The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
u b k does namm... i am your eyes and ears
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

telefunken & iz (not) in the house

sorry folks, unless i'm gravely mistaken it does not look like telefunken or iz-radar have come to our little party. if anyone knows different, please feel free to correct me.

i'm still trying to find the fender and mackie booths, will report back asap.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

oldie but goodie

i know manley isn't exactly a new and exciting name, but still... i had to post it.
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-bigmanley.jpg  
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

drenched in tone

or so the brochure says for burris amps and pedals. and it's true, these amps sound unbelievably good, pure tubey love. they got the soft crunchy blues model, they got the 50's drenched in verb model, and they got the modern bite disto model. i heard the first two, and the sound was nailed. i just wanted to stick up a ribbon, hit record, there'd be little else to do when it sounds this good at the source.

it's funny, walking around, there are lots of guitars being played, and about 70% are thru some sort of amp sim plugin or hardware. but even around a corner, 30 feet away, you can tell when a guy is playing thru a real amp... the love, the richness and depth.

sorry amplitube... burriss got ya beat, big. and they lean back all by themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-burrissamp.jpg   u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-burrissback.jpg  
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwilliam View Post
That's good to hear. Colin is a great ex-Digi programmer and I know he's been looking for AU developers. It looks like he's found some (or one).

Didn't Colin develop some of the original DigiRack plugins way back?
Colin really is an amazing guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him during 'Digidays' @ Metalworks in Toronto and he really is a genuine brilliant man.

I didn't know he was an ex digi programmer. Wouldn't suprise me if he developed some of the original digirack plugs.

Sorry OT
==================

U B K - Can you tell me what you think of those new mackie VLZ3 mixers if you get a chance? how do they sound for a budget mini-mixer for road use?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

yes indeed, that's a mix knob on the tonelux comp. blend your uncompressed signal back in with the gooey one. the avalon had it, the elysia has it, but mark my words... the presence of this knob on the tonelux will prick the ears of those who design and sell compressery. once you've had parallel compression directly in the signal path, it's really hard to go back.

paul really is a consummate designer who is breaking new ground wit this concept, it's quite a thing to talk with him and hear how zealous he is about eliminating every possible annoyance from a design before it reaches fruition, while squeezing in every desirable function that he reasonably can.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

nice job ubk, keep it coming!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
yes indeed, that's a mix knob on the tonelux comp. blend your uncompressed signal back in with the gooey one. the avalon had it, the elysia has it, but mark my words... the presence of this knob on the tonelux will prick the ears of those who design and sell compressery. once you've had parallel compression directly in the signal path, it's really hard to go back.

paul really is a consummate designer who is breaking new ground wit this concept, it's quite a thing to talk with him and hear how zealous he is about eliminating every possible annoyance from a design before it reaches fruition, while squeezing in every desirable function that he reasonably can.

gregoire
del
ubk
The Focusrite ISA220 does this also- (since 2002?)
Pity the compressor is TOTALLY transparent. :-)
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi,

Please, tell us what's new from Waves ?

V-Series Bundle for sale later this this year (without that Mercury...) ?

And please ask them about the L4 scheduled for this year (that's what they said in an email).

Thanks mate,
Julien
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Ubk,

nice reporting! if soundtoys is around can you ask them about au versions of their plug-ins. a few months ago they told me they were working on it for early 07.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey u b k,

If you're by the Universal Audio booth: price and availability of the 2-LA-2?

Thanks either way.

Have fun!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hello UBK,

Great thread!

I know you are a true slut on the 500 series prowel. Lets see some 500 series modules!

Also, swing on by the father of the 500 format....the API booth and see what the heck the deal is with the new 8 buss 1604 console, the 1608? Some of us want to leave the land of the "Mini-Me" 8200/7800 and get a real, new, old, mojo-makin' desk!

Keep up the great work! Remember...you are our eyes and ears!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey Gregoire, thanks a bunch for bringing us along with you. Too cool man.

Is there a Baby Pearlman (TM-2?) crawling around the floor at NAMM? I'm excited for this mic considering it's pedigree and pricepoint. Guess that's probably the wrong venue for checking one out though! Have a blast u b k-

jeffP
Old 19th January 2007
U B K any new and cool summing boxes?

U B K any new and cool summing boxes? pricing?

thanks for your info!!!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Is there a Baby Pearlman (TM-2?) crawling around the floor at NAMM?
Dave Pearlman does not have a booth this year. If he brought his mics, he will most likely be at the A-Designs booth with Peter Montessi.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiummusic View Post
If he brought his mics, he will most likely be at the A-Designs booth with Peter Montessi.
Nice neighborhood.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Ubik!

Nice work so far mate, a career in media awaits.

It may not have tubes, transformer, or emulate tape, but if you find the Mackie Booth can you report back on the new Mackie Control Pro range? Does it look as funny in white as the Harmony Central pictures make it look?

