The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1261
Gear Addict
 
transverb's Avatar
 

What's in a name? that which we call a compressor
By any other name would compress as sweet;


After reading ~45 pages I'm looking forward to actually giving the demo a spin!

All the best on the market research, branding, beta, costing and release Dave! Some good feedback on this thread by a wide spectrum of pros > hobbiests. Isn't gearstluz grand! (PS my wife was also sus on this forum title)

+1 On a 'semi' no thrills version. Would love this option since the price tag on the full version would prove to be prohibitive for me as well.

PS. In poker we call the picture puzzle a slow roll mate.

Last edited by transverb; 2nd May 2016 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: poetry
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1262
Gear Nut
 
Saint Dominic's Avatar
Just remember... "Bat out of Hell" is one of best selling albums of all time... Even though it was written by an artist with one of the worst names in Rock history. Meat Loaf. I'm not saying that AROUSOR is a bad name... In fact, I actually like it... but it just goes to show, that a controversial name is great for drawing attention.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1263
Gear Nut
I agree that the name sucks. But I find it more disappointing that it's just not called the Distressor. Why call it something other that what it's emulating ? I don't get it.

Regarding Daves persona ? I find it refreshing that he doesn't come on here in a suit and tie. He comes in with jeans and a T Shirt like one of us. He isn't putting on a bull**** act that people see straight through anyway. Kudos Dave.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1264
So to clear it up a bit, it's actually not a 1:1 distressor plugin. It's an Arousor plugin modeled from a distressor without opto and Brit modes for $349, with no audio samples, no roadmap for updates, no estimate time for opto or Brit mode being added ( like an 1176 plug with no all buttons in ?), old 6:1 is now 8:1 , changing the name before release after saying its a distressor plugin for months, beta testers not posting any audio examples, beta testers or Eli post no comparison of arousor to hardware, puzzle pieces ( who cares ), going on about new features without showing them ( 1 min YT demo vid would be awesome about now ) what about a resizable gui?

How about some audio samples? Where are you beta testers ? Don't tell me y'all are NDA'd regarding processed audio ? I really wanted to support this release now Im having second thoughts.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1265
Here for the gear
 

The name does seem a bit cheap and novelty to me but IF it sounds as good as my hw distressors I'll get over it. However, the constant jokes from clients when working with the plugin on the screen will get old I'm sure. Maybe I'll put a piece of tape over the names of the hw units and rename them Baby Gravy and French Tickler respectively to divert attention.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1266
Gear Nut
 

Slate on steroids...although I will demo it and reserve judgement.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1267
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

I thought he made it pretty clear that this isn't just emulating the Distressor.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1268
Gear Head
 
StudioK9's Avatar
I think the natives are getting restless
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1269
The Distressor's "daddy"
 
Dave Derr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverb View Post
What's in a name? that which we call a compressor
By any other name would compress as sweet;


After reading ~45 pages I'm looking forward to actually giving the demo a spin!

All the best on the market research, branding, beta, costing and release Dave! Some good feedback on this thread by a wide spectrum of pros > hobbiests. Isn't gearstluz grand! (PS my wife was also sus on this forum title)

+1 On a 'semi' no thrills version. Would love this option since the price tag on the full version would prove to be prohibitive for me as well.

PS. In poker we call the picture puzzle a slow roll mate.
You read all 45 pages?? You must be totally confused then. Ha I do love my time on Gearslutz. So different from what designers usually do, well... except for the whole 8 hours a day of sitting in front of a computer thing.

It would be fun to do a stripped down version. But we gotta get this one out first! Ha. It's been a bit trying, and if not for the patience of the moderators and the fun folks on here, it coulda been a disaster with the "unwanted break" and all. But once out, perhaps we can think about an "AROUSOR Jr" at a price anyone can afford. (It wouldn't be anytime too soon though).

Thank you for your kind wishes, AND the "slow roll" metaphor.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1270
Here for the gear
 

Dave, please put us out of our misery and let us try it out already
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1271
The Distressor's "daddy"
 
Dave Derr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristruman View Post
Dave, please put us out of our misery and let us try it out already
Ha haaaa We're trying so hard kristruman. The ELI Engineers here have been working all weekend trying to get back on schedule. I've broken out in weird skin eruptions, had heartburn, some unexplainable body aches, and there is this funny smell. It may be me. Now I'm afraid my beautiful wife is seeing someone else. ::wink:: Other than that, the weekend has been great.

