The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
u b k does namm... i am your eyes and ears
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light View Post
Thanks a lot for the pics and the info - love it bro! I have to say the new rhodes looks like crap - sorry I had to vent my heart!
Just get an old Rhodes then
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
ah, my sweet babies. these lovely twin 6's are leaving namm and heading directly to my room, and a sub will be following in close tow. i am PSYCHED to hear these bad boys in my space, and to mix thru them. i'll have them side by side with the sm8's, and will be able to get a clear picture of they relate, how they compare, and how they don't.

aside from the wood of the cabinets, which is even more gorgeous than the pictures allow for, they are flexible. with the flick of a switch, you can make the the midrange drivers be the inside pair or the outside. so depending on how far apart you have them in your room, you can set them up the way that works best for your imaging pleasure.

we are priveleged to be alive, my friends, these are sweet times to be creating, designing and selling shrubbery.

gregoire
del
ubk
Ubik, I am a current Barefoot MM27 owner, and everything I've read on GS lately has made me want to give the Focals a test drive. I'm trying to decide which model to try, the twins or the SM8s. Of course, I'd love it if the twins would work cause it would save me some $$, but the extra eq options plus the difference in the way the bass is ported on the 8s looks good. Simon told me the bass is tighter on the SM8s. How soon will you have them back at your pad? You're not currently running a sub with your SM8s, are you?

I feel stupid even looking further than the Barefoots, but, I have to say, I haven't been....gulp..... totally thrilled with them. I really think it's all about how a monitor interacts with a room. And, everything Ubik said in his "gushing" thread was EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear from the Barefoots and for some reason I haven't.

I kept my old JBL LSR6328s and pulled them out this past week and took the mm27s off the stands and to my astonishment and almost horror, the JBL's almost felt like an old friend. I know.... I'm crazy. I have NO DOUBT that these barefoots are AMAZING speakers..... they just might not be quite right for me. I just don't know yet. I'm still trying to figure it out. Sorry to clutter this great thread with all of this... I just figured someone was bound to ask "so... what..... are you not happy with your Barefoots?"

j

p.s. thanks so much for your great work Ubik..... the ATS-1 looks brilliant
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

live on line!

okay, i'm back and this is gonna be a blowout day, so hit me with what ya got before the lights go down on anaheim for another year.

after i type this i'm going directly to the ssl booth to run their stuff thru my proverbial ringer.

and at some point i will be posting a seriously badass video demo of paul wolff building a mix on the tonelux and showing off his latest baby, the badass little compressor module that puts the 'dank' in 'spank'. (i have no idea what that means, fwiw.) there's also some footage of him doing a pultec-trick to the midrange on electric guitar, hopefully i'll have time to get that posted as well.

as always, stay tuned!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 21st January 2007
500 series nutjob

did you get a chance to hit the A-Designs booth?
i still want to see that new bass amp he is suppose to have their.
the new tube eq.
as well as anything else new.
Old 21st January 2007

Good job UBK! Thanks for posting all this for us. I almost made it to NAMM this year (I've never been there), I'm so jealous that some of my co-workers went but I had to stay and work. Maybe next year. Anyway, thanks a lot UBK!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

If you get a chance, will you go over to where Quantegy is and ask them if they made some sort of announcement day before yesterday about once again getting out of the tape biz. I'm SURE it's not true... but since you're there......
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
I take it you like synths?

Ubik, is Dynaudio showing off the new BM6A MKII & BM12A?
Thanks.

You can say that heh
Old 21st January 2007
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Ubik for president!
or the clintons ( heh heh )...
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

nice job UBK ,you saved us alot of walking.I really want a AnaMod.Wonder what they want for one of those units?
Old 21st January 2007
awesome
this gets better and better
thank you!

btw from the pics link posted by vartan:
seriously slutty the EMU modular, in the emu stand.
poor guys they had to put something up there
the cyndustries oscillator also has my attention
thank you as well for posting the link

cyndustries, moog and cwejman??
UBK do you like oscillators?

heh
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

look ma, i got a 9000!

well, it had to happen... the ssl-in-a-rack. jim at ssl was kind enough to give me a pretty comprehensive rundown of the features, and it really is a well thought-out design. like the tonelux, these guys are offering an a-la-carte console, as small or as big as you want, as simple or as feature-laden as you can imagine.

there's really entirely too much info for me to cover here, so i'll just hit the basics. all the circuitry is K, so it's designed to be uberclean and ultra high-bandwidth. they have straight up 8 channels summing module, a 4 channel summing module with volume and pan, an eq module with an E and G switch, and the compressor module that everyone knows. on the extra-cool tip is the total recall, which can be saved as a midi file right in your session. load up an old project and all your settings come right up. how it works is there's a light next to each knob that turns either green or red. if it's green, turn the knob right; if it's red, turn it left. when you've got the knob where it's supposed to be, the light goes out. takes about 2 seconds to get a knob dialed, so recall of an elaborate 24-channel rig would go very fast.

as far as i can tell, ssl and tonelux are your options for systems with this kind of flexibility and customizability, allowing you to build your console over time, as you need it. and while it may be tempting to view them as competitors, in my eyes they are not. the two sonic philosophies couldn't be more different, and believe that for any given user, one product will speak directly to him and one will not; ssl is (and always has) gone for the cleanest path possible --- no capacitors! --- and is known for their sheeny, huge bottom, white hot top, ultra ggressive grab radio sound. essentially, ssl is the definitive "modern" tone. tonelux, otoh, is designed with one over-arching goal: tone, color, and unmistakeable sonic footprint. clean is not in the conversation, it is thick and warm with an open top that leans to the sweet.

so there you have it, yet another amazing set of options for the project studio, producer rig, or full-blown commercial facility that doesn't want a massive frame eating up the whole mix space. these are great times we live in!
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-sslracks.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-ssleq.jpg  
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

ssl drumstrip no work

intel mac strikes again!

sorry to disappoint, but there was no functional drumstrip demo at the ssl booth. the feature set looks nice, especially the ability to reorder the various modules in any order you desire, and a wet/dry mix knob for everything.

but i could no hear, so i can no comment : (
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

UBK

Hope I'm not too late, but another request to check out the KRK E8Bs, with beryllium tweeter, and is there anything new from ELI?

Thanks for the great info
Old 21st January 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Ubik for president!

yes yes
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Great job with the NAMM coverage.

Anyone see anything new in the 500 series format?? I don't think I've noticed any other threads yet about that?
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

to answer some q's, the anamod is going to list for $2995, iirc.

there was nothing new under the sun at api, no new 500 series, no 16xx console, nuthin'.

sui, i've tried on 3 separate passes now to find the krk booth, and i'll be damned if i can find them. their booth number does not seem to exist, nor does the place on the map that indicates where they're supposed to be. my apologies; if anyone at the show knows where the hell they are, please let me know!

tonelux video is uploading to youtube as i type. watch paul wolff mix some rock 'n roll.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

better guitar tracks, courtesy of michael wagener

here's something that falls into that category of 'not glamorous but incredibly useful'. it's a rack unit from fellow gearslut and rock engineer guru michael wagener that is, to my eyes, a re-amper on steroids, and then some.

first, it splits your live guitar signal into one which passes along to your amp, and one which is stepped up to match the impedance of recording gear. iow, it's a direct box, but it has *no transformers*, so it passes your tone thru with pristine clarity.

second, it has a redeemer built in. for those not in the know (and until 10 minutes ago that included me) the redeemer allows you roll off the volume knob on your guitar without losing any of the openness or high end in the tone. so you can play with the knob at, say, 2, but the amp responds and produces tone as if it were wide open. this also allows you to make the guitar cable very low impedance, so you can crank the gain on the amp to restore volume but the lower impedance makes you much more immune to rf and other nasties. and unlike the redeemer that's built into guitars, this is not an all-or-nothing switch, it's fully variable. determine how much rolloff you do or don't want as you back off on the guitar's volume knob.

on the backside, you can bring your di signal back from pt and run it into the amp(s) of your choice. you could record the same take thru multiple amps simultaneously. or, if you're recording yourself alone in your project studio, you could use your prerecorded performance and now your hands are free to tweak the amp to dial in the tone you want, then you can jockey mic position while the amp is playing. in effect, you are free to focus on the performance, then focus on the recording of that performance, and not dilute your energies in either endeavor.

there's more: 30db of ultraclean gain on each input, and a variable impedance knob on each output. also, there are built-in lights on the back of the rack. there is probably more, but my brain is beyond saturated!

nice job michael, quite a useful and ingenious little tool.
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-wagenerbox1.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-wagenerbox2.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-wagenerbox3.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, it had to happen... the ssl-in-a-rack. jim at ssl was kind enough to give me a pretty comprehensive rundown of the features, and it really is a well thought-out design. like the tonelux, these guys are offering an a-la-carte console, as small or as big as you want, as simple or as feature-laden as you can imagine.

there's really entirely too much info for me to cover here, so i'll just hit the basics. all the circuitry is K, so it's designed to be uberclean and ultra high-bandwidth. they have straight up 8 channels summing module, a 4 channel summing module with volume and pan, an eq module with an E and G switch, and the compressor module that everyone knows. on the extra-cool tip is the total recall, which can be saved as a midi file right in your session. load up an old project and all your settings come right up. how it works is there's a light next to each knob that turns either green or red. if it's green, turn the knob right; if it's red, turn it left. when you've got the knob where it's supposed to be, the light goes out. takes about 2 seconds to get a knob dialed, so recall of an elaborate 24-channel rig would go very fast.

