The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Namm 07
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Apogee Namm 07

Anyone know if Apogee will be showing any new converters for Namm 07? If so let the cat out the bag
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Dear Apogee:

This is what I hope you are going to show at NAMM, either now or in the future:

a new Ensemble-like versatile interface with your splendid mic pres and convertors in one unit but for the Symphony System. Maybe give it a double interface: Firewire or Symphony-direct.

then, take down the price of the symphony card itself (you know, give away the razor blade, sell the razors).

My .02.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
Dear Apogee:

(you know, give away the razor blade, sell the razors).

My .02.
Isn't that the other way around??

I with ya though!!!!
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I heard they bought Advid and are going to release a Digi 003.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow...if that's so I can't wait to see it at the show this weekend. But I heard digidesign isn't going to go with digi 003 but a digi002 pro. That would be something if they did come out with digi. but I would think they wouldn't be on that great of terms with digidesign do to coming out with the symphony system that is made for logic. Oh well... anyone know if they are going to stay with the Rosetta line?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Isn't that the other way around??
DOH!

Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGILL View Post
Wow...if that's so I can't wait to see it at the show this weekend. But I heard digidesign isn't going to go with digi 003 but a digi002 pro. That would be something if they did come out with digi. but I would think they wouldn't be on that great of terms with digidesign do to coming out with the symphony system that is made for logic. Oh well... anyone know if they are going to stay with the Rosetta line?
Uh, Hum, I was like joking.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd like to see Apogee revise the Rosetta 800 to include an integrated x-symphony interface. Next, dump the Rosetta 200 and replace it with a Mini-Me sized 2-channel unit also with an integrated x-symphony interface.

I'm in the market for an 8-channel converter this year, and the RME ADI-8 QS is looking pretty nice too.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

what happened to your ensemble?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Oh nothing, still enjoying it very much! However, it's always been in my plans to eventually use the Ensemble as a portable rig and/or "B" room I/O. Nonetheless, the addition of something like the Rosetta 800 through lightpipe or in a Symphony setup with the Ensemble as an aggregate device will double my channels of AD and DA within one system.

If Apogee had announced plans for a Symphony express card, I most likely would not have bought an Ensemble. With my luck, chances are that Apogee will announce an express card version of Symphony on Friday!! :p
Old 16th January 2007
Haven't seen any new A/D converter chips in the last year, don't count on anything new under the hood (where it really counts).

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 16th January 2007
Max
Lives for gear

Hope to see all of you there.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post

If Apogee had announced plans for a Symphony express card, I most likely would not have bought an Ensemble. With my luck, chances are that Apogee will announce an express card version of Symphony on Friday!! :p
Haha! Son of a gun! Apogee has released an Expresscard version of Symphony!! And, Ensemble now works as a standalone converter + mic pre!

Max, would you like to give me any prizes for being clairvoyant? ;p
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

Here is what I want from Apogee

Dear Apogee,

Here is exactly what I am looking for:

A new converter that has:

1U style with 8 channel I/O and 4 channel I/O versions (ok 2 channel too if you want, but I would really like a 4 channel version for price and flexibility)

The quality of AD-16X and DA-16X converters in one unit...therefore the C777 clock included.

Competetive price that a crazy home studio enthusiast can purchace. Let's say 8 channel $3500, 4 channel $2500 and 2 channel $2100

A new name like: ADDA 8X, ADDA 4X and ADDA 2X or something like IceVerter 8, 4 and 2 or whatever.

What do you think???
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff19 View Post
Dear Apogee,

The quality of AD-16X and DA-16X converters in one unit...therefore the C777 clock included.

What do you think???

indeed !!!!! a DAAD16X ! but it probobly will have a $6999.99 tag price
Old 18th January 2007
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
Haha! Son of a gun! Apogee has released an Expresscard version of Symphony!! And, Ensemble now works as a standalone converter + mic pre!

Max, would you like to give me any prizes for being clairvoyant? ;p
You nailed it. I'm at the show, so I may not be able to respond right away, but I wanted to see your reaction. thumbsup

Ill try to have the press releases up in a few minutes.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Does the Symphony Mobile with a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro get the same low latency specs as the Mac Pro Symphonty PCIe?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

many have said apple and logic are over

if that were the case then.....?

something says this is not so much tha case

the new express card thingy is great IMHO

the ensemble looks heavy

hopefully some intelligent and cool sounding, portable devices get developed

make a card for the beat makers apogee. go on, I dare ya?

Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
You nailed it. I'm at the show, so I may not be able to respond right away, but I wanted to see your reaction. thumbsup

Ill try to have the press releases up in a few minutes.
Cool, Max!

Stand-Alone mode for Ensemble makes it quite a versatile piece of hardware. I've got a few questions now regarding Symphony and Ensemble though:

1) When will Ensemble's firmware update for stand-alone operation be available?

2) How will the Ensemble handle stand-alone programming? With stand-alone mixer "profiles" within Maestro?

3) In a Symphony setup with an Ensemble connected to a Rosetta 800 via ADAT, will the Ensemble's digital attenuator be able to be used as a master volume control? Also, will loop sync clocking between the 2 units be appropriate?

that's it for now. Thanks!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

Basically a Mini-Me and Mini-DAC rolled into one with Firewire connection would be what I'd be interested in, something like the Firebox but of course Apogee would have great converters and mic pres. That would be great. As long as it had drivers for both Mac AND Windows. Not just Mac only like the Ensemble, which seriously sucks a shrink-wrapped rat's ass for those who use Windows.

Ben
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

As it turns, the symphony Express Card has been my favourite release.

Hopefully apogee doesn't go too hardcore on the proprietry side of things and makes their hardware a little open source in the same vein as api's 500 series.

Imagine having symphony software, running digidesign hardware (an mbox 2 Pro style connector, but better) and PRoTOols with the ability to route through symphony on your macbook Pro? Or whatever combo you wanted.

I would definitely buy one of these cards if apogee's AD/DA wasn't so expensive. For the quality of converters available in 2007, for relatively little money, a Rosetta is too much $$$$$$.

MHO
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Basically a Mini-Me and Mini-DAC rolled into one with Firewire connection would be what I'd be interested in, something like the Firebox but of course Apogee would have great converters and mic pres. That would be great. As long as it had drivers for both Mac AND Windows. Not just Mac only like the Ensemble, which seriously sucks a shrink-wrapped rat's ass for those who use Windows.

Ben
Just was on Apogee's site and they have announced a the long long overdue firewire card's for the mini series, so you wish has been answered sort-of.
-I am curious and would like to know more about the new firewire cards maybee Max would be abe to jump in on this, I use my mini me/dac alot, would there be any advantage to a firewire card if I don't do any work at higher than 44.1?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search