The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 4 weeks ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Logic problem

Shaggy, it looks like it is totally an iLok PACE problem. We got this explanation and process from PACE today. For some reason, it looks like you have to UNINSTALL the old iLok Manager before installing the new one. WEIRD NOTE: They also say you have to uninstall Virus protection! But I suspect you can just disable it during the iLok Manager update process. Here is their exact wording:
=====================
<iLok Customer>

All that is needed to resolve this case is a synchronize of the iLok with the latest version of License Support installed. The following text is the information we have provided to the few users who have experienced this message when working with an iLok:

----
You may be seeing this because of an issue with the current installation of the iLok License Manager on your computer. Please perform a fresh install of the latest version of the iLok License Manager. The latest version of the iLok License Manager is available for download from the iLok License Manager tab on iLok.com.

To perform a fresh install, you will need to uninstall the current iLok License Manager from your computer.

The first step is to download a fresh copy of the installer from iLok.com, making sure you delete any old copies of this installer that may also be in your Downloads folder.

On a Mac, please use the "Uninstall License Support” script included in the License Support/iLok License Manager installer to uninstall.

*** IMPORTANT ***
Make sure to uninstall all anti-virus and security file-monitoring software (i.e. AVG, Avast, McAfee, Norton, etc.) before continuing with installation. These product are known to interfere with the installation and operation of our components.

After uninstalling the current version of iLok License Manager reboot the system and then run the newly downloaded iLok License Manager installer.

With the latest version of iLok License Manager installed, plug in your iLoks and perform a synchronize operation on the affected iLoks one at a time. To perform a synchronize, double-click an iLok to open its detail pane and click the "Synchronize" link. A synchronize may also be performed by right-clicking the iLok and then choosing "Synchronize" from the pop-up menu.

If you are still experiencing the issue after performing the steps above, please reply to this email with a screenshot of any error message(s) received. If you do now know how to take a screenshot, please visit the following website: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org
----

If after following the above information successfully the behavior persists, then there is an issue with the iLok. That iLok would need to be replaced. To begin the RMA process, the user would need to go to iLok.com, sign in, go to Support, then click the "Submit an RMA" link in the bottom right corner.

<https://www.ilok.com/#!rma>
Old 3 weeks ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

profvonsok

Yes we are updating the Preset sharing page, and hope to have it back up quickly. We will re-envision it soon also, to make it more friendly. Let me see if we can get something working in the next few days. Sorry for your inconvenience.

BM Grabber - It sounds like you are working again on Cubase. Pace has done a lot of updating and as is common, things often temporarily break on first software re-works. Hope everyone is back to working normally. Crazy amounts of updates breaking things lately, right?

Back to work here. We are having a crazy cold spell here. 22 degrees currently, and someone said it broke some record in NJ. And during the summer we broke several heat records, with many lakes having harmful algae blooms (HABs). Crazy weather.

Cheers friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
I get the following message when I click on Arousor preset sharing at the empiricallabs www site:
Disabled forum

This forum is currently disabled.

If you are the owner, please login to your Website Toolbox account for more information. Thank you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
profvonsok

Yes we are updating the Preset sharing page, and hope to have it back up quickly. We will re-envision it soon also, to make it more friendly. Let me see if we can get something working in the next few days. Sorry for your inconvenience.

BM Grabber - It sounds like you are working again on Cubase. Pace has done a lot of updating and as is common, things often temporarily break on first software re-works. Hope everyone is back to working normally. Crazy amounts of updates breaking things lately, right?

Back to work here. We are having a crazy cold spell here. 22 degrees currently, and someone said it broke some record in NJ. And during the summer we broke several heat records, with many lakes having harmful algae blooms (HABs). Crazy weather.

Cheers friends!
Sorry to pester Dave I know you're busy - could you have a quick gander at the question (about distressor/arousor vocal compression) higher up on this page?

Post 4473...

Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 3 weeks ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Distressor Vocal Setting

b0se

The Distressor Vocal settings will translate extremely well to the Arousor, but you would use the 8:1 ratio instead, as the ratios on the Arousor are one step up. IE 6:1 on the Distressor equals 8:1 on the Arousor.

Arousor equivalent Vocal setting:

Ratio 8:1, Attack on 5- 6, release 3 - 5. Don't over do it by letting the compressor work all the time. Six dB of gain reduction should be totally invisible.

And actually, if you are mixing, you can use a lot more compression without hearing it. But the Distressor setting was conservative for tracking purposes. NOTE: Although it does not sound like it, 6dB is actually doubling the voltage swing, or half-ing it when compressing. Our ears are non-linear which is why we invented decibels. But the feedback topology and the nice knee make both the Arousor and the Distressor super smooth.

