The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
Old 30th October 2015
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM

Hi folks! I'm so happy after yesterday's Audio Legend's announcement to reveal another product we are showing at AES 2015.

We previewed the Virtual Microphone System at the 2014 NAMM, a product that recreates the sound of several vintage microphones and preamps through the means of using reference quality hardware and digital signal processing.

Unfortunately, we paused the project soon after that preview so that we could update all of our plugins to AAX (at the time our team was half the size). But I'm very proud to tell you that last year we resumed the VMS, and it is done. And it is great! We will be shipping in December and many dealers who sell Slate are taking orders. For the Microphone, the preamp, and the software, it's only $999.

The mics we used for the VMS are some of the VERY best of their class, and their owner is one of the world's biggest gear collectors, but he also has some of the best ears in the biz. We visited him last week to FINALLY show him the VMS, and he wanted to compare his U47/1073 combo to our FG47 emulation through our FG73 emulations. You'll soon hear from the man himself about what the results were.

So anyway, here is our official new launch video with several new audio examples and feature presentations, hope you enjoy, and please come see the VMS as we have several amazing artist singing through it LIVE at booth 137!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear
Sick. Who are your Canadian dealers?

Never mind. found them!
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear
Can you go into more detail on the limitations? I am assuming its just cardiod but what else? Very cool that its mimicking proximity based on the virtual microphone.

Hows this with dynamics? Ribbon?
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Does anyone know which three mics these are modelling?
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Awesome! Been looking forward to this since it was first announced in 2014

I take it that's a C800G, not a C800, right?
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Amazing!

Will there be provision for other mic patterns?

What about ribbons and dynamics?

-
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear
Great product! Great price!
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Steven, where can I preorder one?
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Looks great and I'm getting one!

The rack mountable option with the additional mics looked better though. What happened to that!?
Old 30th October 2015
Here for the gear

The real question is WHEN WILL BE AVIALABLE? please just don´t tell me soon!
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting product. Since this has a software component, what will the return policy be?
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
Sick. Who are your Canadian dealers?

Never mind. found them!
Hey looking for canadian dealers, which did you find?
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkilamande View Post
Hey looking for canadian dealers, which did you find?
Long and mcquade and studio ekonomik (no idea how to spell it). There is a third also. Slate site has the info.
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Third one is mediamusique
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Hey Steven. It certainly looks slick and the examples you give seem to sound nice. But — unless I misunderstood — you mention in the vid that it mimics the off-axis response, which is something the examples obviously don't show. I'm struggling to understand how that can be the case from a cardioid mic. Can you tell us a bit more about that side of things? It's not a deal-breaker — looks useful just as a vox mic/strip if nothing else —*but I'm intrigued by this...
Cheers, Matt
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Addict

Okay ... new thread I see. To repeat myself :

I could hear a difference for the 251's, but not a $29.000 difference
It's a pity the mics and preamps need their own racks though. Now you have to use up 2 racks for a big (but beautiful) picture and two knobs instead of having this together like it was in the first previews (see below)

Old 30th October 2015
Here for the gear

Sounds fantastic! I'm curious though: how high bandwidth is the ML1 actually? Any frequency response specs you can share?
Old 30th October 2015
Another thread for the same exact product. Why aren't the two threads merged together? Hope everyone enjoys their VMS and gets the quality level they expect. Congrats to Slate for bringing another innovative product to market.
Old 30th October 2015
Here for the gear

Congratulation Steven & the whole Slate-Team!
Well done.
I am convinced VMS will conquer the Studios with the "Speed of Light" and I can´t wait to receive my first unit...
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

And Baaaaam @ Slate Digital keeps rolling the innovating :-) Been waiting for this one. Can't wait to try it out

Kudos to @ steven & @ Slate TEAM

And as Steven said HAPPY VIRTUAL RECORDING!!!
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Long time user and supporter of your products, Steven, and this looks like another home run. Congrats on your new release!

However, as a DSP engineer, I am bothered by the claim at 4:33 in the video:

"This is not an impulse response, or convolution, or some filters..."

The problem is, in order to emulate the frequency response aspect of a system, some kind of filtering has to happen. Also, that system itself (and any emulation thereof) by its very nature contains an impulse response that can be measured. Whether or not you use convolution, you are still using some kind of filtering process to manipulate the frequency response to emulate that of the analog hardware - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that - it's just the nature of DSP itself.

