The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx AES16e PCI Express card!
Old 14th May 2008
  #241
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmad69 View Post
And all the other terms work as well.

I thought it was a case issue so I tried ropout Dropout dropout,etc.


Maybe the search engine database was corrupted because the

Term appears so often....
Maybe it's become a dirty word around there and got caught in a search filter, or it's been searched so many times the system flagged it as spam..

(Kind of like "Viagra" or "erectile dysfunction"..)

In any event, I'll wait and see what's going on, and if the user feedback is good, I'll order one.. I do like Lynx's products so I'll wait for more info.
Old 14th May 2008
  #242
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

That IS odd that the search is broken so that it JUST ignores the word dropout. Everything else works, including "Cubase" and "UAD", as well as any substring of dropout.

Personally I've never had anything but good support and overall solid performance from Lynx, but I'm not a UAD or Cubase user, so maybe I'm lucky.

Regards,

John
Old 14th May 2008
  #243
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteRotie View Post
That IS odd that the search is broken so that it JUST ignores the word dropout. Everything else works, including "Cubase" and "UAD", as well as any substring of dropout.

Personally I've never had anything but good support and overall solid performance from Lynx, but I'm not a UAD or Cubase user, so maybe I'm lucky.

Regards,

John
No, it's highly improbable. The database would likely either return errors if a table was corrupt, or the entire search would not work.

That being said, if any asp expert wants to help them troubleshoot their forum gremlin, here ya go: Web Wiz Forums - Free Bulletin Board System (BBS), Forum Software

Maybe someone can find a "similar" problem someone is having with the webwiz formum .

Web Wiz Forums - Powered by Web Wiz Forums™
Old 15th May 2008
  #244
Gear Addict
 

Arrow

David and Paul,

Lying won't help you.

It's time to hire an expert who knows how to write proper code. You guys can obviously make decent hardware. Without great software to run it on XP, you're done for.

Quit bringing out new cards before you have fixed the problems with the ones you have been selling for several years.

Anyone struggling along with a Lynx AES-16 should be getting a recall notification email from Lynx. This card simply does not work.

Get your **** together Lynx!

And fast.
Old 15th May 2008
  #245
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Just have to say, with my G5, the Lynx PCI card has been the single most stable thing about my computer in the 3 years I've owned it. Everything else, firewire interfaces galore, Powercore, UAD-1 have all been hell on earth for at least a little while. The Lynx PCI card hasn't had 1 problem ever.

Hope the windows/new card stuff gets worked out.
Old 15th May 2008
  #246
Lives for gear
 

Alright, I've been waiting for this fricking thing for a while now but i'm holding off until the problems get hashed out. I suppose If I'm successfully running one
aes16src I may just go ahead and get the non pciexpress version.
Old 16th May 2008
  #247
Deleted c40a31f
Guest
OK Mulder and the Smoking Gun trio (Skully would have known better ), you can move on to something that's an actual conspiracy now!

For some reason the word DROP doesn't work with the Web Wiz Forums version 7.92 software, which is what Lynx was using. Today Lynx updated to the newest version (version 9.xx) and you can now search for and easily find every post that has to do with drop outs, dropouts, dropped packets, dropping drawers, drop kicked, eye dropper and dropsy!

If you don't believe me go to Ernest Hemingway Message Boards (they use Web Wiz 7.92) and do a search on DROP (no hits) and then ROP (lots of hits).

Now, unless the people who run this forum about Ernest Hemingway's life have some sinister motive to try to make people think no one has reported dropouts . . . I'd say that there may need to be some apologies posted here for what was a shocking and fascinating discovery but was just a Web Wiz programming bug that Lynx was innocently oblivious to.
Old 16th May 2008
  #248
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
For some reason the word DROP doesn't work with the Web Wiz Forums version 7.92 software, which is what Lynx was using.

If you don't believe me go to Ernest Hemingway Message Boards (they use Web Wiz 7.92) and do a search on DROP (no hits) and then ROP (lots of hits).
Amazing find!

