The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Head

So where's the Classic Tubes 3-expansion??

Bought the ML-1 for 499USD on Black Friday and just received it. There was no license-card for the Classic Tubes 3-expansion included in the box. How do I obtain it??

/J
Old 22nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
It is a fun one. Slate ML1, Advanced Audio CM48T and CM49, U87ai, Mic Mod EFX, and a FleA 47.
My friend Matt who owns 2 VMS system's for his studio/recording school and is a big fan of the system is helping me out with my shoot out and was nice enough to send me full quality files of the FG47, FG47 MKII, and FG49 for my shoot out from the RAW file I originally recorded with the ML1. I don't think my mic probably had those issues. I think each collection that has been released has gotten better than the previous one. I have to say these Classic Tubes 3 samples are the best I've heard from the system. I'll try to get this shoot out up before New Years. I'll post a link here once it's available.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
Hi Steven.

I was also wondering the same about my mic and pre. Is there a range of serial numbers for the mics that would have this issue? A recall for these would seem appropriate. Hopefully mine is not one of the mics with an issue. I do not have time to do extensive A/B tests to determine if it is performing to the intended specs. Thanks.
bump.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

I have the same concern, mate:

I bought mine a few years ago and the box has been sitting safely in a store inter-state, waiting to be sent to me when I've bought a few other goodies from them. It was ordered in April 2016 and arrived in Aus 7 weeks after that.

So, May / June 2016... is it in the Danger Zone™?
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Steven knows I am pretty critical and hard to satisfy as far as modelling is concerned, but needed to chime to this thread after using VMS for a while. I decided to buy the ML-1 with superb Black Friday offer. I have many high end mics (vintage Neumann U87, Bock 47, Manley Ref C) and hw comps (Tube-tech CL1Bs, 1176s) but to be honest I really do prefer the sound I am getting with ML-1 in 98%. I admit, I didn’t expect anything like this to happen, just bought it out of curiosity without any serious expectations. I initially hoped that I would at least use it few times to warrant the purchase, as I really bought it just because of great price and because of “let’s try it” attitude.

But as it turned out it has been the best single mic purchase I have ever done and the only thing I regret now is not buying a pair. I record vocals with much better result and much less hassle than ever. It is interesting how well the mic reacts to dynamics and how much better the vocals turn out. The sound recorded with VMS also responds so much better to processing as it has much less resonances than any other mic I have ever tried.

One thing I do believe is that there is quite a variance with ML-1s as I have briefly tried two in the past and they were quite brittle with annoying sibilance. Mine doesn’t have even a hint of such issues and is actually much less prone to sibilance than any other mic I own or have used. It sounds as balanced as possible and the mic modelling really is superb.

So count me as a very very happy VMS user where it totally surpassed all the expectations I had.

Steven, if there is a chance to get a second mic for Black Friday price somewhere please let me know

Last edited by Jantex; 16th January 2019 at 07:58 AM..
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

That's awesome, Jantex; what a fantastic endorsement, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXNDSXT View Post
Hey Steven, I purchased the VMS early last year and have had issues with the low and top end but didn’t realize there were a select few with these issues. I live in LA, is there any way I can test my ML-1 and Pre just to make sure they check out alright?
Quote:
Hi Steven.

I was also wondering the same about my mic and pre. Is there a range of serial numbers for the mics that would have this issue? A recall for these would seem appropriate. Hopefully mine is not one of the mics with an issue. I do not have time to do extensive A/B tests to determine if it is performing to the intended specs. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post

I bought mine a few years ago and the box has been sitting safely in a store inter-state, waiting to be sent to me when I've bought a few other goodies from them. It was ordered in April 2016 and arrived in Aus 7 weeks after that.

We're still waiting, Steven.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

@ Jantex : Wow, that's a very powerful endorsement coming from you.

I've got an ML-1 and VRS-8 on the way myself, so I'm even more excited and confident of my purchase.

And according to Steven, a new mic package is coming at NAMM.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
@ Jantex : Wow, that's a very powerful endorsement coming from you.

I've got an ML-1 and VRS-8 on the way myself, so I'm even more excited and confident of my purchase.

