The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 10th August 2019
  #4411
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I've never had a problem loading Arousor, in fact I don't think I've ever consciously noticed it being any slower than what I'm used to.
Old 10th August 2019
  #4412
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I didn't spot that during the beta but I'm on Mac so probably it's a Windows problem. I've been running it on Nuendo 10 for a couple of months I can't see that.
Here on a MacBook retina display, I can clearly see the black box. Actually, it's pretty hard that it's not apparent in any screen.

Otherwise, the GUI is nicer.
Old 11th August 2019
  #4413
The Distressor's "daddy"
 
Dave Derr's Avatar
 

wo1 - Thank you for posting your videos. Very helpful. On our systems here, it is quite a bit faster to open the GUI. When we looked at the timing on your vids, we found the Mac was around 1 sec, but you Windows system seemed just a tad faster. We can definitely look into mechanisms that may be slowing it up. We all like speed and efficiency!

Oops, looks like a partial blackout here. Let me see whats up with the power on our street. At least I'm on a charged laptop. Wierd one. Looks like we lost one leg of power as it measures 62 volts. Be back in a bit.

Ok, the power is back. I was actually surprised our internet still worked at 62 volts. Switching supplies have gotten gooOOoood. Noisy but forgiving. We updated some of our products with switching supplies, but have to use a proprietary circuit to quiet them the heck down. But they run cool and work with line voltages up to 25% low.

Anyway... We will start looking into what we can do to get the GUI to open under a second, and also work on getting rid of the text background discontinuity. On my older MAC, it is quite hard to see the black outline box, even if you stare close, but I do NOT anticipate a problem eliminating that. My thoughts are to keep the Red Text though in Bypass, as it is a visual cue about that text, IE This is special text and it will function as a toggle switch to bypass. And instead of graying a bypassed section out, what do you think about bringing up some x-rated video in the bypassed sections? Ok sorry... I will probably regret that. But perhaps in the future we can do something obvious, but prettier. Our GUI will be evolving for at least another year or two, maybe more. And we may do an interim minor Rev in the next month or two.

RitchieBorg, glad you liked the new knobs, but we aren't done with them yet. The current 2.2 ones are rendered as opposed to photographic. This means we can go crazy with stuff... and already are for future revs.

I'm taking notes of your suggestions as always. We know this rev was not as dramatic as any of us would like, but there were some difficult behind-the-scene changes that aren't visible, and it was important we get them rock solid so future revisions work smoothly and perhaps just as efficiently, even with some serious new controls and features. We bragged about not adding any switches or knobs, because future revs WILL be adding them. Simplicity and interface stability are super important to staying user friendly.

Last edited by Dave Derr; 3 weeks ago at 07:26 AM..
Old 11th August 2019
  #4414
Gear Maniac
 
M Albazy's Avatar
@ Dave Derr

Is it possible to have a link on/off for the input/ouput? So the more input you add it's subtracted at the same time from the output and vice-versa.
Old 11th August 2019
  #4415
The Distressor's "daddy"
 
Dave Derr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
@ Dave Derr

Is it possible to have a link on/off for the input/ouput? So the more input you add it's subtracted at the same time from the output and vice-versa.
M Albazy, from an earlier post:

"With any ratio above 3:1, the output really will NOT significantly increase with a typical increase of input level, as the nature of the knee and feedback topology really kind of "lock the output level" on the Arousor.

It is also kind of impossible to predict where a level will be on a Feedback compressor, in general. Often, folks keep the bypassed apparent level the same as the apparent compressed level, which is pretty darned easy to do. Just use the output level to match the bypassed level."

We have tried to manually experiment with some I/O Control law that compensates the output when the input is changed, and honestly, it worked so poorly and inconsistently, that it was quickly put aside. If you have a compressor that really doesn't GRAB and nail a signal in place, you may have a better chance. But as many of you know, "nailing in place" is a big part of what the Arousor does.