Very strange that Ernest Hemingway board will search on keyword "drip" but not "drop". It's just the letter "i" vs "o" ?!?!

I've done some web programming before and I can't even imagine of a way to fabricate this type of bug, unless it was deliberate. But there it is.
Old 16th May 2008
  #249
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
For some reason the word DROP doesn't work with the Web Wiz Forums version 7.92 software, which is what Lynx was using.

I knew the truth was out there....

Regards,

John
Old 16th May 2008
  #250
Lives for gear
 
DAWgEAR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
OK Mulder and the Smoking Gun trio (Skully would have known better ), you can move on to something that's an actual conspiracy now!

For some reason the word DROP doesn't work with the Web Wiz Forums version 7.92 software, which is what Lynx was using. Today Lynx updated to the newest version (version 9.xx) and you can now search for and easily find every post that has to do with drop outs, dropouts, dropped packets, dropping drawers, drop kicked, eye dropper and dropsy!

If you don't believe me go to Ernest Hemingway Message Boards (they use Web Wiz 7.92) and do a search on DROP (no hits) and then ROP (lots of hits).

Now, unless the people who run this forum about Ernest Hemingway's life have some sinister motive to try to make people think no one has reported dropouts . . . I'd say that there may need to be some apologies posted here for what was a shocking and fascinating discovery but was just a Web Wiz programming bug that Lynx was innocently oblivious to.
Nice work, John.

I verified your finding at another forum using version 7.92 as well. It has nothing to do with Lynx. This X-File is closed.

Apologies.
Old 16th May 2008
  #251
Gear Maniac
 
drmad69's Avatar
 

Yeah, drop is probably a reserved sql keyword.

And I know at one point; I guess they were running different software;

drop did work as a keyword.



But the fallout from this co-incidence is that dozens apon dozens of users

have been fighting the same problem and can't see each others comments...


This does *not* however; get lynx off the hook; because supposedly

they read every message.


They knew about the problems alot time ago.

And what has been asked for; several times and not received is

an official response/dialog on the issue.


You can sticky it, but it in pauls comments thing or whatever.

A sticky or a absolutely unmistakably noticeable place on the website is needed.


the time for protecting intellectually property is long long.


The statement needs to cover the dropouts, the tineline of the issue and those

that compliment it.


It's not hard; and obviously; why isn't completely obvious is beyond me.

You're co-founder for #$%$% sake david. You can make that call.


It needs to discuss the time frame; what's been fixed ; like the gui memory leak,

in a straightforward english manner that all current and potential users can

follow.


The driver notes are not complete enough; they are vague; and you know

at least half of the users are computer savvy.. write it for them.

The music users just need know you're sugar coated summary.


The time frame needs to include where you're at; If you guys are still

under the honest impression that you're code is not at fault and 50%

of your users have dropout generating systems; then for #$%#%$ SAKE

get the approved configurations in that sticky. The time for being

"MB" agnostic is gone.

The users *MUST* have a reference system.. For that matter
( I can't remember if one exists in the PD yet.) but a #$%#$%ing
virtual driver for perfection situation testing should be offered then.

Give me a generic freaking host dummy driver I can stick in my system.
(Or suggest one that exists. that is ASIO)

And I'll test that; Don't continue to hide the statistics window; Tell people
about the reported issues with more than 1 card. Yes I know;
paul and "a couple other" people have 4 cards working. Fine;
but that was supposed to be in a 2895 and you have a user reporting
the issue on it.

You *MUST* come to grips with the fact that if this is truly (NOT) you're
problem (which is what was claimed *OVER* and *OVER* again but 50% of your customer base either mis configuring or having
what ends up being generally incompatible systems is going to be your
bad and your problem.

*SOMETHING* in the hardware/driver combination is *EXTREMELY* untolerable
to dropouts; You have admitted this with release of your beta driver;
BUT FOR $#%T#%^#%^ SAKE, make a STICKY AND EX PLAINT IT.

