Antelope Audio's New Orion Studio - Page 57 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio's New Orion Studio
Old 16th August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_cgr View Post
There is only 1 adat in/out on the Orion Studio HD, so you will be stuck with 8in/8out via adat...
The best solution with this device is to go HDX, (32in/32out).
Sorry, I did not know this. I got the original Orion which have 2 outs and ins.
Is the HDX some sort of MADI-compatible port? If so the price will be a lot steeper.

Last edited by stonerbox; 16th August 2019 at 02:08 PM..
Old 4th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict
I guess these already older devices will not get the new Opto comp or any other new FPGA effects?
Old 11th September 2019 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
I guess these already older devices will not get the new Opto comp or any other new FPGA effects?
Hi!

The 3 new effects the Opto-2A, the Vari-Speed Tremolo and the Space Flanger are based on the Synergy Core platform (FPGA&DSP) and they won't be able to run on the previous interfaces because of the lack of DSP chips.

If you have any other questions - please get back to me here or message me directly.
Old 27th November 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Nóv 2019 update ?

Hello dear people . I have read the thread and I don't feel confident buying a second hand Orion studio silver as alot of people here are complaining about the driver, softwares and firmware .....

I saw no one commented since March 2019 and wondered if anyone who uses the Orion studio silver can confirm That the new driver updates have fixed all of the issues up to now on November 2019 ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathefinest View Post
Hello dear people . I have read the thread and I don't feel confident buying a second hand Orion studio silver as alot of people here are complaining about the driver, softwares and firmware .....

I saw no one commented since March 2019 and wondered if anyone who uses the Orion studio silver can confirm That the new driver updates have fixed all of the issues up to now on November 2019 ?
<Modsnip>

Everything works like a charm with the OS these day.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have had my Orion studio silver since 2016. I run it almost every day and most recently completed two live albums using antelope FPGA effects on busses running at 96k.

I run it on a MacBook Pro and have been through three MacBook Pro’s with the same interface. I have been through multiple updates on firmware and the worst problem I ever have is that every now and then I have to restart the server when connecting which takes about three seconds. LOL.
Here for the gear

Thanks but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
<Modsnip>

Everything works like a charm with the OS these day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
I have had my Orion studio silver since 2016. I run it almost every day and most recently completed two live albums using antelope FPGA effects on busses running at 96k.

I run it on a MacBook Pro and have been through three MacBook Pro’s with the same interface. I have been through multiple updates on firmware and the worst problem I ever have is that every now and then I have to restart the server when connecting which takes about three seconds. LOL.
Has anything changed for the better in the last month regarding drivers on osx ? As I see so many complaints , I'm so confused .... I got a great deal yet so insecure reading all of the dissapointed costumers ... "Think of selling mine " " software firmware is horrible ...."....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...wondered if anyone who uses the Orion studio silver can confirm That the new driver updates have fixed all of the issues up to now on November 2019 ?
Mine has been excellent for the last year now. And believe me, I was on here griping a ton for a while. I wouldn't worry about buying one second hand, as long as you get it updated to the lastest drivers. Antelope support has been super helpful.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Has anything changed for the better in the last month regarding drivers on osx ? As I see so many complaints , I'm so confused .... I got a great deal yet so insecure reading all of the dissapointed costumers ... "Think of selling mine " " software firmware is horrible ...."....
Nope and remember that for every 10 angry users, there are 100 of us moving along with great gear.
Here for the gear

Thanks

Thanks for the reply , I choose it over symphoney io , hope I'm making the right choice
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

It's a great piece of hardware that has run flawlessly for me since April when I disabled the Server, Launcher and Control Panel and just use the front panel to select presets. That's always an option if you're not tweaking settings a lot. See my posts above for details.
Old 28th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio View Post
It's a great piece of hardware that has run flawlessly for me since April when I disabled the Server, Launcher and Control Panel and just use the front panel to select presets. That's always an option if you're not tweaking settings a lot. See my posts above for details.
I totally understand why you wouldn't want to update - I've followed all of your posts in this thread for a few years - but the newest launcher FINALLY has options to disable updates etc.

More telling you this because man... it was nice to finally have this feedback taken into consideration.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I totally understand why you wouldn't want to update - I've followed all of your posts in this thread for a few years - but the newest launcher FINALLY has options to disable updates etc.

More telling you this because man... it was nice to finally have this feedback taken into consideration.
Good to hear Antelope responded to some of the feedback. I'm just too afraid to go through weeks of downtime like before, so I'm going to stick with what's working until it's not. I'm very happy with the sound and workflow right now, even though it was much better before the new Launcher (still wish I could go back to that install).