I thing you will be very very satisfied. I don't know much about interface and solidity of the drivers, but VMS really changed my recording habbits in a few days after I acquired it. I needed few days to begin to trust that what I am hearing is true, because all this really surprised me, TBH.

I haven't done any obsessive A/B with any mic, but I don't care much about it. I don't know if the models sounds exactly like particular vintage model (although they definitely are very very in the ballpark) and don't care actually. All I care is that it sounds really superb, it constantly brought me the sound I wanted with any vocal I have used it so far and really helped me capture better recording than I was able to get with vintage originals or other mics I own - and it performs consistantly and with low noise floor.

Really, to this day I am still surprised and didn't imagine at all that it might happen, that it might make obsolete my whole LDC collection - really just thought it might be a toy for fun more or less.
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Steven knows I am pretty critical and hard to satisfy as far as modelling is concerned, but needed to chime to this thread after using VMS for a while. I decided to buy the ML-1 with superb Black Friday offer. I have many high end mics (vintage Neumann U87, Bock 47, Manley Ref C) and hw comps (Tube-tech CL1Bs, 1176s) but to be honest I really do prefer the sound I am getting with ML-1 in 98%. I admit, I didn’t expect anything like this to happen, just bought it out of curiosity without any serious expectations. I initially hoped that I would at least use it few times to warrant the purchase, as I really bought it just because of great price and because of “let’s try it” attitude.

But as it turned out it has been the best single mic purchase I have ever done and the only thing I regret now is not buying a pair. I record vocals with much better result and much less hassle than ever. It is interesting how well the mic reacts to dynamics and how much better the vocals turn out. The sound recorded with VMS also responds so much better to processing as it has much less resonances than any other mic I have ever tried.

One thing I do believe is that there is quite a variance with ML-1s as I have briefly tried two in the past and they were quite brittle with annoying sibilance. Mine doesn’t have even a hint of such issues and is actually much less prone to sibilance than any other mic I own or have used. It sounds as balanced as possible and the mic modelling really is superb.

So count me as a very very happy VMS user where it totally surpassed all the expectations I had.

Steven, if there is a chance to get a second mic for Black Friday price somewhere please let me know
Thats an awesome endorsement! The whole ML-1/ML-2 thing REALLY clicked for me when I got the VRS8. The converter/mic pre combo just makes the whole system come alive. I am also considering selling all my other mics. It sounds great, its easy to use and it streamlines my life.

Also with you on the sibilance thing. I de-ess less with it than I do the real things. I recently subbed out a few lines done on a 269, and the Slate one was smoother/didn't need de-essing.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Grrrr...
Wish Black Friday deals were possible for international customers. Would 100% have bought the packages.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Steven.

B-U-M-P
Old 19th January 2019
Here is a recent shootout featuring the Slate VMS next to a bunch of different clones and other mic emulations. Hopefully it can help people who might be interested to hear the VMS next to other microphones. Hopefully this will help you make your own judgements on the system.

Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

This makes me really curious- I've heard some demos with the VMS that sounded really impressive, while some others had a very unpleasant amount of sibilance or upper-mid harshness I'd normally associate with a cheap mic. These are often criticized as user error but I'd heard it enough times that it soured my interest in the VMS. It appears from your comment and Steven's comment that there very well may be differences in the hardware and I wonder how much of that is what I've heard in demos (I've not used a VMS personally).

It would be really interesting, if you still have access to either of those mics you tried in the past, to compare them to your VMS.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

... hence the bump from all three of us:

Quote:
Hey Steven, I purchased the VMS early last year and have had issues with the low and top end but didn’t realize there were a select few with these issues. I live in LA, is there any way I can test my ML-1 and Pre just to make sure they check out alright?
Quote:
Hi Steven.