DONT CONTINUE TO BE ELUSIVE AND EXCLUSIVE; you are inconsistant between
even the two of you. COME CLEAN AND TAKE THE BLOWS AND SOLVE THE
#$^%#$% PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL.

You know; IM CRAZY TO SAY THIS AFTER THE HUNDREDS of HOURS I've
spent on it. But I would actually consider trying them again if
you came clean and SAID WHAT WAS WRONG AND STICKY IT!
Old 16th May 2008
  #252
Deleted c40a31f
Guest
Old 16th May 2008
  #253
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
man i need a few of those!!!!!!
Old 17th May 2008
  #254
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Excellent. That's very weird, but good news that it's sorted out.

I ordered my card the other day already after deciding that it would probably be fine, so there's my apology for being wary..
Old 18th May 2008
  #255
Gear Addict
 

Lynx...you've been warned...pay close attention.

I know the pain everyone who bought the Lyx AES-16 card are feeling.

I lost my mind and a year of my life trying to get it to work on 6 different powerful machines all of which were fully tweaked and optimized according to each DAW that I tried to get working. Samplitude and Cubase gave me so much trouble with dropouts at any of the buffer settings, using any of the Lynx drivers. I then moved on to other DAW programs but none work rock solid with the Lynx AES-16.

There are dropouts in the audio recording and as a result, in some DAWs that do not report the dropouts or have processes built in to mask the audible results of those dropouts, you get out of sync when you drop samples ont he tracks that dropped out during the recording of simultaneous tracks forcing them to be out of sync with the ones that did not drop out. That's a huge issue.

It's time that David Hoatson just swallows his pride and gets his hands off the software development and hire a master coder. Get someone from a very reputable source, possibly from another company within the industry and get them fast. Before your comapny sinks like the Titanic.

It's amazing how many low end, consumer level soundcards out on the market made by companies like, Echo Audio, Line 6, Roland and EMU work flawlessly.

You'd think a company selling high end convertor technology at $3000 a pop could come up with a card interface for it that isn't plagued with gremlins when there are hundreds of cards out there costing less than $300 that work flawlessly?

Hey Lynx,

If you are going to sell your Aurora 16 like it's a turn key product when combined with the AES-16 cards, you had better make certain that the cards work flawlessly before shipping otherwise not only will you not have a turn key system to offer but no one will buy your convertor technology in the future when they learn that you can't even make a simple soundcard. Then you will have nothing.

tutt
Old 18th May 2008
  #256
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland View Post
I know the pain everyone who bought the Lyx AES-16 card are feeling.

I lost my mind and a year of my life trying to get it to work on 6 different powerful machines all of which were fully tweaked and optimized according to each DAW that I tried to get working.

tutt

Get a Mac!
Old 19th May 2008
  #257
Gear Maniac
 
drmad69's Avatar
 

Actually; a repro on the mac would be *very* informative.

It's a different driver.

If I still had my cards around I would try it on osx 10.5.2 on the pc.


But the firmare is even different so; if any of the several issues
could be repo'd on the mac; that would be high interesting.

I'm not so sure the worlds any better on the mac side.
Old 19th May 2008
  #258
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
It's amazing how many low end, consumer level soundcards out on the market made by companies like, Echo Audio, Line 6, Roland and EMU work flawlessly.
I dunno hey,

Changing from my emu 1820m to my lynxtwo seriously changed my life in a better way, firstly because of driver issues and secondly because of sound... i can't imagine a more useless card than the emu..
Old 21st May 2008
  #259
I have spoken with the Lynx guy, who is posting around here at AES in Amsterdam.

they are working on a patch for this particular problem (they have a betadriver and will release it soon).

he said, that most of the users have no problems.. so it might be worth for the one who have problems, to try out the new driver when it's released.

cheers
Old 21st May 2008
  #260
Lives for gear
 
True North's Avatar
 

The problem seem to be exasperated on higher end systems like Dual Quads. Perhaps it is incompatability with certain MOBO's but there is definitely an issue with their drivers and firmware.

