The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP Vintage Warmer 2
Old 13th January 2007
PSP Vintage Warmer 2

PSP Audioware has just released Vintage Warmer 2. It is finally compatible with Intel Macs!
---------------------
PSP VintageWarmer 2 (plug-in AudioUnit, VST, RTAS for Mac OSX (universal Binary); VST, DirectX, RTAS for Windows; VST, RTAS and MAS for Mac OS Classic) is a high-quality digital simulation of an analog-style, a single- or multi-band compressor/limiter. It combines rich, warm analog processing with a straightforward user interface, and comes with a comprehensive library of presets. The plug-in processor is highly flexible and can be used for both softknee compression and brick-wall limiting. This makes it an essential tool for mixing and mastering engineers. Careful attention has been paid to PSP Vintage Warmer's overload characteristics with the processor being capable of generating saturation effects typical of analog tape recorders. PSP Vintage Warmer also incorporates professional VU and PPM metering together with accurate overload indicators thereby assuring professional quality results. PSP VintageWarmer 2 offers PSP Audioaware's proprietary Frequency Authentication Technique (FAT) - a high quality double sampled processing mode for even more analog-like processing and a 64-bit floating point processing for accurate mathematical precision, extended release time range mode, disengagable brick wall processing, automatic release adjustments for an even more intuitive user experience and plenty of other under-the-hood improvements making this plug-in an even more versatile and advanced tool!
--------------
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Interesting! Wonder if it's free for all us VW 1 owners.

Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hello saturation, brick wall, and auto release!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Sweeeeeeeeet!

Auto Release =)
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

And is that a delay compensation readout at the bottom? heh
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

the original was cool... this looks even cooler, i mean warmer....

i want to give it a try .. are there any demos available?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
i want to give it a try .. are there any demos available?
Yeah, go to PSP's site, they have the demo for it available now.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I just installed ver. 2, and I was noticing in the Mac AU component folder, that the "vintage warmer bundle" wasn't updated ( i didn't do an uninstall first). Anyone know what this is? I figure it's from ver. 1 and is no longer relavant. So far, I love it much.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Ah, it's 50 bucks to upgrade from ver 1.

So those of you who have it -- are you noting any sonic differences worth reporting?

Cheers.

Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

NICE! Auto-release is an awesome addition to VW. This is a really serious bus compressor now - I'll definitely be upgrading.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Vintage Warmer is a great plugin!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
And is that a delay compensation readout at the bottom? heh
Yikes!! Over 2000 samples of delay for a native plug?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Yikes!! Over 2000 samples of delay for a native plug?
I think the high delay is a side effect of the FAT feature. Neon (their master EQ) also has a FAT mode and different resolution settings. High settings would put up high delay numbers, but it sounds really good.

Vintage Warmer v1 shows @ 24bit / 48k, 511smps.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
I think the high delay is a side effect of the FAT feature. Neon (their master EQ) also has a FAT mode and different resolution settings. High settings would put up high delay numbers, but it sounds really good.

Vintage Warmer v1 shows @ 24bit / 48k, 511smps.
511 isnt so bad, but over 2000!?! I am glad PTHD has ADC!!!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well I d/l-ed the demo. The saturation effect is much more pronounced -- and much more pleasant. They did a really nice job. Seems fatter and it's definitely hairier -- weird that I found something in which I desire those qualities.

Grrrrr....I may be shelling out the jack for this....and I swore I'd be good....

Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've been thinking of buying this, but I looked at their site and it wasn't clear to me whether this requires ilok or not. does anyone know?
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info...I've been waiting to get more PSP plug's on my Intel Mac...!!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd View Post
I've been thinking of buying this, but I looked at their site and it wasn't clear to me whether this requires ilok or not. does anyone know?
They give you the choice of either ilok or key code authorization. Great plug!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

They are not touting this as a Major reworking of the plugin
Old 14th January 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

these are the new features:

- FAT (Frequency Authentication Technique) - PSP's quality double-sampled processing
- Disengageable brick-wall limiting
- Two Release Multiplier ranges for fast or relaxed processing
- Semi-automated release mode
- Extended band saturation levels and band release multipliers for MultiBand mode
- 64-bit host<>plug-in audio streaming support in VST version
- Platform-independent preset management system
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Just tried it on a dull snare track with the "snare drum track" preset and man!!
1st time ever I use a preset without tweaking it a bit. Very impressive.
Alas, Audiosuite doesnt seem to work in demo mode... cough cough...

Cheers,
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm a little confused... does this actually cost anything to upgrade? If I log in, it appears I can simply download the v.2 installer. Has anybody upgraded who can say for sure?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNY View Post
I'm a little confused... does this actually cost anything to upgrade? If I log in, it appears I can simply download the v.2 installer. Has anybody upgraded who can say for sure?
But do you have an authorization code next to that download link. Or has there been an asset deposited in your Ilok account.

Being able to now put the authorization on my ilok was a big plus for me!
Did the upgrade last night.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticStudios View Post
But do you have an authorization code next to that download link. Or has there been an asset deposited in your Ilok account.

Being able to now put the authorization on my ilok was a big plus for me!
Did the upgrade last night.
I was fortunate to have bought the VintageWarmer after March 2006, so I am eligible for the free upgrade heh

BUT, over 2000 samples of delay is unacceptable for my kind of work (Audio Post Production for Broadcast).

However, I would be transferring my license to my HD rig, so perhaps ADC could help?
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

VW did not do much for me on the stereo buss. Messes with the stereo imaging. Can anyone confirm if VW 2 has fixed this issue?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had the opportunity to betatest version 1.x and since then, no mixes are done without a few of them on drum overheads, room ambience, kick, toms and sometimes on vocals, percussion and rhythm guitars.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Why does the thought of having to pick up an iLok just churn my stomach... I love the original Vintage Warmer and would love to check this out, but having to deal with iLok turns me off big time. Someone tell me why it's worth it.

Brad
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Why does the thought of having to pick up an iLok just churn my stomach... I love the original Vintage Warmer and would love to check this out, but having to deal with iLok turns me off big time. Someone tell me why it's worth it.

Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2leod View Post
They give you the choice of either ilok or key code authorization. Great plug!
:D

I'm going to buy this plug eventually.
Old 16th January 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

i'm not necessarily PRO-iLok.. but i do have one... and i honestly don't see what the big deal is... one came with my MOTU MX-4 synth.. and it's incredibly handy... as i can simply take it out of my desktop and put it in my laptop if i'm traveling and have all of my authorizations.

having to waste a USB port is a minor pain, but nothing a hub can't take care of.

as a matter of fact.. i've had more problems with challenge/response authorizations over the years or missing serial numbers than i have iLok problems. i've had ZERO iLok problems, and probably a dozen challenge/response problems...

uh oh, i AM starting to sound pro-iLok..

but, really, it's not that big of a deal, especially when you get one included with something, like i did with MX-4..

it does kind of suck when you have to shell out $40 to buy one just to DEMO a piece of software.. or shell out $40 for it on a plug you're spending $120 on or something.. but, over time, as you get more licenses on it, it starts to make sense...

i guess i've been fortunate enough to not have LOST my iLok yet... i'l probably sing a different tune when that happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post

Brad
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well it sounds like I can still have the key code authorization if I choose. Thanks for the clarification. That's good. Ilok makes sense from a copy protection stand point when all your plugins use it, but for me to have it for just one plugin makes no sense...that would double my upgrade cost.

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search