The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide Anthology X Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 14th November 2015
Gear Addict

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the feedback. I'm taking note of all these requests and we'll take them into consideration as we make plans going forward.

Dan
Old 14th November 2015
Gear Maniac

I like eventide stuff so I upgraded, I don't think i'll be using much of their plugins as they have much knobs, buttons and dials, it will take me about 14 years to learn them all.
But yeah, that EQ45 plugin is unbelievable, for years I've being trying to find one set of plugin I can use on a strip for vocals any vocals both male and female and I think am almost there.

Try this if you have them Omnipressor, then eventide EQ45 then eiosis AirEq-plus, a lil bit of east west ql space. those set of plugs can even make a iPhone mic sounds like a vintage neumann, so sweet.
Just for having access to the Eq45 alone I think the upgrade price is more than wort it.
Old 14th November 2015
Gear Addict

all i have to say is WOW ,eventide u got it going on,,,i have used all the hardware ,and its so nice to see these as plugins!!!!!!! way to go eventide ,,,any chance we will see more of these in the uad format? just asking////not that they will sound better as they are surprisingly low cpu usage already ,,i cant say enough about what u are doing over there.......more please,,,keep um coming!!!!!
Old 15th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
30th November

Currently looking to set aside funds.... hopefully I'll manage.

Now regarding the reports of a new improved sound of the emulations compared to previous versions, I see a lot of people being disappointed with the sound quality of the offerings. The studio next door has a H3000 and it seems to have a certain glow/sheen/presence/etc. that doesn't drown out the input sound but enhances it. Is this where the H3000 emu falls short?

..if so @DGillespie maybe you can do some of the magic you've done in the updated Anthology emulations on the H3000 one?

Man I feel like I'm asking too much already but I'll just leave this as it is and watch from the sides

i disagree we have a h3000 and its so damn close...dont forget that some hardware unit do vary from unit to unit ,,,ours is a old one,but the patches are right on,,,,great job eventide
Old 15th November 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
Just like the H910 it's pretty much a complete rewrite. We modeled the analog section and the proprietary converters. The H949 had a really cool elliptical antialiasing filter. I also improved the flanger and random algorithms a bit to make them more accurate.
I have to say the new work put in on the H949 is incredible. I'm running the TDM side by side with the Anthology X and have to say the difference is amazing. The old one sounds rubbish in comparison! I still prefer the Reverb as TDM but anyone considering the upgrade I would say its a no brainer for sure.
Old 15th November 2015
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalson View Post
i disagree we have a h3000 and its so damn close...dont forget that some hardware unit do vary from unit to unit ,,,ours is a old one,but the patches are right on,,,,great job eventide
Thanks for a real world report highly appreciated.

I am a believer in Eventide for sure but was just wondering why people are complaining about the H3000 but they seem to be really into the newer emulations. I have no experience with the H3000 plugin just with the real hardware so excuse me for seeming like I did a head to head comparison.

Was just trying to understand what makes these new plugins tick for people more than the H3000 and hoping that there is a palpable reason for this.

Regardless I am looking forward to demo the whole bundle more and report back.

Don't understand why it's such a sleeper compared to other releases (cough SD cough).
Old 15th November 2015
Gear Nut
anyone else having problems with some of these plugs causing crashes/unable to load? Got band delays working and a few others.But amongst others, H949 crashes, and H910 loads but screams some kinda feedback.

Live 9.5 32bit, win7x64.
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa View Post
anyone else having problems with some of these plugs causing crashes/unable to load? Got band delays working and a few others.But amongst others, H949 crashes, and H910 loads but screams some kinda feedback.

Live 9.5 32bit, win7x64.
Working fine here. Live 9.5 x64, win10x64. All plugs working fine.

Last edited by mpod; 16th November 2015 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: typing error
Old 16th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa View Post

Live 9.5 32bit, win7x64.
Hi Wafa,

Check out the latest download, available on the eventide.com Anthology X page. Sorry for the crashes on Windows 7 on 32 bit DAWs, these have been fixed.

Dan
Old 17th November 2015
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
I have to say the new work put in on the H949 is incredible. I'm running the TDM side by side with the Anthology X and have to say the difference is amazing. The old one sounds rubbish in comparison! I still prefer the Reverb as TDM but anyone considering the upgrade I would say its a no brainer for sure.
Hhhmmm, I don't think the TDM one is rubbish but the input transformer does a better job with input signal.
I haven't done a true side by side yet but, they both sound great.

I do agree with you on the Reverb for the TDM version.
It's better than the Native version to me.
Also, the Omnipressor as well.

JusMyThoughts,

Marc
Old 17th November 2015
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Hhhmmm, I don't think the TDM one is rubbish but the input transformer does a better job with input signal.
I haven't done a true side by side yet but, they both sound great.

JusMyThoughts,

Marc
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Are the algorithms different?
Old 18th November 2015
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Are the algorithms different?
I don't know but in doing a small A/B test just off the cuff, the new versions were louder but not better.

One day I will do a direct one on one test and post my findings.