You might try experimenting yourself. Any number of parameters radically affect the I/O transfer function, often affecting the output MORE than adjusting the Input level, once you are actually doing some compression.
Old 11th August 2019
  #4416
Lives for gear
 

Is there oversampling option in this bad boy or...?
Old 11th August 2019
  #4417
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
M Albazy, from an earlier post:

"With any ratio above 3:1, the output really will NOT significantly increase with a typical increase of input level, as the nature of the knee and feedback topology really kind of "lock the output level" on the Arousor.

It is also kind of impossible to predict where a level will be on a Feedback compressor, in general. Often, folks keep the bypassed apparent level the same as the apparent compressed level, which is pretty darned easy to do. Just use the output level to match the bypassed level."

We have tried to manually experiment with some I/O Control law that compensates the output when the input is changed, and honestly, it worked so poorly and inconsistently, that it was quickly put aside. If you have a compressor that really doesn't GRAB and nail a signal in place, you may have a better chance. But as many of you know, "nailing in place" is a big part of what the Arousor does.

You might try experimenting yourself. Any number of parameters radically affect the I/O transfer function, often affecting the output MORE than adjusting the Input level, once you are actually doing some compression.
LUFS we experimented this with another brand it's nothing linear ....
Old 12th August 2019
  #4418
Gear Maniac
 
M Albazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
LUFS we experimented this with another brand it's nothing linear ....
I love the TDR stuff for the auto-gain, spot on.
Old 12th August 2019
  #4419
Gear Maniac
 
M Albazy's Avatar
The issue with plugins in general is you can't handle two parameters at the same time, I mean you can't use your both hands like for example tweaking a real Distressor or 1176...etc.
Old 12th August 2019
  #4420
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
The issue with plugins in general is you can't handle two parameters at the same time, I mean you can't use your both hands like for example tweaking a real Distressor or 1176...etc.
I try to do as much MIDI mapping of my plugins as my DAW allows just so I can do things like that! Depending on your DAW, and how easy they make that, I highly recommend getting some kind of MIDI knob box just to get off the mouse. It's a huge workflow boost when you can do things like move two knobs at once.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4421
Resizable GUI would mean a lot to me and wouldn't hurt anyone.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4422
Lives for gear
 
Kyle Ashley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Resizable GUI would mean a lot to me and wouldn't hurt anyone.
yes! plug is a bit small at my resolution. upgrade working well and appreciate the new graphic clarity...just biggerize this baby.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4423
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Resizable GUI would mean a lot to me and wouldn't hurt anyone.
I think making a fully resizable GUI is quite hard, but some manufacturers made plugins with three of four sizes, which IMO is much easier and should be an option for all plugins.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4424
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
I think making a fully resizable GUI is quite hard, but some manufacturers made plugins with three of four sizes, which IMO is much easier and should be an option for all plugins.
yep size ratios would be great !
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
I think making a fully resizable GUI is quite hard, but some manufacturers made plugins with three of four sizes, which IMO is much easier and should be an option for all plugins.
Exactly. Like I said, a resizable GUI would be welcomed, 3-4 sizes. Perfect.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4426
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Would love also an IN /OUT meter like the SSL duende X comp to compare in out loudness .... i know it's a lot but ....lol why not ....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I try to do as much MIDI mapping of my plugins as my DAW allows just so I can do things like that! Depending on your DAW, and how easy they make that, I highly recommend getting some kind of MIDI knob box just to get off the mouse. It's a huge workflow boost when you can do things like move two knobs at once.
Yes. This is a key.

Plus if you do your own mapping, you can keep the layout the same on every compressor or EQ regardless of the graphics/manufacturer's layout.

Also if you use controllermate, you're not dependent on MIDI and can use any USB device.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
@ Dave Derr

Is it possible to have a link on/off for the input/ouput? So the more input you add it's subtracted at the same time from the output and vice-versa.
You can do that if you have a controller where you make your own mappings.

