The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaPlate. $50. Available Now.
Old 9th November 2015
ValhallaDSP

ValhallaPlate. $50. Available Now.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-plate/

Now updated to Version 1.5.0. 5 new reverb modes added!

ValhallaPlate is our algorithmic take on the classic plate reverberation sound. Twelve original algorithms emulate the sound and behavior of real world steel plate reverbs, and take the sound into dimensions that physical plates can’t touch.

ValhallaPlate realistically models the physics of plate reverbs:
  • High diffusion, for reverbs that have maximally high echo density.
  • Frequency dependent decay time, for huge lows and clear highs, under the control of a single Decay parameter.
  • Dispersion, for creating 3D imaging in the decay. The reverb comes from outside the speakers, and decays into the depths behind the speakers.

ValhallaPlate extends the plate reverb into dimensions that real plates can’t reach:
  • Variable size, to control how metallic a reverb mode sounds. Small sizes result in more metallic delays, while larger sizes sound clearer.
  • Lush modulation, that eliminates any metallic artifacts, while retaining the pitch of the input.

Twelve original reverberation algorithms (5 new reverb algorithms in Version 1.5.0):
  • Four reverb modes (Chrome, Steel, Brass, Cobalt) that emulate “true stereo” plates, with 2 input drivers and 2 output pickups.
  • Three reverb modes (Adamantium, Titanium, Osmium) that emulate the traditional mono-in, stereo-out plates. These modes have the resonance density found in real plate reverberators.
  • Five reverb modes (Aluminum, Copper, Unobtanium, Radium, Lithium) that combine the 3D dispersive characteristics of steel plates with the high resonance density found in reverberation chambers.
  • All of the modes can be run as a mono-in/mono-out, mono-in/stereo-out, or stereo-in/stereo-out plugin.

ValhallaPlate builds upon the Valhalla DSP plugin heritage:
  • Minimalist, resizable 2D GUI, with self-documenting tool tip area.
  • A comprehensive preset browser makes saving, recalling and sharing settings easy.
  • Fully compatible with 32 and 64 bit DAWs (32/64 bit VST for OSX and Windows, 32/64 bit Audio Units for OSX, 32-bit RTAS for OSX and Windows, 64-bit AAX for OSX and Windows).
  • Low CPU, so you can use all the instances you need without your computer slowing down

$50. Available now to demo/purchase at valhalladsp.com.

Last edited by seancostello; 25th February 2016 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Officially updated to 1.5.0
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Congrats @ Sean Costello on this release. I believe this will be a no-brainer taking in consideration of the legacy sound of your other masterpiece reverb plugins & the very affordable price & quality product you got ;-) Can't wait to try this one out

Best
Old 9th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

BOOOOYEAH Sean! big love :-)
Old 9th November 2015
Rad. Even as I find myself relying more and more on my DAW's built-in compressors, EQ, gate, etc, the Valhalla plugs are still the first thing I reach for when I need a reverb.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Nice, congrats! Love the gui (and am sure the sound will deliver as usual!!)
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear
How does this compare to the plates in your other reverbs?
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Excited about this! A question if you don't mind, i reinstalled Übermod and no presets show up. How do I get them back?
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Sean, would this be your highly customized take on the EMT 140? If so, is there a setting that aims to capture the organic grittiness of the original? Thanks.
Old 9th November 2015
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
How does this compare to the plates in your other reverbs?
The plate algorithms in the other Valhalla DSP plugins are "digital" plates. In other words, they are from the school of "hey, this is bright, kinda metallic, and has a fast attack. Let's call it a plate!"

ValhallaPlate is based on the analysis and theory of physical, steel plates. Mainly the EMT140.

I talk about the physics of real plates in a blog post:

https://valhalladsp.com/2015/11/08/t...ics-of-plates/

Physical plates have some unique characteristics:

- Dispersion. The speed of sound in a plate varies by frequency. This can result in a "PEW! PEW!" laser gun sound for impulsive inputs, like snare drums, although you don't hear much of this in a well-tuned EMT140. More importantly, the dispersion contributes to a HUGE stereo image, where you hear the sound coming from outside and behind the speakers.

- INSTANT attack

- INSTANT echo density.

- Not really a metallic sound, considering that it is a freaking metal plate. The combination of instant attack, instant build of echo density, and not really metallic sound, is hard to get in conventional digital reverb algorithms.

