Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR - Page 157 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 18th October 2020
Lives for gear
Looking forward to this Dave!! You’re a champ and I love reading your posts.
Old 18th October 2020
Gear Addict
Awesome
Old 18th October 2020
Gear Addict

Die hard? Back with a vengance? Bigger than ever before?

Lube your ears with excitement - Arousderr v3 - they have it coming.
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Opto will be a nice addition.
Old 18th October 2020
Lives for gear

Excited about the opto knowing how much effort you've put into it!
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
Bob! How have you been holding up under this Pandemic? Its been very strange personally for me, but with folks having time to record at home, our business has been really great. Mixed feelings as part of me feels like we are benefiting from a horrible situation but, our employees have job security in a time when so many do not. In fact we have hired two more folks. Wishing you the Covid Best.
I'm hangin' in here. Haven't done an attended mastering session in years so it isn't too crazy working from home. My wife and I are both pretty vulnerable health-wise, so we're locked down except for grocery runs. Zoom and Skype have allowed us to contact people we haven't seen in decades. We've also heard more regularly from our kids which is nice.
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Bob, sounds like your making the best of it while staying safe. I have not been to a store except the 7-11 next door, and have been getting lots of stuff delivered... even groceries. Same here with Zoom and Skype. Can you imagine if this happened 10 years ago without the video conferencing software and BW?
You're reminding me I need to reach out to a few family members I have not talked to in over a month. Lets get to the other side of this and resume life as normal, dammit! Best Wishes to You and Yours BOB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I'm hangin' in here. Haven't done an attended mastering session in years so it isn't too crazy working from home. My wife and I are both pretty vulnerable health-wise, so we're locked down except for grocery runs. Zoom and Skype have allowed us to contact people we haven't seen in decades. We've also heard more regularly from our kids which is nice.
Lives for gear

Dear Dave,

Still loving arouser, using it as my default comp in pro tools since it's release, it's fantastic.

Just popping up on this thread to once again polity ask you to consider adding a option to inversely link the input and output gain via a modifier key.

Don't call it auto-gain or anything, so no-one can complain that it doesn't produce perfect unity. Would just be a nice ergonomic tweak IMO.

Pretty pretty please...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
Just popping up on this thread to once again polity ask you to consider adding a option to inversely link the input and output gain via a modifier key.

Don't call it auto-gain or anything, so no-one can complain that it doesn't produce perfect unity. Would just be a nice ergonomic tweak IMO.
Yes, please add this! It’s just a little thing that would make this plugin that much easier to use.

Pulsar Mu for example has this with shift-drag inversely linking the input and output gains. In no way is it an auto gain, just a simple workflow enhancement that I use every single time.
Old 19th October 2020
Lives for gear

+1
Old 19th October 2020
Gear Guru

Yeah I think MJUC does that too, it's a nice feature.
Lives for gear

Slate 1176 does it also, so does Black Rooster Magnetite. Convenient!
Old 19th October 2020
Lives for gear

+1
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Can't wait for opto mode! How's that coming along?
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
Can't wait for opto mode! How's that coming along?
Pretty much done! There is a couple nice surprises with Opto. Working on tweaks for some other new features, and really excited to let this animal loose in public.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty much done! There is a couple nice surprises with Opto. Working on tweaks for some other new features, and really excited to let this animal loose in public.
Awesome! Thanks Dave!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
*Tents fingers and grins*
Gear Addict

Quote:
Bob! How have you been holding up under this Pandemic? Its been very strange personally for me, but with folks having time to record at home, our business has been really great. Mixed feelings as part of me feels like we are benefiting from a horrible situation but, our employees have job security in a time when so many do not. In fact we have hired two more folks. Wishing you the Covid Best.

REV 3 AROUSOR - SooOOoo WHERE THE HECK IS REV 3, you all Say!? It's right here on my computers. Yeah, i know its been a couple years, and some of you thought we were stalling, or making empty promises, but... we will be Beta Testing this baby within a week or so. When we start Beta Testing a Rev, that means it is imminent and has passed our in-house picky bastards standards. So get ready for some new tricks from a now, OLD DOG.

We had a breakthrough towards the end of summer that finally allowed control of critical time constants (added yet more time constants actually), and allowed more control of curves and Saturation characteristics. WE GOT OPTO!

Although we have a Brit that sounds really close, my detailed technical tests show discrepancies I don't like, so, no Brit quite yet. Alas, it is close and we are stubborn. If you knew the hours we have spent, you all would send us a sympathy card.

BUT, along with Opto, there are several other really great features, and I hope you guys love them. Stuff you aren't expecting, but are really useful and a lot of FUN. New Colors for sure.

And as promised, all the new features will be FREE to current owners. No one wishes this didn't take so long more than ME. But I am excited and cannot wait to get it into your hands... and into your MUSIC.

I will be updating on here this week, as we prepare for BETA. In the meantime, everyone stay safe, and get ready for a re-vitalized AROUSOR!

Cheers Mes Amis
Congrats! Please make it not require a hardware iLok. Would love to purchase if that is the case
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Stupid View Post
Congrats! Please make it not require a hardware iLok. Would love to purchase if that is the case
Just an aside, the Ilok is fine once you get up and running with it.
Who knows at some point Emperical labs may allow you to authorize
the arouser using the Ilok software but authorize it to your hard drive
so you don't have the Ilok dongle sticking out?
The Arouser is worth the little bit of Ilok hassle imo.
Happy recording to you!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Was this update ever released??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Nope not yet.
Old 6 days ago
DEA
Gear Head

Any chance of an Arousor Black Friday 2020 deal??
(Hope springing eternal and all that )
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post
Or a discount for BIG FrEQ owners?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Or a discount for BIG FrEQ owners?
Or how about a BF HW deal for those who have both native plugins
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi. A question for all the users, after seeing several videos about the Arouser.

Can the Arouser be tweaked to sound closer to a Distressor? Like the UAD Distressor for example? Which is convincingly close to the hardware. In comparison the Arouser always seems to be missing those final details, the hardware has.

Thank you.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Hi. A question for all the users, after seeing several videos about the Arouser.

Can the Arouser be tweaked to sound closer to a Distressor? Like the UAD Distressor for example? Which is convincingly close to the hardware. In comparison the Arouser always seems to be missing those final details, the hardware has.

Thank you.
For me, it's in the same ballpark but not identical. I have both and IMO the UAD version is the closest to the HW, especially the body and heaviness of the HW.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
For me, it's in the same ballpark but not identical. I have both and IMO the UAD version is the closest to the HW, especially the body and heaviness of the HW.
Thank you for clarifying. Yes that mirrors my exact impression I got from the many demos. But I wasn't sure it's just a lack of tweaking.

Unfortunately the UAD version isn't available as native VST version.

The Arouser gets a lot of praise but I think it's so far from the hardware :(
I'm not sure if I want to spent 120 bucks now in sales just for having another versatile (iLoked) compressor, when I'm originally aiming for the typical Distressor sound, especially for its behavoir.

The video from MixbusTV is very revealing in that regard and shows that the plugin has its weaknesses. Can't say that from the UAD version.

Has any one of you another perspective on the Arouser, in particular in comparison to the Distressor? Thanks again
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It has the same vibe. The Slate version sounds a bit closer to the original to me. I think.
I kind of prefer the hardware in general. But both hardware and Arousor and Slate all have the same thing in common; they basically almost always work.
They sound good whatever your setting is and they make things sound in your face.
I mostly use the Arousor because it's more flexible. I can dial back the distortion if needed and there's more to play around with for attack.

Huub

Edit; I mix broadcast and concert recordings. I often use the hardware because it's so effortlessly good.
I also use the Arousor (more often than the hardware). I like both.
If a distressor type compressor does not work for lead vocal I use the BX opto.

Last edited by huub; 4 days ago at 09:20 AM.. Reason: adding stuff
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
It has the same vibe. The Slate version sounds a bit closer to the original to me. I think.
I kind of prefer the hardware in general. But both hardware and Arousor and Slate all have the same thing in common; they basically almost always work.
They sound good whatever your setting is and they make things sound in your face.
I mostly use the Arousor because it's more flexible. I can dial back the distortion if needed and there's more to play around with for attack.

Huub
Thanks. That sounds good. What I recognize is that the Arouser weakens the punch of a kick and forces the snare more into the background, shaving off the transients. It can nicely pump and breathe but weakens the original audio when doing so. Especially kick, snare and percussion of a drum kit. Whereas the Distressor keeps the basic sound tight and upfront plus adding the iconic pumping and breathing.

I'm so uncertain if I want to spent so much money for a compromise.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Thanks. That sounds good. What I recognize is that the Arouser weakens the punch of a kick and forces the snare more into the background, shaving off the transients. It can nicely pump and breathe but weakens the original audio when doing so. Especially kick, snare and percussion of a drum kit. Whereas the Distressor keeps the basic sound tight and upfront plus adding the iconic pumping and breathing.

I'm so uncertain if I want to spent so much money for a compromise.
You can fix that with the Detector SC EQ.
📝 Reply