Orion Studio HW is by far the best deal around in terms of number of inputs and outs at this sound quality. It's amazing to me I can record with four high quality pre-amps, mix down to 16 channels of summing, return my mix in stereo, have a few pieces of analog gear patched in and still have many unused channels of I/O.

..ant
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nope and remember that for every 10 angry users, there are 100 of us moving along with great gear.
Only because many of those “angry users” took immense time, energy and persistence in hounding Antelope, and were instrumental in forcing Antelope to get their sh*t together and fix some of the major issues.

And if that didn’t do it, Sweetwater dropping the whole brand (presumably due to all the problems), sure as hell did.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Only because many of those “angry users” took immense time, energy and persistence in hounding Antelope, and were instrumental in forcing Antelope to get their sh*t together and fix some of the major issues.

And if that didn’t do it, Sweetwater dropping the whole brand (presumably due to all the problems), sure as hell did.
As I alluded, mine worked just fine then as it does today.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As I alluded, mine worked just fine then as it does today.
Good for you. You’re fortunate.

I went through a year and a half of carefully documenting major issues with my Goliath and Goliath HD. I went through 5 RMA units, probably a hundred emails, numerous calls, and dealt with multiple people at Antelope over that period, before they were finally able to resolve the core problems. It was like pulling teeth at times.

My Goliath unit also works fine now. I persisted, and spent a lot of time and energy to make sure that happened, and to make Sure Antelope was held accountable.

I’m happy that you haven’t had to go through anything like that, but your characterization of those of us who have as “angry users”, is not only dismissive of real issues, it comes across as condescending. If that’s not the intent, then I apologize.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Good for you. You’re fortunate.

I went through a year and a half of carefully documenting major issues with my Goliath and Goliath HD. I went through 5 RMA units, probably a hundred emails, numerous calls, and dealt with multiple people at Antelope over that period, before they were finally able to resolve the core problems. It was like pulling teeth at times.

My Goliath unit also works fine now. I persisted, and spent a lot of time and energy to make sure that happened, and to make Sure Antelope was held accountable.

I’m happy that you haven’t had to go through anything like that, but your characterization of those of us who have as “angry users”, is not only dismissive of real issues, it comes across as condescending. If that’s not the intent, then I apologize.
Sure there’s a few like yourself and sorry your investment was frustrating. However, the 10 I speak of are the habitual complainers with whom nothing is ever right. You’re free judge me. No worries.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sure there’s a few like yourself and sorry your investment was frustrating. However, the 10 I speak of are the habitual complainers with whom nothing is ever right. You’re free judge me. No worries.
The reason I chose to put in the time and effort to get things resolved is that there’s simply no other unit that does what the Goliath can do. Ultimately it was worth the effort in the long run, but Antelope has had a history of the customer as beta tester on some products.

No judgment here.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Found this thread which has pretty recent feedback on the software. Looks like not much has changed on the software front - still buggy and a bad design. Tathefinest, hopefully you're one of the lucky ones with no issues. The hardware is great, really stunning, but I can't recommend folks jumping into Antelope given the flawed software design of the Launcher/Control Panel/Server and ongoing issues that appear to span across mulitple products.

Antelope Audio, Constant Issues?
Here for the gear

Thanks man , I sure do hope it is worth it . The amount of specs on this hw is so appealing , hope the mic pres also do a fine job in feeding the DA . Peace
Here for the gear

Letting go

Orion studio seems like the ultimate interface for me really , but I got cold feet because of all the issues ppl reporting
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply
What osx are you using ?

And are we talking Orion's studio silver ?
Old 30th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
The reason I chose to put in the time and effort to get things resolved is that there’s simply no other unit that does what the Goliath can do. Ultimately it was worth the effort in the long run, but Antelope has had a history of the customer as beta tester on some products.

No judgment here.
Im 100% with squawk on this. My goliath was trouble; the software, and the first unit i had which had to go back. throughout the technical support was good and engaged. Its been running great for years now, and nothing beats the performance or featureset. Its almost year 3 and i hope to run it for 5 more years; the saffire interface i had before made it 8 years.

I expect when i next upgrade we will be in the world of affordable audio over IP and perhaps the goliath will rock on behind a madi bridge.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ok I got mine in 2016 and after having some issues it's been working perfectly in the last 2 years, with all honesty how long do you guys think this interface is going to last?, should I worry about getting a new one soon?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the original silver Orion Studio and it’s been flawless. It’s at least 6 years old. As long as the OS is supported, I see no reason to change.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I have a studio synergy studio core, i like the sound, but i cant get any performance out of there plugins.. every time i try to load one of there plugins i get clicks and pops. Support has ok, they even sent me a new replacement unit.. i think the issue is with antelope and protools implantation of aax.. i just gave up using there plugins...
📝 Reply