If it makes sounds speak to you out of the speakers in half the regular mix time, it's worth every dollar. I'll wait and reserve judgment until I've heard it, and I'll give it the chance to win me over. Spending life hoping for bargains every day just cheapens our whole industry.
I haven't used it in beta or the demo.

The fact is there are things you can do with any compressor plugin that can't be done with hardware. That's why I can be certain about some of the comments I made.
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by parametrick View Post
A lot of the same people complaining about price are the same people willingly supporting/purchasing plugs by developers who pay ZERO royalties to the companies they blatantly rip from. IP has value in every industry dont forget.

Imagine how much Slate and Sknote plugins would cost if they broke off a slice to the companies whose designs and graphics they lifted. A lot easier to copy than innovate.

Companies like Valhalla and Klanghelm are gifts to the community, but they also have no skin in the hardware game where manufacturing costs are out-of-pocket.

$350 to support a solid company with an awesome philosophy/product is money well spent.

How about Empirical gives a free copy or deal to to every owner of a HW unit (who can produce a serial number/ receipt)
I had Rupert Neve, Geoff Daking, Greg Gualtieri and Dave Amels all in a room for essentially a group interview and this subject came up.

I was amazed that none of them felt that you should be able to copyright/trademark the sound of a circuit, only the circuit itself.
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
Better get a fork ready...
Or "You'd better start tossing your salad!"
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
We have decided to do one more rev before the Demos are available. It shouldn't hold things up really. Fixed a few tiny things, and are thinking of enabling another unique feature, as it doesn't add anything to the front panel interface. But I am going to want to pass it by some testers again, dammit.

Beta responses are pretty much in and so far, every single one really likes it. (Some of them may say that is putting it very mildly). Over the weekend, it looks like a few of them will be on here (Gearslutz), and I hope they stick their necks out and reveal themselves. Some are actually already on here, but we have asked them to stay incognito for a couple days.

Still working on the latest Supported Format list, and very sorry I have not had time to put it up yet.

More later!
You should send a copy to the guy responsible for the Lil FrEQ revision 13.

Then shoot a video of Gil for Snapchat!
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
Greetings Heraldo
With a feedback compressor design, one can't predict where the output will go when the input is changed. If you are above the knee, the output will not hardly change at all, so adjusting the output down when the input is turned up will probably result in a loss of level, the opposite of what one would expect. Doing a one to one compensation, with one dB up on the input turns down the output one dB, would change the output level much more than leaving it alone, especially if you are above the knee, on a medium ratio. With the wide range available, the Attack control will also severly affect the peak output levels. How could one compensate for this also? It becomes a confusing moving target.

We also want to stay with what folks are used to, and in this case, they kind of expect operation similar to our Distressor. Compensating I/O knob levels is very easy to do interface wise, but I am not sure it would work predictably, or usefully with this compressor. BUT... we have actually provided for it if we can find a way.
Check out the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor that has a level matching bypass feature.

It's not the same thing, but it achieves the same goal. It should be standard on everything, like a mix knob.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Totally. And that's valid.

But there's a lot of bitching and whining in this thread. That was the target of my comment.
And you expected anything less????
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post

Delay? Comparisons to Slate? You've got to be kidding me. What's it been, 6 months or something, including a huge iLok fiasco? Slate would be 2 years with no iLok thing.

I'm usually one of the guys that takes your POV on these types of things but this is one of the very few times I am not. I think most people complaining about the price are looking at this price point relative to the rest of the market, and comparatively speaking you cannot deny that this plugin is priced quite a bit higher. Valid point though, " don't like the price don't buy it". My biggest issue is the lack of feature set that most,if not all, were expecting. It's obvious this information must have been known from the get go but was never shared. Why? Because it would have been s buzz kill.

I own the hardware and love it and I might have been tempted to try it had this plugin had the same feature set as the hardware. I might have even been able to grin and bare the price, but without the harmonic distortion modes, Brit mode and Opto mode I don't see anything that really sets this one apart from the hundreds that are already available for much less other than the fact that Dave Derr's name is attached to this one.
Old 3rd May 2016
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Picture some loveless schmuck sitting in the spare bedroom of his Mom's house, in his underwear, at his 7 year old PC, next to his Rokits and a Stratocaster knockoff, desperate to make big music and the cost of this plugin is the only thing standing between him and stardom. Oh. That would be me.
you discribed me..lol but not having another compressor is not stopping me!
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
I think most people complaining about the price are looking at this price point relative to the rest of the market and comparatively speaking you cannot deny that this plugin is priced quite a bit higher. Valid point though, " don't like the price don't buy it". My biggest issue is the lack of feature set that most if not all were expecting. It's obvious this information must have been known from the get go but was never shared. Why? Because it would have been s buzz kill.

I own the hardware and love it and I might have been tempted to try it had this plugin had the same feature set as the hardware. I might have even been able to grin and bare the price, but without the harmonic distortion modes, Brit mode and Opto mode I don't see anything that really sets this one apart from the hundreds that are already available for much less other than the fact that Dave Derr's name is attached to this one.
I don't agree about the price being higher than the rest of the market, especially for emulations of hardware, be it 1:1 or adapted versions, look at :
- UAD with the prices of Manley, Empirical Labs, Lexicon, Studer, Ampex, Neve, API, Shadow Hills...
- Softube with Tubetech, Summit Audio -
- Plugin Alliance with the new Acme, Elysia, Vertigo, Millenia....and the list goes on.

All in the same ballpark : 299$-349$.

Anybody else complaining about the price : read those numbers again.

Without even listening to the thing, how can anybody already be disappointed at "missing" features???

It was never implied this would be a 1:1 port btw, so it will not sound identical.
In doing so, you might actually be surprised.

