The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Mackie MCU Questions
Old 31st January 2007
Thank you!
This is the answer everyone was waiting for, at last!
Not a good one, to be honest, but a good answer.

You were very kind.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Dan....

Thanks for answering the questions re the new MCU. I would like to know if the C4 will work with logic native dynamics (i.e. EQ's,) and Logic synths and-if it will work with 3rd party synth and dynamics plug ins?(NI, Spectrasonics, East West)
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac
Yes, when used with Logic, the C4 can be used for the stock logic plugs as well as any 3rd party plugins that Logic is using. It doesn't matter whether it's a synth or an effect, it's all just plugins to the C4, with parameters to be twiddled.

From what I've seen when casually messing with the C4 and Logic, the integration is quite deep. There are some preferences you can set in the controllers menu on how the C4 works with Logic, and you can do things like haver the C4 control many aspects of a channel strip, or just reserve it for 32 plugin parameters at a time (before banking).

But I'm not a big expert on this as I'm not a logic user. I can answer better about how the C4 works with our own Tracktion software. I wrote the spec for that interaction, as well as how the MCU works with it.

Thanks!
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steinberg View Post

Steinberg support of C4: A touchy subject to be sure. Steinberg is unique in that they are the only company who makes the control surface manufacturer do the work to support control surfaces in their 2 apps, as opposed to coding it in themselves. Not a better or worse approach, just different. The problem is, this then requires no small amount of resources and financial outlay on our end to do that programming. To date, it has been hard to commit that time and money when:

A-We are in the middle of many other computer related products (for example, the 1200F and a long running driver/control panel/firmware update to the 400F).

B-We need to be sure that we'd sell enough additional C4s to not lose money on the endeavor.

Although we are a big company, our resources are limited like everyone else, and it's hard to be able to do every project folks would like to see us do.

Thanks!
Hi Dan,
have you ever thought about out-sourcing the actual integration of the C4
into Cubase/Nuendo? There are some talented programmers out there, who
also happen to be musicians and could be interested in doing this work for
a small buck or some way of payment in kind...

Best regards,
Tobias
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by to-pse View Post
Hi Dan,

Best regards,
Tobias
I'll second that. The poor Cubase support is the reason for me being on the fence for a long time. I never felt that the Steinberg Houston was going to be long-lived, since Steinberg always seem to abondon their not-core products.
Old 1st February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by to-pse View Post
Hi Dan,

Best regards,
Tobias
Yes, totally agree!
Just think:
To anyone (just one person...the programmer) who is able C4 work with Cubase/Nuendo Mackie will give One MCU and one C4 for free.
This would be very smart and would open market to all Steinberg users.
And think about this:

Your name is Steinberg....Cubase is Steinberg!
Your product is C4.....new Cubase is named C4!

There's lot more than a simple coincidence......
You were sent to solve this problem!!!!!thumbsup
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steinberg View Post
Yes, when used with Logic, the C4 can be used for the stock logic plugs as well as any 3rd party plugins that Logic is using. It doesn't matter whether it's a synth or an effect, it's all just plugins to the C4, with parameters to be twiddled.

From what I've seen when casually messing with the C4 and Logic, the integration is quite deep. There are some preferences you can set in the controllers menu on how the C4 works with Logic, and you can do things like haver the C4 control many aspects of a channel strip, or just reserve it for 32 plugin parameters at a time (before banking).

But I'm not a big expert on this as I'm not a logic user. I can answer better about how the C4 works with our own Tracktion software. I wrote the spec for that interaction, as well as how the MCU works with it.

Thanks!

Sounds great! And thank you again!
Old 20th March 2007
Gear Head

nener nener nenerrr

is it possible to have a 48+ channel setup with the MCU Pro?

i mean it says that the v2 can handle as many expanders as the v1..rite?

well how many expanders can the v1 handle?
Old 3rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Here is what the mod "Jérôme" at Cubase-Forum is saying:
Cubase.net ::: View topic - Mackie C4 with Cubase SX?

--->
Quite understandable as the mackie protocol has somewhat become a standard and they just feel a bit p****d off that they should now do the job so that their units are supported natively by Cubase. BUT, look at the amount of available controllers on the market and try to imagine if Steinberg had to implement a native support for all of them. It would be like asking them to provide native support for al soundcards.

Over the years the Steinberg policy has always been to develop new technologies and then make them public so that hardware/software manufacturers could adapt their products to the DAW. Personally, I think this is far more intelligent, because manufacturers know their products far better than Steinberg who are far busy enough with coding Cubase/Nuendo. To support a hardware product in the best way, you have to know exactly how it was made. Otherwise, you have to reverse-engineer the device.......surely impossible !

They did this with ASIO, with VST and other technologies and all of them became standards !

I think the "problem" should be turned upside down : "why don't manufacturers use the remote SDK to make their remotes natively supported by Cubase ?" Frontier Design and Presonus did it, and obviously, it worked great and they did not have to spend days and days programming !
<----

WTF ?!?!?!

Seems like we will never get the c4 working in cubase ...

fuuck
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

bump ;-)

i just ordered a c4, because they are now on sale everywhere (390 EURO).
as we all know the c4 was never fully integrated into cubase / nuendo,
but all i need are many knobs i can use with "midi learn" of my plug ins.

but re-reading this thread made me wonder: does that work???

so - is it possible to assign the mackie c4 knobs to cubase via simple "midi/learn"??
does anybody do that here???? or do i have to return the c4, because it does not
even do that???

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search