- A complicated relationship between decay time and frequency. Low frequencies can ring out for far longer than the displayed decay time. High frequencies tend to have a fairly short decay time, no matter what the decay setting of the plate is at.

- Decay time dependent equalization curve.

My goal in ValhallaPlate was to emulate all of the qualities I loved in steel plate reverbs, while adding some unique stuff (much longer maximum decay time, the ability to dial up much higher resonance density for smoother sounds, lush modulation that can be turned off for realistic plate sounds).
Old 9th November 2015
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Excited about this! A question if you don't mind, i reinstalled Übermod and no presets show up. How do I get them back?
FAQ | Valhalla DSP
Old 9th November 2015
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
Sean, would this be your highly customized take on the EMT 140? If so, is there a setting that aims to capture the organic grittiness of the original? Thanks.
This is absolutely my take on the EMT140. The default setting should sound very EMT140-ish. I would also recommend switching to Cobalt mode, and setting the SIZE between 50 and 100%, if you want a somewhat grittier EMT140 (Cobalt was dialed in to be close to an EMT140 we tested at Avast Recording).
Old 9th November 2015
Airwindows

NICE. I listened to the Youtube video

This is totally a plate (i.e. not like your other verbs) but it's got that seamless fluid Valhalla texture. Great stuff!
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
This is absolutely my take on the EMT140. The default setting should sound very EMT140-ish. I would also recommend switching to Cobalt mode, and setting the SIZE between 50 and 100%, if you want a somewhat grittier EMT140 (Cobalt was dialed in to be close to an EMT140 we tested at Avast Recording).
Apologies, i posted before exploring your very detailed and helpful website description and posts. Thanks for this, very excited to try and pretty sure it's a no brainer. Thanks for doing this, it's very much appreciated (and needed).
Old 9th November 2015
Congratulations! This is going to be awesome!

I tried to make a plate reverb once. Used an old metal clothes rack as the frame, a sheet of metal I found in skip at a building site, 2 contact mics and an old radio speaker. Suffice to say it didn't sound like the EMT140... to be honest it didn't really sound like any actual plate reverb.

Luckily Sean is here to save the day! Looking forward to checking out ValhallaPlate...

- Hugo
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

looks nice
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

This can be purchased without even listening.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

It's a great time to be alive if you're a fan of reverbs!

Fantastic!
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear
Instabuy
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

no need to demo...bought!
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Addict

Congratulations Sean! Been hunting for some plate reverb goodness. Will definitely check this out.

How long will the intro price last? Just refreshing not to have to play that game. Hats off to you.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

AMustBuy!
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

This thing is killer. I got to beta test it and it just sounds essential right upon instantiation. Kind of what was missing for me in the plugin world, even with all of the great reverbs we have available now.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear
I bought every other Valhalla plugin without a demo (Shimmer is still one of my most favorite "fx"). I am actually trying the demo of this TRYING to hate it so I can save my pennies.......

Darn you Sean, this sounds great, even put up against my Nebula verbs.....
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Perfect!
It's like you're reading my mind, scary
Straight to the shop now
A.

PS: might well be my favourite Valhalla GUI so far!

Last edited by Andy_bt; 9th November 2015 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Addict

came very close to buying this before hearing it at all, but ended up watching the video... then buying it.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Head

Saw the announcement on FB... literally exclaimed "hurray yeah!!!" and bought it.

Valhalla is THE best.

thanks for the hard work Sean.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Wow… nice!
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

I played with it for roughly half an hour and I compared it with the UAD EMT 140. I have been able to dial in some settings on both plugin that sounded so alike, I couldn't tell them apart. The UAD EMT 140 has always been my favorite plate reverb, no other reverb plugin (that I tried) impressed me as much (or more) when it comes to the plate reverb sound. ValhallaPlate is the first native plate reverb that I think could totally replace the UAD plate. However, for me there is no need to replace it so I will keep on using the UAD plate. Anyway, good job Sean, I think you made an awesome new reverb plugin!

I might change my mind and buy it anyway.. one day.. who knows.

Last edited by Solidtrax; 9th November 2015 at 10:11 PM..
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Guru
Shoot just had told my wife I'm all set with plug ins. Hmmmmm.........How do I sneak this one past her........
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

SEAN! STOP IT!!!!!!! Stop making plugins we just have to buy!!!

📝 Reply