The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neyrinck Release V-Control Pro 2 - A New Open Controller Platform
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Neyrinck Release V-Control Pro 2 - A New Open Controller Platform

V-Control Pro

V-Control Pro 2 is a completely new system that revolutionizes how controllers connect to software, giving you hands-on control of your audio and video projects using almost any device. Adjust the mix at a live show with your phone. Tap your watch to start recording from a drum set. Set up a 32-track mix console with two tablets. Use a laptop to get a large time counter display. V-Control Pro puts you in control so you can create your masterpiece.

Legacy V-Control Pro 1 Support
V-Control Pro 1 for the iPad is fully supported by V-Control Pro 2 and does not require a license. To use V-Control Pro v 1.9, just download and install V-Control Pro 2 and connect just like you did with Ney-Fi previously. At any time you can optionally license V-Control Pro 2 license to get new features such as 32-track control, smartphone control, and Android.

Controller Apps
V-Control Pro uses controller apps on mobile devices, browsers, and MIDI hardware controllers. You can install one of several apps available at vcontrolpro.com on your device. V-Control Pro will connect it to media applications on your computer such as Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic Pro, and many more. V-Console, for example, provides an eight or sixteen track bank of faders, mute, solo, and full transport control. V-Panner provides two surround panners to work with Pro Tools. V-Remote provides basic transport control with the Apple Watch. Because V-Control Pro uses the open Core Control system, new controller apps can easily be created for new and existing applications. No more proprietary protocols. No more obstacles.

Controller Devices
V-Control Pro supports many popular devices: tablets, smartphones, notebook computers, Apple Watch, Android, and iOS. To set up your device, just browse to vcontrolpro.com and select the app you want to use. Many apps operate as web apps that install in seconds. Because V-Control Pro is built using standard web technologies, many kinds of devices can control media applications on your computer, fast and easy.
  • iPad
  • iPhone
  • Android Tablet
  • Android Phone
  • Web Browsers
  • Apple Watch (coming soon)

Connect Controllers To Media Applications
V-Control Pro runs as a menu-bar application on your Mac computer (Windows coming soon). It automatically connects media applications such as Pro Tools, Cubase, and Logic Pro to controller apps and devices. The Setups window shows all your devices, applications, and connected setups. It also provides powerful custom configuration for MIDI controllers. And you can configure multiple devices for up to 32 tracks of mix control.

Built On Core Control
Core Control is a new technology invented by Paul Neyrinck that revolutionizes how control surfaces and software connect. We originally created V-Control Pro for iPad, one of the most popular and reliable control surfaces available anywhere. Many users contacted us asking for features that were impossible because of antiquated, proprietary control protocols. After a lot of research and development, Paul created the Core Control system that solves all the problems. Core Control was inspired in part by ASIO, CoreAudio, and MIDI. Core Control provides the same advantages so everyone’s products can work together. Core Control is an open-source system that uses standard technologies, which means the end of proprietary protocols and a new beginning of control innovation.

Licensing
All features are enabled by activating a license. The license can be activated on a computer directly or an iLok USB key, depending on your preference. V-Control Pro 1 is fully functional without a license.

Free Trial
V-Control Pro provides limited features for free so you can test it with your workflows. The Setups window displays which control features are disabled when running as a free trial. V-Control Pro 1 is fully functional for free.

License cost: $ 49.99/Year (US Dollars)

Further info: https://neyrinck.com/products/v-cont...2/overview/#pm

Last edited by Diogo C; 15th September 2015 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Licensing, price and trial info added. Thanks for posting!
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

$49.99 per year?!

https://neyrinck.com/product/v-control-pro-2/
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

So...

No upgrade for V1 users.

Hmm ...

G
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Can I use it to create a controller on OSX, for a program that also runs on OSX?

Or, am I limited to using a 2nd device?

If so, can I at least use a Mac computer as a device, or does the device have to be a iOS or Android device?

I now see in the list that a "web browser" can be a device?
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Can I use it to create a controller on OSX, for a program that also runs on OSX?

Or, am I limited to using a 2nd device?

If so, can I at least use a Mac computer as a device, or does the device have to be a iOS or Android device?

I now see in the list that a "web browser" can be a device?
Computer Browsers | V-Control Pro
Old 15th September 2015
Sounds promising. "Windows coming soon" - seems like I could soon be putting my Surface Pro to work as a controller for the DAW workstation.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
fuk this subscription based shi at.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
Quote:
fuk this subscription based shi at.
So, renting high-gend gear for the few times it is needed is not valid?

Or renting a car when you take a business trip to another city?

Or renting a hotel room whilst on vacation?

I agree that renting software may seem senseless, but if you use it enough, and the maintenance/upgrades are included, the price might just be quite reasonable.

Everyone decide for themselves, of course.
Old 15th September 2015
not crazy about rentals, but the price is very mild and Paul makes top notch stuff...so i'm in.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Subscription, what?? count me out.. I read somewhere (maybe here) that the dev was involved with Slate MTI/X software. Not sure if it was just a rumor or proven but it is interesting they've gone to the subscription model too. Software looks nice though.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak View Post
Subscription, what?? count me out.. I read somewhere (maybe here) that the dev was involved with Slate MTI/X software. Not sure if it was just a rumor or proven but it is interesting they've gone to the subscription model too. Software looks nice though.
Yes, their Ney-Fi protocol is part of the Raven system -- handles the communication protocol to the DAW, IIRC.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Nut

I felt that the first version of this was worth $50. But adding new (but expected) features and charging $50 a year? That just feels wrong … it's as if they want to up the price of a permanent license to $200 but they know people wouldn't pay for it. Count me out.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting to note they don't mention it at all in their marketing, if this is their strategy, they should mention it at the very least, before you go to the buy section and you're confronted with $49.99/year.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, renting high-gend gear for the few times it is needed is not valid?

Or renting a car when you take a business trip to another city?

Or renting a hotel room whilst on vacation?

I agree that renting software may seem senseless, but if you use it enough, and the maintenance/upgrades are included, the price might just be quite reasonable.

Everyone decide for themselves, of course.
I'm not against subscription as a model, but I think this is overpriced when Avid have just released "Control" for Pro Tools which is free and I hear there's iPad control software for Logic now too. The competition is heating up.
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
I'm not against subscription as a model, but I think this is overpriced when Avid have just released "Control" for Pro Tools which is free and I hear there's iPad control software for Logic now too. The competition is heating up.
i'll be darned.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester View Post
i'll be darned.
Please stop over-contributing, Marty...

I'm an owner of V-Control 1. I'm about to upgrade to Pro Tools 12 which comes with free use of their control App, so I'm definitely interested in what V-Control 2 offers over that, for the cost of an extra $50 a year.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Ok...I bought it...eh...rented it....
I was under the impression that this is a more advanced V-Control...
.....well it is...and it is not....
what is great is you can now have 32 tracks on what ever interface you want ( almost)...Ipad,Android Tablets....in fact about everything that has a compatible browser...these are web apps...though it is limited to 4 devices at the same time...
Its a web app that can do OSC...
Next to it is a new host app...
Here you connect to your controller devices and you can even add physical midi controllers and let them learn commands...
Unfortunately it does not work for other OSC devices...just midi.

It is stated that you can run V-console also on 1st generation Ipads....
I yet could not get a connection to my computer with 1st.gen...
(Touch OSC was working so it must be something wrong with VConsole here)
....but it worked flawlessly on my newer Ipads...

What I don't like on Vconsole is the that you don't get a grafik feedback when you touch a fader....you are never sure if you grabbed the fader until you move it...
the meters are ugly and flickering and far from precise...

you can only select a channel on the very top of the channel and might open the automation window by accident all the time...

you can not gesture swipe banks...

you can not swipe multiple solo or mute or record....have to touch every single one..

pans are not centered on VConsole while they are in logic....

No color coding for the channels....(Logic remote can do it...so it is OSC....so it should be possible...?)

There should be more skins available...something with longer faders...or 32 channels on one skin for larger touchscreens...

All in all I can see the idea and it is not bad...but to be honest I expected a bit more....

...open VControl2 to other OSC devices (touch OSC)

....connection from a browser running on the same computer where DAW/VControl2 is running...and add multitouch for MAC to it...(we know you can do it))

A skin creation software ...where users can change and share skins...

make it possible to switch between applications ...like logic and mio console....
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear
Mmm, so I've owned V-Control Pro (1) for a few years and love it... However, it updated to the new server yesterday and now the V-Window crashes the app when I hit "Select" (in V-Window).
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

I was really hoping for the vcontrol plug in window on android... that's really the only killer feature. Hands-on plug in control of pro tools!
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Addict

What does this offer that V1 does not? Rental only, no thanks!
Old 16th September 2015
This is a losing strategy for Neyrinck. When your competition enters the ring with free alternatives you don't make your product *less* attractive. As a consumer, and Neyrinck 1 owner, it's hard to understand their logic here.
Old 16th September 2015
Definitely disappointed. I've owned V1 almost since it came out. Paid $50 for a (permanent) license; the most expensive app I've ever bought by far. I would have hoped for more from Neyrinck. At the very least, some kind of discount for existing users. C'est la vie.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Long time owner and constant user of V1. Having watched the video I can't say I see much of interest (for myself). The only advance that I could see is that I could use two iPads simultaneously. <shrug>

The subscription model is extremely distasteful to me. Especially at $50/year.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, their Ney-Fi protocol is part of the Raven system -- handles the communication protocol to the DAW, IIRC.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

It's very useful and intuitive, however the subscription model is a bit too far for me on this one, which is a disappointment really - I'd happily have spent about £60 -70 for a full licence.

Too much competition in the app market for me to bite...
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear
Considering there are many alternatives, including free ones from Pro Tools themselves, and great options like Lemur, the subscription model makes this a mustn't buy. Especially at that price, which is gigantic relative to iOS apps in general. A smaller sub, like $10 might work, or better yet, give customers the choice between an outright buy, with upgrade fees, or a sub. $50 to buy, or $10 -$15 a year to subscribe. If people don't bite, it will come anyway.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

good luck with this
Old 19th September 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

RIP, Neyrinck
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
This is a losing strategy for Neyrinck. When your competition enters the ring with free alternatives you don't make your product *less* attractive. As a consumer, and Neyrinck 1 owner, it's hard to understand their logic here.
I've beeing using v1 for over 3 years… and I paid $50 for it. This is by far the most expensive software I bought for my iPad.

This hole subscription thing going on is too bad. AVID, then Slate, then this…

I'm out...
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I've beeing using v1 for over 3 years… and I paid $50 for it. This is by far the most expensive software I bought for my iPad.

This hole subscription thing going on is too bad. AVID, then Slate, then this…

I'm out...
At least Slate gives a choice of subscription vs outright purchase.
📝 Reply