Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR - Page 158 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
You can fix that with the Detector SC EQ.
Thanks.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you guys, for helping me out.

After 30 minutes of demoing I finally got so exited about Arousor that I bought it. It sounds really good imo and got far more convincing and Distressor like sounds out of it as seen in any YT demonstration. I´m very glad about that one. I only wish for a re-sizable GUI. Sorry, I´m old, my eyes need it

Cheers
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Thank you guys, for helping me out.

After 30 minutes of demoing I finally got so exited about Arousor that I bought it. It sounds really good imo and got far more convincing and Distressor like sounds out of it as seen in any YT demonstration. I´m very glad about that one. I only wish for a re-sizable GUI. Sorry, I´m old, my eyes need it

Cheers
Solid purchase , one of the few plugin you will never regret putting money on lol
To get familiar with it , study compressors values like vari mu or others att and release values , ratio and sidechain curves ...and try to recreate those with arousor , it will train you well and make you do preset you will love
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Solid purchase , one of the few plugin you will never regret putting money on lol
To get familiar with it , study compressors values like vari mu or others att and release values , ratio and sidechain curves ...and try to recreate those with arousor , it will train you well and make you do preset you will love
Hey Jeezo, yeah, thanks. I admit it's blew me away. I didn't expect that phenomenal results after seeing the videos and listening to some demos. I'm completely surprise in a positive way. Cheers
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Thank you for clarifying. Yes that mirrors my exact impression I got from the many demos. But I wasn't sure it's just a lack of tweaking.

Unfortunately the UAD version isn't available as native VST version.

The Arouser gets a lot of praise but I think it's so far from the hardware :(
I'm not sure if I want to spent 120 bucks now in sales just for having another versatile (iLoked) compressor, when I'm originally aiming for the typical Distressor sound, especially for its behavoir.

The video from MixbusTV is very revealing in that regard and shows that the plugin has its weaknesses. Can't say that from the UAD version.

Has any one of you another perspective on the Arouser, in particular in comparison to the Distressor? Thanks again
But be careful when comparing the Arousor to the Distressor HW (include plugins). That is the developer is not trying to make it a 1:1 emulation to the Distressor.

Take the Arousor as an inspired version of the HW, with a different feature set.

For me, owning the Arousor and the UAD Distressor is not redundant, as the Arousor can do stuff the UAD Distressor plugin or the HW just can't. like the much advanced SC control, the Attack mod and the controllable THD....etc.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
But be careful when comparing the Arousor to the Distressor HW (include plugins). That is the developer is not trying to make it a 1:1 emulation to the Distressor.

Take the Arousor as an inspired version of the HW, with a different feature set.

For me, owning the Arousor and the UAD Distressor is not redundant, as the Arousor can do stuff the UAD Distressor plugin or the HW just can't. like the much advanced SC control, the Attack mod and the controllable THD....etc.
I already discovered the great sounding engine. it's a joy.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
Software Sale

CLICK HERE
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-black-friday-2020-volusion-banne-2x.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-black-friday-2020-volusion-banne-2x.jpg  
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
Bought both, incredible plugins! Good addition to the real thing and three other emulations

Thank you, Dave!
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
unr
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
would love to demo this, but servers are so slow it even stops the download.
mostly below 30kb/s

Anyone got a alternative link to download?

Edit:
Now it got better, around 1mb/s and finally finished the DL.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
these are both ilok2 right - no computer/cloud activation?
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think they're Ilok 3. No computer or cloud option, dongle only, just checked.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
iLok 2 and iLok 3... Dongle only.
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
oh well probably a good thing lol...I just purchased Melda MTurbocomp LE and it has quite a nice Stressor 'model'...
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
oh well probably a good thing lol...I just purchased Melda MTurbocomp LE and it has quite a nice Stressor 'model'...
I can't speak to the Melda. I can only tell you that I've owned nearly every great compressor plugin out there, got Softube and Slate and Plugin Alliance subscriptions, Sonnox and FabFilter and Klanghelm and on and on and on ...

... and Arousor might be the best digital compressor ever made. Don't deprive yourself.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
I can't speak to the Melda. I can only tell you that I've owned nearly every great compressor plugin out there, got Softube and Slate and Plugin Alliance subscriptions, Sonnox and FabFilter and Klanghelm and on and on and on ...

... and Arousor might be the best digital compressor ever made. Don't deprive yourself.
I concur, my “go to” since it’s launch, sometimes you have to tweak a bit to find the sweetspot on certain material, but it never fails.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post

Melda MTurbocomp is a tweakers heaven and especially if you like to get unusual results it's fantastic. The MStressor module is good but when audio volume is cranked up and compared side by side, the Aroudor starting to show its real power and leaves the MStressor far far behind. It simply can't cope here. Don't get me wrong. It's really good if used in a certain range but at a certain threshold it gets out of breath, falls apart and weakens the sound strongly. Whereas the Arouser has a constant grab and weight to it without losing its character, even in extreme settings. I compared both level matched, side by side. The more extreme you go (what some love a Distressor for) the more obvious the differences are getting.