Quote:

It'd be a huge help to know the serial-number range for starters...
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Head

Count me in as another who has experienced no sibilance with this mic as heard in demos.
Old 20th January 2019
*looks at number serial number sweating*
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Just curious, are you using the VMS one preamp, or are you running directly into an audio interface?
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Steven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
If that's true was a recall ever done? I would be extremely disappointed if I found out my mic was part of that group and I was never told. Mine is gone, as I sold it, but if others have this mediocre run of the mic it should be recalled and fixed. I have a new shootout coming out soon that I filmed before I sold the mic and I would hate to think that the information and audio samples I'm sharing is flawed due to this issue.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
... hence the bump from all three of us:

It'd be a huge help to know the serial-number range for starters...
Silence as deafening as FGX-2.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Likely the U87 collection which should be great. The U87Ai is a goto for me, and it would be nice to finally compare it to the sound of a vintage 87 on some of the projects I have coming up.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

There is a date stamp on the small box the preamp came in that says 9/30/2016..

The vocals recorded to sound a bit thin. Now I’m nervous.

I sent the first one I bought back to sweetwater
Because after 1 hour of use it quit on me.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

It seems that the sibilance issue is much bigger than initially thought? I worried about this and had a second VMS in to test and whilst they didn't null, they sounded more or less the same.

I'm still not convinced that the issue wasn't there on both of them. The way people are describing their copies that don't sound harsh is nothing like mine.
Old 29th January 2019
GMR
Lives for gear

I also thought I might have a mic with sibilance problem, I do get weird sounds of sibilance which worried me !

Is it just a part we could change, easy to do if we can know which one to replace!
It would be nice to know this.

I will say that with the new Blackbird mic’s , the sound is way less sibilant and feels better in my case!
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I just think this thing is great... I have both mics and the preamp...

It’s taking a bit for me to acclimate myself to recording at the lower levels that the VMR wants to see... but, if I just concentrate on the sound instead of looking at the waveforms I’m happy
Old 1st June 2019
SLL
Gear Maniac

I've been looking into buying the -> Slate Digital Virtual Microphone System from Thomann. I've seen a few videos on youtube, read about quality control here in this thread, and I'm not sure about status? Are there still issues with the Mic's?
I cross my fingers, that the mic components , build are quality stuff, and not cheap China stuff. Something that will last years and years.
Old 1st June 2019
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLL View Post
I've been looking into buying the -> Slate Digital Virtual Microphone System from Thomann. I've seen a few videos on youtube, read about quality control here in this thread, and I'm not sure about status? Are there still issues with the Mic's?
I cross my fingers, that the mic components , build are quality stuff, and not cheap China stuff. Something that will last years and years.
Hi! Our quality control is excellent. You will have no problems!

Steven
Old 1st June 2019
SLL
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post

Steven
That's warms me up. I think I'll try it out, thanks.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Steven
Can you please address the previous concerns about sibilant mics? I too feel like Im the sibilant group of people as a very early adopter

Thanks
Old 9th June 2019
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi, the ML-1 is probably the least sibilant fet condenser microphone I’ve ever used. There is a thread at the Slate audiophiles group with dozens of ML-1 users stating the same thing. Here is a link to the raw ML-1 which does not exhibit any sibilance:
www.stevenslatemedia.com/vmslisten/RAW_ML1.wav

And of course when you start adding emulations like the blackbird 47, things get REALLY smooth:

Www.stevenslatemedia.com/vmslisten/47_ML1.wav

So now that we’ve established that, I would contact support so we can figure out if something is wrong either in your recording chain or if the microphone is defective.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi, the ML-1 is probably the least sibilant fet condenser microphone I’ve ever used. There is a thread at the Slate audiophiles group with dozens of ML-1 users stating the same thing. Here is a link to the raw ML-1 which does not exhibit any sibilance:
www.stevenslatemedia.com/vmslisten/RAW_ML1.wav

And of course when you start adding emulations like the blackbird 47, things get REALLY smooth:

Www.stevenslatemedia.com/vmslisten/47_ML1.wav

So now that we’ve established that, I would contact support so we can figure out if something is wrong either in your recording chain or if the microphone is defective.

Cheers,
Steven
I just finished going through support and they had me send in a few audio files that I had recorded. They quickly determined that my mic has no sibilance related issues. I had become concerned when I had heard about the issue and I did not have access to any of the original tube mics for a comparison. I feel more confident about my ML-1 now and can move on. I suggest, as Steven does above, to address your concern through their support network. They responded very quickly and in a professional manner. Cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search