Actually, I have had a good weekend thanks to the fun Gearslutz folks kind words and enthusiasm after finally letting the plugin name out of the bag. But it is embarrassing not having everyone with a plug to try out at this point. Our schedule was for demos to be available last Friday. Part of me has to agree with the grouchiest among you... Where's the beef, already? (below). Or is it as many suspect... all bun? Anyway, I can absolutely promise you the demos and plugin will be out next wee... errr... in... 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-wheres-beef.png  

Last edited by Dave Derr; 2nd May 2016 at 07:20 AM..
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
They're in it together...Slate's Fabrice IS the coder behind this plugin which explains why it took years..

Is this true or in jest? If Fabrice worked on the algorithms for this, my expectations will have increased even more. FabG is probably the best there is at analog emulation algorithms (along w DBerners of course).
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1273
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Is this true or in jest? If Fabrice worked on the algorithms for this, my expectations will have increased even more. FabG is probably the best there is at analog emulation algorithms (along w DBerners of course).
Yes and Bob Clearmountain is on the beta testing team also.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1274
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Now my opinion is an endorsement.
I dont think ive ever heard a negative or unbiased opinion from a beta tester, so the mere fact that Beta is commenting makes it somewhat of an endorsement. FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
It would be fun to do a stripped down version. But we gotta get this one out first! Ha. It's been a bit trying, and if not for the patience of the moderators and the fun folks on here, it coulda been a disaster with the "unwanted break" and all. But once out, perhaps we can think about an "AROUSOR Jr" at a price anyone can afford. (It wouldn't be anytime too soon though).
Dave, I think a name like Xstressor keeps things more in the spirit....I see a name like arousor, and have no idea what that is..

I see a name like Xstressor and immediately, i am hopeful that it has something to do with the distressor.

I read nearly none of this thread, so forgive me if im missing something. Just my 2 cents.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 View Post
I dont think ive ever heard a negative or unbiased opinion from a beta tester, so the mere fact that Beta is commenting makes it somewhat of an endorsement. FWIW.
Fair enough, together with Alistair's explanation of the definition of endorsement, I can see the term in place.

I can't speak for other betatesters, but for all products, if I claim I like it, I stand behind it. And you will not find much praise from me in 4000+ posts on here. Partly also because I haven't triedeverything, of course.
I *honestly* think this is one of the better and more versatile compressors on the market.
And no, I will not make any money on this, I offered Dave my help after he shouted out for help especially on Windows. As I am testing Windows setups almost daily, why not helping out an industry colleague, especially such a nice guy as Dave.
That's all there is to it. I have no audio examples as I did not set up such tests and now I am ill at home without a system (or an iLok).

Regarding all the negativity: every developer has his/her own style of rolling out a product. The release was delayed due to iLok, and without this the release would have been pretty much on schedule. The whole drama about the puzzle, the name and the hype is all about Gearslutz, not about Dave or the plugin (even though I suspect this thread arouses Dave ).
Just try the demo when it is out. If you think it is worth 349$, buy it. If not, continue life. I make such choices almost on a daily basis...

My name is Leon, and I am a Gearslut.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1276
The Distressor's "daddy"
 
Dave Derr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Fair enough, together with Alistair's explanation of the definition of endorsement, I can see the term in place.

I can't speak for other betatesters, but for all products, if I claim I like it, I stand behind it. And you will not find much praise from me in 4000+ posts on here. Partly also because I haven't triedeverything, of course.
I *honestly* think this is one of the better and more versatile compressors on the market.
And no, I will not make any money on this, I offered Dave my help after he shouted out for help especially on Windows. As I am testing Windows setups almost daily, why not helping out an industry colleague, especially such a nice guy as Dave.
That's all there is to it. I have no audio examples as I did not set up such tests and now I am ill at home without a system (or an iLok).