Your emulations sound astoundingly accurate, and I can imagine this product being incredibly useful for so many studios out there, so I'm really only critiquing the marketing itself. Your marketing can be fixed by adding one word to that sentence - "just." It's not just an impulse response, convolution, or filter by itself, in other words - it's a combination of unique processes that the Slate Digital team undoubtedly spent countless hours slaving over, because it sounds amazing. I wish you guys the best with your release!

Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

I think I can hear a slight difference between the two examples in the video, first one sounds a sliver more "contained", the second one is a bit more dynamic and slightly more open to my ears (well at least with Senn 650 straight off the laptop, which isn't exactly ideal). Very subtle stuff though... One could easy hear a greater difference take to take on a single mic. If the VMS is version 1, then perhaps the slider effecting the mic color or preamp gain could be turned down? If the VMS is version 2, then perhaps the slider effecting the mic color or preamp gain could be turned up? I guess either way it says a lot about the potential for this system. It seems to sound good, and perhaps the ability to tweak these kind of settings in the mixing stage would be a powerful and useful option. Part of me wonders if it truly sounds like a $20-30K signal chain is almost irrelevant if it's a good sounding and useful tool and has the solidity of a quality setup. Would certainly be interested in trying this out and would be curious in a dynamic or ribbon version as well.

I do have a couple questions though...

How does the A/D effect the sound and accuracy of the system. I use a Burl Mothership and am curious if Steven or the guys at Slate have ever tried this with a transformer based A/D (Burl or UA2192)?

Also curious about CPU hit if there are many instances in a session?

Interesting times...
Old 30th October 2015
Here for the gear

Really looking forward to!!!!

This will be the perfect addition for my project studio!!
Really portable, easy setup and super awesome sound!!
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Head
A few things...

1. I'm guessing it doesn't have any other patterns except cardioid?

2. Can we hear these in a mix? I mean it sounds stupid and all, but I'd really like to compare how they do in a mix rather than alone.

3. Oh and also, will there be more mics to purchase or download for free after launch?
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post

It's a pity the mics and preamps need their own racks though. Now you have to use up 2 racks for a big (but beautiful) picture and two knobs instead of having this together like it was in the first previews (see below)

There are added controls though (mic intensity and trim added along with drive on the preamp)... and I imagine in the future there could be HP filter, EQ bump or perhaps other microphone settings that may need some gui space. It also opens the possibility of more complex preamp emulations that have options other than just gain (emulating entire channel strips that would also function in VMR without a VMS present). Just some thoughts anyways...
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post

How does the A/D effect the sound and accuracy of the system. I use a Burl Mothership and am curious if Steven or the guys at Slate have ever tried this with a transformer based A/D (Burl or UA2192)?

Also curious about CPU hit if there are many instances in a session?

Interesting times...
I 2nd this question
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post

I think that has to do with the fact that the preamps now can also be used outside of VMS in a VMR chain, without the mic, preamp and mic sims, so people can make use of the preamps' characteristics with their own mic/preamp setups. I rather like the fact that the preamp section is being made available for VMR, even if that means it will take up another rack slot. But then, I do believe the VMR rack has at least six slots, so I think that is sufficient for most effects chains?
Old 30th October 2015
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi folks! I'm so happy after yesterday's Audio Legend's announcement to reveal another product we are showing at AES 2015.

We previewed the Virtual Microphone System at the 2014 NAMM, a product that recreates the sound of several vintage microphones and preamps through the means of using reference quality hardware and digital signal processing.

Unfortunately, we paused the project soon after that preview so that we could update all of our plugins to AAX (at the time our team was half the size). But I'm very proud to tell you that last year we resumed the VMS, and it is done. And it is great! We will be shipping in December and many dealers who sell Slate are taking orders. For the Microphone, the preamp, and the software, it's only $999.

The mics we used for the VMS are some of the VERY best of their class, and their owner is one of the world's biggest gear collectors, but he also has some of the best ears in the biz. We visited him last week to FINALLY show him the VMS, and he wanted to compare his U47/1073 combo to our FG47 emulation through our FG73 emulations. You'll soon hear from the man himself about what the results were.

So anyway, here is our official new launch video with several new audio examples and feature presentations, hope you enjoy, and please come see the VMS as we have several amazing artist singing through it LIVE at booth 137!

Cheers,
Steven
Can you buy the software separate?
I would like to use the PreAmps alone.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 30th October 2015
lxm
Gear Addict

What happened to the pencil Mic for dynamic mic emulations? There seemed to be way more 'mics' the last time you talked about this... Now we only get three?
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

I can't keep up with all this Slate goodness. This is a project studio owners dream.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search