Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR - Page 107 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 10th July 2016
OMU
Lives for gear

+1 on a preset system similar to TDR/Valhalla.

Simply brilliant. I don't think there's an easier way to share presets online.
Old 11th July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
+1 on a preset system similar to TDR/Valhalla.

Simply brilliant. I don't think there's an easier way to share presets online.
Been catching up here after Beatworld posted the links. OMU, the best part for us as a developer, is the text based preset sharing system should be totally OS and Format independent. What a huge factor! Been sharing this preset stuff with the other engineers here. Tomorrow we should be able to discuss it some more here at the factory. Seclusion, I will check out Fractal Audio. I'll have to visit their booth at the AES, as I've never seen their hardware. Thanks.

Sorry I was absent most of the weekend. Had my head down, workin though. Got some ad material put together for Gearslutz, so you should see some banners soon. My poor girl is wondering what's going on, but she knows we are hurling towards release and we're tying up some loose ends. Gonna try to get her out for a day this week, and catch up. I'm a lucky guy to have patient folks around me.

Mike Caffrey, do you have a trick for automatically adding fades at the end of bass notes? Ive been using automation on a couple notes that bother me on one tune I am playing with. People are used to bass compression though, but every now and then I will hear a song with a Bass Pulse that is just so lovely as it feels real and there's not a constant low note holding. Yesterday, I listened to an old Cat Stevens song, Wild World, and marveled at the compressed bass. Its a big part of that albums warmth. And what... from 1970? But Oooo Fretless with the right compression is a marvelous thing. Nice slow release swell. Acoustic guitars are nicely compressed too. Prolly 1176?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0U3DlLFSU

PS Mike Caffrey - I also worked on yet another revision of our Lil FrEQ over the weekend! Ugh. Rev 17, I think. Bringing it up to all international regulations, and moving to a switching power supply to cut heat. We have to use tricks to get the Power Supply noise way down to what we are used to, but... it seems to work really well. The years will tell. But gosh, international regulations have easily cost us a million dollars at this point. For companies that make Opto compressors, it is a nightmare as cadmium and other materials in Opto cells are almost ALL outlawed. Can you believe it? No one is going to throw an LA2a or Tubetech CL 1B away. And even if they did, it's fractions of a gram of "dangerous substances". No landfill is going to be affected. Ugh, I hate clueless government regulation.
See youse all tomorrow. (That's New Jersey talk... errr... I mean New Joisey tawk)

Last edited by Dave Derr; 11th July 2016 at 08:33 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post

Yesterday, I listened to an old Cat Stevens song, Wild World, and marveled at the compressed bass. Its a big part of that albums warmth. And what... from 1970? But Oooo Fretless with the right compression is a marvelous thing. Nice slow release swell. Acoustic guitars are nicely compressed too. Prolly 1176?

That Cat Stevens album is magic, great songs, sounds and playing.
Speaking of great double bass and acoustic guitars.
John Martyn Solid Air (what an album...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU
Quote:
Been catching up here after Beatworld posted the links. OMU, the best part for us as a developer, is the text based preset sharing system should be totally OS and Format independent. What a huge factor! Been sharing this preset stuff with the other engineers here. Tomorrow we should be able to discuss it some more here at the factory. Seclusion, I will check out Fractal Audio. I'll have to visit their booth at the AES, as I've never seen their hardware. Thanks.

Sorry I was absent most of the weekend. Had my head down, workin though. Got some ad material put together for Gearslutz, so you should see some banners soon. My poor girl is wondering what's going on, but she knows we are hurling towards release and we're tying up some loose ends. Gonna try to get her out for a day this week, and catch up. I'm a lucky guy to have patient folks around me.

Mike Caffrey, do you have a trick for automatically adding fades at the end of bass notes? Ive been using automation on a couple notes that bother me on one tune I am playing with. People are used to bass compression though, but every now and then I will hear a song with a Bass Pulse that is just so lovely as it feels real and there's not a constant low note holding. Yesterday, I listened to an old Cat Stevens song, Wild World, and marveled at the compressed bass. Its a big part of that albums warmth. And what... from 1970? But Oooo Fretless with the right compression is a marvelous thing. Nice slow release swell. Acoustic guitars are nicely compressed too. Prolly 1176?

