The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
Pic from NAMM 2020. An idol of mine for decades, Tom Lord-Alge was kind enough to bear with me as I asked about his latest projects, and favorite latest Plug-ins. He did an awesome demo about some of his drum triggering techniques... stuff you would never have imagined, but makes sense after seeing his explanation. Wish I could have gotten out of the booth like a normal attendee, and seen more of his illuminating talks. He loves his Arousors, and appears to be moving more and more into the box, but still a master of the SSL.

The pic was taken by another mix-maestro and sonic scientist, Tchad Blake, who just happened to walk up with camera. Both Tchad and Tom were busy giving presentations throughout the show. I only saw Diogo from Gearslutz, which was great, but usually several slutz come up and say hi during Namm. However... I was out of the booth a LOT for various meetings, so I may have missed some of you.

I urge folks to attend NAMM, as it is the biggest event in the states, and is just a noisy big party, with amazing musicians performing day and night. FUN!
We had the honor to have him do a masterclass at school here (AbbeyRoad paris) and this guy is just top in all aspect from human being to technical , ethic of work ect ... not a surprise , at a certain lebel we find more guyz like him , Andrew Scheps , Jack Joseph Puiig ect....

Anything new for our toy ?
Old 9th February 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Jeezo!

Good to see ya. I bet that was a great masterclass, having Tom show the zillions of tricks he has developed over the years. Was he teaching both in-the-box and out of the box hybrid techniques, or mostly SSL stuff? It's really illuminating hearing how top-line guys think and work.

One of the best things a striving engineer can do is become an assistant to folks on Tom's level. It will haul your ass up quick! Somewhere there is a video of one of the Lord-Alges talking about how Bob Clearmountain raised the bar for sonics in the early 80s, watching how Bob worked on SSLs in NYC, inspiring them, while he crafted one classic recording after another. They both say Bob was probably the reason they are where they are today.

We will have some Arousing News in March... and every Arousor owner will get the upgrades for free. In the meantime, we are fixing a bug or two that's cropped up on some new DAW releases, and getting notarized for Catalina compatibility. After testing that stuff, we will be Beta testing the new Rev with the new features. It's gonna be a good couple months for Arousor owners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
We had the honor to have him do a masterclass at school here (AbbeyRoad paris) and this guy is just top in all aspect from human being to technical , ethic of work ect ... not a surprise , at a certain lebel we find more guyz like him , Andrew Scheps , Jack Joseph Puiig ect....

Anything new for our toy ?
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Jeezo!

Good to see ya. I bet that was a great masterclass, having Tom show the zillions of tricks he has developed over the years. Was he teaching both in-the-box and out of the box hybrid techniques, or mostly SSL stuff? It's really illuminating hearing how top-line guys think and work.

One of the best things a striving engineer can do is become an assistant to folks on Tom's level. It will haul your ass up quick! Somewhere there is a video of one of the Lord-Alges talking about how Bob Clearmountain raised the bar for sonics in the early 80s, watching how Bob worked on SSLs in NYC, inspiring them, while he crafted one classic recording after another. They both say Bob was probably the reason they are where they are today.

We will have some Arousing News in March... and every Arousor owner will get the upgrades for free. In the meantime, we are fixing a bug or two that's cropped up on some new DAW releases, and getting notarized for Catalina compatibility. After testing that stuff, we will be Beta testing the new Rev with the new features. It's gonna be a good couple months for Arousor owners!
Here we go !!

You re absolutly right , one day i was speaking with my wife , telling here (even if i statrted in the late 80 and been platnum and gold , with quite some knowledge thks to hard work --- not flexing here at all-- ) i would serve coffee for free and go oversas fir 6 months in a seconde if i could be around JJP , Bob , Al Schmit ,michael brauer , Scheps ect ...

We have a saying that says "if he surpasses you by one night , he will surpasses you by one idea " (hard to translate that one lol even in french lol )

Those guyz are the true richess of our work and once they will be gone one by one ..man this woul'leave a fuking hole that very few would be able to close ...

Good news for the plugin can t wait to see what it will be ....
Old 10th February 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Wow, great interview. Got through most of it but gotta watch the rest tomorrow. Its so great to have these forums, groups and schools bringing in folks like Tom to share everything from big life events, to what frequency to pull out on a snare drum.

Tom mentions the importance of a mixer coming in with fresh ears, and not married to any particular part, which reminded me of the conversation at NAMM, about the importance of ruthlessly removing (muting) tracks from a mix. Folks like Tom are used to getting sessions with 100 tracks.

Thanks for posting that epic Video, Jeezo. Gotta watch the rest tomorrow!

Quote:
Here we go !!