Regarding all the negativity: every developer has his/her own style of rolling out a product. The release was delayed due to iLok, and without this the release would have been pretty much on schedule. The whole drama about the puzzle, the name and the hype is all about Gearslutz, not about Dave or the plugin (even though I suspect this thread arouses Dave ).
Just try the demo when it is out. If you think it is worth 349$, buy it. If not, continue life. I make such choices almost on a daily basis...

My name is Leon, and I am a Gearslut.
Ha haaa Leon. You're a good man. It's funny because I just took a break from compiling your emails and all the issues you reported. We are down to little things on some secondary Daws, thanks to your help, among others. I just added another DAW that has been tested. Need to update our Supported Format list tomorrow... again. I want to get that posted here.

There are going to be a lot more audio examples in the next few weeks. Other folks have already started making videos, and you can look forward to some exclusive stuff right here, from the Gearslutz staff. But there is an early demo on page 15 of this thread, instrumental, but with AROUSORs on almost every track. Lower on the page is a version with all AROUSORs bypassed. But we have some vocal stuff and other stuff coming, hopefully from some real mix engineers.

Thanks for your post, Leon

My Name is Dave, and I am a Gearslut
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1277
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Aroused or NOT, this is one of the worst marketing stunt I have ever witnessed.

The method, the puzzle, the waiting (NOT only the iLok to blame), the NAME and the price for a plugin in 2016, is all way out IMHO.

Maybe they are kidding us with the price?
Especially on the Vst Native side (which $349 is way to much in this day and age). AAX DSP has always been more expensive, and Vst Native users should NOT be the one to pay for that part.
Tha's just NOT how the plugin world works in 2016.....

Maybe they are kidding us on the name?
Arousor, what a jerky/stupid/childish name from what to be considered a pro audio company (even though the name don't affect any performance).
Is it a compressor we are talking about? The name don't suggest anything..... other than a mildly "he he" (for a couple of seconds).

Some practical questions (many things lost in "translation"):

Is it still iLok2 protected?

Will there be a fully featured demo?
Not that I ever will demo it at that price (you can get the full Metric Halo Production Bundle for $299 - which is a very high standard plugin bundle).
Yes I have some plugind on the "pricier" side, but not a single one at $349. So I expect the price to be lowered pretty fast (way before Black Friday).

And WHEN?
Please just finish up this BS (all hat, no cattle), and get it out there for the people to judge (Beta Testers joining in are not the best and/or reliable source for reviews - proud to be a member, may get it for free, have been biased/getting their wishes feaured (not only bug testing)).

Do you jump the bar?
And after all this "this is the "most" expensive plugin ever made", "many years in the making" bla bla bla, the user should experience a "BUG FREE" initial release.
If it shows up with "bugs and quirks" after all this hype, and the first users in will function as an extra set of Beta Testers, they better call it the EMBARRASSOR

Please shut up and bring it on is my take on it
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1278
Gear Addict
 
krevvy's Avatar
Amazes me that nice people like Dave even bother interacting on boards like this.
If you don't like the hype.. Don't read the post
If you don't like the cost, find alternatives.
If you don't like the name... See above.

I can't wait to demo this thing, and don't see the price an issue.
The name I would of preferred just "distressor" but understandable that is not a 1:1 clone, and maybe that's been kept for a future UAD exclusive?
The plugin name isn't so important, the sound of it is. And I'm willing to bet they got the sound great, bring on the demo!!!
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1279
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Aroused or NOT, this is one of the worst marketing stunt I have ever witnessed.

The method, the puzzle, the waiting (NOT only the iLok to blame), the NAME and the price for a plugin in 2016, is all way out IMHO.
Indeed i am seeing all this a bit underwhelming. A lot of talk, ok, buzz ok. But providing future customers with puzzle and beta people reports while at the same time there is no real audio example is a bit uncommon.

Why noone is allowed to post a simple sound demo of compressed drums or something like that. One would think after so much time we should already hear it.

Puzzle thing was kinda like 1st grade marketing tutorial from 1987.

