The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino213 View Post
Have you gotten any news from Golden Age? I ordered mine 23/11... Still nothing except for an email a while ago saying that they haven't gotten the mics from slate.
Positive news for me! I'll get mine next week
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
That is quite a testament to it! I've ordered a Cranborne Audio Camden 500 preamp to use with it. Are you using the slate preamp? I've got a slate pre on order but it probably won't be here till next year but I'll be using the Camden for now and possibly as permanent in my room in my 500 series rack and travel around with the slate pre.
Using a Camden 500 preamp with mine. Sounds amazing
Old 13th December 2018
GMR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
That is quite a testament to it! I've ordered a Cranborne Audio Camden 500 preamp to use with it. Are you using the slate preamp? I've got a slate pre on order but it probably won't be here till next year but I'll be using the Camden for now and possibly as permanent in my room in my 500 series rack and travel around with the slate pre.
Yes I do have the Slate pre

It was a lot of comparisons , not a decision I took lightly , need less eq or no EQ with certain models in vms

Anyway it was the right decision for me. The 800 s and the 269 are my favourites
Old 14th December 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Just got my ML1 yesterday and I have to say, I’m blown away. I would have never thought this mic could sound so good. Best spent $500 since I started being a slut.
Thanks man!! So glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
I actually recently sold my 251 Elux as I liked a few mic’s from VMS which we’re better on my voice, particularly the FG 800
Great that it's working out for you! The Elux is also an amazing mic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmurderer View Post
Using a Camden 500 preamp with mine. Sounds amazing
I'll have to check that preamp out! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Yes I do have the Slate pre

It was a lot of comparisons , not a decision I took lightly , need less eq or no EQ with certain models in vms

Anyway it was the right decision for me. The 800 s and the 269 are my favourites
The 269 is the biggest sleeper of all the mic models. Some may noticed I used it on the VRS Experience mix. It seems to work on more voices than any other mic.

Thanks guys!

Steven
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

My VMS 1 just arrived, planning to plug it straight into my rather clean interface. Anyone had good results with preamps other than the VMS-ONE?
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
The 269 is the biggest sleeper of all the mic models. Some may noticed I used it on the VRS Experience mix. It seems to work on more voices than any other mic.

Thanks guys!

Steven
So, Steven, what's happened to the inventory you assured us was due for imminent arrival at your retailers? I'm still waiting on the VMS I ordered from Musicians Friend. I did order on the last day of the sale, but at the time, they showed an expected delivery date of a few weeks out, while you were indicating a matter of days, I think. I talked to a rep earleir this week and she said their best guess now is January 8, which is a bit of a shame, since this is a Christmas present.

Anybody order from MF and gotten your order yet?

Itching to get my fingers on the microphone...

Jim
Old 16th December 2018
Here for the gear

Would a tube version of the Slate Mic & Pre be possible?
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

That'd defeat the purpose; it'd be no different from powering a Kemper Profiler through a tube amp.

IOW, tubes are already-modelled if present in the original microphones, or in the case of preamps, the Slate plugins.

So, no need to FET in the case of mic's or fret in the case of the Kemper.
Old 16th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
That'd defeat the purpose; it'd be no different from powering a Kemper Profiler through a tube amp.

IOW, tubes are already-modelled if present in the original microphones, or in the case of preamps, the Slate plugins.

So, no need to FET in the case of mic's or fret in the case of the Kemper.
It sounds crazy, but I feel like if the mic/pre was tube it’d have a smoother top end and more full low end. I can’t seem to EQ some of the lows out without it sounding thin and also the top end to be harsh and sibilant - especially with the 800/M & 251 emulations. I record with a real C800 and U87 plenty and never have such a hard time getting it to sound right.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

I hear you mate, but I don't think doubling the mic's tube characteristics is gonna smooth the high end.

The non-linearirites, including odd-order harmonics, are going to be accentuated through tube processing of the already-boosted ones, and when you combine this with a tube-pre emulation, I don't know... "3-stages" of tubes with one of them doubled-up for a single component?

What about the mic-character parameter in the VMS software? Have you tried cranking that a bit? I've bought the ML-1 and Slate pre, but they've been sitting in a store for 2 years and so I haven't had the opportunity to fiddle yet.
Old 16th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXNDSXT View Post
It sounds crazy, but I feel like if the mic/pre was tube it’d have a smoother top end and more full low end. I can’t seem to EQ some of the lows out without it sounding thin and also the top end to be harsh and sibilant - especially with the 800/M & 251 emulations. I record with a real C800 and U87 plenty and never have such a hard time getting it to sound right.
This is why I sold the VMS. The lack of low end and high end peakiness made it stand out in a bad way next to my tribute mics. It sounded on the cheap side.
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
I hear you mate, but I don't think doubling the mic's tube characteristics is gonna smooth the high end.

The non-linearirites, including odd-order harmonics, are going to be accentuated through tube processing of the already-boosted ones, and when you combine this with a tube-pre emulation, I don't know... "3-stages" of tubes with one of them doubled-up for a single component?

What about the mic-character parameter in the VMS software? Have you tried cranking that a bit? I've bought the ML-1 and Slate pre, but they've been sitting in a store for 2 years and so I haven't had the opportunity to fiddle yet.
Idk I feel that if you built a tube mic/pre and used the modeling software to accommodate the tube gear it might work. But I don’t know this technology so..

Yes, I usually drive it to 150%
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

It'd certainly work, but accuracy will be greatly-compromised.

The only thing "relevant" about the "technology" in this instance is that the modelling relies upon the super-flat, "accurate" response of the Slate mic's and preamp as the source fodder for manipulation.

Any deviation from this flat response will affect various characteristics, which in turn will be further-accentuated (or "cut") by a given mic model's software "fingerprint".

So, it's a crapshoot - you may get lucky with certain mic models here and there, but without exception the resulting modelled sounds will be sub-par in terms of authenticity. Same thing applies to the tube pre you spoke of, but in this case it's obviously Slate's preamp modelling that'll suffer.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Tubes, I imagine, are also inconsistent from tube to tube (even the same type).
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

So if I set up a shootout/ comparison with a real c800g and vintage 251, how do you guys wanna see it? I normally track through the Heritage 1073 > CL1b > 192 Convertor. Obviously Slate doesn't make a CL1B comp at this point (or a real Opto yet, love to see a nice La2a style comp in the VMR). I might try it a couple ways including using Softube Tube-Tech CL1B MKII comp for one example. But I will also do a non compressed comparison as well. I only have the Camden preamp right now so maybe I'll wait until I might Slate preamp ships and compare those 2 as well.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

I think ideally you'd want to track a Slate mic through as-clean-as-possible a preamp (flat) and then send the tracked signal (running a VMS emulation for the mic only) through your analogue toys.

This can then be compared to the C800G tracked straight through the hardware.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

I think for the first time in my life I lucked out. I heard comments about the ML1 being too thin sounding and high end heavy but my brand new ML1 is actually pretty balanced, if anything I have a good amount of low end that I tend to EQ out.
The capsule is in line... there are no dents...

Score! LOL!
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
I think for the first time in my life I lucked out. I heard comments about the ML1 being too thin sounding and high end heavy but my brand new ML1 is actually pretty balanced, if anything I have a good amount of low end that I tend to EQ out.
The capsule is in line... there are no dents...

Score! LOL!
Hi! I don't think you lucked out, as the ML-1 is one of the most balanced and flat large diaphragm microphones in production. Over a year ago in 2017 we did have a very small production run that had the wrong value of capacitor in the capsule feedback that skewed the top end response and there were some complaints from customers due to that situation, but that issue has long been resolved and is in the past. Thousands of mics have shipped since with newer QC procedures and we've not had any similar problems.

Our Black Friday VMS ML-1 sale was one of the most successful promotions we've EVER had, and I'm so happy to see all of the great feedback here at Gearslutz! There are even more people replacing very high end mics with VMS, which I think is a great testament to the technology achieving major triumphs!

And it could not have come at a better time, because we are just about to announce one of the greatest mic expansion packs where the absolute best mics in the world are modeled! Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezn8r View Post
So, Steven, what's happened to the inventory you assured us was due for imminent arrival at your retailers? I'm still waiting on the VMS I ordered from Musicians Friend. I did order on the last day of the sale, but at the time, they showed an expected delivery date of a few weeks out, while you were indicating a matter of days, I think. I talked to a rep earleir this week and she said their best guess now is January 8, which is a bit of a shame, since this is a Christmas present.

Anybody order from MF and gotten your order yet?

Itching to get my fingers on the microphone...

Jim

Official Statement on Black Friday VMS ML-1 Shipments!

Dear Customers,

The Black Friday VMS ML-1 Sale has been even more popular than we had predicted. While this could be considered great news, it’s also slightly disheartening news for customers who are waiting for the delivery of the microphones.

The good news is that we have plenty of stock of VMS ML-1s. The not so great news is that our logistics company who packs and ships the microphones to our retailers has gotten way behind and this has caused some delays on dealer shipments.

However, my team did not accept defeat. Instead of relying on a logistics company that became unable to handle the volume of shipments we required, we started moving our inventory to a new logistics company that will not only be able to get our Black Friday shipments out much faster, but they will also ensure that all future orders will ship to our dealers with far more speed.

We are told that all Black Friday Mic orders will ship out by tomorrow. That means most customers should get their microphones before the end of the year, and at the very least, the first week of January.

I know some of you wanted to receive your microphones before Christmas, and if you do not receive it before then, I am truly sorry. But I promise you that you will receive it soon, and when you use the VMS ML-1, it will be worth the wait.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi! I don't think you lucked out, as the ML-1 is one of the most balanced and flat large diaphragm microphones in production. Over a year ago in 2017 we did have a very small production run that had the wrong value of capacitor in the capsule feedback that skewed the top end response and there were some complaints from customers due to that situation, but that issue has long been resolved and is in the past. Thousands of mics have shipped since with newer QC procedures and we've not had any similar problems.
Hey Steven, I purchased the VMS early last year and have had issues with the low and top end but didn’t realize there were a select few with these issues. I live in LA, is there any way I can test my ML-1 and Pre just to make sure they check out alright?
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Steven - I really want an ML-2 now that I have the ML-1, but having a tough time finding any in stock with any retailer. Any updates on availability there?
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi! I don't think you lucked out...
Sorry Steven I didn’t mean it that way!
I had some bad luck with other companies before and I found myself returning mics because they were damaged or not responding as they were supposed to. Knowing how good my new ML1 sounds I’m feeling lucky I bought it actually!

Last edited by baslotto; 20th December 2018 at 09:12 AM..
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXNDSXT View Post
Hey Steven, I purchased the VMS early last year and have had issues with the low and top end but didn’t realize there were a select few with these issues. I live in LA, is there any way I can test my ML-1 and Pre just to make sure they check out alright?
Hi Steven.

I was also wondering the same about my mic and pre. Is there a range of serial numbers for the mics that would have this issue? A recall for these would seem appropriate. Hopefully mine is not one of the mics with an issue. I do not have time to do extensive A/B tests to determine if it is performing to the intended specs. Thanks.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Steven

In your 251 mic video in Sears studio in NYC, it's not clear in my mind
did you use the Vintage 251 with the Sears board Vs your 251 VMS AND
YOUR pre's Meaning the your 251 VMS was never into the Sears board. is that it.?

Thank you
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Our Black Friday VMS ML-1 sale was one of the most successful promotions we've EVER had, and I'm so happy to see all of the great feedback here at Gearslutz! There are even more people replacing very high end mics with VMS, which I think is a great testament to the technology achieving major triumphs!

And it could not have come at a better time, because we are just about to announce one of the greatest mic expansion packs where the absolute best mics in the world are modeled! Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Steven
Oh wow! I'm looking forward to it!
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Steven...

When you said, "...we are just about to announce", did you mean before the end of the year, or at NAMM 2019?

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

The later the better before we see a lot of people holding their breath for months and complaining
Old 21st December 2018
Quote:
If that's true was a recall ever done? I would be extremely disappointed if I found out my mic was part of that group and I was never told. Mine is gone, as I sold it, but if others have this mediocre run of the mic it should be recalled and fixed. I have a new shootout coming out soon that I filmed before I sold the mic and I would hate to think that the information and audio samples I'm sharing is flawed due to this issue.

This is just my opinion and I'm not here to knock your products as a whole. I'm an everything bundle user and your products end up on a lot of my work, particularly your Verb Suite which has my absolute favorite vocal verb. I always just assumed that because the music I make is more old school great American songbook and classical that I found holes in the system that many making more modern sounding productions did not.
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
If that's true was a recall ever done? I would be extremely disappointed if I found out my mic was part of that group and I was never told. Mine is gone, as I sold it, but if others have this mediocre run of the mic it should be recalled and fixed. I have a new shootout coming out soon that I filmed before I sold the mic and I would hate to think that the information and audio samples I'm sharing is flawed due to this issue.

This is just my opinion and I'm not here to knock your products as a whole. I'm an everything bundle user and your products end up on a lot of my work, particularly your Verb Suite which has my absolute favorite vocal verb. I always just assumed that because the music I make is more old school great American songbook and classical that I found holes in the system that many making more modern sounding productions did not.
i'm looking forward to your shootout
Old 21st December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
i'm looking forward to your shootout
It is a fun one. Slate ML1, Advanced Audio CM48T and CM49, U87ai, Mic Mod EFX, and a FleA 47.
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM-imgp9070.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search