You re absolutly right , one day i was speaking with my wife , telling here (even if i statrted in the late 80 and been platnum and gold , with quite some knowledge thks to hard work --- not flexing here at all-- ) i would serve coffee for free and go oversas fir 6 months in a seconde if i could be around JJP , Bob , Al Schmit ,michael brauer , Scheps ect ...

We have a saying that says "if he surpasses you by one night , he will surpasses you by one idea " (hard to translate that one lol even in french lol )

Those guyz are the true richess of our work and once they will be gone one by one ..man this woul'leave a fuking hole that very few would be able to close ...

Good news for the plugin can t wait to see what it will be ....
Old 10th February 2020
Motown legend

We stand on the shoulders of our mentors.
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow, great interview. Got through most of it but gotta watch the rest tomorrow. Its so great to have these forums, groups and schools bringing in folks like Tom to share everything from big life events, to what frequency to pull out on a snare drum.

Tom mentions the importance of a mixer coming in with fresh ears, and not married to any particular part, which reminded me of the conversation at NAMM, about the importance of ruthlessly removing (muting) tracks from a mix. Folks like Tom are used to getting sessions with 100 tracks.

Thanks for posting that epic Video, Jeezo. Gotta watch the rest tomorrow!
De nada Dave , we fortunate enougth to get the best coming by , i don t even know if the students realise how crazy for us it would have been just to catch one back then ...

When you gravitate around those guyz , you don t even realise how much you learn until years later lol crazy ....
Old 14th February 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Isn't this like a perfect Valentines Day present for anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-vd-day-aro-flash.jpg  
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isn't this like a perfect Valentines Day present for anyone?
Rock on
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Dave,

Love the Arouser. Any chance a future release will work with iLok Cloud? At this point Arouser is really the only plugin I am still using a iLok USB stick for on the reg... Sometimes this means I just reach for something else in my plugin folder if I am being lazy.
Old 21st February 2020
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflood View Post
Dave,

Love the Arouser. Any chance a future release will work with iLok Cloud? At this point Arouser is really the only plugin I am still using a iLok USB stick for on the reg... Sometimes this means I just reach for something else in my plugin folder if I am being lazy.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.styles View Post
+2
I was coming here to ask about machine authorization. Please give us options!
Old 25th February 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Computer based and Cloud based protection has gotten a lot better in the last few years, and we are going to prepare for supporting it. Still... at this time, iLok dongle based protection is still the strongest. But thank you for the encouragement and keep your eyes out. We will definitely let you know when we make a move towards computer or cloud based protection.

BTW, it looks like we may do a minor release to fix a few bugs that cropped up on Cubase and Logic, as well as support Catalina. Then a major release soon to follow.

Thanks for the patience as we do the little fixes to keep the Arousor working with OS and DAW revisions. Everyone's been jumping through some hoops in the last year, but hopefully most of the updates that break plug-ins is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflood View Post
Dave,

Old 25th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Computer based and Cloud based protection has gotten a lot better in the last few years, and we are going to prepare for supporting it. Still... at this time, iLok dongle based protection is still the strongest. But thank you for the encouragement and keep your eyes out. We will definitely let you know when we make a move towards computer or cloud based protection.

BTW, it looks like we may do a minor release to fix a few bugs that cropped up on Cubase and Logic, as well as support Catalina. Then a major release soon to follow.

Thanks for the patience as we do the little fixes to keep the Arousor working with OS and DAW revisions. Everyone's been jumping through some hoops in the last year, but hopefully most of the updates that break plug-ins is over.
Dave , i have a bug going on , when controlling it with a controller , knobs moves but values don t change on plugin ..

Windows 8.1 studio one and cubase .
Old 25th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thanks Dave for the great personal communication on your products. I realize now I was thinking computer-based iLok authorization, although I am sure there are many that use the Cloud-based as well. Looking forward to what you have coming down the pike!
Old 27th February 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Jeezo, we have seen a similar issue before. Let me gather some information in a PM and we will get it sorted out.

You can also report issues to [email protected], in the future, if convenient. Thanks for taking the time to state this issue.

Quote:
Dave , i have a bug going on , when controlling it with a controller , knobs moves but values don t change on plugin ..

Windows 8.1 studio one and cubase .
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Jeezo, we have seen a similar issue before. Let me gather some information in a PM and we will get it sorted out.

You can also report issues to [email protected], in the future, if convenient. Thanks for taking the time to state this issue.
Updating to 2.2.1 solved the issue ....

ALL GOOD

guyz be sure to update ////.
Old 1 week ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quarantine Times

Hey Friends

What a crazy time, eh? Much of the world has come to screeching crawl, and the music industry has been hit really hard, especially all our friends who rely on live gigs. So many frightened folks, not knowing when the Corona Virus Pandemic will end, nor if they will still have work, or even a place to live when it does. And some will lose loved ones and friends to this crazy virus. Heaven forbid.

As we have only had 3 employees at the factory this week, and will have more time on my hands, I will be posting some here as it is a bit overdue. It's a time to do stuff we have been putting off because of our jobs, routines, and life in general... which all probably just took a sharp turn.

In the meantime, please follow the recommended measures and quarantine rules. This thing will run out of steam much quicker. I will be back over the weekend to post more updates and trivia.

Best Luck and Wishes to You, Gearslutz
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Hey Friends

What a crazy time, eh? Much of the world has come to screeching crawl, and the music industry has been hit really hard, especially all our friends who rely on live gigs. So many frightened folks, not knowing when the Corona Virus Pandemic will end, nor if they will still have work, or even a place to live when it does. And some will lose loved ones and friends to this crazy virus. Heaven forbid.

As we have only had 3 employees at the factory this week, and will have more time on my hands, I will be posting some here as it is a bit overdue. It's a time to do stuff we have been putting off because of our jobs, routines, and life in general... which all probably just took a sharp turn.

In the meantime, please follow the recommended measures and quarantine rules. This thing will run out of steam much quicker. I will be back over the weekend to post more updates and trivia.

Best Luck and Wishes to You, Gearslutz
Best wishes to you and yours too Dave, and everyone else here. Stay safe!
Old 1 week ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Self Improvement Time

Tis me

New Jersey has now enacted a state wide "lockdown", asking everyone to stay in their homes except for critical needs. Certain folks can go to work under certain conditions. Never in my life....

ELI is lucky to have some caring and motivated employees, and in the last week, several employees have been provided with parts and tools to take home and continue production. Very proud of and happy to have these folks working for us. It's mostly Distressor production stuff, as that is still our biggest seller, and may keep the wolves (debt) away. But I'll tell you, thousands of companies may not be so lucky. Prepare yourselves for a few tough years, my friends. And make the best of it.

In the spirit of turning lemons into Marguaritas, perhaps we can share some tricks, info, and general things to improve ourselves over the next few weeks. Even movies and music that changed us.

Let me start with some random audio related trivia:

*) Sound travels very close to a foot a millisecond. If you are 8 feet from your guitar amp, the sound is delayed 8mS.
*) A typical converter at 48KHz FS, takes a little over 1.1mS to convert, both Dac and ADC. So to go straight through ADC out the DAC, is about 2.3mS or so. Your converter may differ. With the speed of sound, this would equate to being about 2.3 Feet from a source in equivalent Delay.
*) Most singers cannot hear this in headphones. A few can, but usually can adapt. And when you consider some singers like to sing in the control room, they are likely farther than 6 feet from the speakers... so they get a 6mS delay.
*) A good live digital console, often has a delay of 3mS, or more, and that is usually working at a higher sample rate, like 96K. So a live digital monitor system will start with that, and go up, even in In-Ear monitors. Most folks are ok with this.
*) Lastly in the delay category, to determine timed delays during mixing, you find the quarter note delay by dividing 60,000 by the Tempo. 60,000 is how many milliseconds are in a minute. So at a tempo of 120BPM, a quarter note is 60,000/120, or 500mS. An 8th note would be half that or 250mS.

Lots of you folks know this stuff, but it's worth reviewing some references. I'll be back to bore you with more tech trivia, and possible things I've heard folks doing to improve themselves during this absurd quarantining time.

BTW, today's drink special is the Quarantini. It's a regular Martini but you drink it alone in your house.

Be Safe People!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I am distressed but not by Distressors.. my drink here has also been quarantinis. I recommend the series Better Caul Saul, it hits some really high notes, almost Shakespearean. Also the John Coltrane and Miles Davis documentaries are both top shelf watching.
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

The problem with digital latency is comb filtering in headphones and not the delay. The only real solution is analog headphone monitoring or simply using speakers. With speakers, vocals get recorded much faster and with much better performances.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The problem with digital latency is comb filtering in headphones and not the delay. The only real solution is analog headphone monitoring or simply using speakers. With speakers, vocals get recorded much faster and with much better performances.
This is true for me. With some microphones, the head voice (bone conduction to ears) phases badly with the headphone audio if there is a delay, even a small one. Screwing around with phase scramblers and polarity flips can work somewhat, but it's even better to eliminate the latency completely.