Until demo'd all these negative comments are pure speculation, and in fact, could be removed. Oh no, wait, that's 75% of gslutz.

Again, there is a moan-zone for a reason : use it!
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Dear Price Hagglers,
You've waited this long, just wait until Christmas, when Empirical has it on sale, like everybody else. I picked up Vertigo and Maag from Plugin Alliance at half price. And by the way, their list prices are in the same ballpark. But no. This will debut in a few days, and people will be dogsbollocks crazy about it, and you'll cave. You slutty wimps.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
LOL!

Pretty sure you're the only one who's been suggesting it, no one else. Hahaha!!
No he did not start that rumor but it arouses him.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't agree about the price being higher than the rest of the market, especially for emulations of hardware, be it 1:1 or adapted versions, look at :
- UAD with the prices of Manley, Empirical Labs, Lexicon, Studer, Ampex, Neve, API, Shadow Hills...
- Softube with Tubetech, Summit Audio -
- Plugin Alliance with the new Acme, Elysia, Vertigo, Millenia....and the list goes on.

All in the same ballpark : 299$-349$.
Softube CL1B is the only one in this price range from Softube BTW. Summit Audio TLA-100A is just North of $200. The entire channel is $330.

And if you wait for a Softube sale, you can get things at a much better price. I picked up the whole Tube-Tech Classic Channel including the CL1B for I believe $200 - much cheaper than the Distressor plugin is going to cost.

The people complaining about the people complaining about the price are just as silly IMO. With the exception of a few beta testers, no one has heard this yet. Is it in the same league as other comps at that price? No one knows. I've seen two beta tester reviews, one from a guy who'd never used the hardware. Will it be worth almost double what most of the "higher end" ITB compressor emulations are going for? We'll soon find out.

The market will dictate the price after some time.

I'm looking forward to demoing it and comparing it to the hardware, but won't be buying at this price. I've got a single hardware unit and Pink and MJUC are fantastic ITB character comps for me.

Regardless, congrats to the team on finally realizing the results of all the hard work.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post

This is a silly attitude. How is saying "I think it's too expensive" whining?

Any developer faces a set of choices about pricing. They are simple for people not on GS to understand

price high, sell fewer, recoup costs faster (Arouser)
Price low, sell more, recoup costs more slowly. (MJUC)

It's not like there is one price, and it's not as if there is any evidence that more labor went into the Arouser than into any other plugin. It may have--they are surely claiming it did. But what are they gonna say--we dashed this off using leftover code from an Amiga game?

You want to recoup your labor costs--there are at least couple ways to do it.

And if Dave Derr wants to start a teasey thread hyping the product, I'm not sure why somebody saying "I think that's too expensive" is some kind of forbidden speech

For example: That's more than I'm willing to pay for a plugin, unless it's TOTALLAY ZOMG AWESOME NIGHT AND DAY DUUUUDE! And even then I'm put off by the slap-and -tickle of this thread, but that's just my opinion. I'm sorry if it makes you feel hurt.

Did I mention I think it's priced too high? And so I probably won't buy it or "code my own?" Do I seem entitled here?

Last edited by PB+J; 3rd May 2016 at 03:23 PM..
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The people complaining about the people complaining about the price are just as silly IMO
So you're complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining about the price?
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
So you're complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining about the price?
It's a GS thing. If somebody complains about the price they usually get scolded or accused of being an impoverished failure or one of "those kids today who want everything for nothing get off my lawn" or being "unprofessional." Because everyone knows the quality of your work is ENTIRELY dependent on how much money you spent on gear.

Meanwhile there isn't much to talk about other than the price and the name, since the demo has yet to appear.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic View Post
So why are you still here?
Please just take a gander at this "persons" participation on other threads. Then you'll have your answer.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Summit Audio TLA-100A is just North of $200. The entire channel is $330.
Nice catch, got me on this one .

For the rest, it is not about complaining the complaints, it is about wanting a thread to stay meaningful, informative and a pleasure to read. That is how I'd like to see forums, steered this way by the users, if possible, if not with the help of moderators.
Criticism is vital, and the fact users can interact with the devs here is something to cherish, but it has to stay constructive and based on facts for it to work :
- saying something bad about the quality/features before hearing : verbal pollution.
- saying something about the price without properly looking up brand emulations pricing, which is exactly what this product is about : idem.

Lots of people write before they think on the internet. The opposite would change it all for the better. As simple as that.

Don't get me started on complaining about those who say that complaining about the complaints is silly

Back on topic : where is the demo?
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't understand the complaints about price.$350 is a small amount of money.
Great, so you will by me one then?
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nice catch, got me on this one .

For the rest, it is not about complaining the complaints, it is about wanting a thread to stay meaningful, informative and a pleasure to read. That is how I'd like to see forums, steered this way by the users, if possible, if not with the help of moderators.
Criticism is vital, and the fact users can interact with the devs here is something to cherish, but it has to stay constructive and based on facts for it to work :
- saying something bad about the quality/features before hearing : verbal pollution.
- saying something about the price without properly looking up brand emulations pricing, which is exactly what this product is about : idem.

Lots of people write before they think on the internet. The opposite would change it all for the better. As simple as that.

Don't get me started on complaining about those who say that complaining about the complaints is silly

Back on topic : where is the demo?
Karma strikes back. Lol. I get your point but what I'm saying is that if this plugin does not have all the features that the hardware does, then can you really call it 1:1 emulation of a Distressor? I don't think so in my book, and if you had read further in my post you would have seen that my feelings were if it was actually full featured then, against my better judgment, I probably would spring for it. I get it though. I've said my piece. No need to restate it.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear