The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

what´s badly needed for tracking with vms /vmr
would be a nice tube compressor emulation á la
tubetech cl-1b and a pultec eq.

sony 800 > 1073 > cl1b is such a classic vocal chain.
Old 21st December 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
steven slate - i'm about to pull the trigger on one of these but could you confirm whether an unmodded 67 is going to be in the classic pack 3?
Yup, a big dark classically tubby one has already been modeled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
The Slate Blue Vintage has been one of my goto comps lately.
Me too on vox! Kinda does that instant 'pop' vocal sound for me. I follow it with Monster on the vocal setting if I want something a bit rounder for the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
what´s badly needed for tracking with vms /vmr
would be a nice tube compressor emulation á la
tubetech cl-1b and a pultec eq.

sony 800 > 1073 > cl1b is such a classic vocal chain.
Yeah we have a lot of opto stuff in the works, including the "opto" setting on the upcoming FG-Stress Distressor plugin.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 21st December 2016
SEED78
Quote:
The Slate Blue Vintage has been one of my goto comps lately.
Very much want that after hearing it in a lot of the VMS demos. Available individually, or just as part of the Everything Bundle?
Old 21st December 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Yeah we have a lot of opto stuff in the works, including the "opto" setting on the upcoming FG-Stress Distressor plugin.

Cheers,
Steven
Classic vari mu get a lot of love round here too on vocals - RS124, 660, 6a6a, STA, 17b, 26u. And all the others I've forgotten.

Gagging to use your vintage blue, can it be bought stand alone, or just as part of the Everything Bundle?

Can see me getting the everything bundle soon anyway maybe, as there seems to be some good vocal plugs.

Last edited by SEED78; 21st December 2016 at 08:25 AM..
Old 21st December 2016
SEED78
Ahhhhh. I see you already have the FG-MU - that's that sorted!
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear
With the RME Fireface UFX I can have reverb, EQ, and compression which is heard by the artist but is not recorded. I find that the VMS mic sounds good enough on its own to do this with no issues. I then select a mic emulation afterwards.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Maniac

@ Steven Slate

Do you still get all available mic packs if you buy the vms until 31th Dec. ? (Even in germany)
Are there any not included packs out there / upcoming?

You need to buy an ilok2 separatly right? Should you buy iLok3 instead?

Thx

Last edited by gangs_08; 22nd December 2016 at 02:59 PM..
Old 21st December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangs_08 View Post
Do you still get all available mic packs if you buy the vms until 31th Dec. ? (Even in germany)
Are there any not included packs out there / upcoming?

You need to buy an ilok2 separatly right? Should you buy iLok3 instead?

Thx
ILok3 is the same
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Available individually, or just as part of the Everything Bundle?
It can be bought separately.
Old 22nd December 2016
SEED78
Quote:
It can be bought separately.
Awesome - good to know!
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Head

have to say the VMS is great i love it but i hate the "wallwart like" pre box. slate desperately need a rack or half rack option. i will not buy more until they offer!
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Maniac

Someone told me there'll be a new VMS
preamp with a built in compressor based on FG Stress. Great news! Yeah i'm just kidding. Would love it though
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Nut
Can someone send me the VMS Software download?

I bought the VMS second hand and am still waiting for Slate to transfer the ownership even though I already have the ilok license. Can't find anywhere online to download the VMS mic software although the preamps are in the VMR.

Please send if you can to [email protected]

Thank you!
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusicNY View Post
Can someone send me the VMS Software download?

I bought the VMS second hand and am still waiting for Slate to transfer the ownership even though I already have the ilok license. Can't find anywhere online to download the VMS mic software although the preamps are in the VMR.

Please send if you can to [email protected]

Thank you!
*VMS owners can access their VMR-VMS installer by logging in to their Slate account at Slate Digital - User Registration (includes Classic Tubes 2!)
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Nut
Thanks but it's not in there bc Slate has not transferred ownership from the original owner and it's been a few days. I'd love to start using this if someone can just send me the software download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. torture View Post
*VMS owners can access their VMR-VMS installer by logging in to their Slate account at Slate Digital - User Registration (includes Classic Tubes 2!)
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitzalong Daway View Post
Someone told me there'll be a new VMS
preamp with a built in compressor based on FG Stress. Great news! Yeah i'm just kidding. Would love it though
Careful! There'll be a gazillion posts on that thread! Fiction or no! Like a bigfoot sighting.....
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Like a bigfoot sighting.....
Hey, Bigfoot is no joke... I saw one when I was abducted.
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. torture View Post
When will tubes pack 3 be released, what Steven was talking about? Its free for vms owners isnt it?
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
When will tubes pack 3 be released, what Steven was talking about? Its free for vms owners isnt it?
I don't know, I don't work for Steven. I just copied / pasted that off his site.
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Nut

Can anybody that's got it comment on how well the system does in a less than ideally treated room (like recording in a living room where the only treatment is a blanket hanging 3 feet behind the microphone type of scenario).

