The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Breverb!
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTom View Post
I still will have to keep my Lex, my TC and my Roland.
There is still some room for improvements (e.g. depth), but maybe the guys at Overloud waste some more cpu cycles(who needs 20 reverb instances?) to make the hardware units obsolete.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your comment.

We don't want anyone to throw away the hardware stuff (I love hardware indeed).
The fact about depth has nothing to do with CPU cycles. We're working on future updates which will give you different choices regarding the reverb tail 'color' and depth.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTom View Post
There is still some room for improvements (e.g. depth), but maybe the guys at Overloud waste some more cpu cycles(who needs 20 reverb instances?) to make the hardware units obsolete.

Tom
Maybe they'll come out with "Pro" version (even more detailed emulation) in the future? That's going to be fun!

EDIT: Oh just saw the above reply...Nevermind...
Old 15th September 2007
A33
Gear Addict

I was about to get powercore compact +VSS3 has anyone compared them?
What are the strenghts of each?
I will demo breverb next week
Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyeKnight View Post
Damn it..and just before I got to this post, I was thinking to myself, 'I wonder if CSR stand a chance against this thing'..*lol*..oh well. I'll have to try it out for myself of course, but damn.
Don't pack up CSR yet. They're different beast that I see myself using for different things, in exactly the same way that I use TC for one thing and Lex for another. CSR sits well in a mix and is better on some instruments, but Breverb sounds more natural, especially on solo instruments.
Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigcat View Post
Maybe they'll come out with "Pro" version (even more detailed emulation) in the future?
If the processing of the dsps in a lex 960 can now be matched by current CPUs (and actually Lex dsps are much older), or protools dsps, then I don't know why a "better" verb wouldn't be possible. I realize that it's not just the power of the dsp, but the design of the algorithm, however it seems to me that it must be possible to write a more robust reverb algo. TC's VSS3 is exactly that. VSS4, if we ever see it outside of their hardware, will be that and more so.

So yes, an even higher-quality version of Breverb would be fantastic.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
If the processing of the dsps in a lex 960 can now be matched by current CPUs (and actually Lex dsps are much older), or protools dsps, then I don't know why a "better" verb wouldn't be possible. I realize that it's not just the power of the dsp, but the design of the algorithm, however it seems to me that it must be possible to write a more robust reverb algo. TC's VSS3 is exactly that. VSS4, if we ever see it outside of their hardware, will be that and more so.

So yes, an even higher-quality version of Breverb would be fantastic.
I don't like to talk abut quality difference when it comes to these beasts (Lex, TC...).

To me, these are colors... TC color is very different from Lex. There's no doubt we might have a new product or new algos added to Breverb in the future that will sound more on the TC side of things... once we succeed with our technoly, everythning's possible. Just to be clear: we never reverse engineer enything, we just listen and measure good reverbs so that we can build our own proprietary algorithms with a better knowledge of the best reverbs out there. Overloud's CTO, Thomas, is a 'vintage' fan so we chose the 80s as our first attempt... but, depending on BREVERB's success, we might do more...

Supporting us is not only done with buying (please, do that!) the plugin, but also with quality feedback, something Thomas and us are always very open to. A good product is winner both for you and us... I simply love win-win situations...

Regards,
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Guru

It doesn't matter how many cpu cycles you throw at it. It's all to do with the quality of the algorithms. Lexicon are masters at the trade and have 30 plus years of experience. I doubt they will ever be matched ITB unless Lexicon decide to make something. VSS3 was really good but not my cup of tea. CSR was "alright". Convolution sounds best in certain ways but is sort of lifeless.

Are there going to be audio demos of Breverb?

thanks
Old 16th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone Coen View Post
I don't like to talk abut quality difference when it comes to these beasts (Lex, TC...).

To me, these are colors... TC color is very different from Lex. There's no doubt we might have a new product or new algos added to Breverb in the future that will sound more on the TC side of things... once we succeed with our technoly, everythning's possible. Just to be clear: we never reverse engineer enything, we just listen and measure good reverbs so that we can build our own proprietary algorithms with a better knowledge of the best reverbs out there. Overloud's CTO, Thomas, is a 'vintage' fan so we chose the 80s as our first attempt... but, depending on BREVERB's success, we might do more...
I wouldn't say there's any quality difference between a TC6000 and a Lex960, just a different character between them. That's what I'd said before, so we agree there.

I didn't imply that you'd reverse-engineered anything and I don't remember anyone else doing so either. But there's no doubt that your product leans more towards the lush character of a Lex product. Just as some "other" products lean towards the sound of a TC reverb.

