The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP Vintage Warmer 2
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

you can choose between ilok or response code.
can i install it on more than one machine with response code?
what is the sound difference between v1 and now v2?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I have to say, I'm not as moved as I was when I first heard it. Yes, the saturation isn't as grating as Version1's, but there are SO many flavors of that out there already. (And none of them are as good as overdriving my V78M.) I've tried it on a few different tracks and it pretty much has the flavor of...well...the old Vintage Warmer. heh What was I expecting?

Perhaps the VW's high end is a bit less dodgy than it used to be. I'll have to give it some more time, I suppose, but trying it on a variety of sources I'm just not getting the improvement in fidelity that I was really hoping for. On the 2-buss? No way. Maybe on some drum tracks that need to be roughed up, or on something thin that needs its particular kind of thickening.

Cheers.

Old 21st January 2007
I managed to use it as a limiter on a dense rock/metal material. It worked great. Much better than McDSP ML4000 and Massey L2007 in terms of keeping drums attack alive.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

We quickly tested it this afternoon on a tr-909 and some live drums. One of the presets changed a simple tr-909 sequence into a kicking smashing tr-909 sequence. When we made the signal a little hotter our mouths fell open. This distortion sounds real (analogue), unlike some expensive plugins promising the same thing. It sounded better on the drums than some highend hardware compressors do.
I'm looking forward to feeding it more sounds tomorrow.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

hardware highend compressors?
i have heared once the phoenix compressor and waves ssl.
its 3d versus pancake flat

but your statements are very apprecciated.
i am curious...
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

any other opinions?
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

I have not tried it yet, because I had some mixes which used v1 and I read somewhere that the DAW would not instantly switch a v2 in place of a v1 plugin. Kind of logical too, so that why I am still waiting to get the green light on these mixes and then I'll switch.

I love Vintage Warmer, it does not sound flat to me. It's sortof the Distressor of plugins IMHO. And yes I have both (offcourse it doesn't sound exactly the same, but I mean it is both character tools.) Sometimes I don't find the converter roundtrip worth it.
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

I used to use VW a lot; I actually forgot it was on my hard drive. I've been doing mostly acoustic/vocal stuff recently, maybe that's why.

The upgrade from VW to VWII is $50. Anyone decided this is worth it?
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

It was worth it to me because I got an intel Mac and VW version 1 won't run on it. There are a few extra features in version 2, which may or may not be "must have" for you. If you don't have an intel Mac and don't feel a burning need for the new features, I don't see why you would want to update the plugin. It sounds the same, as far as I can tell.
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

I suppose if you don't use it, why upgrade?
VW2 gives you auto-release. FAT oversampling--which sounds improved to me.
It is my favorite plug-in, although I still find myself baffled at times when figuring out some of the knobs on the back. I'm making progress.
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

VW2 is sounding super sweet on kicks and snares to me. I think the improvements and added features are well worth the $50.

Brad
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
VW2 is sounding super sweet on kicks and snares to me. I think the improvements and added features are well worth the $50.

Brad
I finally bought it, and it is cool for fixing up lame drum sounds, when i am mixing something I didnt record....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search