At least it will match my Apple if I decide to buy an iMac.

heath.

PS. New Rhodes!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

just saw the other thread announcing soundtoys au. thumbsup
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Cool Gregoire..look forward to meeting you on SAt

The things I've seen and heard that i really like so far:

Bricasti Verb.
Made by an ex Lexicon engineer..
5 times the DSP of a G5.
500 times the DSP of a 480L
not enough presets made yet to make a decision.But it could be a goer.
Smooth as butta baby
hope they get a fully working version going soon.
Thanks for the v thorough demo,very cool.thumbsup

Tonelux Module comp..thumbsup
to hell with the distressor mini modules..
this one is gonna be way cool
the mix knob and feed forward/backwards blend knobs

Chandler Zener limiter..
Already saw it at AES...but today i really got play with it..
Way cooler version of the TG-1
I'm ordering one ..
Say hello to my new drumbuss comp
gimme,gimme,gimmethumbsup

The new Digi tape emulation thingy..sounded suprisingly cool...
ah what hell..I'll prolly buy it.
Haven't heard the tape delay or flanger..maybe on sunday I'll have a go..

Always fun to hang with the gear Wierdo's/genious'es...Wade, Pete Reardon,Paul Wolff
The Chandler /Tonelux booth was my fav spot.
Especially after they set up a host bar right in front of it
An Analog oasis in the midlle of the digital desert

Hmmm. ..Maybe I'll go back on sunday
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
The Chandler /Tonelux booth was my fav spot.
Especially after they set up a host bar right in front of it.

LOL, we must've been two feet away from each other and didn't know it .

i am with you 5000%, the zener limiter is the smoothest, fattest, most delectable drum comp i've ever heard, ever. it doesn't hurt that it's drop dead gorgeous as well.

i will own one by year's end, even if it means living with one less kidney.

can we get wade to do a germ pre for the tonelux rig?

for those who don't have the pleasure of hearing this puppy alchemize the room and the drums into one homogenous mass of buttery love, i give you the zener...
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-zener2.jpg  
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

2 la-2a

here's the beast in question, not as sexy as the classic la2a imo but sometimes utility has to take precedent. and it's still pretty sexy, all things considered.

the ua booth was silent, no sound anywhere, but all the vu's on the various compressors were slowly dancing to their own music, none seeming to have any relation to the other. their stuff looks so classic and classy, it's hard to not want two of each.

i'll try to get more specific pricing and date info tomorrow. for now, you'll have to settle for a headshot.
Attached Thumbnails
u b k  does namm... i am your eyes and ears-2la2a.jpg  
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

good night, see y'all tomorrow

this crazy day is over, 3 more to go. my ears and soul are grateful for the er-15's that stay planted in my ears from the moment i arrive at namm until the moment my hotel room door closes behind me at night. my voice is hoarse from shouting all day just to have conversations, and my feet are glad to be propped up on a comfy chair.

take heart everyone, i have a list of every request made on this thread and i will get to them all come hell or high water. this place is huge, so organizing my outings takes more and more planning as the requests have me going farther and farther from homebase.

good night fellow slutz, may the muse keep you all in good company.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

cool thanks ubk ...
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

yeah bro
kudos to you
thanks a bunch!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

could you check out the eventide stompbox? the website for it seems to be down.
Old 19th January 2007
Nice.....more piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiix please!!

Say hello to JOE for me over at the Fairlight booth !
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

id really love some sound examples of the zenir. hopefully sonic state or harmony-central will get a demo vid
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
id really love some sound examples of the zenir. hopefully sonic state or harmony-central will get a demo vid
I gather it's basically the TG-1 sound, based on Zener diodes, but then with more controls, and more flexible, so more useable in productions. That is what put me off the TG-1: the all or nothing approach.
Old 19th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
Hey u b k,

If you're by the Universal Audio booth: price and availability of the 2-LA-2?

Thanks either way.

Have fun!
Dittto, but I think I asked you about checking into this for me already. Too bad you couldn't really play with the 2-LA-2A yet. Hopefully soon.

Bummer about Telefunken not being there as I really want info on their new directional ribbon mic and that ELA M260 sdc tube condenser looks cool and it can accpet BLUE/RED lollipop capsules too.

Thanks for doing this Greg.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, u b k...

In the spirit of the title of your post (and in the spirit of James Bond), would you be kind enough to provide the following service:

Would you stop by the Apple booth once again, identify an employee to your liking, arrange to meet them after hours in your hotel room where you feed them strawberries, champagne, and irresistably witty tales from prior trade shows. And then, with the lights dimmed, you consummate the seduction, and as you lay there following its completion, nibbling on what's left of the strawberries and each other, waxing poetic in hushed tones, please find out and report back on WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH LOGIC 8!!!

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey guys, are those new dynaudio speakers there on display? The BM6A MKII and BM12A. If so please ask for availability.
Thanks for doing this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search