PS Mike Caffrey - I also worked on yet another revision of our Lil FrEQ over the weekend! Ugh. Rev 17, I think. Bringing it up to all international regulations, and moving to a switching power supply to cut heat. We have to use tricks to get the Power Supply noise way down to what we are used to, but... it seems to work really well. The years will tell. But gosh, international regulations have easily cost us a million dollars at this point. For companies that make Opto compressors, it is a nightmare as cadmium and other materials in Opto cells are almost ALL outlawed. Can you believe it? No one is going to throw an LA2a or Tubetech CL 1B away. And even if they did, it's fractions of a gram of "dangerous substances". No landfill is going to be affected. Ugh, I hate clueless government regulation.
See youse all tomorrow. (That's New Jersey talk... errr... I mean New Joisey tawk)

A guy takes a trip to NJ, and the entire time he's there the revisions never stops. Before he leaves he asks, how come the revisions never stop? Because next comes the bass solo!

Probably not everyone is going to get that one.

The bass note length is easiest to manage when there's a grid, but it can be done without.

I'd print a bar of a sine wave, and chop it up to the note lengths I'd need, lay them out on their own track and use them to key a gate.

While it might seem as much work as putting in individual fades, you'll likely be able to cut and paste bars and sections, and if you decide later you want to change the length of the sustain, you just adjust the gate.

I might not have the gate close all the way either.

It would be even easier if someone made a gate with a hysteresis control, but no one does that.

Working off of a side chain, even on a duplicated track that you then edit/process allows you to change your dynamics processing to be time based rather than dynamics based, or somewhere in between. The way we use dynamics processing now very often less about dynamic range than it is about rhythm, making time a better trigger than dynamics.

A great example is drum bus compression. When the chorus hits, generally you don't want more compression, you want the same pump and glue, and you want the drums to get louder. The best way to do that, is to trigger the compressor off of a non-dynamic signal.

Hysteresis controls should be linkable to the grid so that you can ignore the second 8th note in a kick pattern.

Mixing would be so much easier!
Old 11th July 2016
Gear Addict
hi dave, are there any plans to port this dsp into hardware for example a 500 series unit?

thanks
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc3kle View Post
hi dave, are there any plans to port this dsp into hardware for example a 500 series unit?

thanks
That's a really crazy question for us. Believe it or not, we already designed a 500 series module using this topology, with AtMod and all. It was to test some of the functions and ranges etc. But it could be a product with some graphics work etc.

Honestly, we probably will not finish it. We do that a lot. Two reasons: We never sold thousands of any of our 500 modules... nothing compared to our Distressor, Fatso, or Mike-E. But we found that most folks who bought one of the modules, bought a second for stereo. Ha.

2nd reason is it would have to be probably $700 list price, which will limit the sales a bit too. If we made it in China, we could prolly do $399 maybe. But even a $500 street price is high for a single channel module... unless it was MAGIC.

Where do you live mpc? If you are in the US, I could send you one of the two prototypes to alpha test, as it's a crazy thing you even asked about it. But they are just sitting here gathering dust. It has a paper front overlay, printed on a LaserJet 4. Haaa. But you can totally read it. Its been so long since I played with it. Sounds different than the AROUSOR though, but still has a total vibe.

Mike Caffrey - Producing Bass Fades - that's a lot more trouble than I want to go to. Ha. I was hoping for some expander trick or something. Every single recording I have gotten lately, comes with the bass compressed quite a bit... and you can't undo it.
Mike, you bring up making the chorus drums come up on the chorus or whatever... I usually just have a drum buss to ride, BUT... I have sent some uncompressed mixes out for mastering, and sometimes when they compress it, you end up not getting that louder chorus, nor louder sounding drum part. Unless you give exact directions, any mastering compression will end up undoing some dynamics the mix guy puts in.