I am really looking forward to hear it in action. With all this talk (minus puzzle) i really expect it to be on pair withhardware brother.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1280
Gear Head
 

I'm not reading this thread anymore. Dave, kindly send me a PM when it is ready.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1281
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krevvy View Post
Amazes me that nice people like Dave even bother interacting on boards like this.
If you don't like the hype.. Don't read the post
If you don't like the cost, find alternatives.
If you don't like the name... See above.

I can't wait to demo this thing, and don't see the price an issue.
The name I would of preferred just "distressor" but understandable that is not a 1:1 clone, and maybe that's been kept for a future UAD exclusive?
The plugin name isn't so important, the sound of it is. And I'm willing to bet they got the sound great, bring on the demo!!!
Just bring the AROUSEMENT on................ And then we can talk later

PS. The funny thing is that I actually have a pair of HW Distressors on my short list

The name don't bother me on a personal level, pro it is NOT.

The cost will/have to come down.

The hype aside, when someone says there is an upcoming DISTRESSOR plugin in the works "every" sound engineer will be a bit curious. And want some valuable info (which force you to read through a LOT of marketing BS and GS opinions).

Why no "straight to the point" feature list on a easy to see web/info page?
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1282
Lives for gear
 
Christof's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
So to clear it up a bit, it's actually not a 1:1 distressor plugin. It's an Arousor plugin modeled from a distressor without opto and Brit modes for $349, with no audio samples, no roadmap for updates, no estimate time for opto or Brit mode being added ( like an 1176 plug with no all buttons in ?), old 6:1 is now 8:1 , changing the name before release after saying its a distressor plugin for months, beta testers not posting any audio examples, beta testers or Eli post no comparison of arousor to hardware, puzzle pieces ( who cares ), going on about new features without showing them ( 1 min YT demo vid would be awesome about now ) what about a resizable gui?

How about some audio samples? Where are you beta testers ? Don't tell me y'all are NDA'd regarding processed audio ? I really wanted to support this release now Im having second thoughts.
+1000!

...the puzzle has been childish, the name is childish and these thread's getting childish too: it's just nearly 50 pages of... (NOTHING)

Dave maybe a nice guy, but he's constantly ignoring critical posts (like the one I cited) and focusing on people that praise his product (without any proof of the pudding).

So if his product is about to be released, why can't he just compare the plugin and the hardware and let us hear what he got? A video showing the plugin compared to hardware with different signals? (He may choose any system it runs on) I'm sure many potential customers would appreciate that!
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1283
Gear Maniac
 
aflon-telom's Avatar
 

I liked the puzzle. And the name. The thread as well. I must be unprofessional, according to all the marketing experts here.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1284
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krevvy View Post

I can't wait to demo this thing, and don't see the price an issue.
i dont like using percentages because lets face it, i dont know, you dont know, nor does anyone else know how close these plugins come, but these examples arent meant literally, just seems to be the best way to make a point.

If we already have the UAD plugin (which i got for $74 BTW) and Disto $24 to get us 90% of the way there, why would anyone spend $349 to get 92% there?

IMO-the price is only a NON issue if the plugin really brings a near spot on emulation to the table.

Its difficult unless you actually have both products, because people tend to compare a hardware sound that has passed thru conversion to a software sound that hasnt.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1285
Gear Nut
 
Saint Dominic's Avatar
The best compressor plugins I own are the UAD 1176 collection, the best hardware compressors I have, are the ones that come in the pair of RND Portico II Channels I own(AWESOME!!!) That's the standard that The Arousor has to beat, or at least match. If it can, then I have no problem forking out $349. YOLO!!!
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1286
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Dominic View Post
The best compressor plugins I own are the UAD 1176 collection, the best hardware compressors I have, are the ones that come in the pair of RND Portico II Channels I own(AWESOME!!!) That's the standard that The Arousor has to beat, or at least match. If it can, then I have no problem forking out $349. YOLO!!!
Dave's already said this is the best compressor plugin out there so, have no fear, the arouser will leave your 1176 emulations floundering in the dust.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1287
Gear Maniac
 
Nico@SunnySide's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
TNM & Nico - Thanks! And yep, the AROUSOR loves more than 10dB on vocals, or anything. It doesn't get worried til around 20dB of GR, and even then...

We directly modeled the whole Distressor Detector circuit, but went through and did the usual optimization for months to minimize CPU load. Sooo the response is super close, only we could "idealize" some things that bothered me in the HW, and expand the function of other things. You can totally expect the Distressor HW vibe, compression wise!

We are updating the website in the next couple days with AROUSOR information under the SOFTWARE menu. Sooo the latest information will be on there...errr... actually, the latest info will be here on Gearslutz. Ha. But there will be OFFICIAL INFORMATION on our Website, like all the feature details, and specs.
Thx for the info Dave, regarding Arousor vs hw this is exactly what I feared... ; now the name is out there, maybe start a new thread for folks interested in product info, upcoming demos, beta testers feedback & actual on-topic discussion?
And leave this thread to the moanslutz, seriously, looking 90 minutes at complaints - before a product is even demo'd or heard - for 5 minutes of info makes little sense.

I am not for any kind of one-upmanship, everybody at some point will be off topic or else, but is it that too much to ask that preceding a critic, opinion, discontent etc... 1 second is actually used thinking if the next thing to write contributes or belongs to the thread, knowing it will be read by other people?
If not, ok then just create your own thread of "I am outraged by the price of ...", "Can't stand this company's marketing behaviour", "I used the Arousor and now my pants hurt " etc....

In the end, whatever is said, bad publicity is still publicity and if the product is great, no amount of outpour of sourness, self-entitled righteousness or other critics and attempts of breaking the product down will have any effect. Zero. Look at Slate plugins, I was trying to follow up on some of their admittedly largely-delayed product launches, thinking while I was reading a few threads it sometimes looked like a public crucifiction. Well, 1000's of flaming comments or harsh - sometimes to-the-point - critics did not stop its commercial succes, or did it?

Ok, pardon my own moan-zone belonging, off topic remarks.

Now, Dave & Gil, where is that demo ?
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1288
Lives for gear
This thread is really amazing. The leavel of hype, and even more the level of hype re-inflation, is remarkable. I find the name embarrassing and the puzzle irritating and childish, but then I'm embarrassed to have my eleven year old daughter finding me reading a forum called "gearslutz." And call me shallow, I won't buy any IK products with the t-Rex logo, because they make me feel like a 13year old. "Grrrr, my mix will tear you apart!"

For me at least there comes a point where the hype stops feeling like fun and starts to feel like a carny act. I got fed up with sknote for the same reason. For ****s sake, either release it or don't. There starts to be a "dangling a carrot in front of the jackass" quality.

Meanwhile I just picked up the excellent BX-opto from plugin alliance for $49.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
So to clear it up a bit... changing the name before release after saying its a distressor plugin for months...
Quote:
How about some audio samples? Where are you beta testers ? Don't tell me y'all are NDA'd regarding processed audio?
The name was never changed, and no one from the company ever said it was a Distressor plug-in.

Beta testers may post processed audio (and we encourage them to do so)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber
Some practical questions:

Is it still iLok2 protected?
Yes.

Quote:
Will there be a fully featured demo?
Yes. This has been mentioned by me, and by Dave, several times. The demo will be a fully-functioning, 14-day trial Arousor plug-in.

Quote:
And WHEN?
No one wants to see this released more than Dave and I do, believe me. We had hoped to have it out this past Friday. But exactly because of your next question, it is not quite ready, but we expect it to be momentarily.

Quote:
Do you jump the bar? ...the user should experience a "BUG FREE" initial release.
I believe so, yes. This has been one of the most thoroughly tested plug-in projects I have ever witnessed. And it's Dave Derr, who is more nit-picky, anal-retentive, and minutia aware than any design engineer I know in this business. No initial software release is ever 100% bug-free, but this one is as close as it's going to get, hence the delay in releasing it.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #1290
Lives for gear
You've got the be kidding me. No opto mode and no Brit mode but yet costs $349. If this is true I don't see why anyone would want to pay that much. Those two modes are the biggest draw IMHO for the Distressor itself and then not have them included on this plugin loses my interest completely. I can use an 1176 plug in followed by a saturation plugin with some hi and low pass filtering before hand and get the same for less.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump