The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloniusx View Post
Yeah I hear you, It is hard to just let go though when you have close to $50k of amazing pres sitting next to you. I know I will use them still for tracking other instruments and such. But I really loved auditioning mics through various pres with vocals to see how they sound. My John Hardy pre just sounds so incredible on vocals, I prefer it to the 1073s I have. Will VMS have a Hardy emulation in the future? Hard to say, I'm sure the FG-73 and FG-76 emulations sound killer but what if I want the sound of my John Hardy, BAE 312a, or Grace pres? I'm just hoping that someone has tried this already and has seen good results without weird artifacts? I'd love to hear what the 251 or C800g sounds like through the John Hardy. See here I go again... Shut up brain.
$50,000 worth of pre's? Bruh...I wish I had your clientele! I wish I could win the lottery!

Old 27th August 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
$50,000 worth of pre's? Bruh...I wish I had your clientele! I wish I could win the lottery!

While my clientele now is paying me decently, it wasn't always like that. For me it's been more about a steady acquisition of gear over the last 15 years fueled by the wife and I both having good paying day jobs and no kids. I've been slowing going back and forth between building out my space and recording to help pay it all off. Once my space is finally finished I plan to focus solely on the recording aspect. A plan that has been a long time in the making.

*edit just added up a rough estimate of what I have paid in pres and it actually totals just over $37k so $50k was an exaggeration it would seem. Have a good night.

Last edited by Theloniusx; 27th August 2016 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Factual correctness
Old 27th August 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
The free pack is the only reason I plunked for the wedge-preamp-based system, SEED.

I didn't want to risk missing out on said pack, and figured that I'll sell the wedge at a fair price when the dual, rack-mounting pre's released. Hopefully I can buy the pre separately, or perhaps with the dynamic-emu mic.
Thinking the same here.
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hard to say, I'm sure the FG-73 and FG-76 emulations sound killer but what if I want the sound of my John Hardy, BAE 312a, or Grace pres? I'm just hoping that someone has tried this already and has seen good results without weird artifacts? I'd love to hear what the 251 or C800g sounds like through the John Hardy. See here I go again... Shut up brain.
What are you using for an interface?....If you have multiple i/o then you could just record with the vms to get your base neutral signal, add in your mic emulation of choice, don't add anymore to the chain, send that track out a different output to your hardware pres and back in to a new track where you could add VMR for compression, eq, effects, etc....You could still go back to the channel with the mic emulation and toggle between the mics to see which mic sounds best going through the preamp in real time...moon
Old 27th August 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMusic View Post
What are you using for an interface?....If you have multiple i/o then you could just record with the vms to get your base neutral signal, add in your mic emulation of choice, don't add anymore to the chain, send that track out a different output to your hardware pres and back in to a new track where you could add VMR for compression, eq, effects, etc....You could still go back to the channel with the mic emulation and toggle between the mics to see which mic sounds best going through the preamp in real time...moon
I have two apogee symphony original models. I have plenty of io to do that and was thinking about that as well. An added step but entirely possible. I would need to get used to the workflow aspect of it. The main issue I see is that not all the preamps have a line in or pad. Most do but I believe the hardy pres don't. I'd have to look again at the back as its been a while but I don't recall line inputs. A line level to mic level adapter would work I guess... I feel that is a compromise though.
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Nut

So am I correct in assuming that the setup for the VMS pre is plug it into my existing Apollo Twin or Babyface Pro and that brings the audio into the PC? Based on that I am wondering how much color the interface is having in that chain, it would still be an unknown variable in the chain between the mic and the VMR mic models?
Am I correct or am I missing something? I don't see anyone mentioning that the VMS pre can be plugged directly into a computer?

Patrick
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdx42 View Post
So am I correct in assuming that the setup for the VMS pre is plug it into my existing Apollo Twin or Babyface Pro and that brings the audio into the PC? Based on that I am wondering how much color the interface is having in that chain, it would still be an unknown variable in the chain between the mic and the VMR mic models?
Am I correct or am I missing something? I don't see anyone mentioning that the VMS pre can be plugged directly into a computer?

Patrick
I'd like to know this as well. I just watched a youtube video with Warren and it sounded like you could plug it in via a thunderbolt connection with zero latency?

I really want one of these. I have an audient id14 that I recently purchased. I wish I would have known about this bad boy before I bought that a few months back. I also have a presonus firepod. Decent pres for the money, but this would up my recording ability without breaking the bank.

Also, will the classic tubes 2 always be included?
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Patrick
I've gone ahead and ordered VMS. I also have an apollo twin. I'm hoping the twin doesn't colour the signal too much (because you can't disable its pre's). I guess we'll find out soon!
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortWarning View Post
I've gone ahead and ordered VMS. I also have an apollo twin. I'm hoping the twin doesn't colour the signal too much (because you can't disable its pre's). I guess we'll find out soon!
So I just looked up the setup info on Slate's site and it recommends to plug into the line input and disable built in pres, so both my DACs, Apollo and Babyface Pro do not have an option for this I believe. So this really does make me pause, I know both the Apollo and Babyface both have pretty decent pres but both would still add some color, I suppose the question then is how much would anyone be losing plugging into pres and not into a straight line in.
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I just looked up the setup info on Slate's site and it recommends to plug into the line input and disable built in pres, so both my DACs, Apollo and Babyface Pro do not have an option for this I believe. So this really does make me pause, I know both the Apollo and Babyface both have pretty decent pres but both would still add some color, I suppose the question then is how much would anyone be losing plugging into pres and not into a straight line in.
So let me get this straight, the Apollo's interface's don't have a line input without the Pre's coloring the signal? If that is true, UA are idiots plain and simple.
Old 27th August 2016
Quote:
Can't speak for the Apollo, but the Babyface Pro has two line inputs on the side that have no pres and the pres on the XLR input can also be bypassed (source).
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Can't speak for the Apollo, but the Babyface Pro has two line inputs on the side that have no pres and the pres on the XLR input can also be bypassed (source).
I have line inputs on my iD22, Digi 192, and PARIS MEC. I can't grasp the 2K Apollo interface not having direct line inputs, serious design flaw if that is true.
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I have line inputs on my iD22, Digi 192, and PARIS MEC. I can't grasp the 2K Apollo interface not having direct line inputs, serious design flaw if that is true.
Yes, it is.
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Nut

I believe it is the Apollo Twin which may not have a way to bypass the pres, not the rackmount apollo interfaces.
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I believe it is the Apollo Twin which may not have a way to bypass the pres, not the rackmount apollo interfaces.
You're correct. I misread the post.
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear

If you're planning on sticking with the Twin for the long haul, you should consider buying an A/D converter sooner or later. That will be the best way to work around that combi jack limitation.
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
If you're planning on sticking with the Twin for the long haul, you should consider buying an A/D converter sooner or later. That will be the best way to work around that combi jack limitation.
Well the only reason I record vocals with the Apollo is due to the unison pre-amps which I often put a touch of compression on when recording to control the powerful vs. softer moments in a song.

I have the Babyface Pro which by all accounts, the line ins essentially bypass the pres.

Patrick
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
PM'd you back Will. Gonna take care of you right now!

Cheers,
Steven
Hi Steven - Seems a lot of people have the same question regarding the Twin Apollos. I am thinking of purchasing the VMS but curious how that incorporates into the Apollo?

I'm supposed to turn the apollo pre all the way down and keep it on line right? Some are concerned it will affect the tone of the VMS.

Plug into Twin, turn down the pre and use Line out?
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Head

Steven, can you clear this up for me (and a couple others) please?

In an earlier post, I asked about the "correct" level to record at using VMS. A few people pointed me to your post #2734 on page 92:

Quote:
The hardware mics were plugged into a BAE 1073 mic preamp. The VMS used the ML-1 to the VMS One preamp, with the FG47 emulation (TRIM module used first to peak at -12) with the intensity at 0 and the preamp virtual drive at 33.9db.
However, another post from you (#2849 on page 95) when another poster asked about his chain with Avid Pres, you stated:

Quote:
You'll want to make sure that you go right from the VMS Preamp to your Avid converter. Then hit the Mic Module peaking around -10db (use the TRIMMER before the module if necessary). Then use one of the preamp modules, and start with the virtual drive at 9 o'clock.
Was the -10 advice based explicitly on someone using the EL9?
If not, why was one session set to -12 and another at -10?

Just so we can get an answer straight from the person who made it, what is the "correct" level to record at using VMS to get the best representation/reproduction of the desirable sounds from the mic/pre emulations?
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
While my clientele now is paying me decently, it wasn't always like that. For me it's been more about a steady acquisition of gear over the last 15 years fueled by the wife and I both having good paying day jobs and no kids. I've been slowing going back and forth between building out my space and recording to help pay it all off. Once my space is finally finished I plan to focus solely on the recording aspect. A plan that has been a long time in the making.

*edit just added up a rough estimate of what I have paid in pres and it actually totals just over $37k so $50k was an exaggeration it would seem. Have a good night.
I hear that! My "day job" pays for the audio gear as well. Rock on...I'm just jealous of your collection, hehehe.
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

@ Steven Slate you should extend the mic selection offer to end of September as Thomann gets next batch 23rd of Sept. If we order it now we need to pay 1299€ in one month too early :(
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
@ Steven Slate you should extend the mic selection offer to end of September as Thomann gets next batch 23rd of Sept. If we order it now we need to pay 1299€ in one month too early :(
Dude, most people here who bought it, paid in advance. Some years in advance if I have gathered correctly. Most months in advance. You're not gonna get yours if you wait until Thomann gets its next batch. At that point, all of them have been sold in advance and you will have to wait another month or two for the next batch.

+ I think it would be quite dishonest from Slate to make the Classic Tubes 2 pack part of the VMS one package indefinately or permanently after marketing it as a free reward for those who really believe in the product enough to buy it in advance. I personally would never believe his marketing again.
Old 28th August 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
if you PAY before 31st August you get the mic pack as far as I know...

I paid for mine a few days ago, and mine will not be delivered until few days into sept...
Old 28th August 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys, regarding the Apollo twin, I tested it using the line input. To ensure that you are using the line input, select line input but also use the quarter inch input on the combo jack, NOR the XLR. I found that the Apollo line input works well with VMS and the signal remains clean.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi guys, regarding the Apollo twin, I tested it using the line input. To ensure that you are using the line input, select line input but also use the quarter inch input on the combo jack, NOR the XLR. I found that the Apollo line input works well with VMS and the signal remains clean.

Cheers,
Steven
Excellent news!
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Nut

Just took the plunge and ordered from Sweetwater, now wondering how long before they get stock in. At least I have my order in to take advantage of the free tube mic pack
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
So female XLR to male TRS into input 1 on the back of the Apollo Twin which results in Hi Z line input ?
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
if you PAY before 31st August you get the mic pack as far as I know...

I paid for mine a few days ago, and mine will not be delivered until few days into sept...
I made sure to put down some money on one as well before the month is up, and I only did so because the cut off date is August 31st. I won't have it before the month is up, but I have proof of when I went in store to initially place an order for it. If it wasn't for the second mic pack I would have probably held off on the purchase until later this Fall.
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
So female XLR to male TRS into input 1 on the back of the Apollo Twin which results in Hi Z line input ?
After reading up on it a bit online, apparently the XLR portion of the Twin's combi jacks are hard wired to the mic pre, but the TRS socket allows for clean line level input. So, plugging into the TRS socket will allow you to bypass the Twin's preamp.
Old 29th August 2016
Here for the gear

I ordered one from Sweetwater a while ago, they told me a shipment should come in this week. Saw Steve said the new mic emulations come out this week as well so hopefully I can test this thing out before the weekend. The 2 variations of the C800 sold me and just the curiousity to hear my voice on different mics I wouldn't be able to afford unless I hit the lotto. Great product, especially for us home studio guys.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search