I'm really glad I set up a hardware monitoring chain, I use it for other things too. Use it all the time now.
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

How I learned about this was a friend who had changed his Pro Tools rig and found his client was taking twice as long to record vocals than a couple of days earlier using the old rig using the same settings. He put the old card back in and the production speed was restored. Nobody had heard anything different so he inquired about the differences in the cards, It turned out the new one had a couple of milliseconds greater latency. The interference happens long before the latency becomes noticeable.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Any tips on recording vocals using speakers? (Distance, placement, volume..?, mic type..) My wife is really sensitive to headphones and never performs her best using them.
Old 1 week ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
Any tips on recording vocals using speakers? (Distance, placement, volume..?, mic type..) My wife is really sensitive to headphones and never performs her best using them.
kuulart, she is not alone. Headphones present huge frequency response, with many frequencies obscuring the vocals, and sometimes interacting with bone conduction of the singers voice within their head. This can make it hard to hear pitch... and singing in tune.

One well known trick is to slide one side of the headphones off of one ear, so the live voice is heard outside the phones.

When singing with speakers, here are a few tips:

*) Keep the speaker volume as low as possible, for a bunch of reasons. Mic is usually 7 - 12 Feet from speakers.
*) Use a mic with a tight cardoid pattern that rejects the rear, the side facing the speakers.
*) You can often keep the vocal being sung completely out of the speakers, especially if they are at a low volume.
*) Roll off low end in the Speakers so it does not rumble into the mic, and again, confuse pitch. Singing to the midrange instruments makes it easier to sing in tune. Or use small speakers with little low end.

Bono of U2 often sang to speakers and so many of his vocals were recorded with a cheap ol' Shure SM58. It has a very tight cardoid pattern for rear rejection.

Finally, when the engineer or producer listens back to a vocal take, a tiny mono speaker, or a severely limited the bandwidth will really help reveal pitch problems. Removing most stuff below 180Hz will lay bare "pitchiness", along with listening at a really low volume. This was part of the charm of Auratones and old tape deck mono monitoring speakers. And NOW... listening on your tiny smart phone speakers is super revealing. A very handy vocal production tool, right in your pocket.

Back to work in Quarantine!
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

I never found small speakers to make that much difference. You do need to be close enough to the speakers that the bleed is clean. A great trick is to run one take with the singer silent in front of the mike. Then you mix it in with the phase flipped to cancel the bleed. What's funny is people using a delay to emulate what they don't realize is bleed. Headphones didn't become common in studios until the late '60s. We were pioneers in the mid-'60s at Motown.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
I like to record the first pass using the previously mentioned techniques as appropriate, then, record a double (if there is to be one in the track) or simply a “blank” track of playback only with the mic path polarity reversed. This will cancel most of the incoming signal provided you’re not compressing heavily and the mic hasnt moved. Just be sure to mute reverbs and modulation fx, and don’t include playback of anything that won’t be in the final arrangement.
Old 2 days ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quarantine & AROUSOR update

bgrotto - Good advice. Honestly, I tried to avoid having singers record to speakers, but when I did, I usually found a gate could get rid of unwanted bleed between the lyrics. I had a Neumann TLM 170 I often used for vocals, and would set it to the tight cardoid pattern, but sheesh, it would pick up all kinds of sub leakage. Had to roll off the speakers at 80Hz or above. The mic could feedback below those freqs, if loud. Crazy response. Subs go everywhere. On folks with airy vocals, IE not too many harsh mids, the AKG 414 could be used with its hyper-cardoid pattern. But I bet i did less than a dozen tunes where the singer sang without headphones... in my limited recording career.

AROUSOR UPDATE

We are going to do one more minor update before Rev 3. There were some lingering bugs on some DAWs like Cubase and Logic, and it will be Catalina compliant. The Arousor was on some major tours on AVIDs S6Ls, and had some time-consuming fixes to do there also. We streamlined a few things and hope the Alpha testing may show a bit of overall performance improvement on all formats. We will be alpha testing next week, then have a few weeks of Beta testing. This fixed up minor release should be expected next month, May.

THEN REV 3 finally. I apologize again for the crazy delays and minor updates, but with all the changes in OS's and iLok protection, we really needed to get everything working properly before we go for the new features in Rev 3, a major revision.

Keep your eyes out for news on our Website, but I promise to notify you of the next release, as well as the fun stuff coming for Arousor users, New and Old.

www.EmpiricalLabs.com
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Nut
Did Arousor stop working for everybody or is it just me? I suddenly encountered problems with the pesky iLok activation. It says I need to enter an activation code but I've bought/used this for a long time now and it was working 2 days ago without any issues.

Really hoping ditching iLok is in Arousor's roadmap. I absolutely love this plugin but I'm always running into iLok issues.

Edit: This is not related to the update. I was using the same version of the plugin 2 days ago and now it won't load because of iLok
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Nut
Edit: It was already activated and working 2 days ago. iLok's support spins you in circles with knowledge articles. My account in EL shows the receipt but not the activation code. I'd be fine with buying Arousor again if it means I don't have to use this damn iLok. I saw the activation code in the iLok software that I had to reinstall, and it didn't work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search