You map both virtual knobs to the same hardware knob and invert the direction of one.

You can also set a ratio so that one moves more than the other, for instance the output moving less than the input because of the feedback.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4429
Gear Maniac
 
M Albazy's Avatar
Which controllers you guys use?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Which controllers you guys use?
MIDI Fighter Twister.

I've also remapped my entire keyboard and have all sorts of shortcuts in ProTools that Avid doesn't provide.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4431
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
MIDI Fighter Twister.

I've also remapped my entire keyboard and have all sorts of shortcuts in ProTools that Avid doesn't provide.
I picked up a midi fighter Twister and controllermate, but have yet to be able to figure out how to make it work with plugins in PT. I have started using the twister with Ableton which has been simple to set up, but setting it up as a plugin controller in PT has proved to be a daunting task.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4432
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
M Albazy, from an earlier post:

"With any ratio above 3:1, the output really will NOT significantly increase with a typical increase of input level, as the nature of the knee and feedback topology really kind of "lock the output level" on the Arousor.

It is also kind of impossible to predict where a level will be on a Feedback compressor, in general. Often, folks keep the bypassed apparent level the same as the apparent compressed level, which is pretty darned easy to do. Just use the output level to match the bypassed level."

We have tried to manually experiment with some I/O Control law that compensates the output when the input is changed, and honestly, it worked so poorly and inconsistently, that it was quickly put aside. If you have a compressor that really doesn't GRAB and nail a signal in place, you may have a better chance. But as many of you know, "nailing in place" is a big part of what the Arousor does.
For me the value of a momentary key command to inversely link the i/o gain would be when a signal is far below the threshold, which is often the case.

I know accurately compensating for the volume changes from compression is complex , but when I have to boost the input 15dB to get some compression happening it would be nice to quickly compensate for that big level increase at the same time, doesn't matter to me that it wouldn't be perfect. Just a little time saver, and if I'm using arouser on 50 plus channels on a mix, that time adds up. On a real unit I'd adjust both knobs at the same time, so adding a shortcut to allow it makes more like using hardware IMO.

Please consider, I don't see what downsides there could be, just a little extra convenience for those that would like it. Thanks for a great compressor!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4433
I’ll second this.

Especially when used in a mastering context where ratios are low and gain reduction amounts are small, it is very likely that I’ll want to be increasing input gain and decreasing output gain by an equal amount.

Ditto for when using just the saturation with a 1:1 ratio.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
For me the value of a momentary key command to inversely link the i/o gain would be when a signal is far below the threshold, which is often the case.

I know accurately compensating for the volume changes from compression is complex , but when I have to boost the input 15dB to get some compression happening it would be nice to quickly compensate for that big level increase at the same time, doesn't matter to me that it wouldn't be perfect. Just a little time saver, and if I'm using arouser on 50 plus channels on a mix, that time adds up. On a real unit I'd adjust both knobs at the same time, so adding a shortcut to allow it makes more like using hardware IMO.

Please consider, I don't see what downsides there could be, just a little extra convenience for those that would like it. Thanks for a great compressor!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4434
The Distressor's "daddy"
 
Dave Derr's Avatar
 

Mes Amis

Well, I have made a note to revisit auto-gain setting, but it would be an imperfect feature, for sure. Doing gain make up below compression would be the only place it would be accurate. I know most folks, including myself, simply insert the Arousor, turn the input to some general compression range, then adjust the output to match the bypassed level. If you are above 3:1. you will find adjusting the input doesn't make the output change crazy amounts.

The problem with implementing an imperfect function, is folks quickly realize it is imperfect and you start getting emails and complaints. However, we try to never say never, and the engineers and I can talk some more, and if it is a shortcut involving holding a key while adjusting the Input, the informed user would probably already be aware of downsides. But early experiments did not bode well. As we model analog circuits, just about everything interacts with everything else, so changing one parameter, like Attack, can change the apparent output level by several dB.