I Love their convertors but my AES16's are going up on ebay, I have returned the pair of AES16e's that I received and I have already purchased a pair of RME cards. Let you know how it goes, cheers!!
Old 21st May 2008
  #261
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
I have returned the pair of AES16e's that I received and I have already purchased a pair of RME cards. Let you know how it goes, cheers!!
So you're saying that the problems you had with your AES-16 continued when you installed the AES-16e? Are you Mac or PC?

Also, is the RME card actually available? The Express version that is.
Old 22nd May 2008
  #262
Lives for gear
 
True North's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
So you're saying that the problems you had with your AES-16 continued when you installed the AES-16e? Are you Mac or PC?
That is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Also, is the RME card actually available? The Express version that is.
No, I ended up buying the PCI version - its time tested and proven
From all accounts they work and the mixer routing is superior to the Lynx.

I actually had minimal problems with my AES16's until I moved to a new MOBO/Dual Quad xeon Rig. If you are only using one card it is not a bad option for many systems, it just wasn't working for me anymore. I just think these are more finnicky to work with. They work better on some MOBO's than others. Out of the 3 PCI slots on my MOBO the AES16 cards only works on one of the slots. Synching up units makes it even trickier.

I heard from the RME forum that they will have the PCI version ready for June sometime. They are currently in production. They are going to going for about $1100 / $1200 USD so I was in no hurry to Beta test. After my experience with AES16e I personally think that alot of companies are overhyping the performance angle for PCIe cards.
Old 25th May 2008
  #263
Gear Maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 

Thumbs down Lynx AES16e

This PCIe card crashed my Mac computer many times today. The AES mixer doesn't work and there is no output signal from this card at all. I am trying to use it with the Aurora 16 and there is no playback. I am afraid to click the Lynx mixer icon because the CPU fans rotate a very high speeds. The computer locks-up and then it shuts down all by itself. There seem to be a very serious problem with the drivers. This computer is a dual PPC G5 and we never seen it behave like this before.

I am going to return this whole package for a refund. Maybe the Apogee symphony system will work for me. If I have problems with apogee, I am forced to go HD. I cannot believe that this is happening from Lynx. I am done messing around with this card.

The end.
Old 25th May 2008
  #264
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
This PCIe card crashed my Mac computer many times today. The AES mixer doesn't work and there is no output signal from this card at all. I am trying to use it with the Aurora 16 and there is no playback. I am afraid to click the Lynx mixer icon because the CPU fans rotate a very high speeds. The computer locks-up and then it shuts down all by itself. There seem to be a very serious problem with the drivers. This computer is a dual PPC G5 and we never seen it behave like this before.

I am going to return this whole package for a refund. Maybe the Apogee symphony system will work for me. If I have problems with apogee, I am forced to go HD. I cannot believe that this is happening from Lynx. I am done messing around with this card.

The end.
Hi Big Al, could you give us info on your setup?
I too have the latest generation G5, dual 2.3 ghz, and was contemplating getting the AES16e soon, I'm running Cubase 4 and have one UAD1e card.

Thanks

Jean
Old 25th May 2008
  #265
Lives for gear
 
mmcfarlane's Avatar
 

I received my Lynx AES16e last week and I have had a couple flawless recording sessions. I'm running an Aurora16 through the AES16e at 48K. I have no other cards installed and no external firewire devices,. The AES16e is connected to a 2GHz dual CPU Intel Mac Pro tower.

A a separate test I recorded 8 tracks from a drum machine for 1.5 hours at a 192 buffer setting under Cubase 4 and Leopard OSX without a drop out. (normally I record under Tiger) At 48K you need to add 28 samples of extra delay not reported by the driver, 52 samples at 96K.

I used Cubase's Control Room mixer to create the headphone mix. It worked like a charm. I think I am really going to like the Control Room feature. I'm now mixerless and loving the extra space.

If I add effects the buffer size has to go up, obviously, or turning on Cubase's delay compensation seems to work, but I haven't thoroughly tested everything yet.

The digital out meters in the Lynx Mixer appear to max out a long time before the Stereo LR meters in Cubase (set to post-panner, hold forever), and I have a few other Lynx Mixer metering peculiarities I need to figure out, but so far its a keeper. For example, when the Digital Out 5 (one headphone feed) meter on the Lynx mixer output page goes into the red the headphones distort. The first red bar is something like -18dbfs, so it shouldn't distort. Setting this channels Lynx mixer fader at -18 seems to cure the problem but it shouldn't distort at -18dbfs.

Anyone else seen metering peculiarities in the Lynx mixer?
Old 25th May 2008
  #266
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
I cannot believe that this is happening from Lynx. I am done messing around with this card.

The end.
I looked at their forum; one guy had clicks with the card (@ buffer 512!), another had unspecified noise, and yours just doesn't work...
Old 25th May 2008
  #267
Lives for gear
 
flute player's Avatar
 

The more I read the post about the troubles everyone has the more I get the creebs if my card will work or not.
I talked to Paul at the AES too and for that moment I was convinced that the problems were solved.
But on a booth they certainly won't talk about problems with any of their products.
There is indeed a beta version coming up but I wonder if it was the pressure of releasing a non 100% ready product.
I think they had the drivers allmost done and wanted to give it a shot.
They must have thought to please people with an answer of the beta coming up when problems did occur.
And they do, now it seems not to be working in some cases.
Very bad strategy in my opinion because a lot of people won't buy it now it is such a mess.
And Lynx has allways had to keep up high a big reputation.
Lynx must do something within a few weeks here to solve it.
If it's the software then release a good working beta.
If it's the card don't wait to long and organize a fair solution before to have a total recall.


Greetz,


Paul
Old 25th May 2008
  #268
Gear Maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Hi Big Al, could you give us info on your setup?
I too have the latest generation G5, dual 2.3 ghz, and was contemplating getting the AES16e soon, I'm running Cubase 4 and have one UAD1e card.

Thanks

Jean
I really want to just through in the towel, but I will try to be helpful for everyone.

This computer is a Dual PPC G5 Mac 2.3 Ghz. The OSX is 10.4.11. There is nothing wrong with this machine, but when we installed the Lynx driver, this machine will crash from time to time. The only card installed is the factory video card and a UAD1 card. I even took out the UAD card to make shure that there is no conflicts with cards. This Lynx stuff just don't playback audio. The Lynx mixer don't do anything. The Lynx mixer does detect the Aurora16 digital input via digital cable, but the Lynx mixer sometimes will not switch over from internal clocking of the AES16e. For some reason, it always want to use the internal clocking from the card and not from the Aurora. Sometime it will reads the Aurora clock, but most of the time, the Lynx mixer wants to just stay locked-in to the clock from the card. I can go on and on.....

There is no playback from anything on the desktop. How do you like that? We spend 2 full days trying to get this card to work. I am done with it!!!!!!

The end.
Old 25th May 2008
  #269
Gear Maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane View Post
I received my Lynx AES16e last week and I have had a couple flawless recording sessions. I'm running an Aurora16 through the AES16e at 48K. I have no other cards installed and no external firewire devices,. The AES16e is connected to a 2GHz dual CPU Intel Mac Pro tower.

A a separate test I recorded 8 tracks from a drum machine for 1.5 hours at a 192 buffer setting under Cubase 4 and Leopard OSX without a drop out. (normally I record under Tiger) At 48K you need to add 28 samples of extra delay not reported by the driver, 52 samples at 96K.
Maybe the card is best coded for the Leopard with the Intel Mac. Before the people buy, they need to figure it all out because we have the full version of Cubase, Logic, Abelton Live and Reason to name a few. However, Quick Time, iTunes and all of the other freebies don't playback anything either. Everything works fine with Core Audio enabled though.
Old 27th May 2008
  #270
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Great, I've got a new mac pro and aes16e on the way to interface with 2 aurora 16's on a separate HD rig.

I hope this doesn't become a major pain in the ass..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump