The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neyrinck Release V-Control Pro 2 - A New Open Controller Platform
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Neyrinck has really f$&)d this up.

The subscription model for something like this is ridiculous. If I moan about $200 a year for Pro Tools, $50 a year for this is absurd.

And the way it was handled... ugh. Working product in the morning, update my iPad, presto, broken product an hour later.

Not to mention that I can't get it to work yet. I'm assuming that will happen at some point.

But they also removed one of the most useful features, which was the window that allowed you to hop back and forth between whatever was open on your pc. So, I could work in PT, then if I needed to adjust gain on a mic pre on my ULN-8, over to the MH app, then back to PT.

The only solution is to restore my iPad from a backup AND NEVER UPDATE V-CONTROL PRO EVER AGAIN.
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Perhaps we should all be applying for app store refunds , product no longer works.
Old 14th October 2015
I ponied up for the update, mostly because I wanted to have sixteen faders on my iPad 2. Unfortunately the performance is poor, with the interface being laggy. Also the lack of ability to swipe to move the faders is a major drawback (you have to press a series of buttons as far as I can tell to move banks).

The concept is ambitious. By using a web app, it should theoretically make a much easier to support across multiple platforms, but I think the addition of a whole other layer of software on a relatively weak processor is not viable.

In contrast, the Pro Tools Control app is super smooth on my iPad. But is limited to 8 faders. 16 would be vastly more useful IMO.
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

ProTools EuControl

I do think that there will be progress in Avid´s ipad software as well, so i don't see any need so far to go with other applications in this area. As some off you already said, the subscription model will be challenged for all company, people can't afford all those subscriptions in the long run, and that will get to the point where some developer will close their business in this area, thats for sure. A while back i was close to buy this application but for now the EuControll suites my need and as said i really expect Avid to do progress with it.
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Maniac

This app used to be great in v1 when it was an actual APP now it runs inside a browser as it's web based (lol?) which is laggy as mentioned above and the kick in the nuts is the new and improved subscription model
Old 15th October 2015
This seems like a joke... or a test. A marketing exploration to study "suckers." A couple of multi-millionaires betting each other to implement the worst business practice. Randolph and Mortimer's $1 bet.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

Apart from the subscription, I don't understand this:

https://neyrinck.com/products/v-control-pro2/

Quote:
"Legacy V-Control Pro 1 Support
V-Control Pro 1 for the iPad is fully supported by V-Control Pro 2 and does not require a license. Ney-Fi has been renamed to V-Control Pro 2. To use V-Control Pro v 1.9, just download and install V-Control Pro 2 and connect just like you did with Ney-Fi previously. At any time you can optionally license V-Control Pro 2 to get new features such as 32-track control, smartphone control, and Android."
Doesn't this imply that the old type (no browser, version 1.9) is still supposed to work?
Old 16th October 2015
Deleted 307cb3c
Quote:
Doesn't this imply that the old type (no browser, version 1.9) is still supposed to work?
Hey Mike

You understand it correctly, the V-Control Pro V1.9.1 is still supported and works. The only difference is that you use a different software running on your computer to connect to your tablet. What used to be Ney-Fi is now called V-Control Pro (2.0.1.4.) you can download that app from their website here:
https://neyrinck.com/products/v-cont...2/download/#pm

This is not the subscription app, this is only the computer connecting software that you need to run to be able to use V-Control 1.9.1 app.

When they first made this change there were a lot of issues and the app was unusable for a period of time, now it seems to be stable. I can confirm that running OSX Yosemite and iPad Air I am able to run these latest updates and it looks functional, no crashes. There might be issues that I am not aware of because I use it mostly for V-window so there might be things I don’t see that are still broken.
Old 16th October 2015
Deleted 307cb3c
Fun Fact:

The V-Control Pro APP which use to be $49.99 is now available for “only” $124.99.
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you for the info/confirmation Paul. I was having trouble when I first upgraded to Yosemite and gave up. Just didn't get back to it. So it looks like I have now (accidentally) waited long enough!

It'll be nice to have it back as it works extremely well as a remote.

The software world is most definitely moving to subscription, but I'll pass (at least for now). Especially as it appears it doesn't really work (which is quite a surprise).
Old 8th March 2016
This app does not work like the Version 1, it's a shame
Old 9th March 2016
Yeah.. i kind of gave up on it.. its missing some of the v1 features as welll the vwindow especially... !
Old 23rd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjadams View Post
Yeah.. i kind of gave up on it.. its missing some of the v1 features as welll the vwindow especially... !
Is there any other app to control pro tools from the iPad?
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

I've never seen a company commit suicide like this... I was so envious of v window and it almost made me buy an ipad multiple times. I kept strong, and 'd be raging if I'd paid for both and then got 'upgrade' to v2
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

I'm using 1.9 or whatever the "don't pay any money" version of the new software is. Works fine. No different than the old one that I can see. V-window is there and everything.
Old 24th March 2016
I've download the pro tools control app for iPad and it works better than the v control app, and it's free
Old 25th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
I'm using 1.9 or whatever the "don't pay any money" version of the new software is. Works fine. No different than the old one that I can see. V-window is there and everything.
How did you get it to work?
I tried the directions for cubase and i can't get it to work.
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Im still using the earlier version, I did the upgrade, also could not get it to work so I replaced the file in the itunes app directory with the older file I had from a backup.

the only issue now is I always have 1 app update waiting, and I have to remember to not press "update all apps" but even if I do I just have to replace it again.
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTerd View Post
How did you get it to work?
I tried the directions for cubase and i can't get it to work.
I'm using PT12. I just downloaded, installed, made sure the V-Control was seeing my computer and it worked.

Their support guy, who's posted in this thread, I believe, is good, you might try sending him an email or opening a ticket.

I understand the negativity surrounding their completely botched introduction of the new version, it was truly a disaster. But, like a lot of things on the net, it got a little overdone. It's still a useful tool.

Please post back if you have any luck.
Old 25th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
I'm using PT12. I just downloaded, installed, made sure the V-Control was seeing my computer and it worked.

Their support guy, who's posted in this thread, I believe, is good, you might try sending him an email or opening a ticket.

I understand the negativity surrounding their completely botched introduction of the new version, it was truly a disaster. But, like a lot of things on the net, it got a little overdone. It's still a useful tool.

Please post back if you have any luck.
Well i just updated the os from mavarick to el capitan and upgraded cubase 8 to 8.5. Then i tried out V-control and now it works again.
Old 23rd April 2016
Here for the gear

Can you please tell me if there is any way to download the old version V.1 iPad app if I never had it.. I hate the new web based app in version ! PLEASE HELP!!!
📝 Reply