Getting back around to an earlier discussion about mixing through a two buss compressor... this is where using one can help you know what any compression will do later on.
I'm off for Supper!
Old 12th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
It would be even easier if someone made a gate with a hysteresis control, but no one does that.
The Neve 88 Series Consoles have a hysteresis control. UAD has modeled it nicely. Absolutely the best gate in my arsenal for a long time. Even the Legacy version of the plugin rocks for this reason. No external side chain input on the UAD versions though.
The Distressor's "daddy"

Adding Bass Decays Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundness View Post
The Neve 88 Series Consoles have a hysteresis control. UAD has modeled it nicely. Absolutely the best gate in my arsenal for a long time. Even the Legacy version of the plugin rocks for this reason. No external side chain input on the UAD versions though.
Hmmm I forget how that gate works. Used the Neve a couple times.

Rolling off the lows gently, and boosting 700 or above worked fairly well on the basic PT gate, but you had to set the threshold just right, and the release really long, with a range of about 6 - 12 dB. But honestly, when it didn't open up on a low E string hit softly... I no longer trusted it. Ha. I just put in a fade with automation.

I think I've made too big a deal out of a rare problem though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundness View Post
All of the most recent Rupert designed consoles have it too - at least three different Amek consoles have it.
Quote:

Mike Caffrey - Producing Bass Fades - that's a lot more trouble than I want to go to. Ha. I was hoping for some expander trick or something. Every single recording I have gotten lately, comes with the bass compressed quite a bit... and you can't undo it.
Mike, you bring up making the chorus drums come up on the chorus or whatever... I usually just have a drum buss to ride, BUT... I have sent some uncompressed mixes out for mastering, and sometimes when they compress it, you end up not getting that louder chorus, nor louder sounding drum part. Unless you give exact directions, any mastering compression will end up undoing some dynamics the mix guy puts in.

That's less work than putting in fades at the end of every bass note.

If the drums are played louder in the chorus, riding drum bus fader isn't the same because while the drums will be louder, they'll also be smaller and more compressed.

Riding the threshold is really a better solution.
Quote:
Hmmm I forget how that gate works. Used the Neve a couple times.

Rolling off the lows gently, and boosting 700 or above worked fairly well on the basic PT gate, but you had to set the threshold just right, and the release really long, with a range of about 6 - 12 dB. But honestly, when it didn't open up on a low E string hit softly... I no longer trusted it. Ha. I just put in a fade with automation.

I think I've made too big a deal out of a rare problem though.
Not at all. What you're really getting at is compressors need an entire set of ADSR controls too.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
If the drums are played louder in the chorus, riding drum bus fader isn't the same because while the drums will be louder, they'll also be smaller and more compressed.

Riding the threshold is really a better solution.
That does sound like a good solution, thanks for the tip
Gear Addict
Quote:

Honestly, we probably will not finish it. We do that a lot. Two reasons: We never sold thousands of any of our 500 modules... nothing compared to our Distressor, Fatso, or Mike-E. But we found that most folks who bought one of the modules, bought a second for stereo. Ha.

2nd reason is it would have to be probably $700 list price, which will limit the sales a bit too. If we made it in China, we could prolly do $399 maybe. But even a $500 street price is high for a single channel module... unless it was MAGIC.

Where do you live mpc? If you are in the US, I could send you one of the two prototypes to alpha test, as it's a crazy thing you even asked about it. But they are just sitting here gathering dust. It has a paper front overlay, printed on a LaserJet 4. Haaa. But you can totally read it. Its been so long since I played with it. Sounds different than the AROUSOR though, but still has a total vibe.
Hey Dave, check your pm,
Old 15th July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Gang! Sorry I've been missing in action, but there's been a ton of unrelated stuff going on here. Over the weekend I'll come back and look over the posts as I know there is questions or things I have missed in the last week or two.

We tested another revision, but ... not good enough for a Rev 1 release... so we most likely will NOT even release it. Frustrating. But we are still "plugging away" and reviewing the last of the problems, hoping to get over the few big issues in the next rev. We WILL solve them.

In the meantime, the $50 Pre-Release discount remains in effect until we give at least a 48hr notice. You will see some ads soon, the first with happy customer quotes, and soon, some happy Big Guy quotes.

Talk later this weekend!
Old 16th July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Getting ready to leave the office and finally do something summer-y with my personal Arousor. My poor Gal has spent too much time alone the last few months.

Been working on the final issues some more. As some of you know, we are really struggling with the 1% crash issues we have seen. The problem is reproducing them here. No can do! If we could see them, we could log what the heck is going on, and quickly fix them. Maybe we will fly the 8 or so folks with the issues here, with their complete rigs. I'll buy the wine and beer.

Besides that frustration for the few customers, and us... we have been so happy to see some of our favorite engineers posting to us and their friends about their love of the Arousor. A few have gone out and bought copies for their assistants, and close comrades. Of course that makes us motivated to get things finished... so we can move on to the future features. And most of the stuff you guys and other customers have requested is going to show up over the next few years. I'm trying not to think about that stuff right now and just get it working problem-free... but there is now a bit of a schedule and plan for the updates, and release of the specific new features. At least 5 Revisions planned.

Be back later, mes amis.
Old 16th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Maybe we will fly the 8 or so folks with the issues here, with their complete rigs. I'll buy the wine and beer.
Ha... It'd probably be easier if you just flew out to each one of us individually with some of your tech guys. I know you'll be in LA early October, so if you have time to take a trip about 350 miles north from there. I'll demonstrate the bug on my system.
Old 17th July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Gearslutz Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Dominic View Post
Ha... It'd probably be easier if you just flew out to each one of us individually with some of your tech guys. I know you'll be in LA early October, so if you have time to take a trip about 350 miles north from there. I'll demonstrate the bug on my system.
Dominic! Evenin. Hope you are well?

You better not have to do any work-arounds by the end of September, or I'm gonna move into a tree house, quit paying taxes, learn the harmonica, and design Cat toys for the Rich & Famous. But we may actually try to duplicate your system, if all else fails. Have you been keeping your OS updated incidently? We had one PT problem resolved with an update.

The Gearslutz Review
Ok, now for something completely different, Gearslutz posted this yesterday, I believe. A very kind Arousor Review! Thanks for digging in deep, Diogo. I could tell you were having fun with it. And thanks for helping us find a graphics issue.

Empirical Labs Arousor Plugin

Last edited by Dave Derr; 17th July 2016 at 08:52 AM..
Gear Nut

Quote:
Have you been keeping your OS updated incidently? We had one PT problem resolved with an update.
No, I'm still on 10.8.5. And that's where I'm staying! Lol, at least until my album's finished. I'm slightly paranoid, I'm in that sort of "If it ain't broke, than don't fix it" mentality, everything's running smoothly, and I don't want to risk any headaches that I'll have to deal with. I have at least one AROUSOR inserted and saved in all eight songs, so I don't even need to use the "work around" anymore... for this project.
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Dominic View Post
No, I'm still on 10.8.5. And that's where I'm staying! Lol, at least until my album's finished. I'm slightly paranoid, I'm in that sort of "If it ain't broke, than don't fix it" mentality, everything's running smoothly, and I don't want to risk any headaches that I'll have to deal with. I have at least one AROUSOR inserted and saved in all eight songs, so I don't even need to use the "work around" anymore... for this project.
Ha, you're wise about not updating in the middle of a project. If only Apple and Microsoft could do that whole "Stable Operating System" thing. I keep waiting for Software companies to bond together and do a class action lawsuit when Apple or MS breaks apps and even their own functionality with OS revisions.
The Distressor's "daddy"

Sylvia Massy

Heads up. A favorite engineer is opening a thread on Gearslutz, and it will be highly educational and entertaining. I urge all of my GS friends to tune in to Sylvia Massy's thread, and hang with a lovely legend. I'll be there.