as far as i can tell, ssl and tonelux are your options for systems with this kind of flexibility and customizability, allowing you to build your console over time, as you need it. and while it may be tempting to view them as competitors, in my eyes they are not. the two sonic philosophies couldn't be more different, and believe that for any given user, one product will speak directly to him and one will not; ssl is (and always has) gone for the cleanest path possible --- no capacitors! --- and is known for their sheeny, huge bottom, white hot top, ultra ggressive grab radio sound. essentially, ssl is the definitive "modern" tone. tonelux, otoh, is designed with one over-arching goal: tone, color, and unmistakeable sonic footprint. clean is not in the conversation, it is thick and warm with an open top that leans to the sweet.

so there you have it, yet another amazing set of options for the project studio, producer rig, or full-blown commercial facility that doesn't want a massive frame eating up the whole mix space. these are great times we live in!
No aux sends on the SSL X-Rack system though. I still don't understand why so few of these summing/line mixers offer that facility.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

URS got anything exciting?
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

tonelux compressor in action!

yeah!!!

it may take a little while for youtube to encode this thing, but it's worth the wait.

lights are going down, good night from namm 2007!!!

gregoire
del
ubk

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/82U7zY-dmO8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/82U7zY-dmO8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
to answer some q's, the anamod is going to list for $2995, iirc.

there was nothing new under the sun at api, no new 500 series, no 16xx console, nuthin'.

sui, i've tried on 3 separate passes now to find the krk booth, and i'll be damned if i can find them. their booth number does not seem to exist, nor does the place on the map that indicates where they're supposed to be. my apologies; if anyone at the show knows where the hell they are, please let me know!

tonelux video is uploading to youtube as i type. watch paul wolff mix some rock 'n roll.
Wow, I like the $2995 number, but what does iirc mean? Any idea on availability?

Thanks again...this really has been one of the coolest threads I've ever read on this board! Much appreciated.

-Chris
Old 22nd January 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
yeah!!!

it may take a little while for youtube to encode this thing, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDYmykfGsIU

if anyone knows how to embed this puppy into this page right here, i'd be eternally grateful if they told me how, or just did it in a followup post.

lights are going down, good night from namm 2007!!!

gregoire
del
ubk

Great thread my man! Keep up the excellent work!

The file would be too large to do this at this time...

Lets checkout the YouTube clip for the moment.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Wow, I like the $2995 number, but what does iirc mean?
IIRC - If I remember/recall correctly
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Hello u b k,

First, I must say "my hat is off" to you on your amazing coverage of NAMM this year". You have set a high standard!

Hi point for me: Your video of Paul Wolff showing off his super slutty compressor. This thing is way cool! That "mix" knob should be renamed "magic"!

Low point for me: (besides it being over) The complete and total let down of API and their 16** console not becoming a reality. They are way behind when you look at what Paul has accomplishied since leaving. He is really kicking their ass and I hope they read this post. Huge let down. I hope I find myself a 2488 or even better a 3288 before (if) the new one becomes a reality. I'm ready to sign up for one (actually 2) unless I get "vintagely" lucky 1st.

Anyhow, I've spent every spare moment checking for your show updates the last 4 days. I guess I'll have to find a new hobby!

Thanks again, Jeff
Old 22nd January 2007
500 series nutjob

SHAMELESS PLUGG!
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

don't do too many shameless plugs - those speakers should "talk" for themselves

as they do since AES Paris IMO

best show report I ever read - GREAT STUFF!

Jo
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

U B K, just watched the tonelux clip, you rule man! Thanx for doing this!
Old 22nd January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, thanks to the brilliant setup at ua's booth, i was able to play a sample and run it thru every piece they have, switching back and forth between them and listening to the different behaviors. i focused on strummy bluesy electric guitar and upright bass.

the 2-la2a sounds really, really good. it has the action of an la2a, but the tone is not as syrupy. it's less aggressive (tonally) than the 1176, but is definitely thicker than the la3a.

in slow mode, it grabs very similarly to the la2a. in fast mode, which is simply t4 detector cells that were selected because they exhibit faster response than usual, it starts to act more like an 1176 with a medium-slow release. still not aggressive, or what i'd call "fast", but it is faster than the typical t4 and definitely a useful color.

they're hoping for an april release, price to be somewhere between $3-4000.

it's a really nice piece, the kind of thing i would love to have in my own racks.

gregoire
del
ubk
Nice and thank you for checking it out. thumbsup . Just the answer I was looking for. I assumed this thing would be a good unit so now I have to try one out when they get released, except the price tag might keep me away from it for a long while.
Old 22nd January 2007
Just a quick note, I didn't invent the mix control... One reason that it is just now coming to light is that side-chaining or parallel compression hasn't required this until the DAW. I wasn't the first, and won't be the last...

Most of the compressor is very different, though. I actually did just about everything differently, as I had may new ideas.

Designing Tonelux has been a real challenge, as I wanted to not be a cloner, I wanted not to use my old designs, and I wanted to express my opinion of what I thought "it" should sound like.

I was a great show, and I was glad to see so many of my friends and glad to make new ones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search