Marc
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know but in doing a small A/B test just off the cuff, the new versions were louder but not better.

Marc
Dan - can you comment on this? Should we be experiencing varying sound and volume between the TDM and Native versions?

I've only done very rough comparisons (via memory so unreliable) and didn't sense a major difference.
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:

Marc
Heh..I wasnt suggesting it WAS rubbish, just that the difference was significantly obvious!
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalson View Post
I agree. I have an H3500 DFX and have never heard much of a difference to distinguish the hardware from the software.

But whilst the sound quality of the plug-in is fantastic, I can't say the same about the graphics. Eventide - please, please update the GUI. It looks like it's stuck in 1995 at the moment and really doesn't do the plug-in justice
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Dan - can you comment on this? Should we be experiencing varying sound and volume between the TDM and Native versions?

I've only done very rough comparisons (via memory so unreliable) and didn't sense a major difference.
Hey guys, as I mentioned before there are some differences in the TDM plug-ins and the native versions. All of these changes were to make improvements to the native plug-ins where possible. Some were things that we wanted to do but couldn't in the initial plug-ins and some were because we saw ways to make things better now. Obviously, there is a tradeoff between keeping things the same to maintain compatibility with TDM sessions and delivering what we think is the best product possible. Here are the changes that we made:

H910
1. Full rewrite of the code to properly capture the analog section accurately model the original algorithm.
2. Added mix knob.
3. All new graphics.
4. Now has stereo->stereo version.

H910 Dual
1. All new plug-in not available in Anthology II

H949
1. Large overhaul of existing plug-in to properly capture the analog section and improve the algorithm.
2. Added mix knob, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
3. Updated graphics.
4. Now has stereo->stereo version.

H949 Dual
1. All new plug-in not available in Anthology II.

Instant Phaser
1. Added mono->mono version and stereo->stereo version.

Instant Flanger
1. Added mono->mono version and stereo->stereo version.

Omnipressor
1. Added soft saturation which has the effect of increasing the throughput gain by 1 or 2 dB.
2. Added stereo->stereo version.

UltraReverb
1. Improved the early reflections for most algorithms, which will have a subtle, but nice, effect on most settings.
2. Added the ability to toggle the different reverb states on and off, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
3. Added the ability to put the parallel delays before the reverb as well, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
4. Added the ability to tempo sync the parallel delays, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
5. Added more EQ options for the various sections, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
6. Added sidechain option to the compressor, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
7. Added mix lock, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
8. Updated graphics.
9. Now has mono->mono version.

Octavox
1. Large overhaul of existing plug-in to improve pitch tracking, usability, applicability to different sources, and general good sounds.
2. Addition of pitch input meter to help you tune the pitch detection and get good results.
3. Pitch tracking on/off selection for when it doesn't make sense to shift diatonically based on the source pitch.
4. Increased delay lengths.
5. Mix lock, key lock, and live mode options.
6. New graphics.
7. added mono->mono version.

Quadravox
1. Same changes as Octavox.

H3000 Band Delays
1. Updated filters and filter sweeps to match the actual H3000. This will make TDM settings sound different, but we wrote code to match the two settings as closely as possible.
2. Increased delay times, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
3. Added Allpass filter type, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
3. Added mono->mono version.

H3000 Factory
1. Improved Pitch Shifter to match the H3000. This may make some TDM settings sound slightly different, but we wrote code to match the two settings as closely as possible.
2. Several other very subtle tweaks to make this algorithm more closely match the H3000. We were able to maintain compatibility with almost all sounds from the TDM plug-in.
3. added mono->mono version.

EChannel
1. Rescaled meters to have better precision for louder sounds, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
2. Added optional soft saturation to the compressor, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
3. Added optional De-ess option to compressor, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
4. Added on/off toggles to the individual EQ bands, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
5. Added stereo->stereo version.

UltraChannel
1. Rescaled meters to have better precision for louder sounds, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
2. Added optional soft saturation to the compressor, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
3. Added optional De-ess option to compressor, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
4. Added on/off toggles to the individual EQ bands, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
5. Added Bass Cut knob to the O-Pressor section, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
6. Added Feedback to option to delays, this will not effect loading TDM settings.
7. Added mono->mono version.

EQ45
1. Added stereo->stereo version.

EQ65

Precision Time Align

After a discussion with elicious and an investigation I also need to restate my answer regarding compatibility between Anthology II and Anthology X. When making this changes we focused on maintaining compatibility from Anthology II to Anthology X, but not vice versa. The addition of all the above mentioned features means that you can do things with Anthology X that won't port back to the Anthology II version of the plug-in. Additionally, because of the major changes to H910, H949, Octavox, and Quadravox I turned off compatibility between these plug-ins from TDM to Native. Frankly, I forgot that I had done this when I answered above, but I thought it was better to break compatibility than to change your sound without warning, but maybe this was the wrong decision. Currently you can copy settings from a TDM H949 to a Native H949 by saving and loading a preset, but I don't know a way to make the automation compatible. My recommendation is, if you're moving a session from Anthology II to Anthology X, keep it in Anthology X once you are there. The license does allow for the activation of two iloks, but if you're having this problem, please contact us.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 18th November 2015
Thank you Dan for taking your time and posting such a thorough description, really appreciate it!
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Thank you Dan for taking your time and posting such a thorough description, really appreciate it!
No problem, I should add this information to the FAQs for each product.