Just in case some are not familiar with her name, you are familiar with her work, including artists like Tool, Aerosmith, Foo Fighters, Deftones, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Johnny Cash, System of a Down, Sublime, and on and on and on...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-sy...lvia-back.html

Past Q&A for review:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-sylvia-massy/
Attached Thumbnails
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-sylvia-massy-neve.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Derr; 19th July 2016 at 09:10 AM..
Old 19th July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

New Rev Coming

I'm waiting for new Installers to test. Yay. Could be a good revision. A few Gearslutzers have offered incredible help. You know who you are.

Anyway, we will be testing it by the end of the week, I suspect.

We may or may not add some more presets. I wonder... does anyone feel like there is anything important missing in our factory presets, now?

Last edited by Dave Derr; 19th July 2016 at 08:58 PM..
Old 20th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

sounds good!

I guess I missed something but how do I install the latest presets?

win 10 / 64 bit
Old 21st July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Mac! They should show up if you upgraded to .9.9. Here is the link if you have not. Let me know if you have any issues or problems.

Empirical Labs - Plugins
Quote:
Originally Posted by macb3th View Post
sounds good!

I guess I missed something but how do I install the latest presets?

win 10 / 64 bit
Old 21st July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Thanks Dave!
Old 22nd July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Hey Dave!

8 weeks ago i feared that i would miss the intro special since i was ripping my control room apart and could not demo the plugin (and i wanted to wait for AAX DSP too).
So now, here we are 8 weeks later with the intro price still going on (right?) and me sitting in my new control room!

So i think it's time to demo between two sessions

AAX DSP should not be far ahead right? just to be sure before committing

Thanks!

Luc
Old 22nd July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Greetings audioluche. Yes we guarantee there will be AAX-DSP Arousors. Just a matter of months. But as you pointed out, the last few bugs that really bother us, are still being put to death, and the Pre-Release discount of $50 will continue until we give 48hrs notice. Have another revision coming soon, and have done two revisions since .9.9, but not released them. Getting the last few bugs out has been humbling.

But yes... it is time for you to DEMO, and that will give you a couple weeks to see how it fits your needs. I'll be looking for your first feedback.

Congratulations on your finished Studio. We all know how stressful it is until... you're sitting in your new control room! Best wishes for your studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hey Dave!

8 weeks ago i feared that i would miss the intro special since i was ripping my control room apart and could not demo the plugin (and i wanted to wait for AAX DSP too).
So now, here we are 8 weeks later with the intro price still going on (right?) and me sitting in my new control room!

So i think it's time to demo between two sessions

AAX DSP should not be far ahead right? just to be sure before committing

Thanks!

Luc

Last edited by Dave Derr; 22nd July 2016 at 10:14 PM..
Old 23rd July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Here's something you haven't seen before. And neither had our customer. We finally just fixed his Cubase Pro problems. Yay.
Still... there's a few patient customers doing work arounds. We're workin on em'!
Attached Thumbnails
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-bensarousors.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Derr; 23rd July 2016 at 10:14 PM..
Old 26th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

great product

first time poster here, been hanging around for a while. had to join just to say am very impressed with this one. the price even @ 300 discounted is a bit steep for one plugin but its versatile enough it can go on most tracks & has become my default go-to plugin compressor. a boon if ur looking to simplify workflow. love the attack shaping on percussives. looking forward to future updates.
Old 28th July 2016 | Show parent
The Distressor's "daddy"

Supported Formats

Friends, here is the list of supported and tested formats and controllers for the AROUSOR. Any corrections, additions and feedback are most welcome.

Merci Beaucoup
Attached Thumbnails
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-supported-formats.jpg  
Old 28th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Friends, here is the list of supported and tested formats and controllers for the AROUSOR. Any corrections, additions and feedback are most welcome.

Merci Beaucoup!
I guess I would add the HD on PT10.3.10.
📝 Reply