In general the Meldas MStress isn't as weighty, tight and precise, especially in the low end as the Arousor imo.

If you - on the other hand - are looking for an extreme versatile and tweakable to the max compressor, you can't go wrong with MTurboCompressor. It mimics the action of the "emulated" comps quite good and gives huge variety of different results in no time as you can switch through the models. Those are not real emulations. It's a reproduction with the MTComps core engine and it's different detector algos and curves which work in the background. You can enter those and tweak everything by hand. Has 4 detectors, a curve editor, 2 very good saturators sections, EQs and a general toolset you won't find in no other software compressor. Cheers
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Bought Arousor at last! 2 factors played their role - good discount and Dave’s announcement of rev 3 soon release. Will we see this update in this year? Will it be free?
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsykhra View Post
Bought Arousor at last! 2 factors played their role - good discount and Dave’s announcement of rev 3 soon release. Will we see this update in this year? Will it be free?
Yes, confirmed free. Beta was announced a month ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In Rev 3, let's hope for the same GUI size as BigFrEQ... in addition the whatever is added and/or updated
Gear Head

Also hoping the new version gives more iLok options. Aroused is the last plugin I have that needs the USB stick (Slate finally updated Trigger)
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
unr
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
In Rev 3, let's hope for the same GUI size as BigFrEQ... in addition the whatever is added and/or updated
That's what immediately came to my mind. I think it's more needed in Arousor than in BigFrEQ (although nice to have there, too, when moving to a higher native resolution, but I'm not using it currently on 1080p)
In Arousor, especially with added controls the default size would be great to have at +20% or so.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
That's what immediately came to my mind. I think it's more needed in Arousor than in BigFrEQ (although nice to have there, too, when moving to a higher native resolution, but I'm not using it currently on 1080p)
In Arousor, especially with added controls the default size would be great to have at +20% or so.
Seconded or "thirded" I guess...

Very small on my monitor making me have to stand up towards the screen at times lol. But the quality is worth it. My favourite compressor purchase and I have many.
DEA
Gear Nut

Quote:
YES Please!

I would like to fourth and fifth this
Old 15th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hello Dave! Any updates on Rev3?
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
Rev 3 Testing

Gang

Sorry been tucked away, here. We have decided to make yet another change to OPTO GUI operation after the last Alpha/Beta Testing. Not a difficult change though, but still, another couple weeks went by! I'm expecting to back in Beta by the weekend. If this goes well, we will tweak, and expand the Beta. It has taken forever, but I look forward to your reaction with some of the new Features. Again, there is no upgrade cost to current owners.

I had a question. Have any of you ever automated a Ratio change in the middle of a track? IE Changed Ratio 3:1 to 4:1 with automation? I expect it to be uncommon.

Will be updating you on Rev 3... and working hard for it.

Be Well!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've definitely automated threshold, and output gain but never ratio, personally speaking. It's wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't. Can't wait for V3!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Gang

Sorry been tucked away, here. We have decided to make yet another change to OPTO GUI operation after the last Alpha/Beta Testing. Not a difficult change though, but still, another couple weeks went by! I'm expecting to back in Beta by the weekend. If this goes well, we will tweak, and expand the Beta. It has taken forever, but I look forward to your reaction with some of the new Features. Again, there is no upgrade cost to current owners.

I had a question. Have any of you ever automated a Ratio change in the middle of a track? IE Changed Ratio 3:1 to 4:1 with automation? I expect it to be uncommon.

Be Well!
I suppose any sane human being would create a new track for extreme changes within one source.
Subtle changes like ratio 3 to 4 automated? I can not imagine ever doing this personally.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Gang

Be Well!
I have. Drummer had used a separate snare in the choruses and I had a light 4:1 going over the drum bus. Even with light compression, the chorus snare was getting too splatty. I first tried to fix it with an input/output automation move but matching the level was taking too much time so I just kicked the ratio down to 2:1. Problem solved, easy peasy. If I'm not mistaken, the knee was slightly different, but it worked so I wasn't mad.

That was the only time I did that. I would call it uncommon but not completely unlikely.

Some of the PA plugins have a "headroom" knob that comes in real handy in situations like this. It's like adding a threshold knob to comp that doesn't have one. It's in the "expert" dropdown tray so it isn't something you reach for first. Therefore, I don't feel like it strays from the original design philosophy too much. I'm not saying Arouser needs this, but I just thought I'd throw that out there as an alternative method I use in this sitch with other plugins.
Old 15th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I’ve done it on vocals before. It’s nice to have the ability and would seem strange if it wasn’t an option.
Old 15th December 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm curious what the cost is, does it eat up more CPU cycles or something to have that feature?
📝 Reply