I hope you only see success and more breakthroughs and also, please, for whatever reason, *do not* under any circumstances stop supporting/troubleshooting and releasing update for this microphone when the next version comes out!
Old 25th December 2016
Gear Maniac

The VMS definitely needs a U87ai emulation. The only mic i'm missing.

BTW: Merry xmas @ Steven Slate ! Thank you and your Team for all your high quality products, which bring our recordings to profession.
Old 25th December 2016
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=gangs_08;12333328]The VMS definitely needs a U87ai emulation. The only mic i'm missing.

BTW: Merry xmas

U87 vs U87ai. I much prefer the U87. The ai version is quite sibilant imo. But to each..
Merry Xmas as well
Old 25th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No date on release of pack 3, however Steven did confirm that pack 3 is free to all who buy before December 31st. Steven confirmed this in this thread. Look at the question in post 4291 and the confirmation from Steven in post 4292.
Old 26th December 2016
Any of the VMS owners have also Acustica Audio Nebula and the microphone libraries from Henry Olonga? If so, how do you feel the results as VMS is "in theory" totally flat and accurate to represent this modulations all across the spectrum?
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Any of the VMS owners have also Acustica Audio Nebula and the microphone libraries from Henry Olonga? If so, how do you feel the results as VMS is "in theory" totally flat and accurate to represent this modulations all across the spectrum?
I have them both - I put Henry Olonga's mics on a vocal and was not happy with the results. Slate VMS sounds far better in every way. Henry Olonga's libraries are not as good as what the VMS system does. Slate VMS is hands down the best microphone emulation system available and its results are extremely close to the modeled microphones. Worth the investment, you won't be disappointed. Even with prerecorded vocals Slate VMS sounds superb
Old 26th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.L.I.N.K. View Post
I have them both - Slate VMS sounds far better in every way. Henry Olonga's libraries are not as good as what the VMS system does. Slate VMS is hands down the best microphone emulation system available and its results are extremely close to the modeled microphones. Worth the investment, you won't be disappointed.
I know VMS does a decent job but, did you tried the HO's u87 library over a recorded clip with VMS?
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The VMS definitely needs a U87ai emulation. The only mic i'm missing.

BTW: Merry xmas

U87 vs U87ai. I much prefer the U87. The ai version is quite sibilant imo. But to each..
Merry Xmas as well
Making Slate VMS a more all around tool for engineers and mixers here are some mics I would like to see added to the next few collection installments.

Warren Haurt's U47 (A VERY SPECIAL U47)
Neumann U 87 (VINTAGE NON Ai)
Neumann M149
Telefunken AR 51
Coles 4038
Royer R121
AKG C414
Shure SM57
Electrovoice RE20
Microtech Gefell M92.1S
Manley Reference C Gold

Last edited by m.L.I.N.K.; 27th December 2016 at 05:10 AM..
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I know VMS does a decent job but, did you tried the HO's u87 library over a recorded clip with VMS?
I tried Henry Olonga's u87 and all of his other top end mic libraries. Just wasn't doing anything special, especially compared to Slate VMS. I have other mic libraries for Nebula as well, and again not anything special. I am a huge fan of Nebula and have had the program since it was released. While it is the best at a lot of things, mic emulations is not one of them. What's really good for Nebula is the AlexB consoles, Mastering decks, CL1B, AITB APE EQ, just to name a few, I own over 150GBS of Nebula libraries and it's a great tool, if Nebula could emulate microphones they way it identically captures other gear then I would not own the Slate VMS. Slate VMS is a huge breakthrough in studio recording technology and hats off to the entire Slate team for bringing this to market first. I believe that Slate VMS will do what DAWs did to Tape and ADATs along with large mixing consoles. One day most mics will be Digital and the original elite mics will be for the elites who want and can afford them.
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Slate VMS does more than a decent job, it does an outstanding job making your sound instantly radio ready and major label competitive. Nothing else compares to this. Not even close.
Old 26th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.L.I.N.K. View Post
Slate VMS does more than a decent job, it does an outstanding job making your sound instantly radio ready and major label competitive. Nothing else compares to this. Not even close.
I have heard different C12, C800g or U47 models (to give some examples) from different eras sounding closer between them than to the VMS emu. It is a good product -> Yes, is a perfect recreation -> nop. We will see how it does with the U87 in a future (I know not everybody loves u87 but for me is my usual vocal mic). Hope to see also more preamps models.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search