If I could afford it I'd have a Lex960 AND a TC6000, but I can't. I CAN afford CSR and Breverb.

Am I understanding this correctly -- this is NOT authorized with iLok, but some other type of dongle that I'd have to wait for before permanently installing this plugin? A software download and online iLok authorization would be very convenient.
Old 16th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I doubt they will ever be matched ITB unless Lexicon decide to make something.
They don't seem to have any plans to do so. LexiVerb died out a long time ago. They're just a hardware company I guess.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It doesn't matter how many cpu cycles you throw at it. It's all to do with the quality of the algorithms. Lexicon are masters at the trade and have 30 plus years of experience. I doubt they will ever be matched ITB unless Lexicon decide to make something. VSS3 was really good but not my cup of tea. CSR was "alright". Convolution sounds best in certain ways but is sort of lifeless.

Are there going to be audio demos of Breverb?

thanks
Hasn't Lexicon had their chance? Nuverb? Don't you think that if they could, they would do a 480L plug-in? There must be more to it than just the algorithm. Logic tells me that they woulda done it by now if they could. If they could do a 480L, even for for..... say....1k or MORE, I'd definitely buy. No hesitation.

j
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

re: i said "...."

[I wouldn't go nearly that far, but for the price it's a very good verb. And you do get a nearly unlimited number of reverb tracks - very low latency indeed]
Elambo:
Did you see that I said "at this rate". Yes I agree that not now, but at this rate.
Before the post, I did compare it to my Lexi 960L, on an outboard, by creating a send, then keep muting back and forth, so I did my homework.
It is good as it is, and given it a few version updates, and with octo core, I think we will get there.
dan le
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
Hasn't Lexicon had their chance? Nuverb? Don't you think that if they could, they would do a 480L plug-in? There must be more to it than just the algorithm. Logic tells me that they woulda done it by now if they could. If they could do a 480L, even for for..... say....1k or MORE, I'd definitely buy. No hesitation.

j

I am sure they could but I think it is more an issue of keeping their "reverb" secure. I actually have 2 Nuverb cards and they are great but they are not native as the cards have lexichips. I really wish they would release a native reverb. That would be awesome.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Am I understanding this correctly -- this is NOT authorized with iLok, but some other type of dongle that I'd have to wait for before permanently installing this plugin? A software download and online iLok authorization would be very convenient.
No,

the plugin is authrized with an iLok.
You download the installers.
You install them.
You have a 2 days grace period to authorize them (you can use them in the meantime).
Our server is et to be updated (sorry), so please send an email to info @ overloud . com with your iLok account and we'll upload for you a 14 days demo authorization manually.

Same goes if you want to buy it.
We're going to streamline the shopping experience (now it asks you to register with Click&Buy - BTW, the same shopping backbone Apple is using...).

Best regards,

Simone
Old 16th September 2007
Quote:
No,

the plugin is authrized with an iLok.
You download the installers.
You install them.
You have a 2 days grace period to authorize them (you can use them in the meantime).
Our server is et to be updated (sorry), so please send an email to info @ overloud . com with your iLok account and we'll upload for you a 14 days demo authorization manually.

Same goes if you want to buy it.
We're going to streamline the shopping experience (now it asks you to register with Click&Buy - BTW, the same shopping backbone Apple is using...).

Best regards,

Simone
Wow, you're responsive. That's good to see.

I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. People were complaining about a "dongle" so I assumed it was a proprietary thing. I didn't want to have an iLok AND some new dongle and it seems that I won't have to after all.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't pack up CSR yet. They're different beast that I see myself using for different things, in exactly the same way that I use TC for one thing and Lex for another. CSR sits well in a mix and is better on some instruments, but Breverb sounds more natural, especially on solo instruments.
Yeah, I gave it a go and I agree. The Breverb sounds more natural, particularly on the HALL setting which is the setting I liked most on the CSR as well. I tested it out with a couple of percussion instruments (congos and toms) and brass section. They are definitley two different flavors that could possibly co-exist peacefully..well atleast for now.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wow, you're responsive. That's good to see.

I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. People were complaining about a "dongle" so I assumed it was a proprietary thing. I didn't want to have an iLok AND some new dongle and it seems that I won't have to after all.
Hi Elambo,

go figure out... on another forum we're being kicked and criticized because we didn't choose Syncrosoft...

Regards,

Simone Coen
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Elambo,

go figure out... on another forum we're being kicked and criticized because we didn't choose Syncrosoft...

Regards,

Simone Coen
NO! You did the right thing. Screw synchrosoft!
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Guru

Syncrosoft is much more secure than iLok.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This might prove true.

But:
- Syncrosoft is much more expensive for developers
- it has a limited support for users (no license transfers to others, no owner linked dongle, no 'insurance' on damage or loss)
- iLok system let's you protect your product in many ways hence it can be cracked, do you know if there is a CRACK for every iLok protected plugin? I don't...
- Lots of non PT DAW users already have an iLok for Waves, Sonnox or other plugs (many of the use iLok) and not all have a Syncrosoft
- Few PT users have a Syncrosoft dongle, while most (well, all I'd say) have an iLok
- no secure system is un-crackable... we just want to protect as possible our work while not getting too much in our client's way.
- iLok protected stuff is much more welcome by store tellers and most of them (at least the ones BREVERB tries to address) carry an iLok in stock. This is not true for Syncrosoft, worldwide.

Regards,

Simone
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
oh, that may be why you just need to walk out of the door and pick up your copy of Nuendo 3 or Cubase SX3 or Korg legacy on the street ..... - well, the non-dongle version of it ..... (ok, they say C4 was not cracked yet - can be, .....)

Also for iLok I never experienced that the dongle protection is slowing software down as much as it is the case for Steinberg and Korg products.

best
Old 16th September 2007
OMU
Lives for gear

That's a very good reverb, seems that the italians really know how to code reverbs

I quickly compare it to CSR and Breverb seems to have more depth and musicality. CSR sounds flat(ter) by comparition, however, it seems to blend somehow with the source signal better. But coming back to Breverb while comparing the two, always made me prefer it over CSR due to its 3-dimensional sound and lushness. It sounds more "expensive". If I were to choose one from the two it would be Breverb.

I also compared it to VSS3 and it holds very well against it while being completely different. It's surprising for me how good it sounds. While VSS3 is almost colorless (in lack of a better word), Breverb has a nice musicality, even it sounds more "synthetic". I was not expecting to hear such a good sound from it, especially against VSS3 but now I'd choose Breverb in many situations over VSS3.

I'm very interested what Overloud would develop from now on considering what I'd say it's a great beggining.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Hall algo sounds great! heh

One thing that annoyed me is that the dry/wet levels change with every preset.
If you use Breverb as an insert effect, this makes it difficult to compare the different presets.
Or did I miss something?

Look at UADs Plate reverb. You have a dry/wet balance + a 100% wet button in case you use it as an aux effect.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
The Hall algo sounds great! heh

One thing that annoyed me is that the dry/wet levels change with every preset.
If you use Breverb as an insert effect, this makes it difficult to compare the different presets.
Or did I miss something?

Look at UADs Plate reverb. You have a dry/wet balance + a 100% wet button in case you use it as an aux effect.
There's a preference in the preferences panel for that.
The preferences panel is accessed by clicking on the small icon on the upper right part...
(see the manual, which is accessed by clicking on the Overloud or Breverb logo... cannot remember right now)

FYI: One of my requests was to have full control over the panpot and width of the original and wet signals which I think is good if you use BREVERB as insert or in other situations (live... since we'll likely have a standalone version).

Regards,
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
That's a very good reverb, seems that the italians really know how to code reverbs
Thanks,

The other 'italian' reverb is developed by a danish guy AFAIK, though...

Regards,
Old 16th September 2007
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks,

The other 'italian' reverb is developed by a danish guy AFAIK, though...

Regards,
On the "back" of CSR says Made in Italy.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
On the "back" of CSR says Made in Italy.
the programmer who wrote the algos is not italian... cannot say more since it's a competitor, but more infos are available on the net... and the guy who did the algos is also posting over here from time to time...

Regards,
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

I tried it, but was not too impressed. To me it sounded just like another shallow plugin reverb with lot of common artificial artifacts in the sound ... Seems the time the reverb plugins could come close to the decent HW units is still very far away ...
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
... the time the reverb plugins could come close to the decent HW units is still very far away ...
Not so much, if you read advertising carefully heh
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Not so much, if you read advertising carefully heh
heh

Oh, I must read it again heh
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I tried it, but was not too impressed. To me it sounded just like another shallow plugin reverb with lot of common artificial artifacts in the sound ... Seems the time the reverb plugins could come close to the decent HW units is still very far away ...
We never pretended we're the best, we're modeling the sound of a rather old and widely used unit...

if you look for current top notch hardware reverbs it's not here you should look... not currently, at least.

Regards,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search