Many of today's pop vocals may have 20dB or more of compression on peaks. Over time, your ears will get tuned to compression, and what is hearable, and what is not. Often, top mix guys will go in and take out breaths and SS's as they cue you to compression, sounding unnatural if left in and un-treated. They will often start a mixdown by editing the lead vocal to get rid of breaths, fricatives, and ss's, as they know they become problems as compression is added. I talked to a big mix hero recently and he said they spent a couple hours editing out those things on a recent hit he mixed. And touched up even more as the mix progressed.

Happy Arousin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Hey Dave, I stumbled on this quote and (having not used a Distressor) it made me wonder; are these settings mirrored/applicable to Arousor?

I already use it for taming peaks before passing to Brighton for the levelling, but if I recall correctly I'm using 4:1 and a faster attack. If you recommend these for Arousor also I'd like to do some comparisons.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
b0se

The Distressor Vocal settings will translate extremely well to the Arousor, but you would use the 8:1 ratio instead, as the ratios on the Arousor are one step up. IE 6:1 on the Distressor equals 8:1 on the Arousor.

Arousor equivalent Vocal setting:

Ratio 8:1, Attack on 5- 6, release 3 - 5. Don't over do it by letting the compressor work all the time. Six dB of gain reduction should be totally invisible.

And actually, if you are mixing, you can use a lot more compression without hearing it. But the Distressor setting was conservative for tracking purposes. NOTE: Although it does not sound like it, 6dB is actually doubling the voltage swing, or half-ing it when compressing. Our ears are non-linear which is why we invented decibels. But the feedback topology and the nice knee make both the Arousor and the Distressor super smooth.

Many of today's pop vocals may have 20dB or more of compression on peaks. Over time, your ears will get tuned to compression, and what is hearable, and what is not. Often, top mix guys will go in and take out breaths and SS's as they cue you to compression, sounding unnatural if left in and un-treated. They will often start a mixdown by editing the lead vocal to get rid of breaths, fricatives, and ss's, as they know they become problems as compression is added. I talked to a big mix hero recently and he said they spent a couple hours editing out those things on a recent hit he mixed. And touched up even more as the mix progressed.

Happy Arousin'!
Ah, I'd forgotten about the ratios being a step up! I'll get setup to track with 6dB peak reduction.

Cheers Dave.
Old 3 weeks ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

b0se

May I ask what Daw and hardware you are using to track? The throughput delay often messes with singers heads. It can be over 2mS unless you have an S6 or similar system, or are using a higher sampling rate than 48K. OR, have an analog side monitoring system. Sorry if I am being a bit nosy, but it runs in the family.
Quote:
Ah, I'd forgotten about the ratios being a step up! I'll get setup to track with 6dB peak reduction.

Cheers Dave.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
b0se

May I ask what Daw and hardware you are using to track? The throughput delay often messes with singers heads. It can be over 2mS unless you have an S6 or similar system, or are using a higher sampling rate than 48K. OR, have an analog side monitoring system. Sorry if I am being a bit nosy, but it runs in the family.
Hi Dave,

Reaper @ 96K, LIO-8 3D. Just my own vocals, so I'll be using it during mixing most of the time.
Old 1 week ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Working at 96K is a great sample rate when your system can afford it. Very little delay. Probably under a millisecond. That's like singing to monitors a foot away from your mic. Sound travels about a foot a millisecond. I doubt the delay would bother even the most discernible ears. And the Soft Clipping in the Arousor is so smooth with almost no aliasing, making it super analog sounding. Lots of things get much better at 96K.

George Massenburg told me he has had some great singers have problems with monitoring through the converters while singing at 48K. In the early days of digital, he had to set up an analog side-monitoring system for Linda Ronstadt as she could hear the delay and it threw her off, even though it was probably under a 2mS delay. Headphones can exaggerate problems and do cancellation weirdness with the sound coming through your head. I am sure most of you have encountered the singer who slides one side of the headphones behind one ear so they can hear their live voice. It often helps with pitch.

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Reaper @ 96K, LIO-8 3D. Just my own vocals, so I'll be using it during mixing most of the time.
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

Converters screw up performances long before latency becomes noticeable because of comb filtering. The only solution that I know of is an analog headphone system or just using speakers.

Almost nobody used headphones for records before the late '60s and nobody really needed to ten years later unless they insisted on using a click. I've honestly never heard anybody whose performance didn't improve by not using headphones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search