Dan
Old 19th November 2015
Definitely a great idea!
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Unfortunately when you load a session with and old plugin it doesn't load the new version . you lose your settings . Also, I liked the fact that you had presets that took the number and name of the presets on the H3000 ( for ex 231 Micrpitchshift) . This has disappeared
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBlue View Post
I agree. I have an H3500 DFX and have never heard much of a difference to distinguish the hardware from the software.

But whilst the sound quality of the plug-in is fantastic, I can't say the same about the graphics. Eventide - please, please update the GUI. It looks like it's stuck in 1995 at the moment and really doesn't do the plug-in justice

too bad there are soooo many missing things like 504 Buenos Notches
I own a Venue the prospect of losing my TDM Venue license for the sake of an AAX upgrade has left me in the camp of not upgrading I really wished Eventide would have etc us TDM users keep Anthology II even if's bundled with Ant X it still would have been OK - but with that said I cannot surrender my Venue system.

Last edited by T_R_S; 19th November 2015 at 12:19 AM..
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, thanks Dan! That's great info.
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
too bad there are soooo many missing things like 504 Buenos Notches
I own a Venue the prospect of losing my TDM Venue license for the sake of an AAX upgrade has left me in the camp of not upgrading I really wished Eventide would have etc us TDM users keep Anthology II even if's bundled with Ant X it still would have been OK - but with that said I cannot surrender my Venue system.
Hi T_R_S,

Just PM me your ilok account name and I'll send you an Anthology II NFR. Or send it to [email protected] and Jerome will do it. We're doing this for anyone who wants to upgrade but keep Anthology II.

Also, sorry but Buenos Notches is based on the H3000 Phaser algorithm, which we haven't turned into a plug-in yet.

Dan

Last edited by DGillespie; 19th November 2015 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: Added information
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
Unfortunately when you load a session with and old plugin it doesn't load the new version . you lose your settings . Also, I liked the fact that you had presets that took the number and name of the presets on the H3000 ( for ex 231 Micrpitchshift) . This has disappeared
Hi Volodia,

231-Micropitchshift and many others are still there. They're in the 01-H3000 Legacy folder of presets, which is the first folder that should appear. Also, the H3000 Factory should load settings from a TDM session, the only ones that won't are the H910, H949, Octavox, and Quadravox.

If you're not seeing this you may want to make sure you're running the newest version, the installer is available at eventide.com.

Dan

P.S. If you're still having trouble with this, please contact us at [email protected], or at our support forums and I'll make sure to get you sorted out.

Last edited by DGillespie; 19th November 2015 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: P.S.
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict

I know you guys have been over it, i just dont have time to demo them both and compare. From a sound perspective, do you guys favor the UAD or the Eventide more?

I'll have to demo one of them before i buy, but a little nudge in one direction or another would be a big help right now

I have nothing Eventide other than Ultrachannel. About the only thing i use on it is the micro pitch shift. really enjoy that, though the delay section never really seemed to function properly. Some days yay and other days nay.
Old 21st November 2015
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 View Post
I know you guys have been over it, i just dont have time to demo them both and compare. From a sound perspective, do you guys favor the UAD or the Eventide more?

I'll have to demo one of them before i buy, but a little nudge in one direction or another would be a big help right now

I have nothing Eventide other than . About the only thing i use on it is the micro pitch shift. really enjoy that, though the delay section never really seemed to function properly. Some days yay and other days nay.
I may be biased because from my perspective I really like plugins I have from Eventide so I would get the whole bundle straight from Eventide as it packs way more punch than the UAD offering.

Other than the envelope section and slight differences the UAD version is identical to the Eventide one.
Soundwise check for yourself:

I don't see that much of a difference.
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 View Post
I have nothing Eventide other than Ultrachannel. About the only thing i use on it is the micro pitch shift. really enjoy that, though the delay section never really seemed to function properly. Some days yay and other days nay.
Just a note to upgrade your UltraChannel. There were some delay issues in the early versions, but they've all been fixed.
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
Just a note to upgrade your UltraChannel. There were some delay issues in the early versions, but they've all been fixed.
Thanks D. I remember looking for an update for UltraChannel for quite a while, and specifically for that reason, and i never bumped into it...unless i was looking in the wrong place.

Curious as to when that fix was updated. i'll check the site for release history.
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
I may be biased because from my perspective I really like plugins I have from Eventide so I would get the whole bundle straight from Eventide as it packs way more punch than the UAD offering.

I don't see that much of a difference.

Yeah, i understand the Eventide bundle is a way better value. I just dont have the need for it nor do i have the patience to work thru it all A lot of it would go unused...At least for a while. Thats why i specifically asked about the sonics.

Definitely appreciate the response and the opinion. Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search