JLaPointe - We make it easy to use saturation without affecting level. Just put in 1:1, adjust your output to a good mix level, and turn the Saturation (Soft Clipper) to desired amount. It's much better than a Distressor in this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
For me the value of a momentary key command to inversely link the i/o gain would be when a signal is far below the threshold, which is often the case.

I know accurately compensating for the volume changes from compression is complex , but when I have to boost the input 15dB to get some compression happening it would be nice to quickly compensate for that big level increase at the same time, doesn't matter to me that it wouldn't be perfect. Just a little time saver, and if I'm using arouser on 50 plus channels on a mix, that time adds up. On a real unit I'd adjust both knobs at the same time, so adding a shortcut to allow it makes more like using hardware IMO.

Please consider, I don't see what downsides there could be, just a little extra convenience for those that would like it. Thanks for a great compressor!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4435
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Maybe you could simply lock the knobs as a setting and not claim it matches volume perfectly.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4436
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Maybe you could simply lock the knobs as a setting and not claim it matches volume perfectly.
EXact , i do find that most of the time when i do normal compression (no slamming) the delta is not like 10 db but very close to opposit value +-2db so this could be a good start and then allow adjust output moving independantly from input without having to unlink ...

So to make it clear , link option when moving input , but not the output ...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
JLaPointe - We make it easy to use saturation without affecting level. Just put in 1:1, adjust your output to a good mix level, and turn the Saturation (Soft Clipper) to desired amount. It's much better than a Distressor in this application.
Yes that is one valid approach.

But to clarify, there is a special thing that happens when the Saturation is set to the default of 4, and the amount of saturation is varied by adjusting the input level.

That's the scenario where linked in/out would be useful, for me at least.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
I picked up a midi fighter Twister and controllermate, but have yet to be able to figure out how to make it work with plugins in PT. I have started using the twister with Ableton which has been simple to set up, but setting it up as a plugin controller in PT has proved to be a daunting task.
Don't set it up in ProTools. Use Controllermate. It will allow you do to so much more than working in ProTools alone. Plus you'll be able to use it with every single app on your computer.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
Mes Amis

Well, I have made a note to revisit auto-gain setting, but it would be an imperfect feature, for sure. Doing gain make up below compression would be the only place it would be accurate. I know most folks, including myself, simply insert the Arousor, turn the input to some general compression range, then adjust the output to match the bypassed level. If you are above 3:1. you will find adjusting the input doesn't make the output change crazy amounts.

The problem with implementing an imperfect function, is folks quickly realize it is imperfect and you start getting emails and complaints. However, we try to never say never, and the engineers and I can talk some more, and if it is a shortcut involving holding a key while adjusting the Input, the informed user would probably already be aware of downsides. But early experiments did not bode well. As we model analog circuits, just about everything interacts with everything else, so changing one parameter, like Attack, can change the apparent output level by several dB.

JLaPointe - We make it easy to use saturation without affecting level. Just put in 1:1, adjust your output to a good mix level, and turn the Saturation (Soft Clipper) to desired amount. It's much better than a Distressor in this application.
Don't make it auto gain. The shortcut key idea above is a good one.

For instance if you hold command while increasing input, the output turns inversely. The rest of the time it works as is.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
For me the value of a momentary key command to inversely link the i/o gain would be when a signal is far below the threshold, which is often the case.
There are a lot of key mapping apps or apps like Controllermate that make this kind of thing extremely easy to do.

They take about 15 minutes to learn how to use, and at that point you're only limited by what you can imagine.

I've mapped keys to memory locations so that I can mix in the mix window and never have to scroll. It's like having a different DAW.

It also stops you from being dependent on designers to make a workflow you find logical. You can also map controllers so the knobs control the same function on every plugin regardless of how the designer chose to map them.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump