The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
u b k does namm... i am your eyes and ears
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Guru

okay gents, when i get to the floor i'm gonna hit up greg gaultieri and check out his tape sim that uses no dsp or digital to do its thing.

analog simulation of analog tape, from the guy who gives us pendulum audio. i am psyched to hear it!
Old 20th January 2007
Question

seen Phil Ramone around?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Ubik, thank you so much for posting this info, I'm having so much fun reading all of this, it's the best NAMM I've never been to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
White one is pimped!
I'm sayin!

Old 20th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
]it's the best NAMM I've never been to!
thumbsup
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks ubk... good stuff

-s0nguy
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Many thanks, u b k!

Enjoy the rest of your visit!

Old 20th January 2007
Gear Guru

you are all most welcome, it's my pleasure. this new media thing, and the interconnectedness of us all, it kinda blows my mind if i stop too long to think about it.

and hey, if anyone reading this is actually at the show, i'm at booth 6525 with tonelux, ELI, and chandler. all around me is digidesign, steinberg, ik multimedia, and waves... i feel like i'm in an oasis of tone in the digital desert!

but please stop around, say hi, introduce yourself, my uniform is a green hooded sweatshirt underneath a striped jacket. don't be shy, life's too long for that!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wish I was there!!!

Great work sir, and many thanks. You really are encompasing the power of new-media as you put it. All thats missing is a tiny HD camera, and streaming broadcast [And of course 'Youtube']

-Hope ur having a blast,
-Scott
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Guru

HOLY MOTHER OF G•D, WE HAVE TAPE

alright, those who know me here know that i take every opportunity to plug analog tape for tracking, mixing, signal munging, whatever. i'm a studer man, i would be a tube emi man if i could, and while i find many of the tape sims out there to be interesting and useful, there has been nothing --- and i mean NOTHING --- that has even remotely sounded to me like what i get when i patch thru the studer.

this may well have changed. greg gaultieri, otherwise known as pendulum audio, teamed up with dave amels to bring us an analog tape modeler that is itself pure analog circuitry. there is no dsp, no software, no conversion going on here. what they've done is model the behavior of every aspect of a tape machine and replicate its behavior, "code" it if you will, using good old fashioned resistors and capacitors.

the demo had two machines, a studer and a 3m, and two tape formulations, 456 and gp9. there are slots for two more of each, and they are working on additional cards to bring us lenny kravitz's tube 4 track from abbey road, as well as any old brand of discontinued, funky tape formula they can get their hands on.

what can i say? i'm on a noisy trade show floor, with headphones, and i can already tell that this box does exactly what i'm used to getting when i tweak the knobs on the studer. everything is here: record level, overbias, lf rec and hf repro, even adjustable hiss (!). i manipulated stereo drums, then electric bass, then upright bass.

it saturates, it levels, it distorts, it de-digitizes, it smooths, it even craps out starting on the bottom of the kick, just like tape. the stereo drums were crunchy to the point of brittleness; i grabbed the hf repro knob, dialed it back, and the harshness completely disappeared.

i would love to get one of these boxes into my room to really run it thru its paces, because i can tell the behavior is all there but i'd like to verify that the tone is as well, and i trust the focals a bit more than headphones; for what it's worth, knowing pendulum audio, i have complete faith that this box sounds as good as it behaves. in any case, these guys are onto something very magical indeed. as a tone maven and colorhound of the first order, this is exactly the kind of weapon i love having in my arsenal. and while i love the studer, the idea of having a 3m, a j37, and mutliple formulas of old tape all available at the flick of a switch has me salivating.

i've seen some cool toys at this show, but this one takes the cake. it's classic, it's vintage, it's state of the art, it's genious. so everybody write to these guys, thank them for using their gifts to better the world of music, and feel free to politely urge them to slip me a unit for in-depth review when it's ready for production . you KNOW you want to hear sound clips!

yeah!

gregoire
del
ubk
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-anamodgregdave.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-anamod1.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-anamod3.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-anamod5.jpg  
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

u b k, thanks for the review on the ATS-1. Knowing that you currently own a Studer, your comments mean alot. I really want one of these now.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

UBK

I'm a newbie at GS, thanks for your great "eye witness" NAMM reportage. I tried Pendulum, AnaMod and ATS---can't find the info. Where do I look for specs etc?

Thanks and looking forward to your next postings......peace..
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

Here you go emkay

http://www.anamodaudio.com/
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

wait... thru the trees... is it???

ah, my sweet babies. these lovely twin 6's are leaving namm and heading directly to my room, and a sub will be following in close tow. i am PSYCHED to hear these bad boys in my space, and to mix thru them. i'll have them side by side with the sm8's, and will be able to get a clear picture of they relate, how they compare, and how they don't.

aside from the wood of the cabinets, which is even more gorgeous than the pictures allow for, they are flexible. with the flick of a switch, you can make the the midrange drivers be the inside pair or the outside. so depending on how far apart you have them in your room, you can set them up the way that works best for your imaging pleasure.

we are priveleged to be alive, my friends, these are sweet times to be creating, designing and selling shrubbery.

gregoire
del
ubk
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-focaljungle.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-twin6angle.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-twin6low.jpg  
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

soundtoys ON LOGIC!

ah yeah! big shout out to the good people at soundtoys, these guys are burning the midnight oil to get these plugs to you in AU format. they're working the show, running the office, taking orders, and working the crowds all day long so that you can enjoy these much-loved processors on your native rig.

so here they are, gushing forth their gooey love all over these intriguing new monitors <cough>, and they are indeed running on logic, i have seen it with mine own two eyes.

it sounds like they are REALLY close to releasing them. they are in beta with apple and that seems to be going smoothly, and there are no crash issues with any of the native daws. if i'm reading things correctly, it looks like 2 weeks is overly optimistic and 6 weeks is a worst case scenario.

sit tight fellas, it's almost here!
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-soundtoysfocal.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-soundtoysscreen.jpg  
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

UBK

you rule
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Sweet! I love the look of SoundToys plugins in a Logic session heh
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Those soundtoys AU look wonderful! woooooohooooo!

thanks u b k for posting
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot for the pics and the info - love it bro! I have to say the new rhodes looks like crap - sorry I had to vent my heart!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I think the new Clavia (NOT new to NAMM) felt more honest to the rhodes legacy. The new Rhodes looks like a chubby rich man Synclavier - I don't think this baby will rock the world - maybe bring up the price on the old rhodes... You can't beat the old!

Excuse my english I'm drunk!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

You want photos? Here you go! This guy took some really nice photos.

http://www.fdiskc.com/syn/namm/2007/index.html
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum, Ralph View Post
Here you go emkay

http://www.anamodaudio.com/

thank you!
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

saturday winds down

well, the lights are about to dim and the masses will exit like a herd of overstimulated antelopes. nttawwt.

tomorrow's the last day, folks, so this is the time to hit me up with any more requests or inquiries. i reckon i'll hit the ssl booth and see what's doing there, maybe bang on some drums.

good night slutz, hope to see some of you at james lugo's this eve.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
tomorrow's the last day, folks, so this is the time to hit me up with any more requests or inquiries. i reckon i'll hit the ssl booth and see what's doing there, maybe bang on some drums.
Please check out the Drumstrip @ SSL while there
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan k View Post
You want photos? Here you go! This guy took some really nice photos.

http://www.fdiskc.com/syn/namm/2007/index.html
I take it you like synths?

Ubik, is Dynaudio showing off the new BM6A MKII & BM12A?
Thanks.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

just stopped at this thread, great u b k !! thanks for the photos & info !

can we see waldorf's booth ?
Old 21st January 2007
Solid State Logic

Come and find me on the booth and I will be happy to take you through all the new stuff :-)
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

UBK,

GREAT GREAT GREAT job covering NAMM. I was there for two days, but spent more time seeing old friends than I did checking out new gear.

BUT

I did see a few things worth mentioning IN A BIG WAY.

First, thanks for pointing out the Greg Gualtieri piece, that Anamod Tape Simulator. That thing is THE BOMB. OFFICIALLY. Guys, I've owned three Studer A827's, as well as some MCI JH24's, then Sony JH24's, along with some vintage Telefunken 2" machines and my trusted ATR102's. I KNOW the sound of tape. And let me tell you, THIS THING NAILS IT. Fully analog, no digital "emulation". Wow. A totally unique and wonderful piece that will REALLY help out in any daw workplace. I can't wait to try it in the studio. And I can't wait to see it next to my pair of Pendulum 6386 units!

Secondly, the new Xenir limiter from Chandler. Wade's a great guy and this is one GREAT piece. More versatile than its predecessor, and more functional. NICE. Thanks, Wade. When can we get one?

Oh, and right next to Pendulum was Cranesong, by the way. Dave Hill has an amazing line up of gear. My three Trakkers look pretty sweet all racked up together (don't worry Dave, there's a nice empty space between each one).

Chris Lord-Alge, who I dragged along to the show, was stunned by all the above pieces and we had also a great hang with EveAnna Manley and her crew. GREAT booth, great vibe and hey, I'd rave about the Manley stuff, but we have tons of it already. I love the Vari-Mu so much that I have two of them in one room. EVERYTHING they make, like the Chandler and the Pendulum stuff, is absolutely top flight, does-not-get-any-better type of stuff.

We also spent a bunch of time at the Waves booth. These guys are making great, great plugs. Mike Fradis, who is one of the main programmers for Waves, goes the distance and makes one tremendous effort to GET IT RIGHT. Obviously, the SSL plugs are first rate and we're having one heck of a time with both the MaxxVolume and V-Series plugs. RIGHT ON. While we were there, my good friends Andrew Schoeps, Ross Hogarth, CJ Vanston and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter dropped by to see what Waves has been up to and we all had a great time visiting while checking out the Waves stuff.

We stopped by the SSL booth and saw the ever-gracious Phil Wagner showing off DrumStrip and all their other great things. Guys, company's don't get any better than SSL from a quality and customer service point of view. I've owned a 1986 E-Series desk for 20+ years now, and Chris couldn't be happier sitting behind that great piece day in and day out.

I also had a great time visiting with Andy Marshall, head of THD Electronics, makers of not only the studio-standard TDH HotPlate, but also some kick *ss guitar amps. OK. I'm a believer. Clean, punchy, crisp. Not today's flavor of the week, but rather timeless Class A electronics brought to guitar amplification.

Really, really interested in Digi's new "Structure" sampler. Guys, I LIVED by SampleCell until Digi discontinued it. I didn't get to see the Structure demo, but from the lit, it seems kick booty. Thanks, Digi, for answering a prayer.

The XBase-999 is THE ultimate analog drum machine. Once again, the XBase-999 is THE ultimate analog drum machine. Brought to you by JoMoX. WOW. WOW. WOW.

The new East West Beatles sound library was amazing. Doug Rogers and his team have outdone themselves here.

While I was at the show, I bought the Italian Grand expansion for Synthogy Ivory.

And I bought two copies of Drumagog. Apparently, this works now with BFD libraries. Kool!

I really want to get back to the show, but I'm taking an out-of-towner for a day of sightseeing tomorrow. Hey, there's always AES in New York in October. And NAMM, 2008.

Great fun this year. Saw lots of friends. Saw some great products.

Even said hey to Jules!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

u b k thanks again for the picture!
Old 21st January 2007
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
UBK,

GREAT GREAT GREAT job covering NAMM. I was there for two days, but spent more time seeing old friends than I did checking out new gear.

damn Resonater...you sound like one connected type dude, and you live in NY? who you is?!?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

GREAT JOB UBK

Since you are so well versed in the Focals, please go and check out the new KRKs with Focal tweeters.

And anything new at ELI?

Thanks for all the info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search